PDA

View Full Version : Henry Rifle With Loading Gate?

buckshotshoey
10-14-2017, 02:53 PM
I emailed Henry a while ago and casually mentioned how many here on our forum might consider a Henry if it had a loading gate. We've all read it many times. Some won't consider a Henry because it lacks the gate. I want to get the numbers. I know Henry listens to the customer.

I think it could be an option. And, there would be no need to dispose of the loading tube. You could load through the gate, and unload through the tube. That way the rifles will be standardized, with no need to have two different versions. Just cut in the gate and add the associated parts. And they could still produce the standard "gateless" version.

I will keep it simple but give everyone a say. Please comment even if you have a criticism. Like I said. They listen.

So here's the question...... If configured as stated above, would you consider a Henry if it had the option of a loading gate, and didn't add too much to the final cost?

ReloaderFred
10-14-2017, 03:06 PM
I shot a SASS match last weekend where one of the competitors was using a Henry. He also had a pair of pliers on his gunbelt, and I asked why the pliers? He said when he fully loaded the magazine, it was very hard to be able to turn the cap on the magazine tube to lock it in, so he resorted to the pliers.

I think a loading gate would be a welcome addition to the Henry. The magazine tube loading has been one of the reasons I've avoided them in the past, and if they added it, I very well might consider adding one to my collection of leverguns.

Hope this helps.

Fred

buckshotshoey
10-14-2017, 03:12 PM
I started off the poll by preferring the gateless version. It works well for my purpose. If I need more, I can drop them one at a time dirrectly into the chamber. I never had an issue with my loading tube. Do you know what caliber it was?

ReloaderFred
10-14-2017, 03:15 PM
He didn't have a problem with an empty magazine, only when it was fully loaded. He explained that the compressed magazine spring made it hard on his gun to turn the magazine cap to lock it in place.

Fred

buckshotshoey
10-14-2017, 03:19 PM
He didn't have a problem with an empty magazine, only when it was fully loaded. He explained that the compressed magazine spring made it hard on his gun to turn the magazine cap to lock it in place.

Fred

I was editing my post as you were responding. Never had a problem locking down a full tube with mine. Maybe the guy was trying to overload it by one?

If anyone else has had this problem, this is the place to chime in.

zymguy
10-14-2017, 03:44 PM
Long as it had the loading gate I don't care weather or not the tube is removable

buckshotshoey
10-14-2017, 05:07 PM
Keep em coming fellas. I fully intend to send this info to Henry at some point. Don't be shy. If you have criticisms, let em have it. All I ask is you do it constructively with detail.

Ramjet-SS
10-14-2017, 05:38 PM
Henry is selling allot of guns this loading gate thing is over rated. The tube is far safer to unload as you can rack the lever once and use the tube to unload th rest. If decreases the odds for an errant discharge from chambering and unchambering so many rounds. The tube is so easy to learn ad I just do get why some have such an issue. I will say it’s not that big of deal they can hardly keep up now with production to add a loading gate it would take an entire redesign.

MyFlatline
10-14-2017, 05:45 PM
I personally don't care on way or the other. Have way more Marlins and grew up with the loading gate but it has been a pleasure loading the Henry's thru the tube. No , I'm no shooting competition or laying down behind my dead horse battling indians. So I guess speed loading is not a concern to me. I miss the half cock the most.

hp246
10-14-2017, 06:13 PM
The few folks I know of shooting Henry's in CAS have a miserable time. Constant breakages. On top of that, I'm very disappointed in the non-delivery of the Henry single shots that were supposed to have been out last spring, and still haven't made it to the market place.

PerpetualStudent
10-14-2017, 06:25 PM
I'd like both. Get to top off easily but also the easy complete reload.

I'd add "and how about a 24" barrel variant?"

Mytmousemalibu
10-14-2017, 06:36 PM
I personally think Henry is losing a significant market share by not employing the illustrious Kings Patent loading gate. They make a fine gun and made right, in the United States! That loading gate is the final puzzle piece.

ARKLITE881South
10-14-2017, 06:53 PM
With in the past 2 wks a friend of mine sent 2 Henry 357/38 lever action rifles back to henry, then, requested a full refund. First rifle seemed to shoot fairly well at 50yds. But, when cleaning it he found the rifling at the muzzle not as it should be. He said it looked like some one had taken a dremel tool to it, and the riflings were not that good. He called henry, in all fairness, they sent a mailing form for shipping and he sent it back. About 2 wks later, he received a totally different rifle.

This time, there was a gouge on the barrel, on the outside. And, the rifling inside the muzzle were even worse than the previous rifle. He tried hard to accept this last rifle, he'd always wanted a henry like he bought. But, this last time, he just could not justify keeping this rifle. Supposedly his refund is on the way. I was going to buy a 44/40 iron side model , but, after his experience, i think i'll hold off for a while. I know this is kind of off topic, but, i'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the problems with the lack of or very little rifling at the muzzle.

MyFlatline
10-14-2017, 07:19 PM
I have two Henry's in BBS..My first, a 357, had an issue with ejecting, was promptly fixed. I was impressed..The second was a 45 colt, I have not had a hiccup . Have never really studied the riflings tho, never felt I needed to..

205847 Don't get much better than this...

I'm still messing with the 357, not as good as the 45 colt ....yet but less than 2 inches at one hundred with a 180 gr. cast.

Hick
10-14-2017, 08:17 PM
I had difficulty opening the tube on my Henry-- but I discovered it was not the spring-- it was the rubber O-ring where the end of the tube seats. I put in a thinner O-ring and that solved the problem. I have two loading gate rifles and the Henry. I think the Henry is easier to load. Also, based on looking at how the trigger internals and carrier work in a Henry, I think it would take a major redesign (maybe not for the better) to accommodate a loading gate. I'm happy with it as it is.

saleen322
10-14-2017, 08:19 PM
I have Marlins, a Winchester as well as one Henry. I think Henry has the superior system as it appears to be more flexible in handling a wide range of cartridge lengths as the system is simpler. Adding a gate is adding more parts that can fail as one of the big advantages of the tube system is that it is simple which makes it reliable. If Henry puts gates on their rifle it becomes a "me too" effort. Good system and I hope they continue to refine it.

buckshotshoey
10-14-2017, 08:21 PM
The few folks I know of shooting Henry's in CAS have a miserable time. Constant breakages. On top of that, I'm very disappointed in the non-delivery of the Henry single shots that were supposed to have been out last spring, and still haven't made it to the market place.

Can you be more specific? What breakages?
Feel free to criticize, but with details.

buckshotshoey
10-14-2017, 08:24 PM
With in the past 2 wks a friend of mine sent 2 Henry 357/38 lever action rifles back to henry, then, requested a full refund. First rifle seemed to shoot fairly well at 50yds. But, when cleaning it he found the rifling at the muzzle not as it should be. He said it looked like some one had taken a dremel tool to it, and the riflings were not that good. He called henry, in all fairness, they sent a mailing form for shipping and he sent it back. About 2 wks later, he received a totally different rifle.

This time, there was a gouge on the barrel, on the outside. And, the rifling inside the muzzle were even worse than the previous rifle. He tried hard to accept this last rifle, he'd always wanted a henry like he bought. But, this last time, he just could not justify keeping this rifle. Supposedly his refund is on the way. I was going to buy a 44/40 iron side model , but, after his experience, i think i'll hold off for a while. I know this is kind of off topic, but, i'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the problems with the lack of or very little rifling at the muzzle.

This is the first rifling problem I've heard of involving a Henry.

hp246
10-14-2017, 08:27 PM
Can you be more specific? What breakages?
Feel free to criticize, but with details. I've seen three of them on the CAS range. All three of them had problems with the carrier locking up the action. I wasn't there when they were sent back to Henry, but I know that one of them came back and exhibited the same problem when it returned. I don't know what the mechanical problem was specifically, but I've only seen three of them on the range and they did the same thing. In the one case, the ammunition was factory. I know I won't buy one based on what I've seen.

