PDA

View Full Version : USPS Money orders

bobthenailer
10-20-2017, 06:42 AM
I recently tried to cash a USPS MO for a item I sold on this web sight for $138.60 but after paying $13.60 for shipping and $19.60 for 2 books of stamps they only had to come up with $105.40 !
Well after going to 3 local USPS offices between 11:00 and 11:45 am none had enough money to cash there MO that would come to $105.40 . after going back to the largest USPS at 3:00 pm the same day they were able to cash there MO !
I was told that they all only start with $40.00 to $50.00 in the drawer each day! they all said call or check back later they( might) have the money.

IMO if you are going to sell & cash MO you should have the $ on hand to cash them at any time ! not be put on a merry go round to cash them.

6bg6ga
10-20-2017, 06:47 AM
Understood but they are no different than any other small business. A small business generally starts the day with somewhere between $50 and $100 and if things are slow they simply don't have cash on hand. I also tried to cash a money order before 12:00 and was told to come back later in the day.
I'm sure the guy walking in with a $400 money order feels the same way as you did.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-20-2017, 07:30 AM
I've had similar experiences, and now just deposit them like a regular personal check in my checking account.

mold maker
10-20-2017, 07:36 AM
USPS MOs are a PITA on both ends. I only use them if no other payment is accepted. PP may be anti-gun, but at least on the buying end it's hassel free. For us that have to make a special trip to the PO it can be a real problem and if it is a problem for the seller to get his funds it makes no sence at all.

Hardcast
10-20-2017, 08:21 AM
The post office is NOT a bank. If you need to cash a money order, take it to your bank. They should have plenty of cash to take care of your needs.

dragon813gt
10-20-2017, 08:23 AM
I don't understand why people try to cash them at the post office. Maybe it's because I never go to the post office. I deposit them at the bank like any other check. They're a complete hassle for me which is why I won't accept them.

myg30
10-20-2017, 08:42 AM
Post office money orders ( Pomo) I go to the bank ATM and deposit that way it's less hassle fer me unless I need to cash it and it's not a lot of money, a grocery store cust service desk has taken them just like they "used to" cash your work pay check.
Last time I needed a book of stamps I paid cash and the cash draw was low on bills and coin. She asked me if I could pay with a card cause nobody uses cash anymore, the draw was low.
I dislike going to the post office,always short handed, rules change depending on clerk, never have supply's stocked out front where the priority flat rate boxs and envelopes were.
Most of the old full time clerks are gone.
It's a job I don't think I would like to have. But When all the stars line up, they really do a good job and handle a lot of volume.

Mike

farmerjim
10-20-2017, 08:47 AM
I also hate postal money orders. It takes a special trip to the PO and a fee. I prefer to send a personal check. I don't mind if the seller waits for it to clear ( 1or 2 days now). I don't like paypal either, I have to want something bad before I will use it.
As to only starting a cash box with only $40 to $50, I start my farmers market cash box with $350 and keep $200 in 20's in my wallet to break $100 bills for customers.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-20-2017, 08:53 AM
It appears I am part of the Lucky few, who live in a small town with a post Office that is rarely crowded with patrons. More than once, I had a MO that was too large for the cash in the drawer, so the clerk just asked the Post Master to get more cash from the safe to cover the MO.

NSB
10-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Just go to the bank. Any bank will cash them. The post office starts its day off with very little cash and with the advent of putting credit card readers/payment in the post offices they receive even less cash. They mail things...they're not a bank.

keyhole
10-20-2017, 09:28 AM
Just go to the bank. Any bank will cash them. The post office starts its day off with very little cash and with the advent of putting credit card readers/payment in the post offices they receive even less cash. They mail things...they're not a bank.
---------------
agree completely

historicfirearms
10-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Not all banks will cash them. I've been turned away from many. Money orders should be redeemable on demand from the agency where they were purchased. Otherwise, what good are they?

NSB
10-20-2017, 11:16 AM
Not all banks will cash them. I've been turned away from many. Money orders should be redeemable on demand from the agency where they were purchased. Otherwise, what good are they?
Go to a bank where you have an account. A lot of banks don't want to deal with anyone who isn't an account holder....like cashing personal checks, etc from other banks.

mold maker
10-20-2017, 11:17 AM
If they're not a bank, what are they doing selling you checks? Their rates are high, their service is lousy, their reputation for service has tanked.
I never heard of taking the MO to a bank. If ya have an account at the bank, why not use a bank check and eliminate the PO all together?
I'm at the bank at least once a week, I'll do all my money biz there and save trips.

bedbugbilly
10-20-2017, 12:00 PM
While you may not agree with it, a local PO is no different than a small business - they are not thee to cash checks postal money orders, private money orders, etc. Yes, the SELL them - but a grocery store sells food as well and do you expect them to cook it for you? "Cash drawers" are limited for a reason - and unfortunately, it is because of dishonest employees who have spoiled it for others. Our family owned a small business and on Friday night, we always had Ford employees come in with their paychecks (MUCH larger than what our's were) and expect us to cash them. Sorry, that's what banks are for.

