PDA

View Full Version : Just wanted to thank you all.

marek313
10-16-2017, 05:03 PM
So I've been on this site for about a year now reading and learning everything that I can from everyone's posts so its only appropriate I finally thank you all for all this great info on this website.
I didnt own or even fire a gun until last year. After couple local break ins i decided to get familiar with weapons and pick up something for house defensive purposes just in case , you never know. Took my wife through the NRA safety class so she would feel more comfortable with a handgun. My first purchase was a spur of the moment buy Taurus PT111 9mm just because I wanted something in the house and it was inexpensive. Between shooting that and my friends guns I decided to get something a little better so my next purchase was a full size Sig p320 which i like very much to this point. At this point my wife really started enjoying shooting which worked out great for me. Since I'm over 40 now and i already sold my bike, kayaks and other toys this was a time to switch hobbies. It was all down hill from here. Next I purchased FNX45 and you apparently every guy should own a 357 magnum revolver so I had to get Ruger GP100 MC to add to the collection.
Next it was time to step it up so I ordered AR15 kit from PSA and I put that together with no issues following many tutorials available. By the way I'm a Sr. Network Engineer as a profession so building and tinkering with stuff is my thing. Yes I do take everything apart and have been since I was a kid just to find out how things work so thats the engineer in me screaming out. But besides messing with gun parts and upgrades there was more to tinker with right ?
Hey lets make some ammo too :)
So I ordered Lee classic turret with necessary dies, pots, molds, sizers (oh yes i was casting from a get go ) and everything else I needed.
I started casting 9mm out of Lee 356-125-2R using WW and powder coating those bullets. Imagine my surprise when both Sig and Taurus both shot those loads super clean without any leading at all. I know I got lucky here somewhere I guess because I know many people have problems with 9mm leading but not me. I had to work up my load to get better accuracy but no leading from the get go. Go figure.
Next was the 45ACP so again Lee 452-230-2R along with some PC and I had punds of lead going down range with acceptable accuracy. Still playing with it trying new powders but it works great and once again no leading at all.
Finally my Ruger GP100. I used my Lee 356-125-2R since powder coat made them just fat enough to shoot in .357 and last time I checked my load was more accurate then Remington factory 38S ammo. So next time I tried .357 magnum loads. I made that alloy closer to BHN16-18 loaded those up with Lyman 357446 162 gr again powder coated of course. I tried couple different loads and powders I ran it to roughly estimated 1200+ f/s again with very good accuracy and zero leading.
Because that wasnt enough i also picked up another AR upper this time in 300AAC just so i have something else to play with. Again I'm shooting Lee 312-155 powder coated with no leading at all. I love this upper and I shoot it way more then my 5.56 upper i originally picked up.

During this time my basement went through a quick remodel as i made space for my presses, powder measures, case prep stations, melting pots etc. I already own single stage, turret and a progressive presses from Lee and just a bunch of other stuff that we all need right. Then again we shoot now pretty much every weekend and every time I go i tell my wife "thats over $100 worth of ammo you just shot there, so I dont want to listen to **** when I order primers and powders" and thats how i get my supplies :)

For all you guys out there a big THANK YOU for saving me time and money as i went through this process. I sure as hell learned a whole lot from this place and all you guys.

here is couple pics of my work. Mind you none of the bullets are preselected for the pics so I'm sure there might be some rejects with voids still in the pictures.

woodbutcher
10-16-2017, 06:34 PM
:twisted: Uhhhh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.YOU done been bit by the bug.Welcome to the addiction.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

quilbilly
10-16-2017, 06:38 PM
Welcome to our group. Lots of fun ahead for you.

Grmps
10-16-2017, 06:42 PM
Welcome to CB. Your well on your way to saving money---- NOT. You'll just end up shooting more, then the addiction hits, you pick up some brass @ the range that you don't have a firearm for and that just isn't right so---------:bigsmyl2:

brass410
10-16-2017, 06:47 PM
warms my heart and makes me feel fuzzy all over..... NOT. now I have to get my act together and stop finagling the pooch and actually use some of the stuff I've been hoarding up you've stirred my conciencence maybe I can get my boolit mojo back!! By the way welcome to the addiction, hope to meet on a range some day.

Digital Dan
10-16-2017, 06:55 PM
Good for you!

Now when you gonna buy a Sharps .45-70? You ain't askeerd your wife will start calling you Roy are ya?

RED333
10-16-2017, 06:58 PM
marek313, you do not have to thank me, just send money!!!
Congrats and keep shooting.

Rcmaveric
10-16-2017, 07:22 PM
Welcome to the madness. Another secrete to more funds is to offer her pink and purple bullets. That's how I get extra funds.

jeepyj
10-16-2017, 07:48 PM
Welcome, If your anything like most of us you'll go broke saving money. With all those precious gems ready to load I'll bet it won't be long before a blue press arrives. Best of luck with your new hobby!

Pipefitter
10-16-2017, 07:52 PM
You are not truly addicted until you begin buying swaging dies.......

"Honey, why did you just buy 2,500 40S&W fired brass? you dont even own a 40?"
"Well Dear, they are cheaper than buying jackets for the 45."

CraigOK
10-16-2017, 07:52 PM
Good for you sir for using the knowledge you've gained here. Some of this seems/is intimidating and you dove right in and started swimming.

daloper
10-16-2017, 08:00 PM
And down the rabbit he falls.

Texas by God
10-16-2017, 08:05 PM
Hell, I've been reloading for 45 years and I ain't hooked......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OS OK
10-16-2017, 08:38 PM
I think you can sum it all up with one word...

S A T I S F A C T I O N

NOW...go make that girl of yours some pink boolits...and show us the pictures!

Welcome to the 'Nut House', the biggest bunch of 'Nutty Buddie Caster-Brassstuffers' ever in one forum...your a good fit!

*Add to your avatar your home state...you might be surprised how many CastBooliteers live near you...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?322575-Which-state-has-the-most-members-in-the-castboolits-forum
^...Which State has the most members in CastBoolits forum?

Bookworm
10-17-2017, 09:10 AM

I've been reloading for almost 30 years, and I can quit anytime I please..... [smilie=1:

jimb16
10-17-2017, 09:34 AM
There isn't any cure, just periodic treatment of the symptoms......

opos
10-17-2017, 10:18 AM
"I can quit any time I want"

EMC45
10-17-2017, 10:43 AM
"I'm only gonna load for revolvers"............

RGrosz
10-17-2017, 11:01 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

I've been reloading for almost 30 years, and I can quit anytime I please.....

I've just got to load a few more, then I'll be able to quit because I have enou....., waiot what's that I could really use that.
Any time
Rob

Alstep
10-17-2017, 12:10 PM
Now you've got to put those pistols & all that good ammo to good use and take in some action pistol matches. Great training and lots of fun, and a good bunch of people. Since you live in NJ, come over to the Matamoras Rod & Gun Club in PA, right over the state line. They've got a shoot this coming Sunday.
http://www.angelfire.com/matamorasrodandgunclub/IDPA/IDPAindex.html

JMax
10-17-2017, 02:27 PM
I started down the rabbit hole when I was a young lad learning from my grandfather more than 5 decades ago. Unfortunately I have only dug that hole deeper and deeper with no chance of ever escaping. Enjoy the trip:drinks: