PDA

View Full Version : A real name and State ?

myg30
10-18-2017, 06:40 AM
Morning all. I've not made my coffee yet but here I go anyway.
Is it just me or are there others on here that get a little irritated because most on here choose not to use their real names at the end of a post ? I guess most time it's not nessary but there are some posts that I feel it's only proper to do so. Is this just me old school ? In a PM is a great ex., but no name ?
Another thing that's worse than that to me is the lack of showing what state you live in. Not even the city, just the state ? Now this is really bad when a seller has something and only want FTF, No shipping !, but you don't have a state listed in the ad or under your screen name and avatar. Or you ask a question of the members like what's a good lube to use for hot weather here ? But turns out you live way north and your reply comes from Death Valley or Ariz. where "Hot" has a different meaning. ( I use this as a bad ex. only thought in my mind at this hour)

Most on here knows almost all of the guys n gals but is it really a secret or am I missing something, unaware,lost in the New and Old ways ?

Just trying to understand, Thank you, Mike

Hickory
10-18-2017, 07:17 AM
Non compliance is rampant here.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
10-18-2017, 07:47 AM
Sorry,
I just assumed everyone knew where Camp Perry was located :drinks:

Jerry L.

Ohio the Buckeye State

GhostHawk
10-18-2017, 07:59 AM
Not everyone wants to be visited.

I've been around internet community's since 96. This is one of the best I have ever seen, or heard of.

As such it really does not need someone coming in telling us we are doing it wrong does it?

At least in my opinion we don't.

Anyone who has a good reason can ask for and get my real name and address.

Someone else's reason may not measure up to mine. So I will always be the final judge on who is given my particulars. You don't like it, tough.

But expecting people to give their name, address on a post just because someone else would like them to do that. That just does not cut the mustard with me. In fact it raises questions. Lots of questions.

dragon813gt
10-18-2017, 08:06 AM
This is an Internet forum, not a formal letter. There is no need to put your name at the end of every post. It's up to each individual to decide how much personal information they want to put in their profile. It's how Internet forums work. I will put my name at the bottom of a PM since it's a one on one interaction. Beyond that you won't find me posting any personal data.

Thundarstick
10-18-2017, 08:14 AM
Your answer, yes your missing something, and yes you are lost in the new world. [smilie=1:

pertnear
10-18-2017, 08:46 AM
This is an Internet forum, not a formal letter. There is no need to put your name at the end of every post. It's up to each individual to decide how much personal information they want to put in their profile. It's how Internet forums work. I will put my name at the bottom of a PM since it's a one on one interaction. Beyond that you won't find me posting any personal data.

++1 .....After all, this is is on the Internet.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-18-2017, 08:51 AM
Not everyone lives in, or even near a town or city. Sometimes a location like "western AZ" is about as close as one can get.

You can chose to reveal all or nothing on your profile.

There is a photo thread for those who want other members to see what they look like.

There is the PM feature for those with a reason wishing to contact a member for more information.

myg30
10-18-2017, 08:59 AM
I think you miss read my query. I don't want nor need nor expect your address, you have a location as ND, Fargo. Cool. I'm not wanting your full name and SSN either. I'm just interested and needed to be educated as to why most/ some don't post a state for location and use a name other than screen name.
If I didn't explain myself well enough or if you have lots of questions I'll be happy to go to a PM.
I know this is not a formal site, nor should it be, but as friends and I feel everyone on here is a friend or should be treated as such till otherwise noted.
Thunderstruck may have hit the nail but I'm still interested if there might be security reasons or something else.
My apologies for asking this early in the morning as some might need decaf.
A PM reply for my question is ok too so the rest won't get ridiculed.

Mike

OS OK
10-18-2017, 09:16 AM
I get your drift...understand too what your driving at.
I'm not so interested in personal names as I am interested in what state they live.
There is a lot of information to be had about their opinions on things such as lube and hot days or...problems with powder coating routines when you consider 'where' they live.
There is more to know when you read their opinions in the political arena...for instance the North Easterners and Florida seem to have unique opinions and are quick on the keyboard...it gives one some idea about the mindset of people in general in those geographical areas of the US.

