PDA

View Full Version : oops

white eagle
10-21-2017, 05:13 PM
So I am full of ambition I am headed up to my land to cut firewood.
Got my quad in the back of my new 2016 F150 and I am raring to go.
Pass a group of cycles probably 30 in total most likely on their last ride for the season,I was planning on getting as far away from them as I could so passed my exit just thinking they would get on the big road but no they end up behind me.Well I am at a light waiting for the green and when I get it I roll into the intersection and my quad falls out of my truck and the ratchet strap come flying into my back window shattering it [smilie=1:.No one hurt luckily the bikers stayed back while this happened.Near as I can tell the strap was hooked onto the cheap plastic Ford bedliner and was never actually hooked in the tie down anchor and when I moved forward it lost its hold and the quad did to.
While I was clearing the oncoming right lane of my quad some jerk decided to drive rite in front of me and the nice fellow that stopped to help.A 700.00 dollar day............

starmac
10-21-2017, 05:58 PM
Ah, one of the many reasons I still like long bed pickups.

What was it that cost 700 bucks??
Probably 8 to 10 times a year here I see folks lose there quads off of trailers, or out of the pickup beds. It is usually at highway speeds and totals the quad or close to it, and everyone I have ever stopped to help had them tied down with the worthless 1 inch straps.

white eagle
10-21-2017, 06:18 PM
the 700 was to replace the back window
I had on a 2.5" strap that was about 24' in length
I had it run diagonally through the rear and front racks and across the quad
me too I see those Walmart straps lying on the highway alot

merlin101
10-21-2017, 06:30 PM
Sorry to hear about the window and glad it wasn't worse.
I tie my quad down at the tires, that way I don't have the suspension compressing and releasing tension on the straps.

starmac
10-21-2017, 06:50 PM
Ah, missed the window, that just sucks.

I actually lost one once, I started up a steep hill on an old logging road and it just rolled out the back, it hit on it's wheels so no damage to either truck or wheeler.

runfiverun
10-21-2017, 10:23 PM
that's why i use 2 of the 1-1/2" straps.
both go from the back of the wheeler to the tie down hooks in the front of the bed.
it's kind of a pain to strap everything in place,,,, But.

Hannibal
10-21-2017, 10:28 PM
Heck, the doggone 1" rubber tie-downs and ladders are what I see all over the road. You'd think people would learn, but apparently not.

starmac
10-21-2017, 11:39 PM
that's why i use 2 of the 1-1/2" straps.
both go from the back of the wheeler to the tie down hooks in the front of the bed.
it's kind of a pain to strap everything in place,,,, But.

A friend of mine loaned another friend of mine his four wheeler AND one of his pickups. He tied down the rear only. I do not know what size straps he used but they were apparently sufficient, cuz he hit a bump on the trail at probably 25 mile an hour or so, but the bump was a 5 mile an hour bump. It bounced the front of the wheeler up and did a back flip, the straps held but it did some serious,serious damage to the handle bars and instrument panel. lol It was not totaled, but took some bucks to put it back together.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-22-2017, 01:05 PM
For an ATV, I use 4 straps, one on each corner.

nun2kute
10-22-2017, 02:17 PM
Don't get me wrong, but that is funny ! Because it reminds me of something I seen a long while ago. I was sitting at a red light, right behind someone musta been doing a project on their house. Piled a bunch of 2X4's on top of about six inches of snow, with about a dozen 8' sheets of drywall on top of that. The Drag light turned green and he took off, strew the boards out, but that pile of drywall stayed right where it was at the light. I LMAO the whole time I helped him put it back in the truck.

Mal Paso
10-22-2017, 05:50 PM
ALL them straps have hooks with No Keepers. Hit a bump, the suspension flexes, the hook comes off. I had a water tank on it's side with one of those big USA straps around the middle on my flatbed trailer. Hit a bump, looked in my mirror to see the tank rocking side to side attached to nothing. One of the sides was 500' Down, I got out and chocked that side fast. LOL

ol skool
10-22-2017, 09:35 PM
Anyone use rope? Bowline, butterfly and a couple half hitch.

Hickok
10-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Wow, I bet there was some new cuss words being made up and used in long sentences at that mishap!:redneck:

White Eagle, just kidding you a little bit, but my German ancestry would have been coming out if it happened to me!:bigsmyl2:

myg30
10-23-2017, 03:52 PM
Glad your ok. Sorry about the mis hap but things could have been worse. Glad no one was hurt.
Those rings recessed inside the bed liner are hard to get at I know. Helped a friend strap down a tool box. Luckily a quick second check before departure we saw the hook wasn't through the ring.

Mike

white eagle
10-24-2017, 09:04 AM
Wow, I bet there was some new cuss words being made up and used in long sentences at that mishap!:redneck:

White Eagle, just kidding you a little bit, but my German ancestry would have been coming out if it happened to me!:bigsmyl2:

oh believe me there was especially when the old guy drove in front of me when i was trying to clear the lane
the other 1/2 of my ancestry is German as well

Rick Hodges
10-31-2017, 05:16 PM
I tow mine in a landscape trailer. Two 2 1/2" boat transom tie downs one front and one rear, and four 1.5" straps with safety springs on the hooks....and I am still paranoid about it.

Plate plinker
10-31-2017, 07:48 PM
No atv hear but when I haul cars or other heavy stuff I use chains and binders. Wood usually gets commercial grade ratchet straps. Use your model my friends.