Mytmousemalibu
10-14-2017, 08:38 PM
I only have one Henry in my collection currently, the standard .22LR model that the current company started with ages ago. It has been faultless since day one. Great rifle in my experience.

runfiverun
10-14-2017, 09:33 PM
if they had a loading gate I would definitely buy one.
that is the only reason I don't have any.

I can look across the room at 15 lever guns and walk in the other room and look at another dozen.
they all have a loading gate except the model 95.

I use mine to hunt with and like the gate so I can quickly swap in another load for small game without a 5 minute routine and a tube to bend.

dragon813gt
10-14-2017, 09:50 PM
No gate = I won't buy. If they released a 327 w/ a gate I would buy immediately. I'm on the fence about buying the current version.

It would be nice if the rifles were lighter as well. I know the question wasn't about that. But I can wish [emoji23]

ARKLITE881South
10-15-2017, 12:49 AM

Its actually the 2nd, :) both rifles had the same problem. My friend was really let down, he really liked the henry, but, said he just couldn't take a chance the 3rd one would be the same.He also mentioned to the person he talked to about the quality control. Both rifles had this problem with the muzzle, and it was as if the second replacement rifle had not been looked at or they would not have missed the gouge on the outside of the barrel.

OlDeuce
10-15-2017, 01:18 AM
Are you talking Henry as in the 1860 .44 Henry???????? No loading gate for me on that Rifle !!!! That would not look right!!!!! Those other henrys
ya they can gates and things !!! LoL

Ol Deuce

buckshotshoey
10-15-2017, 04:52 AM
No. Not the 1860. May the nards be cut off the one who tries it!

CIC
10-15-2017, 06:20 AM
I recently bought a 44 and I went rossi based on the gate. It was a tough choice. Henry has a nicer looking gun and a reputation for great customer service. Another big deal is the ability to mount a normal scope configuration. In the end rossi won due simply to the loading gate.

kingstrider
10-15-2017, 07:56 AM
I would buy a Henry tomorrow if it came with a loading gate. I'm looking for another SBR host but the loading tube is an absolute PITA with a suppressor.

45workhorse
10-15-2017, 10:24 AM
Bought my Son a brass 22 cal. Henry, second hand. He shot quite a few rounds through it, then started having trouble with light primer (yes,I know it's a rimfire). Sent it back to Henry they fixed it, polished it, we had to look at the serial number to ensure it was the same rifle. Very nicely done, and it shoots fine little groups.
Would like to get .327.

bob208
10-15-2017, 06:58 PM
I already have a henry with a loading gate it is called a 66.

Ramjet-SS
10-15-2017, 08:00 PM
All my Henry rifles of modern mfg are fine shooting rifles. The 357 is a fantastic rifle that Ai can run it dry off hand at 75 yards as fast as I can cycle the lever put them all in the kill zone of deer target. off the bench at 100 2-3” groups of 20-30 rounds. Great rifles loading gate to me is a finger pinching device that the tube eliminates.

MyFlatline
10-15-2017, 08:26 PM
I would buy a Henry tomorrow if it came with a loading gate. I'm looking for another SBR host but the loading tube is an absolute PITA with a suppressor.

First viable reason against the loading tube. Everything else is preference.

As for a 5 minute ammo change, I'm willing to bet , I can unload 8 rounds and load 8 rounds with the tube faster than a loading gate, safer too. I have hunted both type guns for 40 years, it's all about preference.

Thundarstick
10-15-2017, 09:55 PM
I have a 327 steel carbine that is a great shooter! I must be the odd ball, but I have never been a fan of loading gates. I can see how gate loading would allow one to load on the fly while staying in a gun fight, but for hunting/plinking no advantage. That said, I sure wish Henry would have executed the latch better. Ever use a BL22? The best tube set up IMO, dump that cheesy O ring retention Henry! I'm trying to figure out how to remedy. The original Henry would work to!

Mm If the only reason you won't buy a Henry lever is no loading gate your missing out!

OverMax
10-15-2017, 11:35 PM
Have always had a tube fed 22 since I was 8 yrs old and still do 64 years later. I like the simplicity of a loading & unloading tube gate.
Never really wanted a Marlin or a Winchester lever rifle so preferred by others for there receiver lathed loading gate like Grand Daddy had.. I'll pass on those prior Grand Daddy either's and grab a 300 Savage Model 99 instead. ie the NO monkey business rifles of choice by those who know~~good shooting lever rifles. .

hanleyfan
10-16-2017, 04:34 PM
I am another one that won't buy a lever without a loading gate, I had a .22 with a tube loading and hated it, if they come out with a loading gate I definitely would buy one maybe two.

dragon813gt
10-16-2017, 04:49 PM
grab a 300 Savage Model 99 instead. ie the NO monkey business rifles of choice by those who know~~good shooting lever rifles. .

Completely different class of lever action rifle. It's like comparing a Cadillac to a Hyundai. Both will do the job but one is a lot nicer and higher quality.

Shawlerbrook
10-16-2017, 05:19 PM
They are with they are and that is a fairly well made gun backed by a great American company. I don’t mind the tube loading for rimfires, but prefer the loading gate for centerfire cartridges. That’s why I buy used Marlins or Winchesters. Too each his own.

sac
10-16-2017, 05:40 PM
wouldn't it be a Marlin then?

2ndAmendmentNut
10-16-2017, 09:06 PM
Henry makes a sold rifle, but like many I am not interested because of the lack of a loading gate. If Henry started making rifles with a loading gate I would be interested in one of their 45-70s, and 357s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2ndAmendmentNut
10-16-2017, 09:10 PM
wouldn't it be a Marlin then?

Better than a Marlin. Henrys do not have the dumb cross bolt safety. Besides the current junk cranked out by Remington is not a Marlin either.

sac
10-16-2017, 09:28 PM
Beside the safety, aren't they the same. Just picked up a Remlin in 45 colt and so far so good.

dragon813gt
10-16-2017, 09:38 PM
No, they are different actions. One only needs to look at the bolt to see the difference. Especially the Marlin square bolts.

After almost shooting my foot due to my fingers slipping in wet weather I like the Marlin safety. Makes it easy to drop the hammer safely. People don't like it because they forget to disengage it. For those that don't like it they're easy to remove.

sac
10-16-2017, 09:46 PM
All the Henry's I looked at the where very similar to a 336.

dragon813gt
10-16-2017, 09:51 PM
They make a bunch of different models. The big boys look similar.

Ardiemus
10-16-2017, 10:22 PM
I bought a used 1894 rattan than a Henry 357. My buddy just bought an all weather but had a terrible time finding one. I bought the Used Marlin over the Henry for the loading gate issue. I intend to suppress it.

buckshotshoey
10-17-2017, 07:04 AM
No, they are different actions. One only needs to look at the bolt to see the difference. Especially the Marlin square bolts.

After almost shooting my foot due to my fingers slipping in wet weather I like the Marlin safety. Makes it easy to drop the hammer safely. People don't like it because they forget to disengage it. For those that don't like it they're easy to remove.
Was it a Henry? I guess anything is possible, but the Henry does have a safety. I find that a little odd it went off by thumb slipping. The Henry has a transfer bar safety in the hammer. I won't contact the firing pin unless you are holding the trigger back. It works just like the transfer bar system of Ruger revolvers. Had your finger on the trigger, DIDN'T you?
Come on.... be honest.

dragon813gt
10-17-2017, 07:09 AM
Was it a Henry? Henry does have a safety. I find that a little odd it went off by thumb slipping. The Henry has a transfer bar safety in the hammer. I won't contact the firing pin unless you are holding the trigger back. It works just like the transfer bar system of Ruger revolvers. Had your finger on the trigger, DIDN'T you?
Come on.... be honest.