Stick with the old school, it'll be popular again once all this 'new political correctness' burns down around their ears.

Dusty Bannister
10-18-2017, 09:18 AM
I have several screen names or first names in my address book that I have conversed with through various forums. Danged if I can remember who they are or which forum they are from because their screen name is different. Sometimes you just lose contact with folks because you remember them from their screen name, but not which forum and certainly not by their real name. The general location in a state would be nice, especially when responding about the availability of components, and the prices of scrap metals. But that is not for everyone. I understand that. I am also surprised that the comments seem a bit out of character from what I usually see on this forum.

The best answer is probably this one. " It's up to each individual to decide how much personal information they want to put in their profile."

Yes, I need more coffee too.

myg30
10-18-2017, 09:43 AM
Thank you dusty and OS. Another reason for a name or nick name is so you know if your dealing with a male or female. I still use Miss, Sir, Madom etc. Not terribly important just part of correctness I guess. I believe I didn't explain myself correctly. Not wanting "Personal" info.
At my age I guess I'm looking more for security issues maybe? not to post a state or-geological area?
Didn't think it would be any harm to ask but I guess asking a question these days can be offending to some sensitive "folks".
Second cup coming up ! Thank you

Mike

JBinMN
10-18-2017, 10:18 AM
< I think I have it the way ya want over there. Since that is what folks call me, & where I live.

When in a PM, I address with the name of the person if I know it & I "sign" with "JB" at the end. As was said, it is more personal ( "Personal /Private" Message).
IMO, Folks on forums choose a nickname, member name, or alias usually to identify them specifically based on what they are interested in, or identify with & to stand out from others so to be distinct & not be mis-IDed.
Another reason is to maintain some privacy for themselves in a place until they get to know the folks better.

In regard to the first reason I offered, imagine if there were 4 "Michael"s in the forum. If you were in a topic & were addressing a specific one, how would the others know that you were addressing that particular "Michael"? Well, you would have to distinguish between them to do it. Thus, you would maybe have to say, "Michael from Virginia" instead of "Michael" alone. "If" ya knew he was from VA., and none of the others were froom VA. too.
But, if "Michael from Va." had a membername of "MuddyBoots", and no one else had that same member name, then he would know who you were addressing & so would everyone else. Thus, no confusion between the "Michaels", or anyone else.

{This is why I am called, "JB" instead of my given name, since at one time long ago, in a schoolroom class, there were 4 of us with the same name & the teacher needed to be able to call on us singularly to answer questions & had to give us nicknames to keep us from not knowing who she was addressing.}

The second reason I offered is like you entering a bar, or a lunchroom,et. with mostly strangers in the room, then joining a conversation(existing topic), or starting one ( a new topic). You don't say, I am, "Mike" from Va." and my opinion on that subject is, ".....". You just join in.
If ya know the folks already by their nicknames, such as Bud, Scooter, and Lippy; does it really matter if ya know their real names & where they are from? Maybe later after ya get to know them, but at first if it is an informal conversation, there really is no need to know that info & where they are from. Let them decide if you &( and anyone else listening to the conversation/posting in a forum) has the "need to know" more personal info.
I don't see the need if it is a simple conversation between strangers. Same as on the internet, as it is not so personal & the courtesies are not usually necessary.

Kinda long winded, but I hope I helped ya understand better.
:)

Anyway... You can be bothered by folks not doing it if ya want, but I reckon you should just get used to it, as I don't see it changing now. You can sure try to change it if ya like, but I also reckon it won't work. LOL

myg30
10-18-2017, 10:39 AM
JB, not looking to change anything. I was searching for a possible security reason, opinions why/ why not etc. trying to change some with the times but not as far as to do something like Facebook.
And a few have pm'd with good examples.
Thank you for the reasons. Good ones.
Enjoy the day,
Mike

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-18-2017, 10:52 AM
I think you miss read my query. I don't want nor need nor expect your address, you have a location as ND, Fargo. Cool. I'm not wanting your full name and SSN either. I'm just interested and needed to be educated as to why most/ some don't post a state for location and use a name other than screen name.
If I didn't explain myself well enough or if you have lots of questions I'll be happy to go to a PM.
I know this is not a formal site, nor should it be, but as friends and I feel everyone on here is a friend or should be treated as such till otherwise noted.
Thunderstruck may have hit the nail but I'm still interested if there might be security reasons or something else.
My apologies for asking this early in the morning as some might need decaf.
A PM reply for my question is ok too so the rest won't get ridiculed.