It makes a person wonder why you would waste time driving to three different postal facilities to cash a Postal MO when you could have easily cashed it at your bank - common sense ought to dictate that. If the PO clerk cashed your MO and it cleaned out most of the cash on hand, how are they supposed to take care of the many other customers that come in to buy stamps, mail items, etc. and need change?

Kestrel4k
10-20-2017, 03:34 PM
I literally drive right by two of my bank branches, twice daily. Their ATM's can take my MO's anytime day or night, and virtually always provide instant funds availability for subsequent checks or electronic transfers.

My PO is a little out of the way; frankly I've never considered cashing a MO at a PO.
I don't know what I would do with the cash anyway?

historicfirearms
10-20-2017, 04:16 PM
The whole point of a money order used to be that when you sold something, you knew you had a legitimate payment before you sent the item. Now it seems like a personal check is better. Just deposit it and wait for it to clear, same a a good old postal money order.

MyFlatline
10-20-2017, 04:28 PM
USPS MOs are a PITA on both ends. I only use them if no other payment is accepted. PP may be anti-gun, but at least on the buying end it's hassel free. For us that have to make a special trip to the PO it can be a real problem and if it is a problem for the seller to get his funds it makes no sence at all.

I pass on many items because of the Postal Money order. To much of a PITA here too. PP is the best way, I like taking advantage of the anti gunners. Friends and Family are free..I also will do a personal check, yes hold it until you know it's good...Not everyone can and has the time to stand in line to get a MO or to cash one. Hard enough to get to wife to mail sumthing and you think I'm gonna give her a MO to cash????

sparky45
10-20-2017, 04:35 PM

IMO; if they're in the business of selling Money Orders, they aught to have money on hand to cash them as well.

ARKLITE881South
10-20-2017, 04:56 PM
The post office is NOT a bank. If you need to cash a money order, take it to your bank. They should have plenty of cash to take care of your needs.

This! :)

dragon813gt
10-20-2017, 05:07 PM
IMO; if they're in the business of selling Money Orders, they aught to have money on hand to cash them as well.

How many money orders do you think the PO sells per week? The one by me sells very little. Most people use MOs sold at gas stations or Western Union. Postal money orders as form of payment are only part of the gun community. For any other item PP is the norm.

gpidaho
10-20-2017, 05:31 PM
I'd have to want an item pretty bad to go and get a USPS money order The P.O. is a bigger PITA than the DMV. I'll pass on items if the seller wants paid in that way. PayPal or personal check or sell to someone else. Gp

swamp
10-20-2017, 06:11 PM
I use USPS money orders because I don't have a bank account. Haven't for years/

MyFlatline
10-20-2017, 06:41 PM
I use USPS money orders because I don't have a bank account. Haven't for years/

I am not a youngster by any means but can't imagine not having a bank account...My house is paid for but my insurance alone,( home, auto, boat, liability)would run me ragged to pay the premiums in cash at their office....Then we can list the taxes...No I don't want to get depressed...

jcwit
10-20-2017, 07:35 PM
I have a savings acct that dates back to when I was 2 days old way back in Oct. first, 1943, I also have my pension checks automatically depositied to one of my checking accts. I then have a second checking acct, which keeps me from having to run inside the gas station when buying gas. Makes it a whole lot easier for someone unable to walk.

No idea what I would do without these 2 checking accts.

Is it possible to hack into my 2nd checking acct.? Possible, but they'll never get more than $50.00, which will not change the way I eat or live.

alamogunr
10-20-2017, 07:57 PM
I did not know that you could take a USPS MO to the bank. I rarely have to cash a money order but often I do have to buy one when the seller will not accept a personal check.

After reading this I wonder what kind of difficulty people in Mexico have cashing USPS money orders. On Fridays, our small post office is crowded with "spanish surnamed americans"(and some non-americans) buying MO's to send back home.

legend 550
10-20-2017, 08:16 PM
USPS money orders are not worth the paper there written on out of USA. I found that out when I ordered some stuff from Canada. However WalMart money orders are good anywhere in the world.
Those "Spanish surnamed Americans" probably sending to Texas

snowwolfe
10-20-2017, 09:02 PM

Not true for me when I lived in Colorado and now Tennessee. Take one to a bank and they will gladly deposit it in your account then you can withdraw the same amount of cash, if you already had that much in your account. The MO will sit for a couple of days until it clears.

alamogunr
10-20-2017, 09:46 PM
If I ever have to accept a USPS MO again, I will take it to the bank. I deposit every thing so there will be a record of the receipt. I doubt that any MO I get will be large enough that I need the cash right away.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-21-2017, 10:58 AM
USPS money orders are not worth the paper there written on out of USA. I found that out when I ordered some stuff from Canada. However WalMart money orders are good anywhere in the world.
Those "Spanish surnamed Americans" probably sending to Texas