Your reading comprehension is lacking. I said almost, not did. I was talking about a Marlin. To drop the hammer your finger has to be pulling the trigger. My hand slipped causing the hammer to move forward under its own power. Somehow the round didn't fire but the primer had a large indent in it. I hunt in bad weather fairly often so the crossbolt safety is a welcome addition to the gun for me.

buckshotshoey
10-17-2017, 07:17 AM
I understand a trigger can slip before being locked fully back. Sorry....The way you wrote it.....
"After almost shooting my foot due to my fingers slipping in wet weather I like the Marlin safety. ".....
It definitely sounded like you were talking about a Henry. And with the transfer bar safety in the Henry, there would have been no dent in the primer. Again, that is assuming you don't have your trigger depressed.

I just want to clarify that. Sorry I misunderstood.

NoAngel
10-17-2017, 09:23 AM
There would be a significant price increase if they added a loading gate.
First, the design would have to be modified and that’s engineering time.
Second, tooling and fixtures would have to be made. Third, the extra op(s) is machine time added to making the receiver. Then there’s the gate and other needed small parts, all have to be machined, fit and finished.
Production delays because of added time.

I HIGHLY doubt most potential Henry customers would pay the understandable increase in price to get a side loading gate. They don’t seem to be struggling in sales right now.
If anything they MIGHT do a completely new model on a different production line IF they thought there was money to be made but IMHO that’s a pipe dream.

To many who’ve never worked in a machine shop, adding something like this doesn’t seem all that much. To a production facility where cycle times on machines are figured down to the minute, it would be a monumental undertaking

buckshotshoey
10-17-2017, 10:41 AM
I understand the problems. I think Henry could do it.... and do it efficiently. Look at the poll numbers thus far. There is a market to be exploited. Especially if Remington can't get their head out of their ***.

I dont believe for a minute the increase in price would be significant. Even if they have to develope a completely new design, it would be more then a pipe dream. Look at all the development Henry has done recently. Single shot shotguns, single shot rifles, lever action 4.10, levers designed for high power. And they are all reasonable $$$ for American made goods..... research and development included. No one can tell me they can't make a lever with a loading gate, and make it successful.

Yes.... they have some problems. But most of the problems are due to high demand. If I was a business, I would LOVE to have that problem. They will work it out. And add jobs in the process I'm sure.

hanleyfan
10-17-2017, 12:37 PM
If henry would bring out a new designed lever with a loading gate in their line of rifles I will bet they would outsell their tube loading levers.

Speedo66
10-17-2017, 03:00 PM
Regardless of the loading gate, I wouldn't buy a Henry. I find all their models to be a bit heavy.

Too many "what great customer service they have". To me that means too many non working guns. I would put up with that with a Rossi, although my Rossi was fine, but Henry's aren't inexpensive, they should work correctly right out of the box.

cattleskinner
10-17-2017, 04:47 PM
The loading gate is a non issue for me. The only gripe I have is the scope rail for the Big Boy rifles is too high. It would be nice if they were a bit thinner for a better cheek weld when using a scope.

starmac
10-18-2017, 05:00 AM
I did not vote in the poll, there was no who cares option.

I like levers, tube loading gate or rotary mag is all fine, as far as I am concerned.
Henry sells a lot of rifles, I highly doubt there could be enough lever people on this board to get them to redesign what has obviously been working in their favor so far.

buckshotshoey
10-18-2017, 09:22 AM
The point of a poll is to get a statistical sample of opinion. The percentage of the vote here should reflect the opinions of shooters everywhere, whether they get on this site or not....with a margin of error of course... usually +/- 5 percent.

I guess I could have added a "who cares" option, but usually someone that doesn't care wont respond.

8mm
10-18-2017, 11:22 AM
I do not own and haven't shot a Henry as of yet. As a loader of cast bullets I am some what concerned with loading gate damage to soft projectiles as being potentially detrimental to accuracy (perhaps a non-issue). For that reason I prefer the front tube loading Henry.

osteodoc08
10-18-2017, 11:32 AM
I prefer a loading gate but I still love my Henry. It's accurate, functions without issue and is very fun to shoot.

OverMax
10-18-2017, 01:56 PM
Given some thought there isn't all that much difference in function between the rifles. There are a few safety issues a Henry doesn't have that Winchester & Marlin do in there loading and un-loading. __ But staying on point.

Henry's tube loading gate won't scratch (sometimes deeply) its cartridge brass or shave the sides of either a cast lead or copper jacketed bullet which undoubtedly will affect accuracy. {Winchesters & Marlins have done just that since day one.} No one can convince me a smaller in stature individual won't have difficulty in pushing live rounds past either a Marlins or Winchesters loading gate.
Frankly: If I were considering to buy my Son_Daughter or Grandchild their first lever. It would be a Henry over all the others. It the Safer well made rifle. 2-Items: recently made Marlin levers & late built Winchesters levers can't match.

MyFlatline
10-18-2017, 04:08 PM
Given some thought there isn't all that much difference in function between the rifles. There are a few safety issues a Henry doesn't have that Winchester & Marlin do in there loading and un-loading. __ But staying on point.

Can you elaborate on the safety features you are referring to? I'm not quite sure what you are alluding to. I know nothing about Winchesters but have a fair knowledge of Marlins and Henry's.

Thanks.

Ickisrulz
10-18-2017, 05:03 PM
I did not vote in the poll, there was no who cares option.

I like levers, tube loading gate or rotary mag is all fine, as far as I am concerned.
Henry sells a lot of rifles, I highly doubt there could be enough lever people on this board to get them to redesign what has obviously been working in their favor so far.

I have the same opinion. I really like my Henry the way it is.

Ramjet-SS
10-18-2017, 05:53 PM
I will take stab at this. At the end of the day folks with loading gates have to cycle the rounds through the action to unload the gun. The potential for an unintended discharge is greater just because the rounds are being run through the chamber. Henry pull the tube empty the gun run the lever once to eject the one round that is chambered.

Valid concern? Maybe I have seen a 30-30 Winchester discharged while unloading fortunately it was pointed at the ground away from the group of hunters. While sound safe practices should be used when loading and unloading the potential is higher with the loading gate firearm.

saleen322
10-18-2017, 07:10 PM
I have the same opinion. I really like my Henry the way it is.

I am right there with you. Henry has a great product as is without the loading gate. If there was a poll option of "Don't change it" I think you would have very different poll results. YMMV

MyFlatline
10-18-2017, 07:14 PM
I will take stab at this. At the end of the day folks with loading gates have to cycle the rounds through the action to unload the gun. The potential for an unintended discharge is greater just because the rounds are being run through the chamber. Henry pull the tube empty the gun run the lever once to eject the one round that is chambered.

Valid concern? Maybe I have seen a 30-30 Winchester discharged while unloading fortunately it was pointed at the ground away from the group of hunters. While sound safe practices should be used when loading and unloading the potential is higher with the loading gate firearm.
That is my take but not what OverMax said..he said the Marlin , Winchesters were safer...

Ramjet-SS
10-18-2017, 07:29 PM
Gotcha Henry is safer only because of this reason but then the Henry's do NOT have the cross bolt safety either which brings joy to my heart. But ne could argue the hammer block safety addresses the unloading safety issue.....I like my Henry's the way they are.....:drinks:

starmac
10-18-2017, 10:10 PM
Henry needs to leave the loading tube as is, folks need an excuse to buy cheaper foreign made levers. lol

Just KIDDING.

buckshotshoey
10-19-2017, 04:51 AM
I am right there with you. Henry has a great product as is without the loading gate. If there was a poll option of "Don't change it" I think you would have very different poll results. YMMV

I think I did....option #3

DAVIDMAGNUM
10-19-2017, 06:20 AM

Well I wasn't going to bash Henry........but
I have two Henry rimfire rifles. Both of them had the barrels replaced.
The 22 magnum Golden Boy was key holing at 50 yards with at least four different types of ammunition. Yes I cleaned the bore before shooting it.
The 22 long rifle was shredding cleaning patches and felt like the bore was full of metal shavings. There was only a bore full of jagged rough rifling. Didn't fire it, just sent it back.
From my point of view Henry has a 100% failure rate on new in box firearms.

buckshotshoey
10-19-2017, 07:27 AM
Well I wasn't going to bash Henry........but
I have two Henry rimfire rifles. Both of them had the barrels replaced.
The 22 magnum Golden Boy was key holing at 50 yards with at least four different types of ammunition. Yes I cleaned the bore before shooting it.
The 22 long rifle was shredding cleaning patches and felt like the bore was full of metal shavings. There was only a bore full of jagged rough rifling. Didn't fire it, just sent it back.
From my point of view Henry has a 100% failure rate on new in box firearms.