Mike
I've always used my name or an abbreviated version of my name on the internet, as well as using my State and town and or an easy to decipher slogan for such. I've always been an "open book" type (Extrovert). I've known many people who are much more private (including my Mom, who is an Introvert), I'm sure they have there reasons? I guess security is as good as any reason. The world can be a big scary place, but it can also be a wonder place full of gracious people...it's all about how you want to travel through it.

country gent
10-18-2017, 11:01 AM
One reason for the vague or no location may be security were talking about discussing firearms sometimes high dollar firearms and leaving location out may be a security thing, as these are at time high theft items. Another reason may be in some locals firearms are not looked on favorably.

RogerDat
10-18-2017, 11:03 AM
The site has areas that are public. Sharing a name and location might allow someone to put that together and look up an address, that along with discussions of numerous owned firearms could encourage less honest folks to target the persons home for crime. Especially since some here will mention travel plans.

PM's are private between two members so they will often have real names used and if swapping or selling is the topic of PM then addresses are exchanged.

We started a thread to meet for lunch during a weekend gun show in the area so people could meet and greet, I know some of those folks see each other socially or for some shared range time now. Difference is the exchanges of real world information was not shared with the whole world on the internet.

I agree putting a state, major city or area of state in ones profile is very useful and not much if any security or privacy risk. Allows folks from same general area to meet up or know that a face to face swap is possible, or even offer suggestions based on knowledge of that location. I was given some PM tips on where I might get certain powders that were hard to find from others in Michigan who knew it wasn't too bad a drive from the Lansing area to Grand Rapids area. I mean SE Michigan or Lansing Area or West Michigan give context and allow members who are in the neighborhood to maybe meet up.

fatelk
10-18-2017, 11:09 AM
“Another reason for a name or nick name is so you know if your dealing with a male or female”

My pet peeve, though not terribly related to the discussion at hand, is when people assume your gender based on your name. My first name is one that apparently was as male as John or Fred in the region and time I was born, but is far more commonly female it seems otherwise. It irritates me to no end to get mail at work addressed to “Ms.” or emails from colleagues I’ve never met or talked to that make the same mistake. I would get work emails from one corporate guy who insisted on calling me “Miss” and seemed flirtatious. He got the point and changed tune quickly when my reply included my full name starting with “Mr”.

As to using my name and much personal information in general posts, this is a forum on the open internet, and the reality is that we are not all friends. I value a little privacy. My life is not an open book, if it was I’d have a Facebook account like my wife does. :)

runfiverun
10-18-2017, 01:00 PM
I know many of the members here by name.
[I could name half the guys above me]
I'm still hesitant to use it on the open forum, but if I drop a little note in a PM I will use my name to sign the end of it.
half the membership knows it anyway, but most just shorten the Avatar name to Run or Run5.

anyway for many of us a first name and a city would be enough to get you to our house.
if someone rolled up here and asked for my place using my name or one of the kids names there is a better than 50% chance someone would tell you exactly how to get here.

Artful
10-18-2017, 01:22 PM
Ah, small town america - but given internet info searches - I 'd guess a good detective could get you without leaving his computer.

OS OK
10-18-2017, 01:32 PM
I would imagine that the NSA along with a number of other 'Alphabet Agencies' already knows every one of us, bank account numbers, DOB's, job histories, arrest reports, traffic citations, court decisions, religious and or political affiliations, the number of marriages and our aliases here.

