PDA

View Full Version : value of range lead, brass

eljefe
11-18-2005, 01:07 PM
My brother is negotiating with a defunct indoor range to resurrect it back to active status. There is a considerable amount of scrap range lead in buckets.
The landlord wants to either take it or have some compensation for it, along with numerous buckets of empy brass. I am trying to get an idea of what it is worth. I realize the brass value will vary by caliber, and my brother is not planning to do any large scale reloading. I wouldn't mind having the 45 acp as that is my favorite pistol caliber. Any insight is welcome, thanks in advance!

Willbird
11-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Tops on value for the range lead would probably be .10 per lb, probably quite a bit less, the local scrapyard pays .08 per lb.

Bill

MT Gianni
11-18-2005, 01:33 PM
The scrap shops are about $.03-.05 a lb for brass and $.05-.10 a lb for lead. Most tire shops that by corporate mandate have to dispose of their ww to a recycle firm pay to have someone haul them off but wnt let a caster pay them for 'em. go figger. I would offer a nickle to 10 cents for the lead if you needed it knowing it will probably be soft and 3 cents a lb for the brass with the 22's removed. I would call a recycling firm and confirm prices and ask what their pick up minimum would be and that fee and use all that in my negociating. Tell the owner your costs as heating fuel, time and clean up loss. Let him know that your price will be lower if you have to pick them up at his house in a year of so after his inaction to do anything with them. gianni.

RayinNH
11-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Eljefe, about 3 weeks ago I took a five gallon bucket of brass to the scrap yard. They paid .85 per pound. The brass was sorted so that it didn't contain any steel or aluminum casings...Ray

JBMauser
11-18-2005, 11:48 PM
I would keep my cash and put into the range and marketing to get it up and profitable. If he does that he will be swimming in lead and brass in no time at all. you will have a brass/lead factory. keep your eye on the ball. get the range in shape and busy! my humble advice. let him drag the swag off and clean the place up for you. Best of luck with the range! Jb

imashooter2
11-19-2005, 12:05 AM
I would keep my cash and put into the range and marketing to get it up and profitable. If he does that he will be swimming in lead and brass in no time at all. you will have a brass/lead factory. keep your eye on the ball. get the range in shape and busy! my humble advice. let him drag the swag off and clean the place up for you. Best of luck with the range! Jb

I concur. Tell the current owner you don't want it. I bet he leaves it. It must be more trouble than it's worth to him, or it would already be gone.

eljefe
11-19-2005, 04:26 PM
Thanks, gents! I have a clearer picture of what we are dealing with, now.
I appreciate you insights.
Mike

Four Fingers of Death
11-19-2005, 06:35 PM
I would try and buy this as all lead I have used from indoor ranges has been excellent stuff, generally very hard as most shooters buy shop bought lead boolits. It has all been very consistent and not dirty. Also doesn't have any clips.

KYCaster
11-19-2005, 07:52 PM
I would try and buy this as all lead I have used from indoor ranges has been excellent stuff, generally very hard as most shooters buy shop bought lead boolits. It has all been very consistent and not dirty. Also doesn't have any clips.

My experience has been just the opposite, lots of dust, powder residue, paper from targets and cardboard, lots of copper jackets and shotgun wads, both paper and plastic. Generally 25 to 30% garbage.

I've also found it to be somewhat softer than WW, having lots of jacketed bullet cores, swaged wadcutters, rimfire and buckshot.

Also the occasional live round. Put a HEAVY lid on your smelter.

Just another perspective.

Jerry

beagle
11-29-2005, 12:56 PM
I been saving scrap brass for a while. I'll pick it all up at the range and then sort at home. Berdan and the stuff that's not prime reloadable goes into the bucket.

I'd been getting skinned at a local place so decided to find a new place. Found one that paid $.59 a pound for my brass. Has a good setup and is a nice guy that will let me plunder though his stuff.

Netted $105 from 2 1/2 5 gallon buckets, Immediately turned it into primers and powder.

So, look around whan you're selling scrap off the bench./beagle

drinks
11-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Local recycling center sells soft lead for 10c lb, I doubt if they pay more than 2c lb.

pdgraham
11-30-2005, 01:45 AM
Range lead is going for $6.50 for 40 pounds on ebay.. plus $8 and some cents shipping..

Frank46
11-30-2005, 04:20 AM
Beagle,don't you just love scrounging through scrapyards?. Never know what you'll find. I took a bunch of junk to one such place got paid and almost gave all of it back.
One such find was about 800 once fired 375 H&H magnum cases. All federal and with the sealed fired primers in place. There were other finds but you get the idea. Frank