PDA

View Full Version : Who can modify my Lee mold???

762X51
10-21-2017, 06:23 PM
I have a Lee 358-158-RF that I really like except for the beveled base. Figuring it would be easier to just get a new mold than mess with having one modified I ordered an NOE 360-154-WFN. I'm not fond of the tiny band ahead of the crimp groove on the NOE mold and prefer the larger meplat and "fatter" nose on the Lee mold so it looks like I'm gonna just have to have my Lee mold modified. Is there anyone in particular y'all would recommend to do such a modification? Thanks.

RED333
10-21-2017, 09:32 PM
Just asking, what is wrong with the bevel base? To pay someone is gona cost a bit more than the mold is worth new. Push come to shove fix it your self, if you mess it up just buy another. How to fix it, round file, sand cloth wrapped around a dowel. It is Alu, wont take long.

runfiverun
10-21-2017, 10:34 PM
hand turning a drill bit in a press would cut it out too.
5 minutes with a dowell and some sand paper, some lapping compound, your pocket knife, whatever you got.
the worst that could happen is you make it a little too big and have to size it down in a size die.

country gent
10-21-2017, 10:39 PM
Ink the mould cavities with a magic marker or lay out ink something to make the surfaces stand out black or blue is fine as to color. With a new exacto blade in a handle slowly cut out the bevel base work carefully and watch the ink in the driving band. when you touch it stop. work slow and easy making sure to maintain square as best you can. This gets you very close then lightly lapp the cavities.

Cherokee
10-21-2017, 11:01 PM
I cast them out of 2/3/95 alloy and size them nose down in my Star sizer using a flat face punch, the bevel goes away and it becomes a square base.