"What's the problem?" :bigsmyl2:

Col4570
10-18-2017, 01:43 PM
I have problems with the abbreviations for Your States,Cities and Towns.Living across the Big Pond it does not come easy to work out what and where are you discussing.This is not a criticism it is a plea from a confused Brit.Regards.

RogerDat
10-18-2017, 01:48 PM
I would imagine that the NSA along with a number of other 'Alphabet Agencies' already knows every one of us, bank account numbers, DOB's, job histories, arrest reports, traffic citations, court decisions, religious and or political affiliations, the number of marriages and our aliases here.

"What's the problem?" :bigsmyl2:

yeah but they probably lost or will lose the file and would have to look it up on Wiki Leaks a month after they gathered it. People say they want an efficient government but I'm not so sure efficiency is always desirable.

People get scammed because the internet makes it easier to gather enough information about your social connections to seem legit. It's not just that the email looks like it is from someone you know, it mentions mutual friend or recent activity too. Not only does putting too much out there make you a target, it allows more accurate targeting of people you know or are close to. Had a friend who's grandfather was ripped off because the scammers knew all about the grandson and his family. Able to convince the grandfather that the grandson in his x model car had been in an accident, and that the great grand kids billy and sally were fine but grandson needed cash transfer to pay for hospital treatment.

What we put out there lets others better insert themselves into the lives of our family and friends not always with good intentions.

OS OK
10-18-2017, 01:58 PM
yeah but they probably lost or will lose the file and would have to look it up on Wiki Leaks a month after they gathered it. People say they want an efficient government but I'm not so sure efficiency is always desirable.

People get scammed because the internet makes it easier to gather enough information about your social connections to seem legit. It's not just that the email looks like it is from someone you know, it mentions mutual friend or recent activity too. Not only does putting too much out there make you a target, it allows more accurate targeting of people you know or are close to. Had a friend who's grandfather was ripped off because the scammers knew all about the grandson and his family. Able to convince the grandfather that the grandson in his x model car had been in an accident, and that the great grand kids billy and sally were fine but grandson needed cash transfer to pay for hospital treatment.

What we put out there lets others better insert themselves into the lives of our family and friends not always with good intentions.

Well...I wouldn't know about all that as I'm quite sure your info is accurate. This forum and one other, The Art and Science of Casting' are the only social type media I am involved in. I guess I just don't trust too many anymore. When I get an E-Mail unsolicited, I delete it before even opening it, when I get a phone call from a computer voice...I hang up immediately. Not much more I can do besides throwing my computer and iPhone away.

In short..."It's a wee little bit too late to think about herding this bunch of cats!"

I stay involved with this forum because I love the informative posts...well, some of them...and the drama ain't that bad either!

dragon813gt
10-18-2017, 02:35 PM
I have problems with the abbreviations for Your States,Cities and Towns.Living across the Big Pond it does not come easy to work out what and where are you discussing.This is not a criticism it is a plea from a confused Brit.Regards.

The state abbreviations are postal codes. One fact, more of an observation, about them only seems to apply to residents of Pennsylvania. When asked what state you live in a lot of people will reply PA. We use the abbreviation. You don't find residents of South Carolina saying they live in SC. Haven't had people from other states ask what PA meant so I guess they know what state it is [emoji23]

City and town abbreviations are different. But that's what Google is for. Type Philly into it and Philadelphia comes up. I have to look up places where I'm being sent to work all the time so searching them out is second nature.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-18-2017, 03:35 PM
I know many of the members here by name.
[I could name half the guys above me]
I'm still hesitant to use it on the open forum, but if I drop a little note in a PM I will use my name to sign the end of it.
half the membership knows it anyway, but most just shorten the Avatar name to Run or Run5.

anyway for many of us a first name and a city would be enough to get you to our house.
if someone rolled up here and asked for my place using my name or one of the kids names there is a better than 50% chance someone would tell you exactly how to get here.

I get a phone call from a stranger.

he asks, "is this Jon?"

I say, "yes."

He says, "it was real difficult finding you, I lost the piece of paper you gave me with your contact info at the local gunshow."

I ask, "How did you get my ph number?"

