PDA

View Full Version : Truck gun

nagantguy
10-17-2017, 08:23 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this and as I suspect we all have an opinion on the matter mods please move to appropriate area if you feel this is in the wrong place.

What's your idea/ideal truck gun?
What's in your truck/car?
The perimeters are very loose ;guess what I'm asking is what do you keep going. The vehicle to deal with what ever you are likely to encounter? Be that injured livestock,shot opportunity on a game animal,pest/varmint removal, hordes of flesh eating clowns from mars.
What have you or the factory done to make it elements proof? How did you come to the choice you made?

labradigger1
10-17-2017, 08:25 PM
Rossi 92 carbine, 44 mag. Williams ghost ring receiver sight for quick target acquisition. Short, fast and powerful.

Blanket
10-17-2017, 08:28 PM
16 inch AR 15, a 1911 and a Ruger MK2 target, handles everything that I have ran into

Blanket
10-17-2017, 08:31 PM
Keep an AR on the tractor as well

wv109323
10-17-2017, 08:34 PM
I was thinking 1894 Marlin in 44 mag. Shot shells for reptiles. Marlin has a better scope mount system than Rossi.

DCP
10-17-2017, 08:42 PM
TAURUS 709 SLIM BLACK 9MM 3-INCH 7RD FIXED SIGHTS and a extra mag.

This gun was highly rated at gun test magazine and I have less than $200.00 in

Grab a gun has then for 185.00 shipped about $10.00 more than I paid

texassako
10-17-2017, 08:45 PM
People may laugh, but a mildly bubbaed Carcano M38 cavalry carbine in 7.35 and a pocketful of clips. It shoots a mystery 170 gr round nose jacketed bullet ridiculously good, and goes with me every time I go out to our property (wooded with short sight lines). Picked it because it was accurate, foolproof, disposable, lightweight, and handy.

GhostHawk
10-17-2017, 09:09 PM
For years it was either my Rem 870 Wingmaster 20 ga or my ruger 10/22 with a full sized Bushnell banner 3x9x40 scope. Deer rifle scope, no wimpy stuff. Knock 12 ga hulls at 75 yards every time, laying down flat not standing up.

Now, I have a Hipoint Carbine in both 9mm and .40sw either would do very well as a truck gun. Slap in a mag and walk.

I have a Yugo SKS that would also work in that role.

And I have a Win 94 AE in old reliable dirty thirty that would do very well.

I always preferred magazine fed for truck guns though. Was just simpler to load and unload.

Remiel
10-17-2017, 09:27 PM
T53 mosin nagant, non altered, still has the folding bayonet for the clowns

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rl69
10-17-2017, 09:30 PM
Ar 15,1911,

brass410
10-17-2017, 09:32 PM
pump 12 gauge winny, slug barrel, folder stock, buck shot and slugs, aim point, keeps me snug in the bush tent,and confident in the truck. And whenever I take it out sumthins gonna get a whuppin.

WebMonkey
10-17-2017, 09:35 PM
Just right carbine takedown.
Glock 26.
Both take same magazines.

ShooterAZ
10-17-2017, 09:37 PM
A 16" M94 AE 30-30 Saddle ring Carbine is my main truck gun. It wears a Williams peep rear sight and Firesight front. It's light and fast handling...powerful enough and well suited for my needs.

texasnative46
10-17-2017, 09:43 PM
Circa 1970 "Plain Jane" Remington Model 760 with iron sights in .30-06, for which I paid 100.oo. - It lives, in a "sleeve" on the seat-back, behind the seat on my PU.

yours, tex

Murphy
10-17-2017, 09:47 PM
With tongue in cheek...

It all depends on where I'm taking the truck that day.