This is the time and the place to do it. I intend to write Henry after this thread is about a week old.

Were they recent manufacture? As in last 5 years?

DAVIDMAGNUM
10-19-2017, 08:10 AM
Buckshot
Both rifles were purchased around eight or ten years ago. I would have to find my paperwork to be more precise. After being re-barreled they both function well and are accurate enough. My Winchester 9422 Legacy however is much more accurate.

buckshotshoey
10-19-2017, 04:30 PM
I think that was at or before Anthony Imperato took over as CEO. When did he assume command of Henry? Anyone know?

saleen322
10-19-2017, 07:20 PM
I think I did....option #3

That does not come through very clear. Here is what is written: If you prefer a lever gun with a loading gate, would you buy a Henry if it had one,?
(3) Yes. But prefer the standard "gateless" version. Since I like the system my answer is No, not yes?

Would it not be more accurate to offer the option to those who like the current model as: No, I prefer the current tube system.

OverMax
10-20-2017, 07:55 AM
Can you elaborate on the safety features you are referring to? Sure no problem. Ramjet-SS is spot on with his comment.
When considering the three most popular levers made. Pre- button Marlin Winchester and Savage too. When un-loading: They all chamber or cycle their rounds in and out of a live fire battery.
Given some thought Savage & Henry resolved their hunting lever rifles not so safe un-loadings. Models that use a clip.

MyFlatline
10-20-2017, 06:21 PM
Sure no problem. Ramjet-SS is spot on with his comment.
When considering the three most popular levers made. Pre- button Marlin Winchester and Savage too. When un-loading: They all chamber or cycle their rounds in and out of a live fire battery.
Given some thought Savage & Henry resolved their hunting lever rifles not so safe un-loadings. Models that use a clip.

I get that...no offence but that is not what your original post stated...that was what prompted my question.. We are all good. Not throwing stones. At least , that is how I took it..

ofreen
10-21-2017, 02:33 PM
Voted #1. We have a Rossi 92 .357 with both. Sure, I like being able to top the rifle off without messing around by the muzzle. My wife prefers loading via the tube as it easier on her fingers. We will only load via the tube on an empty rifle. It is definitely quicker to unload by removing the tube, but safety wise it isn't necessary to completely close the lever on a gate fed rifle to unload. I have a Henry BBS in .44 and like it fine, but having both options would incorporate the best of both worlds, and what is wrong with that?

Bazoo
10-22-2017, 11:00 PM
I personally prefer a loading gate without the removable tube. While I own 22 rifles with the inner magazine tube, i've found one problem with them. If you dont get the tube seated in the notch, they will shoot the tube out and spill ammo all over. I've had that happen with I wasnt paying attention to that critical detail when loading.

All of that said, when I looked at a henry 357 brass frame, it was quite heavy with a muzzle heavy balance compared to the Marlin 1894c. I prefer the marlin for that reason. I've never handled a winchester 92. I dont know how easy the henry is to disassemble, but if its not as easy as the marlin, that would be a deal killer for me if weight wasnt a consideration for me.

With all that said, I aint got either a marlin or a henry of any variety at present. My only center fire rifle is a winchester 94. Not easy to disassemble, but quick to handle and comfy to carry and hold while hunting.

~Bazoo

buckshotshoey
10-23-2017, 05:03 AM
I personally prefer a loading gate without the removable tube. While I own 22 rifles with the inner magazine tube, i've found one problem with them. If you dont get the tube seated in the notch, they will shoot the tube out and spill ammo all over. I've had that happen with I wasnt paying attention to that critical detail when loading.

All of that said, when I looked at a henry 357 brass frame, it was quite heavy with a muzzle heavy balance compared to the Marlin 1894c. I prefer the marlin for that reason. I've never handled a winchester 92. I dont know how easy the henry is to disassemble, but if its not as easy as the marlin, that would be a deal killer for me if weight wasnt a consideration for me.

With all that said, I aint got either a marlin or a henry of any variety at present. My only center fire rifle is a winchester 94. Not easy to disassemble, but quick to handle and comfy to carry and hold while hunting.

~Bazoo

Try picking up the steel frame Henry. It is noticeably lighter.

I had my 45- 70 apart the first day I got her home. Henry has video on disassembling their firearms. I watched the vids before I bought mine. Wanted to know what I was getting into. Watch the vid and compair for yourself.

inspector_17
10-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Beautiful gun but heavy and $$$$. Would like to have one but, not enough $$$$ and no loading gate. Levers to me, should have a loading gate. May be my love of westerns causing this choice! LOL

buckshotshoey
11-01-2017, 12:17 PM
I emailed Henry on Sat the 28th. Had a response by Mon 30th. I told them about this poll and got permission to post the reply...

"Thank you for your interest in Henry and for reaching out. This has definitely something we have been toying around with since the inception of the company. One major hurdle is to make a unique design that doesn’t look exactly like everyone else’s rifle. No solid plans or releases yet but keep an eye on us in the future!

You forgot one Poll option : My Henry is Perfect and Should Stay Exactly How it is (haha)"

The representative asked to not use his/her name on the forum, and I will respect that.

dannyd
11-10-2017, 07:44 PM
I've seen three of them on the CAS range. All three of them had problems with the carrier locking up the action. I wasn't there when they were sent back to Henry, but I know that one of them came back and exhibited the same problem when it returned. I don't know what the mechanical problem was specifically, but I've only seen three of them on the range and they did the same thing. In the one case, the ammunition was factory. I know I won't buy one based on what I've seen.

Shot about 20 sass matches with mind and no problems. Depends on the shooter and I shot over Ten clean. It’s a very good gun, but it does not run like a tricked out 73. Had one of those too cost three times what my Henry cost. Don’t shoot sass anymore sold the 73 but kept the Henry.

dverna
11-10-2017, 08:03 PM
Like many, I will not buy a CF that loads like a .22. I only have 5 lever action CF's and will not even look at the Henry.

John Boy
11-10-2017, 08:54 PM
Putting a loading gate on the Henry's would require a complete re-figuration of the carrier assembly which now is fixed in place. A total different design for chamber feeding from the magazine.

32magfan
11-13-2017, 03:01 PM
I took my new Henry .327 out to shoot a couple of weeks ago. It shot well. I also took my Model 94 .30-30. After loading the Henry, the loading gate on the Model 94 was difficult to work with because the magazine spring would push the rounds back out of the rifle if I did not insert them completely, so I had to hold my finger in the way as if I was playing a guitar. If I did insert them completely, well, anyone who has loaded a side-gate rifle knows how it can chew up the thumb. Admittedly, my .44 magnum levers by Winchester and Marlin work well enough by leaving the back of the round outside the receiver to hold the loading gate open, but there is still the unloading issue.

dannyd
11-13-2017, 03:55 PM
My Henry is way easier to load than my 94. Henry’s are great for the range and hunting.

RoosterRon
11-13-2017, 08:16 PM
I have many Rifles with loading gates .
I like the Henry just the way it is .

