PDA

View Full Version : Anybody from Arkansas?

tinhorn97062
10-25-2017, 10:42 PM
School me up on deer/bear hunting in the Ozarks...

Is it public, or all private? How big is an Arkansas deer? Lots of beers, or limited? Lots of people in the woods, or can you get lost somewhere and not see anybody?

winelover
10-26-2017, 06:19 AM
This may get answer your questions.

https://www.agfc.com/en/hunting/

Arkansas, like other states, have different distinct areas. Variety of habitats, thus a variety of game animals.

I retired here from Michigan. I own and hunt my own acreage. There a hogs and bears in the area, but I have seen none, nor any sign. I have seen Bobcats, on more than one occasion. Turkeys are around. I choose not to hunt them. Deer come in a variety of sizes. Some small and some that rival the size of Michigan farm country deer.....where I use to hunt.

I live in Zone 3, where we have a 3 point rule. Three points, on one side. Seasons dates and bag limits vary by zone. Last week I harvested this big bodied 6 point with a crossbow, after passing several smaller bucks.

Had a difficult time, loading it on the back of the hitch-hauler, by myself.

Winelover

phonejack
10-26-2017, 08:39 AM
There are State and Federal lands that are open to the public. Until recently I hunted south- central beginning in 1974. Down there land that is private or timber company owned is leased up by hunting clubs. Purple paint and gated roads mark such properties.

Handloader109
10-26-2017, 06:42 PM
I'm up in the north west corner. Don't really hunt any more, I see a few deer, kind of spotty, where I was in Central Mississippi, I had dozens on my semi wooded land, but couldn't hunt due to it being in the city. No bears close that I've seen, east and south in the Boston mountains and ozarks there are both.