Murphy

Rattlesnake Charlie
10-17-2017, 09:49 PM
Danged. My idea of a beat up old single barrel shotgun doesn't seem to be in favor here. But, it sure works on rattlesnakes and skunks. The other is a generic .22 LR rifle. Used to see this combo in the racks on pickups on main street all the time. Windows down too. Different time. But, there is a tool for every job.

texasnative46
10-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Rattlesnake Charlie,

Fwiw, I carry a box of 150 grain GCCB "deer loads" & a box of small-game PBCB loads for "the small stuff" in the truck's glove box, 24/365.
BOTH work fine out of my cheap/old pump-rifle.

yours, tex

wonderwolf
10-17-2017, 10:23 PM
Chopped down Savage axis 30/06 with a 2.5 power shotgun scope. Friend of mine's uncle who is a FFL got into a factory offering when the Axis I was being phased out in favor of the Axis II's. I think we paid $170 each after all was said and done but we had to take a dozen....and I regret only getting the one...wish I would have got 3 or 4...ah well.

brewer12345
10-17-2017, 10:24 PM
So nobody worries about the truck being broken into and the gun boosted?

jdfoxinc
10-17-2017, 10:27 PM
Stevens 301 and an 8 pak of conversion inserts.

quilbilly
10-17-2017, 10:30 PM
Depending on where I am driving and the time of year, it is usually either take my Mossberg 30/30 during bear season, my T/C carbine in either 22 Hornet or 9mm Luger if just coyotes are open, or my T/C Contender 45/410 if grouse is open. I will admit, after doing business and if the rivers are unfishable, I will take the scenic route home over logging roads.

bedbugbilly
10-17-2017, 10:42 PM
Other than my normal "carry" - if we're going to be out on back roads or lightly traveled roads out in the boonies here in AZ, a Winchester 30-30 Ranger Carbine slid into a case. Small, light but will pretty much handle whatever needs to be handled.

Bazoo
10-17-2017, 11:20 PM
I dont have a gun in my vehicle. If I was to keep one however, it'd probably be a beat up marlin 60 or the like.

David2011
10-17-2017, 11:41 PM
Depends on where I'm going. Traveling near Mexico which is always planned in advance I carry handguns and a lightweight utility AR-15 with iron sights only and many magazines in case of a breakdown on some lightly populated and traveled roads. In less remote areas I only carry handguns, one for each of us.

"Less remote" is a relative term when you're talking about West Texas and Southern New Mexico.

MaryB
10-17-2017, 11:51 PM
Chinese Type 53 in an archangel conversion stock with 10 round mags(3) in a hidden zippered gun case that is a part of a storage pocket system I designed to hold all the **** I haul around. Can't tell it is a gun case and the one time I was stopped last year I told the officer there was a gun behind the seats(legal in MN in a pickup). He looked, looked some more and finally asked where. I had to tell him where to open a seam on the storage to find the zipper. He laughed and said I should sell them because it is a great theft deterrent. Who is going to steal a bottle of oil, oil rags, bungee cords, some spare parts(it is a 16 year old truck), and my winter survival extras, 2 hats, 3 pairs of gloves and a pair of mittens, and the windshield scraper.

Cowboy_Dan
10-18-2017, 12:13 AM
I keep my Yugo M57 Tokarev clone between my seat and the center console. It has a magazjne of lead swc in it and a spare of Bulgarian surplus hardball nearby. The swc load cut a clean hole in a cheap cast iron skillet piece I found at the range.

texasnative46
10-18-2017, 01:04 AM
David2011,

Certainly IS, when one whole county has <500 residents..

yours, tex

texasnative46
10-18-2017, 01:08 AM
MaryB,

I once had a PU broken into for <3.oo worth of change & a used "gimme cap". = It cost over 500.oo to repair the damage to the truck.

yours, tex

runfiverun
10-18-2017, 01:57 AM
easier to leave the door unlocked than It is to replace the stuff and the window too.

what is in the truck varies throughout the year.
generally a model 92 in something that starts in 4 is under the back seat.
there is a shotgun [model 1300] out there right now.
last Tuesday through Sunday it was the 0-6.
in the spring and summer it's usually one of the AR's, the Arisaka in 257 Roberts, or the old mossburg 243.
sometimes it's one of the 300 BO's.

Shopdog
10-18-2017, 03:40 AM
I didn't realize until asking that "truck gun" meant semi beat up,don't give it too much thought....to,so many folks.