There are many Henry's .
But this one is mine .
Rooster

buckshotshoey
11-15-2017, 05:59 AM
Putting a loading gate on the Henry's would require a complete re-figuration of the carrier assembly which now is fixed in place. A total different design for chamber feeding from the magazine.
Maybe so. BUT...thinking outside the box, why not put the loading gate in the bottom of the receiver and load it like a pump or semi auto shotgun? With the carrier in the up position, with at least some calibers, I think it would work!

And I would fit Henry's definition of being unique.

John Boy
11-15-2017, 12:57 PM
buckshot - Say I own Henry Rifles ... why reinvent the wheel with a product that the complete line is designed around because a few posters on Cast Boolits would like a loading gate design.
If you believe it can be done and are fervent that a loading gate design would be better ... design a prototype and cost projection to convert "my" whole line of production and send to Mr Imperato. :Bright idea::awesome: Thanks but no Thanks [smilie=s:

starmac
11-15-2017, 01:11 PM
Maybe so. BUT...thinking outside the box, why not put the loading gate in the bottom of the receiver and load it like a pump or semi auto shotgun? With the carrier in the up position, with at least some calibers, I think it would work!

And I would fit Henry's definition of being unique.

Man, that would just be too cool, then we could have a whole new poll. lol

BigAl52
11-15-2017, 11:43 PM
buckshot - Say I own Henry Rifles ... why reinvent the wheel with a product that the complete line is designed around because a few posters on Cast Boolits would like a loading gate design.
If you believe it can be done and are fervent that a loading gate design would be better ... design a prototype and cost projection to convert "my" whole line of production and send to Mr Imperato. :Bright idea::awesome: Thanks but no Thanks [smilie=s:

Couldnt agree more and this poll is ridiculous. I dont see Henry suffering from lack of sales due to the fact they dont have a loading gate. Al

John Boy
11-16-2017, 01:08 AM
Here are some dot points about Henry Firearms:
* All made in the US, Bayonne, NJ
* Started with the Henry Golden Boy 22LR - now chambered for 22 Short, 22 Long and 22LR. It is my understanding talking with Nick Echart, owner of Charter Arms that it was he who came up with the fixed carrier feeding a magazine tube fed round to the carrier and using a lifter arm to position the round on the carrier and the bolt to chamber the round
* Henry has been profitable with the design of their rifles - now manufacturing dozens of different designs of rifles and shotguns - here, you count them ... https://www.henryusa.com/henry-rifles-and-shotguns/
* Henry has a guarantee that others can't even come close to ... https://www.henryusa.com/the-henry-guarantee/
And IMO, the best service that can't be beat which I recently experienced ...

Called Henry requesting repairs and modifications to my early model Henry 22LR Golden Boy. Received a prepaid UPS mailer by email within 2 hours of my telephone call.

* Boxed the rifle up and took it to the UPS store on Nov 4th

* Tonight, Nov 9th, the Brown Truck arrived at the house and Jimmy, the driver said, " Another toy John?"

In deed it was - a brand new 22 S/L/LR Golden Boy in 6 days including 2 days in the truck for delivery and return
I have never received this type of service from any firearms vendor

Background:

* I sent the rifle back related to the outer magazine tube not staying affixed to the action - modification to the bottom of the barrel in the action - new carrier and new lifter. Why?

* I could not magazine feed my black powder reloads: original UMC Match - Lyman 225453 and Old West mold bullets. Now I can primarily because Henry has modified the carrier with a tapered cut to the barrel at the chamber on the newer rifles. Presume it was done to enable magazine chambering of 22 Shorts and Longs and now known to Henry ... will magazine chamber Black Powder reloads from several bullet designs - that I make and shoot in addition to smokeless!

* In addition, the new Henry Golden Boys are tapped to mount their Cantilever Scope Mount which now has a 3-9X power mounted for my 22 caliber target lever action and 22 silhouette matches

Bazoo
11-16-2017, 02:29 AM
I would like to see henry make a copy of the 1866 the way they do the 1860. Except of course not with a 2k dollar price tag. I'd like it in all the various pistol calibers they can make work in it.

buckshotshoey
11-16-2017, 06:20 AM

And why not? They just did it with the Long ranger series. They designed and developed the single shot line. They developed the 4.10 lever shotgun. And all within a decade. Don't tell me It can't be done.

If you read the entire thread, you would see I like my Henry 45- 70 just the way it is. I just got tired of hearing so many people say they wouldn't buy a Henry because it didn't have a gate. And not just on Cast Boolits! I believe a Henry with a loading gate would pay off in the end. And you dont have to preach about development costs. I'm not a complete moron. But as I see it, the R and D put into it, would sell more rifles then the Long Ranger series. And far more then the 4.10 EVER will.

And Big Al..... you are being short sighted. I'm not even remotely saying that Henry's sales are lack luster. I'm talking about increasing market share and growing the business even further. I want to see Henry grow and continue to be the standard by which all others are judged. THAT'S why I started this poll. If you still think it his poll is ridiculous, then so be it. You seem to be in the minority.

And the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of feeding the mag tube like a pump shotgun. And the removable tube can retained in the design. Gives a quick way to unload.

Ramjet-SS
11-16-2017, 03:30 PM
I think this poll is fine how the heck would you know unless you ask?

I think this poll is pretty darn solid it does show to some extent that people gravitate towards familiarity and many grew up on the loading gate and they like what "they know".

dragon813gt
11-16-2017, 04:51 PM
Or it could be that some of us have tried tube fed levers and don't like them.

BigAl52
11-17-2017, 10:15 PM
Ok Im short sided. I have 8 Henrys but I also own side gate guns. There are gun manufacturers that make side gate loading guns buy theres. The Long Ranger is magazine fed and the shotgun is tube fed. The singleshot is human fed when the action is broke open. Guess I dont see the huge change to develop those models. Maybe Im the only person that wanted to post the fact that the pole was ridiculous. Never said you mentioned that sales were lacking. Just my take from the idea. The idea has run 5 pages with 92 posts. Im not sure even if all 92 posts favored the idea that it would be worth the change for Henry. JMHO your mileage may vary. Al

starnbar
11-24-2017, 09:02 AM
I shoot both and gates or tubes don't bother me at all for some situations a gate is the way to go like if you are on horseback. Tubes have a place too and are easier to unload especially around youngsters who are learning the right way.

croyleje
12-03-2017, 12:28 PM
I would certainly buy a Henry if it had a loading gate I actually just posted a question about the tube feed system I am looking at a new 30-30 and the Henry is very atractive and the price is great if it had a loading gate I would have ordered it already but I keep looking at the 1894 and the only thing it has that makes me like it more is the gate.

MyFlatline
12-03-2017, 12:52 PM
Cept they don't make a 30-30 in 1894 only in 336 now.. The Marlin 1894 is for pistol rounds.

The more I shoot my Henry's the less I miss the loading gate

tarbe
12-03-2017, 09:19 PM
Regardless of the loading gate, I wouldn't buy a Henry. I find all their models to be a bit heavy.

I don't think I would want my H010 45-70 to weigh any less than the 7 lbs it is.

tarbe
12-03-2017, 09:25 PM
That does not come through very clear. Here is what is written: If you prefer a lever gun with a loading gate, would you buy a Henry if it had one,?
(3) Yes. But prefer the standard "gateless" version. Since I like the system my answer is No, not yes?

Would it not be more accurate to offer the option to those who like the current model as: No, I prefer the current tube system.

This is exactly why I could not answer the poll...using answer 3 is to contradict one's self. By answering the poll, you are stating you prefer a loading gate!

megasupermagnum
12-18-2017, 08:45 PM
I had the same thoughts. I do NOT like a loading gate. For competition, I'd guess a loading gate is faster, but for range or hunting, the Henry tube is so nice. Maybe if one had smaller fingers, but even my pinky barely fits in the loading gate of a model 94 .30-30. I couldn't even imagine trying to gate feed a .357.

hanleyfan
12-26-2017, 02:41 PM
I guess if I am going to pay the prices they want for a gun now days I going to get what I want and not just settle for something I really don't like.

