PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Window Protector

Mr_Sheesh
10-26-2017, 12:40 AM
Hi all.

In this state us "vertically challenged" folks can, in some circumstances, shoot from the car. (messed up knee, makes it hard to walk far...) Have to have engine off before loading, etc. etc., but for varminting when you can't really walk, should do. (I can look the law up if anyone in another state wants to suggest it to their congressfolks; There are 2 sections of laws for disabled folks, I need to make sure I understand it properly before I use it o'course, so I am for SURE legal.)

I used to have a rubber piece I used in one blind that had a car window (Roll up for cold days; Roll down to shoot) but it's missing.

So I am looking for ideas - Something 1.5-3" square or round, of a solid highish durometer (i.e. pretty tough) rubber, I can arrange a slot in it for the glass. Could try wood with a rubber pad maybe, but that's not quite as good I'd think?

Or does anyone out there make one of these commercially? (If not maybe I should look into that as a business, there are enough winged shooters, sadly!) It's good not to break your driver's side window when you bump it hard in trying to line up on a Coyote fast, etc. :)

LeadPoisonTX
10-26-2017, 12:57 AM
I use these on my rifle and they work great: rrrgunrest.com

Mr_Sheesh
10-26-2017, 01:09 AM
Interesting, same basic thing. Hmmm :)

Mr_Sheesh
10-26-2017, 04:52 AM
That got me thinking {Uh oh!} - I can maybe make a fabric sack that I'd drop onto the top of the window, fill that with dry rice or split peas or something, that might be a good answer - As I'd rest my hand/forearm on it. Or I can find some rubber sheets and get them laser cut (I was given a worn old laser cutter / engraver, friend's set it up so I get to use it. Can't really vent burning stuff fumes HERE, that's why I'll have a fume scrubber once I get into a house LOL) - then tie the stack of them together somehow, that could work too. I'll try the fabric sack soonish as I can fake it with a pant leg or something pretty easily, even with MY horrid sewing skills :P

missionary5155
10-26-2017, 07:32 AM
Good morning
How about one of those shooting rest bags made of leather... turn it upside down so the groove is on the window and the flat side up ???
Mike in Peru

Texas by God
10-26-2017, 08:42 AM
Pipe insulation is your friend. It comes pre-slit and stays on the window or the gun well. We've used it for years shooting varmints from the truck on our ranch and doggin' on the High Plains.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

WebMonkey
10-26-2017, 08:55 AM
Pool noodle

Mr_Sheesh
10-26-2017, 08:59 AM
missionary5155 - Not sure I've seen one of those but sounds like the same thing as a rice-filled bag.

Texas by God & WebMonkey - I'd thought of those, but thought maybe they were too soft; I guess since my off hand will be there supporting things that's a moot point. Easy to get, just not what I thought I needed, at first :) Might try that first.

skeettx
10-26-2017, 01:09 PM
Go to the bank, get a zippered bank bag for FREE
Add wheat, or rice or ??
Zip up, done
Mike

baogongmeo
10-26-2017, 01:46 PM
Pipe insulation is your friend. It comes pre-slit and stays on the window or the gun well. We've used it for years shooting varmints from the truck on our ranch and doggin' on the High Plains.

This works great and is cheap and for your door mirror, make a longer than normal sandbag from the leg from a worn-out pair of jeans... fill it about two thirds full with corn or soybeans or sand and you can let it droop over the mirror for a good rest.

Walter Laich
10-26-2017, 01:57 PM
never had much luck with sand staying where it's supposed to stay. Seems it can end up everywhere after one or two uses

just saying . . .

Mr_Sheesh
10-26-2017, 04:30 PM
skeettx, I bank at a credit union but smart idea :)

baogongmeo, my vehicle has lower mirrors, I'd use the glass; No way for you to know o'course :)

Walter Laich, definitely. Used to run a sandblaster as a summer job as a kid & I'll use rice or split peas or beans any day over sand.

baogongmeo
10-26-2017, 07:05 PM
never had much luck with sand staying where it's supposed to stay. Seems it can end up everywhere after one or two uses

just saying . . .

A one gallon zip-lock bag inside the cloth sandbag works wonders.

SSGOldfart
10-26-2017, 11:33 PM
Pool noodle

And get the fat ones about $2 at most dollar stores

Mtnfolk75
10-27-2017, 12:42 AM

/\/\/\/\ This ..... I'm also challenged as a Bi-Ped and have a Disabled License that allows me to shoot from a Vehicle when it is stopped and the Engine is off. I've used the Pipe Insulation for a couple of years, the only Caveat is I have to have an Able Bodied Person in the Vehicle to assist with Game Recovery [smilie=s:

runfiverun
10-27-2017, 02:19 AM
Pool noodle
yep.
I got a blue one for my side and a pink one for the other.
they help steady the binoculars.

Mr_Sheesh
10-27-2017, 02:29 AM
Has to be an able bodied person w/ a hunting license, here, for retrieval. I haven't found one so far. But not absolutely necessary to retrieve varmints.

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-28-2017, 01:19 AM
I scrounged a 12" long piece of 2x6. Set up my table saw for a 3" cut, and cut the board down the center vertically. Got a scrap piece of Berger carpet at the local store, and Gorilla glued it on the top.
Roll the window down to suit, set the slit on top of the window, and have at it.

Rich