I thought it was more daily carry and right tool for the job.Which for me is a 7-08 stainless 700 loaded with tackdriving CB's.It's rare for it to be out of my sight.Whether I am in the truck,on a job,in the woods,at home,in bed....well,you get the idea.It's sporting a Leupold 1-4x20 and is slick as greased snot.

sledgehammer001
10-18-2017, 05:45 AM
Out of town, an old Marlin 30/30, and a Ruger BlackHawk in 41 mag. City/ town, 1911 in 45acp. Backwoods, my 30/06 or my 308.

Rick Hodges
10-18-2017, 07:10 AM
What I carry...everyday, a S&W Shield 40. Any long gun must be unloaded in a case with ammo stored separately to be legal in my state. So unless I am on the way to where I hunt the long guns stay home.

shdwlkr
10-18-2017, 11:26 AM
If it were easy to get and have a pair of Ma deuces in the truck bed with lots of cans. All remotely controlled from the cab, why you might ask, never found anyone who wanted to argue with Ma deuce more than once. Since they are not easy to get most of the time I travel without anything, why because I have nothing firearm related anymore, just memories of what once was

roysha
10-18-2017, 11:33 AM
S&W 66 6" barrel with 125gr. HPs in cylinder and 2 speed loaders filled with the same.

MUSTANG
10-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Scoped Savage Axis in .223 as beater rifle; and Springfield Armory 1911.

LazyTCross
10-18-2017, 11:45 AM
It would make the most sense to carry a 12 gauge with some buckshot and a good flat shooting rifle! AKA my poor old 870 and 220 swift........But i have never been one to follow my own advice! Missed a nice Coyote just yesterday with my Blackhawk 45lc! Ohhhhh but think how great it would have been had I hit Him!!!

Rattlesnake Charlie
10-18-2017, 11:58 AM
Definition of a Truck Gun
To me it is a gun you don't worry much about getting dusty, the finish worn, and just stays there without any thought until you need it. Kinda like the long handled shovel in the bed of the truck. Each basic tools for the task at hand. In my case, I've killed more rattlesnakes with the long handled shovel than the shotgun.

Other Guns in Truck
When I'm hunting there will be other guns along. The 12 ga Fox for pheasant. This year it will be the Shiloh Sharps .45-70 for deer.

EDC
I usually always have a concealed handgun on me too.

RPRNY
10-18-2017, 12:16 PM
A pistol caliber lever gun is a good call. A pump 12 GA with a mixed load of buck and slug is another good call.

All depends on where one is driving one's truck and what one might reasonably expect to use it for. In my case, I call it a trail gun and it's for use when traveling in the back country offroad. I see it as almost entirely a defensive firearm.

therealhitman
10-18-2017, 12:19 PM
Just right carbine takedown.
Glock 26.
Both take same magazines.

Seems only logical.

Sub 2000 and mags in a backpack with a space blanket, water bottle and beef jerky. G26 in a holster. Should get me back from town in most cases.

runfiverun
10-18-2017, 12:46 PM
the truck gun out here is something that can rattle around a bit without you really caring about the finish.

it's used to whack a yote or rock chuck when the opportunity arises.
the Arisaka and Mossburg I mention above wear scopes that would allow me to buy 3-4 of the rifles they are on.
both rifles have been drug [literally] over lava rock and basalt, it's hard to tell if they get a new scratch, but they'll shoot.

Artful
10-18-2017, 01:09 PM
I live in suburbia now so it's whatever my daily carry is
- When I lived in the country various guns had the honor
- mainly by being inexpensive and accurate enough.

Random listing of what lived in the scabbard in front of the seat cover.
Marlin 336 30-30, Remington 870 12 ga, Enfield #4 303, Savage 24 22LR/20ga

Marlin .30-30 has not much finish left
870 only during bird seasons
Enfield #4 rode the road the longest as it cost me $50
Savage 24 often just road in the scabbard until
we got up to where the small game/birds were.