RedlegEd
01-02-2018, 11:24 PM
This is exactly why I could not answer the poll...using answer 3 is to contradict one's self. By answering the poll, you are stating you prefer a loading gate!

+1 ^^^ this. I really wish there was another poll option... "No. I like Henry's just the way they are." I saved and finally bought & own that "d@mn Yankee Rifle," the original Henry in .45 Colt. Although newly manufactured (in the USA,) that rifle has the historical significance of a Trapdoor Springfield and M1 Garand, plus it is just down-right beautiful. It is also pure joy to shoot. Ed

buckshotshoey
01-06-2018, 08:33 AM
Ok, I should have worded the question differentially. But it's too late. With option 3 I meant it as YES, I WOULD BUY A HENRY, BUT PREFER THE STANDARD GATELESS VERSION. I'll take a D- for my grammar.

Walks
08-13-2018, 01:40 AM
Overmax,
My 8yr old Daughter & 7yr old Son never had a problem shoving 10rds of .38SPL into the mag tube of a MARLIN 1894C. I got a extra stock and cut it down to fit them. I added spacers as they grew bigger.
I've been shooting WINCHESTER/MARLIN LEVER Guns for almost 60yrs. I started with a single shot SAVAGE. It was actually a dropping block action, like a "Farquharson ??" I think. Went on to tube feed .22's ; REMINGTON & WINCHESTER pumps.
Bought a MARLIN 39D in High School, still have it.
I'll never buy a henry, seen too many at COWBOY ACTION SHOOTING Matches go belly up.

I believe REMINGTON will get MARLIN squared away. It was a BIG MOVE. Takes time to adjust and train new folks.

flint45
08-23-2018, 07:34 PM
I am waiting for the gate if it happens I will buy one, want a .357.

LIMPINGJ
08-27-2018, 04:32 PM
Waiting for the Improved Henry.

odette
08-31-2018, 08:08 PM
just want a loading gate, whether it can empty through the tube or not, just want a .41 mag with a loading gate

maglvr
08-31-2018, 11:17 PM
No gate... ZERO interest!

Dusty Ed
09-03-2018, 07:22 PM
WELL Buckshot
Winchester released a few in 1865 or early 66 an then they released the 1866 Winchester
WHen Winchester bought the VOLCANIC He ask Henry to see if could make a Cartridge firing rifle out of the Volcanic an he did a 44 rim fire ,they started to manufacture it but Winchester didn't want his name on a failure , it sold like hot cakes ,The 1866 was the first Winchester an had the Kings Improvement .

Fishman
09-03-2018, 11:37 PM
I understand preferences but don’t understand all of the “heck no, never” answers over such a small thing. It’s kinda like blonde, brunette, redhead, black hair, dishwater blonde, blue, purple, pink. It all depends on the overall package and if one thing disqualifies them you are probably too picky. But that’s just my opinion.

hanleyfan
09-04-2018, 04:05 PM
When I spend that kind of money I am going to buy something I want, no loading gate is no small thing!

Ickisrulz
09-05-2018, 05:10 PM
I understand preferences but don’t understand all of the “heck no, never” answers over such a small thing. It’s kinda like blonde, brunette, redhead, black hair, dishwater blonde, blue, purple, pink. It all depends on the overall package and if one thing disqualifies them you are probably too picky. But that’s just my opinion.

I am not interested in buying a S&W with the lock. I makes a classic gun look funky.

A Henry is not a classic Winchester or Marlin. Therefore, I accept the loading tube as something unique to the Henry product.

Mgderf
09-09-2018, 10:01 PM
I own 5 Henry's, 2 Marlins, a Winchester, and a Mossberg lever gun.
The loading gate issue is a quandary to understand.

I've never had a problem with either platform.

Traffer
09-09-2018, 10:52 PM
I'd like both. Get to top off easily but also the easy complete reload.

I'd add "and how about a 24" barrel variant?"

I asked them to make a replacement for the H&R Buffalo classic ...break open, with 28" barrel. They emailed me back and said they have no plans to make longer barrels. I think it is a poor decision. Of the people who buy single shot 45/70s I bet most would like the longer barrels.

dlbarr
09-09-2018, 11:07 PM
My preference is pretty much Marlin all the way.

rbertalotto
09-10-2018, 06:24 AM
Actually, the problem isn't the loading gate or lack of one. The real issue is the centerfire Henry rifles are simply terrible! Very clunky in the hand. Fail to run even close to fast. Jam up regularly when used in a competitive setting and darn plain ugly!!!

And all of this from the same company that makes the fantastic, smooth, good looking, nice in the hand rimfire rifles and the beautiful 1860! So it is clear they know how to do it right.

The USA would beat a path to the door of a USA made 1866/1873/1892......Most would rather not purchase a Japan or Italy version of these firearms.

Walks
09-13-2018, 03:32 AM
I just read this entire post again.
If you don't know how to use/work a firearm properly and are not willing to learn safely then you shouldn't have it.
I learned not to point a gun at anything I was not willing to destroy or kill by the time I was 5yrs old.
Including my own feet. And other peoples.

WINCHESTER & MARLIN Lever Guns of any Vintage are easy to load/unload safely. And that goes for the SAVAGE 99's too.

If your gun doesn't give you what you want, then get one that does and dump the one you don't like.

barnetmill
09-18-2018, 02:10 PM
If i am buying a henry reproduction it is for the historical feel and that means no loading gate. If I want a gate I will get a model 73 or 66.

Heck just why not get a model 92 or 94 and even better yet an AR.

scattershot
09-18-2018, 02:54 PM
Just saw an ad in the Rifleman for a Henry 45/70 with a loading gate and a color case hardened frame. Nice!

EDIT: My mistake, sorry. No loading gate. Must be wishful thinking on my part. Nice looking rifle, though

Thundarstick
09-19-2018, 08:29 AM
I saw the ad, didn't see a loading gate?

hanleyfan
09-19-2018, 12:52 PM
I got excited and just checked the case hardened rifle henry just advertise and there is no loading gate! big let down.

scattershot
09-30-2018, 10:33 PM
Yeah, my mistake. Musta been wishful thinking on my part.

T.R.
11-04-2018, 10:07 AM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/DSC01175.jpg (http://s26.photobucket.com/user/rushmoreman/media/DSC01175.jpg.html)

I rushed to buy this Henry 30-30 when they first came out by ordering it through my local shop. Right away I knew that I'd screwed up because of the heavy weight and awkward loading and unloading method. But it shot accurately and functioned okay. Shortly after this hunt, it was sold to a friend who actually liked these features.

Owning another Henry is not for me.

TR

Foggy1111
11-14-2018, 10:36 PM
As far as lever guns go.......I own 7 Marlins in 22 cal, 357 caliber, and 44 magnum, a Savage 99 in 308, Rossi lever in 357, Winchester 94 in 30-30, and have three Marlins. They all have pluses and minuses......but all are terrific to own. If they were all the same.....what fun would that be? Load on Sunday.....shoot all week. ;).

Potsy
11-26-2018, 01:02 PM
I guess another question might be, as ridiculously expensive as Winchester and Marlins have become, why do they not include the tube option in addition to the loading gate?

It's bound to be cheaper to include in the design than incorporating a gate on the Henry. I was never a huge fan of a loading gate for loading or having to cycle my way through a magazine full for unloading. The tube option is unobtrusive, and you wouldn't have to use it if you didn't want to. On the other hand, the gate would be there if you were pinned down behind your dead horse shooting Commanches and the tube load was slowing you down enough to endanger your scalp.

Come on Remlin and Winku, you can do it!!! Give us a tube load/unload option!!!!

Bilbobaker
12-01-2018, 11:08 PM
Has anyone modified a Henry .22 rifle by adding a side load gate?