This reminds me of the troubles I had, when I accepted a cashiers check from the Royal Bank in Scotland...it was the strangest looking paper check, almost no words/writing on it, just a holographic symbol on one side and "Royal Bank in Scotland" across the top and the amount embossed in the lower corner...in Pounds, not US dollars. The local branch of my Bank wouldn't take it, I was told to bring it to the Bank headquarters building 20 miles away...they agreed to take it, but I had to fill out a form and they held the funds for 8 days.

white eagle
10-21-2017, 11:01 AM
use pay pal much faster
you can buy shipping labels and postage on line

higgins
10-21-2017, 11:13 AM
Has anyone taken a large MO to the PO to at least verify that it's authentic? Will a PO do that? I'm thinking of one for a couple hundred dollars or more. It would be worth the trip to the PO before going to the bank if a counterfeit MO comes back to the bank and the bank debits your account for the amount of the MO.

I've had the same problem with the small *** I use having enough cash on hand to cash a MO of even $50.

mold maker
10-21-2017, 11:15 AM
While you may not agree with it, a local PO is no different than a small business - they are not thee to cash checks postal money orders, private money orders, etc. Yes, the SELL them - but a grocery store sells food as well and do you expect them to cook it for you? "Cash drawers" are limited for a reason - and unfortunately, it is because of dishonest employees who have spoiled it for others. Our family owned a small business and on Friday night, we always had Ford employees come in with their paychecks (MUCH larger than what our's were) and expect us to cash them. Sorry, that's what banks are for.

It makes a person wonder why you would waste time driving to three different postal facilities to cash a Postal MO when you could have easily cashed it at your bank - common sense ought to dictate that. If the PO clerk cashed your MO and it cleaned out most of the cash on hand, how are they supposed to take care of the many other customers that come in to buy stamps, mail items, etc. and need change?

Why would you use a check or a big bill to buy a stamp? That's what banks are for. Besides you can buy stamps at groceries and even at some banks. You can even buy them from your local USPS carrier.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-21-2017, 11:20 AM
I just deposit money orders at my bank. I have never been able to cash a money order at the post office for more than $40. Now that I can mobile deposit checks from my phone I actually prefer personal checks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StolzerandSons
10-21-2017, 11:52 AM
Has anyone taken a large MO to the PO to at least verify that it's authentic? Will a PO do that? I'm thinking of one for a couple hundred dollars or more. It would be worth the trip to the PO before going to the bank if a counterfeit MO comes back to the bank and the bank debits your account for the amount of the MO.

I've had the same problem with the small *** I use having enough cash on hand to cash a MO of even $50.
I don't know if every P.O. will but my local will. They call a number and give the information and it is verified or not. Problem is just like a check the payment can be stopped on a M.O. after you have deposited it. When dealing with checks, or money orders I hold shipping until it clears my bank.

Smoke4320
10-21-2017, 11:55 AM

there is an 800 number to verify if its a REAL USPS MO

Accepting Money Orders. Before accepting a money order, make sure it's real. If you suspect fraud, call the U.S. Postal Inspection Service at 1-877-876-2455. If you think you’ve been given a fake money order, call the Money Order Verification System at 1-866-459-7822.

trebor44
10-21-2017, 12:59 PM
there is an 800 number to verify if its a REAL USPS MO

Accepting Money Orders. Before accepting a money order, make sure it's real. If you suspect fraud, call the U.S. Postal Inspection Service at 1-877-876-2455. If you think you’ve been given a fake money order, call the Money Order Verification System at 1-866-459-7822.

When in doubt make the call. Fraud is accomplished in many ways these days and all of the other payment schemes are and have been subject to them. Face to face and cash has it risks also. I like supporting the USPS, it may not be perfect but it is pretty darn good where I frequent it. And I like the folks who work there. Having lived in very small towns that only had the PO deliveries two days a week and growing up in very rural America, postal services are appreciated.

waksupi
10-21-2017, 02:41 PM
I love going to my post office. Not because it's convenient, not because I can buy stamps and money orders there. I love mine, because the post mistress has bodacious breastial development that is always a treat to see, especially in the summer time.

JBinMN
10-21-2017, 03:06 PM
I love going to my post office. Not because it's convenient, not because I can buy stamps and money orders there. I love mine, because the post mistress has bodacious breastial development that is always a treat to see, especially in the summer time.

LOL :D
:drinks:

Geezer in NH
10-21-2017, 05:20 PM
Not trying to launder or hide money I get I deposit them in the bank like any other check. They clear in 24 hrs same as personal checks , but without the 10 day chargeback like a personal check.

Yep been burned that way. There is no recourse at that point. Unless it is an instate check in NH. Then I give it to the police of the town and get collection rapidly unless the writer wants to be jailed.

God I love NH!!!!!

Lloyd Smale
10-24-2017, 06:19 AM
never found a bank around here that wont cash one.

lightman
10-27-2017, 06:34 AM
I cash mine at the bank that I have an account at. Its never been a problem. I live in a small town and get good service at the Post Office.

Mal Paso
10-29-2017, 09:11 PM
I thought Amazon bought USPS a while back. LOL