PDA

View Full Version : .311 round ball shoot

Newtire
08-10-2008, 05:27 PM
I loaded up 16 of VillageIdjit's .311 round balls into 30-30 Ackley cases ala "Junior Style" and shot them off at 50 yds.

I seated them down just below flush with the M-Die & dobbed in LLA with a cotton swab. I centered the sprue facing forward. They were dry by morning. Loaded them with 5.7 grains RedDot (which is what the modified Lee Dipper I was using threw). I wish I had brought more of those things but intend to load up a bunch for next time.

I single loaded them and didn't even think to see if they would feed. I'll try that next. I used the Lee factory crimp die to hold them in place a bit. They were a tight fit in the neck of the case but went in without shaving any lead as I had used the M-die to open up the neck.

They all grouped inside of 2" @ 50yds. but shot about 8" lower than the full house loads. Still, was lots of fun & shot better than what I had expected.

Jack Stanley
08-10-2008, 10:23 PM
I haven't shot round ball in a long time but I do remember using a 788 chambered in .308 to blast little groups . Isn't it amazing how well they shoot ?

Jack

Newtire
08-10-2008, 11:35 PM
I guess as long as you don't try & shoot them too fast, they ought to shoot like a light loaded little .32 squirrel gun, without the patch & rifling 4X the twist rate. Yeah, it was kind of amazing. It would make a great little small game round.

I found some of the balls all smashed out flat in the hillside. I guess they were pure lead from the feel of them. Thank you VillageIdgit! That's alot of work goes into casting all those balls.