O kid
12-17-2018, 05:34 PM
A few years ago I purchased a Henry rifle from Taylors Co. It had the normal open bottom mag tube with the external follower. It also had a loading gate on the right side, a folding over type, NOT the King type. It could be loaded like a normal Henry, or loaded from the loading gate. It was what they called an "Improved Henry". The New Haven Arms Co made ALL the Henry rifles, they also made a few hundred with the folding over loading gate. Henry left and sued "New Haven Arms", but Winchester got to keep the Henry patents. After Tyler Henry left, he was replaced with Nelson King under the NEW "Winchester Arms Co." title about 1866. King designed "the 1866 Winchester" and it was available commercially a couple years later, dubbed the "Yellow Boy". It had the closed mag tube and the better king loading gate with bronze frame. Mine shoots and looks great!

MyFlatline
12-17-2018, 08:12 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/rushmoreman/DSC01175.jpg (http://s26.photobucket.com/user/rushmoreman/media/DSC01175.jpg.html)

I rushed to buy this Henry 30-30 when they first came out by ordering it through my local shop. Right away I knew that I'd screwed up because of the heavy weight and awkward loading and unloading method. But it shot accurately and functioned okay. Shortly after this hunt, it was sold to a friend who actually liked these features.

Owning another Henry is not for me.

TR

Am curious as to what you expected from the Henry and or lever action. Had you ever owned a lever action before ? I have and only own levers in centerfire, they all are heavy to a point. I own mostly Marlins and have bought and sold since the late 70's but of late, I have been buying the Henry's. I find them better than the Marlin/Remingtons and customer service is so much better. The loading gate debate is a non issue for me .

O kid
12-28-2018, 12:09 AM
Buckshot, I misread your original post. You contacted the newer "Henry" Arms Company that makes a copy of the "ORIGINAL 1860 HENRY RIFLE" that was made by "New Haven Arms Company", it is NOT made in the original .44 rimfire Henry round, instead it is made in .44-40WCF. Since you said that the Henry loaded by the tube I thought you were talking about that gun. The original 1871 Marlin lever rifle (in .22 rimfire) loaded through a slot in the mag tube, just like the newer Henry company's .22 rimfire does. Just like early Winchesters, Remingtons, and almost all other .22rf rifles did. The newer Henry Company, which has nothing to do with the 1860 Henry, has chosen to NOT use a loading gate on their centerfire rifles! That would add to the cost of the gun, and the gun would function differently. No loading gate poses no problem for me, as I am used to loading my 1894 .22 Marlin lever gun, my Model 60 Marlin .22auto-loader, my Remington .22 pump gun, and a variety of other tube feed guns. I am cowboy action shooter and have seen a LOT of new Marlins malfunction, all made by Remington! The newer Winchester 94's just won't cycle very fast, and the imports seem to function flawlessly. But if you want to buy American made, or if I were to buy a new lever gun it would be the newer Henry Arms Co that I would look at. They make great guns here in the USA! If you don't like the slow loading of the Henry, then buy a gun that takes detachable magazine.

curioushooter
01-01-2019, 02:57 PM
The stupid lack of a loading gate along with weighting about 1/2 to 1 pound more than a comparable Marlin or Mossberg is what has kept me away from the Henry's. I wouldn't mind a tang safety, either. Why the folks at Henry though everybody would want to load their "BIG BOYS" like a 22 I will never understand.

I've even gone so far as to price out what it would cost to have a gunsmith mill out a loading gate and make the necessary changes to make it work. Needless to say it is not worth the trouble.

curioushooter
01-01-2019, 03:05 PM
Henry is selling allot of guns this loading gate thing is over rated. The tube is far safer to unload as you can rack the lever once and use the tube to unload th rest. If decreases the odds for an errant discharge from chambering and unchambering so many rounds. The tube is so easy to learn ad I just do get why some have such an issue. I will say it’s not that big of deal they can hardly keep up now with production to add a loading gate it would take an entire redesign.

If there was a safety on the Henrys this would be a non-issue. Mossberg, Winchester (on some later ones), and Marlin all have safeties for this reason. My vote is for the sliding tang safety. Fast, positive, and works for left right handed.
It's almost like the folks at Henry are being intentionally stupid or perhaps nostalgic. There is absolutely no advantage to the tube-in-a-tube system with centerfires. It is heavier, slower, requires two hands and proping the firearm, clumsy...
Tube magazines are stupid enough. The one cool thing about them is that they can be topped off quickly and easily, even with a chambered round, and don't require two hands...well that is if you have a loading gate. If you don't you get the most asbsloutely backwards loading system found on a firearm.
I put up with the tube-in-a-tube system with my Marlin 39--which holds 20 rounds--so I basically don't need to reload in the field.

curioushooter
01-02-2019, 03:20 PM

No, a lever gun without loading gate is like a woman without a certain piece of normal female anatomy. It is a deal breaker for most guys, as this poll is clearly demonstrating.

Thundarstick
01-09-2019, 11:29 AM
I just don't see not having a loading gate as being an issue. Back when the lever action was the premiere battle rifle, especially from horse back, I could see the tube in a tube system as a definite deal breaker.
I only wish they would use a better latch and ditch the o- ring!

01-09-2019, 12:39 PM
Loading a side gate system is a non-starter for me, too. I'm not holding off a war party on horse back, so the loading while in action thing is more fantasy for me than real. Hunting, I may take two shots. I don't ever remember doing more. (Except for squirrel). By far it's a one shot deal. Some think like me, some don't. Whatever winds your clock. It's up to you.

odette
01-20-2019, 08:09 PM
I just bought a Henry .41 mag BBS. Looked for a .41 in a Marlin but gave up, so ordered the Henry. The loading gate is more of a cosmetic issue to me, I just like the looks of the gate, but unloading is safer for me with the tube. So I am mostly happy with the Henry, but I have a hard time with no half cock on the hammer. I have caught myself pulling the hammer back to put in half cock and there is none. Too used to my Marlins, Winchesters and Sharps

Bigslug
01-21-2019, 10:14 AM
I believe I may now be in the market for a .357 lever gun.

The Henry's are OUT of the running due to their lack of a loading gate. The ability to load in position and tactically top off was one of the slam dunks of the '66/'73 pattern. The front load/gravity feed tube load system is a throwback to the muzzleloaders that you ideally had to charge standing up.

I gave the notion of a gate-PLUS-tube system a ponder, then decided, NO, I'd rather not have the extra weight of an inner brass magazine tube.

I WOULD like a magazine with an easily-removable front that allows the spring and follower to be easily dumped for cleaning.

I DO like the idea of a 6:00 loading port (i.e. Remington 870/Mossberg 500) that (A.) doesn't care if you're right or left handed, and (B.) can be loaded with the support hand while the primary stays on the wrist of the stock.

9.3X62AL
01-21-2019, 12:30 PM
My Henry BBS in 357 Magnum was bought because the Winchester/Miroku 92 was unobtainium and Marlin 1894 was out of print for 3 years+ at the time of purchase. RemLin QC issues concern me, and I kinda "settled" for the Henry. I like the thing--A LOT. The magazine tube is cumbersome, but I won't be using the rifle for repelling boarders--I have better tools for that venue. It is a hunting gun, mostly. A full magazine goes for a long time, even in the varmint fields or dry washes.