Sort of miss that 'ol 72 Chevy long bed, - terrible gas mileage

dverna
10-18-2017, 01:42 PM
I have to agree with something that you do not care much about. It will get beaten up and it may get a bit dirty or rusty. I have a .30/30 that I was going to use...paid $135 for it. A bit of rust already on it. Older top eject so it will not wear a scope but maybe a peep sight. Never got around to it though. I have lost the urge to just kill critters for the "fun" of it. For protection, a truck gun is too slow to get into action. It must be cased and unloaded. So the Glock I carry is for two legged problems.

Rattlesnake Charlie
10-18-2017, 01:55 PM
Fortunately for most of the states west of the crick you can have any gun in your vehicle loaded. Obvious exceptions for the left coast crowd.

sqlbullet
10-18-2017, 02:55 PM
Utah doesn't allow a loaded long gun in a car. As a result my first choice for a truck gun is an AR pistol with a 10-12" barrel and a good arm brace.

Rattlesnake Charlie
10-18-2017, 02:58 PM
That surprises me. The no loaded long gun part. Your choice is logical.

garym1a2
10-18-2017, 03:02 PM
My car guns are a glock19, and a glock21SF in back.

My take down 10-22 is available if needed.

If trouble is expected than AR is avaliable.

bob208
10-18-2017, 04:03 PM
in pa. if you have a licenses to carry you can carry any hand gun you want loaded. I carry a browning n-p with me all the time. but the bunny cops case problems if you have a loaded long gun in the truck.

Blanket
10-18-2017, 07:28 PM
never had to worry about truck being broke into since it is never locked and keys in it. Have worn the bottom edge of the SP1 16" flash hider resting on the floor until it looks like an upside down AK muzzle brake. But then I live a lot further away from roads than most people. That and it would be bad meeting my dogs if you were up to no good at night

Blanket
10-18-2017, 07:43 PM
I have the AR with a 20 rd mag stuffed in the crack between the seats with an old towel laid over it to keep as much dust as possible out of it. Loaded with the horrible jacketed Noslers, Ruger in the glove box with Mini-mags or Super extra, 1911 with H&G 68, a bunch of Unique is laying on the seat under the AR stock. Has handled every coyote, animal to be put down, groundhog, social situation or other need for a lot of years

sparkyv
10-18-2017, 08:42 PM
CZ P07 9mm with extra mag within easy reach and SS 10/22 takedown in toolbox with 3 loaded mags stored in the butt stock.

Mal Paso
10-18-2017, 09:12 PM
The M134D with electric turret works well on an armored Suburban if your really serious.

I settle for whichever 44Mag I'm favoring at the time.

white eagle
10-18-2017, 10:35 PM
With tongue in cheek...

It all depends on where I'm taking the truck that day.

Murphy

copy that
ditto for me

jimlj
10-18-2017, 11:50 PM
It used to be an old Glenfield 25. I picked it up at a pawn shop 30 or so years ago for $10. It came with little stock finish, plenty of rust and no clip. It traveled hundreds of thousands of miles under the back seat of several trucks over the years. Last year I got bored and thought "I wonder if I can re-finish this? It now looks too nice to be a full time truck gun, so I'll have to find another old beater.

bstone5
10-19-2017, 12:43 AM
Old bolt action Sears 30-06 rifle. Rifle has traveled a lond distance behind the rear seat in the truck. Killed a few deer and wild hogs. Still shoots well but had to change the scope 5 years ago, the old Weaver scope fogged up on the inside. I am 72 and have had the gun since I was 18.

Lloyd Smale
10-19-2017, 08:28 AM
I just carry a handgun that small enough for consealed carry. My truck has a glock 29 in it and the jeep has a shield 40 in the glove box. there small enough that if I'm not carrying that day and go somewhere I feel I should I can just strap them on. Same with my wife. She has a ccw permit but normaly doesn't carry. If she gets in a situation that makes her nervous both fit just fine in her purse. As a civilian the chances of getting into a situation especially where I live that a guy would need a rifle or shotgun are rare. I can guarantee you one thing. If you do shoot someone 50 yards away youd best have a good lawyer. Id bet 99 percent of cases where civilians had to use a gun the range was measured in feet not yards. Only time theres a long gun in one of my vehicles is during hunting season in case I come across a bird, deer ect that I could legal harvest. Your not a swat operator.

wonderwolf
10-19-2017, 09:14 AM
So nobody worries about the truck being broken into and the gun boosted?