He says, "I asked at the local gun shop, if they knew of a local guy that casts boolits...your name came right up"

I say, "that doesn't sound too difficult"

he had no response, just started asking about casting boolits.

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-18-2017, 03:41 PM

I am a member of a UK based internet forum about self-sufficient living. Very few members from the US, so I just chose to use "Minnesota" as a user nick-name...no one else there from Minnesota. Most everyone on that forum post in their profile, their location, problem is, my western Europe geography is weak, LOL. BUT...The biggest problem I have, is the slang words you Brits like to use.

DerekP Houston
10-18-2017, 03:49 PM
I gave up trying to think of interesting/exciting usernames a few years ago. Mine is pretty easy to decipher ;).

dragon813gt
10-18-2017, 04:21 PM
Mine is pretty easy to decipher ;).

First name is Bob, last name begins w/ a D, and you live in Austin. Am I close?

skeettx
10-18-2017, 04:24 PM
Yuk, Yuk, he he he
Mike

smokeywolf
10-18-2017, 04:24 PM
Any expectation of privacy or anonymity on the internet is ridiculous. However, there's no reason to make things easier for anyone and everyone to know more than they need to know about you or your family. Personal information should be metered out, not put on a billboard.

dragon813gt
10-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Any expectation of privacy or anonymity on the internet is ridiculous.
If you go into it from the beginning and don't post personal info it makes it very hard. Especially if you're using VPNs to mask your IP. But any measure you take to hide your identity is like steel thickness on a safe. It buys you time, but the contents will eventually be taken.

Artful
10-18-2017, 05:03 PM
If you go into it from the beginning and don't post personal info it makes it very hard. Especially if you're using VPNs to mask your IP. But any measure you take to hide your identity is like steel thickness on a safe. It buys you time, but the contents will eventually be taken.

OH, good analogy - and one of the things I tell people is don't put your safe in the living room by the picture window.

dragon813gt
10-18-2017, 05:05 PM
OH, good analogy - and one of the things I tell people is don't put your safe in the living room by the picture window.

Living room = Facebook/Instagram

lefty o
10-18-2017, 06:05 PM
if lack of a name being given irritates you, internet forums are not the place for you. chat rooms are a little more personal, usually.

too many things
10-18-2017, 06:32 PM
here is another thing couple years back there was post asking how many guns you have. well several posted pics.
ok later the guy wants to sell something . he dont take paypal so sends address. he just told some one where the guns are located.you dont know if the same guy sent the request. I have seen that some say they never got a payment.Ring a bell?
this is internet. same as face book, if you want your info world wide post on facebook

Col4570
10-18-2017, 07:19 PM
I am a member of a UK based internet forum about self-sufficient living. Very few members from the US, so I just chose to use "Minnesota" as a user nick-name...no one else there from Minnesota. Most everyone on that forum post in their profile, their location, problem is, my western Europe geography is weak, LOL. BUT...The biggest problem I have, is the slang words you Brits like to use.
Yes here is an example."I am just going to run the Pope of Rome through my Barnet Fair".To run a Comb through ones Hair.One from Derbyshire,"Hey Up Mi Duck",Hello Dear.Or "isitisn"is it his.
On my work travels I came across some areas that where hard to understand.Like folks in Copper Hill Tenesee or those in Baton Rouge.They are all part of the rich and interesting pattern that make up this planet.

xs11jack
10-18-2017, 08:12 PM
Dragon what is a VPN?
Ole Jack

dragon813gt
10-18-2017, 08:48 PM
Dragon what is a VPN?
Ole Jack

It's a "virtual private network". There are many reasons to use one. Most corporations have them so employees can access files remotely. People use them so services like Netflix think you're in another country giving you access to content that you can't get here. People in China use them to get past the government firewall. You typically have to pay to use one.

I'm assuming you were asking because I mentioned them in regards to hiding your IP. There are many free proxy servers that will allow you to do the same thing. You can actually set up chains so you're going through one proxy into the next. This makes the trail harder to follow but not impossible. Just takes longer to find you.