I also understand the traditionalists, and their preference for the gate-loading of Marlins and Winchesters. I have and enjoy those too. But Henrys have one element that has not been present with Winchester and RemLin--THEY HAVE BEEN AVAILABLE IN 357 MAGNUM, AND THE OLD-LINE MAKERS' STUFF HAS NOT BEEN. Henry also has leverguns in 41 Magnum and 327 Federal. Henrys are well-made and well-finished. Mine will stay, and a 327 Federal may join with it this year. Miroku and RemLin need to get right, or they will surely get left. Henry is eating their lunch, and will run off with their main squeeze before much longer.

buckshotshoey
01-26-2019, 09:39 AM
If there was a safety on the Henrys this would be a non-issue. Mossberg, Winchester (on some later ones), and Marlin all have safeties for this reason. My vote is for the sliding tang safety. Fast, positive, and works for left right handed.
It's almost like the folks at Henry are being intentionally stupid or perhaps nostalgic. There is absolutely no advantage to the tube-in-a-tube system with centerfires. It is heavier, slower, requires two hands and proping the firearm, clumsy...
Tube magazines are stupid enough. The one cool thing about them is that they can be topped off quickly and easily, even with a chambered round, and don't require two hands...well that is if you have a loading gate. If you don't you get the most asbsloutely backwards loading system found on a firearm.
I put up with the tube-in-a-tube system with my Marlin 39--which holds 20 rounds--so I basically don't need to reload in the field.
WRONG! The Henry's DO have a safety. It is a hammer transfer bar that works just like the ones the Ruger revolvers have. That made them safe to carry with the hammer on a loaded cylinder.

Do you also want a tang safety on your revolvers? How about on your single shot 12 gauge? There is no reason to walk or sit in a stand with a lever action cocked anyway. It's the same speed to cock the hammer manually as it is to take off the tang safety. A tang safety is just not necessary on a Henry.

If you cock the hammer on a Henry, and your thumb slides off and the hammer falls, it WILL NOT fire. You have to be pulling on the trigger to engage the transfer bar for the hammer to connect to the firing pin. I tested mine with primed, empty brass. Do I trust it 100%? No. Only a fool would trust ANY mechanical safety 100% of the time. I still use common sense precautions.

Just keep the hammer in the down position, along with basic gun safety precautions when loading or unloading, and you are fine.

A manual safety is necessary on a bolt action, or a semi auto, and maybe even a Marlin lever action, but not on a firearm that has a transfer bar. The transfer bar system is proven and added to the list of reasons why I bought the Henry in the first place.

As for the tube, that's fine. Your preference. I have no issue with it. I actually prefer it. It fits in with my style of hunting just fine.

My Dad taught me this when I was 7 years old....Safety is not a mechanical device.....it is something you have between the ears.

curioushooter
03-03-2019, 04:01 AM
I like the transfer bar system. Mossberg 464s have them as well (as do new Win 94s). They are a good passive safety feature. Even better to have a passive transfer bar safety and an active sliding tang safety. I've tested my Mossberg 464 with primed brass. Never once has it gone off or even shown impression on the primer.

Please sir describe how you manage to keep the hammer down while unchambering your Henry? All these rifles work by cocking the hammer when the bolt comes back. Perhaps you can get it to eject without cocking fully, but that is probably more hazardous then just letting it cock. And if you have anything the magazine now you are going to have a round elevated and ready to be pushed into the chamber. And the whole process will go on like this unless you first pointed the muzzle at your hand or face and unscrewed the magazine tube. This is why it is nice to have a sliding tang safety. You just shuck all the rounds out with the SAFETY ON THE WHOLE TIME. Point it at the ground to be extra safe. This is also why magazine tube unloading is a contemptible idea.

With a Mossberg to unload safely anywhere apply the safety and lever the rounds out. Even if you were to pull the trigger somehow, and the transfer bar safety failed, you will still have an active safety. And you don't have to point the muzzle up the in air, at your hand, at your face etc. in order to LOAD or UNLOAD. You can have the muzzle pointed safely always and without issue.

Furthermore, when you scope a rifle (and I scope all my rifles pretty much) the hammer sometimes gets in the way. Hammers are slower than a sliding tang safety under the best of circumstances anyway. I keep my 464 chambered, cocked, and locked when I stalk hunt (where I always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction). Just like every field shotgunner. There isn't time to be fumbling with hammers. You do know that shotguns have a hammer inside the action right, sometimes two of them, and folks have been relying the sliding tang safety on most of them for a century without worry. How many years have 1911 type pistols been carried cocked and locked without worry?

I can deal with the Henry's safety system (thought I wouldn't mind a sliding tang safety), but I cannot abide by their retrograde loading/unloading system. It's s shame too because they seem well made and have a stronger action than the others. They have a good reputation with accuracy as well.

Handloader109
03-05-2019, 01:42 PM
The reason for Henry not adding a loading gate is that their brass receiver over a receiver wouldn't work. They couldn't do what they do with the brass cover. At least not easily. I really don't like the shiny brass as it scratches if you more than look at it. I personally don't want a gun I can't use without damaging it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

curioushooter
03-10-2019, 08:08 PM
Look...I'm not talking about those silly brass rifles they make. Any serious shooter/hunter will go for the steel. There is absolutely no reason why the steel Henrys cannot use a loading gate.

Baltimoreed
03-10-2019, 08:53 PM
I wouldn’t buy one but I’m guessing that they’re as good as any other commercial firearm in the same price range being built in todays world. And if you want an economical lever gun then fine, get one. But my beef is that they’re even remotely considered as a SASS competition rifle by The Wild Bunch. If they were an accurate copy of a Henry [pre 1866 Winchester] rifle they would be fine for SASS but they are not a reproduction of anything, just a modern rendition of a lever gun.

buckshotshoey
08-18-2019, 10:50 AM
I like the transfer bar system. Mossberg 464s have them as well (as do new Win 94s). They are a good passive safety feature. Even better to have a passive transfer bar safety and an active sliding tang safety. I've tested my Mossberg 464 with primed brass. Never once has it gone off or even shown impression on the primer.

Please sir describe how you manage to keep the hammer down while unchambering your Henry? All these rifles work by cocking the hammer when the bolt comes back. Perhaps you can get it to eject without cocking fully, but that is probably more hazardous then just letting it cock. And if you have anything the magazine now you are going to have a round elevated and ready to be pushed into the chamber. And the whole process will go on like this unless you first pointed the muzzle at your hand or face and unscrewed the magazine tube. This is why it is nice to have a sliding tang safety. You just shuck all the rounds out with the SAFETY ON THE WHOLE TIME. Point it at the ground to be extra safe. This is also why magazine tube unloading is a contemptible idea.

With a Mossberg to unload safely anywhere apply the safety and lever the rounds out. Even if you were to pull the trigger somehow, and the transfer bar safety failed, you will still have an active safety. And you don't have to point the muzzle up the in air, at your hand, at your face etc. in order to LOAD or UNLOAD. You can have the muzzle pointed safely always and without issue.

Furthermore, when you scope a rifle (and I scope all my rifles pretty much) the hammer sometimes gets in the way. Hammers are slower than a sliding tang safety under the best of circumstances anyway. I keep my 464 chambered, cocked, and locked when I stalk hunt (where I always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction). Just like every field shotgunner. There isn't time to be fumbling with hammers. You do know that shotguns have a hammer inside the action right, sometimes two of them, and folks have been relying the sliding tang safety on most of them for a century without worry. How many years have 1911 type pistols been carried cocked and locked without worry?

I can deal with the Henry's safety system (thought I wouldn't mind a sliding tang safety), but I cannot abide by their retrograde loading/unloading system. It's s shame too because they seem well made and have a stronger action than the others. They have a good reputation with accuracy as well.

You seem well versed on the transfer bar so I will add this....

You keep the hammer down while you dump the tube. No way the firing pin can hit the primer with the transfer bar dropped. Then eject the chambered round. As for pulling the tube follower, I can do it with two fingers and NEVER get my hand, or any other part of my body, over the muzzle. Hell, I'll bet you've been unloading tube fed .22's for years. It's not that difficult fella's.

As for the transfer bar, would you suggest having a cross bolt or tang safety on a Ruger Blackhawk? Its just not necessary. Just follow the proper protocol for that particular firearm. You handle the Henry exactly the same as the Blackhawk in that respect.