One good reason I stopped putting gun stickers on my truck. Simple cable lock and hide the bolt in the glove box or something would keep it from being a smash and grab.

Ground hogs and coyote are all I'm worried about, if I'm not doing anything thats going to put me near that kind of environment then I take it out and lock it up in the safe.

fjruple
10-19-2017, 11:11 AM
In my younger days when I lived in Texas, I kept a No.5 MKI .303 British Carbine with a bandoleer of ammunition in 5 round clips in the trunk of my car. I also had a bayonet affixed to the end of the muzzle. Just pulling that out with the bayonet affixed would solve any issues. Back then, gun, ammo and bayonet were cheap and an easy throw away.

MaryB
10-19-2017, 11:18 PM
My truck rifle gets used on car hit deer and the occasional coyote stupid enough to be in range of the road...

I just carry a handgun that small enough for consealed carry. My truck has a glock 29 in it and the jeep has a shield 40 in the glove box. there small enough that if I'm not carrying that day and go somewhere I feel I should I can just strap them on. Same with my wife. She has a ccw permit but normaly doesn't carry. If she gets in a situation that makes her nervous both fit just fine in her purse. As a civilian the chances of getting into a situation especially where I live that a guy would need a rifle or shotgun are rare. I can guarantee you one thing. If you do shoot someone 50 yards away youd best have a good lawyer. Id bet 99 percent of cases where civilians had to use a gun the range was measured in feet not yards. Only time theres a long gun in one of my vehicles is during hunting season in case I come across a bird, deer ect that I could legal harvest. Your not a swat operator.

Lloyd Smale
10-20-2017, 08:10 AM
Mary I once freaked out a liberal tourist up here (we have lots of them) We were heading to camp one fall day a few years back and got about 5 miles out of town and saw a range rover pulled over on the side of the road and a deer laying in the road. The older couple were going nuts. the deer was thrashing and trying to get up but when they hit it they broke its back and the back end was paralyzed. I got out of the truck and asked what happened and they told me they hit the deer and it needed a vet fast. I walked calmly back to the truck and grabbed my glock 23 walked up to the deer and put a bullet in its head. They were about going nuts. But what really set them off was I pulled out my knife and cut the two hind quarters off the deer (the rest was shot) I even asked if they wanted one. they must have thought they ran into a scene from deliverance. even my wife was shaking my head at me. She knew the deer needed to be put down but was kind of shocked that I cut the hind quarters off right on the side of the road with other vehicles driving by. She eats venison all the time but told me I had to give those hind quarters to my dad on the way to camp because she didn't think she could eat it. I shook my head and told her that that was insane. Whats worse being humane and putting down a deer that's in pain or shooting one in a field that's just out there eating!! Id bet even today that yuppy and his wife tell there yuppy friends about the red neck hillbilly that murdered that deer.
My truck rifle gets used on car hit deer and the occasional coyote stupid enough to be in range of the road...

rking22
10-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Ok, that story made my day ! I can see the look on their faces !!! No need to waste the meat....
Mine is presently a 7615, easy to load and unload, finish wear no issue and it serves to end coyote issues and any unplanned hunting opportunity. We live in the country, there's been a gun of some sort in my truck for over 40 years. No theft issues to date, but it stays out of sight.

458mag
10-20-2017, 08:31 AM

MaryB
10-20-2017, 09:06 PM
Laughing so hard my eyes are watering!

I can see the liberals having a total fit! Out here most people take the deer, call the sheriff for a permit.