JBinMN
10-18-2017, 08:54 PM
http://www.publicproxyservers.com/proxy/list1.html
;)

JBinMN
10-18-2017, 08:56 PM
JB, not looking to change anything. I was searching for a possible security reason, opinions why/ why not etc. trying to change some with the times but not as far as to do something like Facebook.
And a few have pm'd with good examples.
Thank you for the reasons. Good ones.
Enjoy the day,
Mike

Sure Mike!

Just trying to help out.

Looks like you have had some pretty good answers today. Most all of them are pretty good, anyway.
Should have been helpful to ya!

G'Luck!
JB
;)

MaryB
10-18-2017, 10:30 PM
I use MaryB on all forums I am on.

As far as accents etc I live in MN and have a hard time understanding people from the far north part of the state LOL Where I am in the SW everyone has a drawl and rides horses, we have 2 rodeos a year... redneck city where I live!

LUBEDUDE
10-19-2017, 01:57 PM
I use MaryB on all forums I am on.

As far as accents etc I live in MN and have a hard time understanding people from the far north part of the state LOL Where I am in the SW everyone has a drawl and rides horses, we have 2 rodeos a year... redneck city where I live!

Thanks for the education. I reckon that I have not met anyone from your area before. All Minnesotans that I have met had that definite, unique accent.

lefty o
10-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the education. I reckon that I have not met anyone from your area before. All Minnesotans that I have met had that definite, unique accent.

i would estimate that about 70% or more of the state doesnt speak like that.

FISH4BUGS
10-19-2017, 03:23 PM
Morning all. I've not made my coffee yet but here I go anyway.
Is it just me or are there others on here that get a little irritated because most on here choose not to use their real names at the end of a post ? I guess most time it's not nessary but there are some posts that I feel it's only proper to do so. Is this just me old school ? In a PM is a great ex., but no name ?
Another thing that's worse than that to me is the lack of showing what state you live in. Not even the city, just the state ? Now this is really bad when a seller has something and only want FTF, No shipping !, but you don't have a state listed in the ad or under your screen name and avatar. Or you ask a question of the members like what's a good lube to use for hot weather here ? But turns out you live way north and your reply comes from Death Valley or Ariz. where "Hot" has a different meaning. ( I use this as a bad ex. only thought in my mind at this hour)

Most on here knows almost all of the guys n gals but is it really a secret or am I missing something, unaware,lost in the New and Old ways ?

Just trying to understand, Thank you, Mike

Mike:
When you own a lot of machine guns you kind of like to keep a low profile. There are those that would be happy to find you and steal what you own.
Giving your full name and where you live is not a good idea.

mcdaniel.mac
10-19-2017, 03:40 PM
Mike:
When you own a lot of machine guns you kind of like to keep a low profile. There are those that would be happy to find you and steal what you own.
Giving your full name and where you live is not a good idea.In the age of the internet I would keep a low profile even if I didn't own expensive toys. Too easy for someone to get their underoos in a knot and resort to anonymity to slander and harass.

myg30
10-19-2017, 05:19 PM
In the age of the internet I would keep a low profile even if I didn't own expensive toys. Too easy for someone to get their underoos in a knot and resort to anonymity to slander and harass.

He's ok Mac, he didnt mension owning any bump stocks, just selector switches.

Mike

historicfirearms
10-19-2017, 09:13 PM
I used to not list my state becii thought it would be harder for some tyrant in the government to come looking for me when they banned guns in the future. Remember these posts will be around forever. Now I know better, they are able to come find us whenever they please wether we list our name, state, city, or address. Maybe it might slow down a mental defective but probably not.

OS OK
10-19-2017, 09:17 PM
All they have to do is ping that phone in your pocket and they'll know exactly where you are.

facetious
10-20-2017, 03:07 AM
For some it may be some thing to do with their jobs. Alot of companys have people to search the web for any thing to do with their companys and try to scrub any thing thy do not like. If thy find stuff posted by employes that thy do not like it can come back on the employes. It has happened where I work, some one posted some thing about sensitivity training on FaceBook and got vist fome HR.