Mary I once freaked out a liberal tourist up here (we have lots of them) We were heading to camp one fall day a few years back and got about 5 miles out of town and saw a range rover pulled over on the side of the road and a deer laying in the road. The older couple were going nuts. the deer was thrashing and trying to get up but when they hit it they broke its back and the back end was paralyzed. I got out of the truck and asked what happened and they told me they hit the deer and it needed a vet fast. I walked calmly back to the truck and grabbed my glock 23 walked up to the deer and put a bullet in its head. They were about going nuts. But what really set them off was I pulled out my knife and cut the two hind quarters off the deer (the rest was shot) I even asked if they wanted one. they must have thought they ran into a scene from deliverance. even my wife was shaking my head at me. She knew the deer needed to be put down but was kind of shocked that I cut the hind quarters off right on the side of the road with other vehicles driving by. She eats venison all the time but told me I had to give those hind quarters to my dad on the way to camp because she didn't think she could eat it. I shook my head and told her that that was insane. Whats worse being humane and putting down a deer that's in pain or shooting one in a field that's just out there eating!! Id bet even today that yuppy and his wife tell there yuppy friends about the red neck hillbilly that murdered that deer.

Blanket
10-20-2017, 09:53 PM
I have shot probably 5-8 coyotes a month during the winter and 3 or 4 groundhogs a month during the summer out of the truck for 40 years. Add to this a few road hit deer, wild dogs, crows, raccoons, a whole bunch of hedgeballs and ditch lions. Not a swat team member, only a person that lives in a rural area

Lloyd Smale
10-21-2017, 07:41 AM
were suppose to get a permit to take the meat too but they don't enforce it unless you are pinched for violating and try to claim it was road kill. Dnr would rather see the meat used and they and the local police would much rather I clean a deer of the road fresh then they having to do it after it starts to smell. I once hit a deer with my truck. I was on the side of the road starting to gut it and a state tropper pulled up to see what the problem was. He ended up helping me gut it and I even pealed out a back strap for him to take home for his dad.
Laughing so hard my eyes are watering!

I can see the liberals having a total fit! Out here most people take the deer, call the sheriff for a permit.

Mr_Sheesh
10-21-2017, 08:07 AM
Funny :) Some people don't get the concept of "wild animal"...

Truck Gun - Depends, in eastern WA I'd carry some sort of varmint rifle, otherwise the "usual" one's been the AR-7 (waterproof) and 1911 on me unless I'm feeling wheelgunnish then the SBH usually. Depends on what's around, if you see Coyotes you have to be able to handle 'em :)

Shopdog
10-21-2017, 08:46 AM
Deliverance?I always thought they a bit "uptown".....just sayin.Squeal like a pig round here and you're gonna get shot,haha.

scattershot
10-21-2017, 10:07 AM
Don't have too many opportunities for potshots here in Denver, but I have a S&W model 10 heavy barrel in the truck for two legged varmints. That revolver can stay loaded with all the springs at rest until the second coming, it won't hurt a thing.

Tyguy95
10-24-2017, 01:30 PM
I like to keep the ole m1 carbine or my dpms lr10

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

cjensen
10-24-2017, 02:21 PM
AR-15 pistol with sb-15 brace in 300 BO. since it is a handgun I can keep it uncased and loaded.

Blackwater
10-26-2017, 10:06 PM
For me, a "truck gun" is one I can access quickly and easily. That shouts "handgun" to me. The classic gun-in-the-glovebox is the easiest and in many ways best solutions, except for being more easily stolen. But that's what I do much of the time, despite the risk. For that, any 4" .357 or .45 or short .44 special is just dandy. A box or plastic bag of spare ammo is a good idea. You never know what you might encounter these days! Another good option for those who want a long gun is one of the 16 1/2" barreled .357 mag rifles. The mags hold a good number of rounds and the long rifle barrel really heats up the .357, to boot! Carried in a soft case in front of the seat (if not bucket seats), it conceals pretty well, and is handy if only you can open the door to get it out.

AR-15's can be used, too, but a 10 or 20 shot mag is much preferable to the 30's if you really want it concealed fairly well. Really, it kind'a like the Sgt. said in boot camp: "Smoke 'em if ya' got 'em." Knowing when to reach for them can be crucial in a real encounter, but that's something most folks give little thought to, really.

Minerat
11-03-2017, 11:36 PM
Mine is a Kimber ultra carry crimson trace, 45 acp in a Springfield holster in town and "baby" in the country. Baby is a 41 mag Henry Big boy steel.