PDA

View Full Version : Rugers not thinking right

buck1
08-10-2008, 03:59 PM
On the 10/22...the ..trigger HOUSING, TRIGGER and BARREL BAND are now plastic..:evil:
I hate to see that as I am alergic to plastic ,,,,,,It makes me break out in bad language!!
They havent been great on fit and finish for a wile ,but they were dimonds in the rough so to speek. But plastic is just junk as far as triggers are concerned.
OLD BILL JUST MAY COME BACK AND FIRE THE LOT OF THE MANAGEMENT TEEM!!
:groner: ....Buck

Bass Ackward
08-10-2008, 05:32 PM
No! No! No! YOU are NOT thinking properly.

Ruger is doing it's part to help the economy by ensuring after market part replacement. :grin:

jonk
08-10-2008, 06:17 PM
Plastic can be made harder and stronger than steel.....but I doubt Ruger is doing this.

AZ-Stew
08-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Are we now dependent upon foriegn oil for major parts of our firearms? Maybe we have been for a long time, considering synthetic (plastic) stocks.

Seriously, though, a plastic barrel band will not take many adjustments. I find it necessary to adjust the barrel band tension to find optimum accuracy with my 10-22.

Regards,

Stew

pumpguy
08-10-2008, 07:30 PM
I have 5 in different configurations. Looks like that will be it for me.

dakotashooter2
08-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Don'y worry. If the cost of oil keeps rising it may be cheaper to go back to steel.

Ricochet
08-11-2008, 01:42 PM
It's an opportunity for the aftermarket parts manufacturers.

danski26
08-11-2008, 02:06 PM
What plastic is harder than steel????

tom barthel
08-11-2008, 02:35 PM
Sorry Ruger, It's time to say good-bye. I will not purchase another new ruger. You need me much more than I need you.

9.3X62AL
08-11-2008, 03:56 PM
RUGER GOES GLOCK!! Film at 11.

captainkirk
08-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Yeah, a lot of guys over at rugerforum were pretty upset about this when it hit the shelves. I'm pretty sure they used aluminum before, that is what the receiver is made of on the 10-22. You can always go with the Volquartson Trigger housing+guts for about what the gun cost you...

I don't remember too much scuttlebutt when Remington put plastic on the 870 "Express" shotguns, the part just isn't stressed that much and is done on a cost-saving basis. Not that I am thrilled about it either. :o(

Ricochet
08-11-2008, 05:31 PM
My Mossberg 500 has a plastic trigger guard and safety button. I'm not too concerned about it.

J Miller
08-11-2008, 06:58 PM
None of my guns has plastic trigger guards or triggers or barrel bands. Come to think of it, none of my guns has any plastic on them at all.

AND IT'S GONNA STAY THAT WAY!

Joe

Ricochet
08-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Heck, I have a Winchester M70 with a BLACK PLASTIC STOCK! :shock:

And my Weatherby Vanguard came with one. (It's got a Boyd's laminate one on it now.)

Some people on here have a whole lot funnier looking black plastic rifles than mine.

In the "Who's Got The Weirdest Milsurp" thread, none of those AR owners have fessed up yet. They'd win hands down over any of those 19th century elegant oddities.
:mrgreen:

Freightman
08-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Newest rifle I have is aShiloh Sharps (no plastic there) all others are at least WWII ventage. I don't even like a soft drink in plastic cups and for sure coffee in styro cups. Shoot I still drive a steel Ford PU old slow and heavy like myself.

buck1
08-17-2008, 12:12 AM
I can live with a lot of things , but not a plastic trigger.

Heavy lead
08-17-2008, 01:30 AM
This is really nothing new for Ruger or any of them. I'm sure shooters were beside themselves when everyone started using aluminum for bottom metal for trigger guards and floorplates back in the 60's. Give Ruger a little credit, the new Hawkeye version of the 77 has NEW steel bottom medal. Ruger knows that the 10/22 is and has always been a WalMart cheapo. Yes I have my obligitory 10/22, but it's a typical throw away gun like the 597 and most other 22's out there. If I want to shoot a real 22 I grab my Win 94-22, Marlin 39, or my Kimber. Heck, they've been using aluminum for grip frames and ejector rod housings to that need to be replaced as soon as you buy a new Blackhawk (at least I do). Heck I bought a 3 screw old model super bh a couple of years ago that had an aluminum ejector rod housing that I changed to a aftermarket steel one cause it looked like crap. If it helps Ruger stay competitive and lets them stay in business, I'm all for it.
And no I really don't like plastic on guns, but you'd better get used to it, it's the wave of the future.
Maybe Gaston Glock is working for them.

XBT
08-17-2008, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=Ricochet;

In the "Who's Got The Weirdest Milsurp" thread, none of those AR owners have fessed up yet. They'd win hands down over any of those 19th century elegant oddities.
:mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

I agree.

wills
08-17-2008, 08:44 AM
My Mossberg 500 has a plastic trigger guard and safety button. I'm not too concerned about it.

The plastic safety button on my Mossberg 500 broke into two pieces, right at the screw, which dropped into the receiver, disabling the gun.

leadeye
08-17-2008, 08:53 AM
I still have three old Remington Nylon 66 rifles one of which I use all the time so I don't have an problem with plastic guns. I just prefer wood and metal. Nothing like a nice piece of figured walnut attached to blued steel. IMHO

gasboffer
08-17-2008, 09:22 AM
Kimber has a plastic mainspring housing. Pretty cheesy for that high-priced, over-priced, no quality control, no final inspection, piece of Whatever!

hpdrifter
08-17-2008, 11:52 AM
took the words right outta my mouth.

Heavy lead
08-17-2008, 12:59 PM
I still have three old Remington Nylon 66 rifles one of which I use all the time so I don't have an problem with plastic guns. I just prefer wood and metal. Nothing like a nice piece of figured walnut attached to blued steel. IMHO

I'm with you for the most part, however a couple years ago I bought a Stevens 311 16 gauge for 200 bucks with that Nylon 66 type of stock on it. Casehardened parts and blueing were nice on this gun, from the get go I was going to restock it, until I was bird hunting in the UP and I realized the thing was like toting nothing, I never weighed it until I got home a week later. Plugged a few upland birds with it and it only weighs a hair over 6 pounds. To get a nice 6 pound 16 gauge with wood, I'd have to give at least 10 times that much, so you know what it's still got the swirly plastic wood, if it breaks maybe I'll try to find some balsa wood laminate.

[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

Heavy lead
08-17-2008, 01:00 PM
Kimber has a plastic mainspring housing. Pretty cheesy for that high-priced, over-priced, no quality control, no final inspection, piece of Whatever!

What model(s) are you referring to sir?

JohnH
08-17-2008, 01:19 PM
Oooh, I can see it now, people asking more for their all metal 10/22 than the gun was ever worth all because it has no plastic. What a boon for the after market seller. Never mind that plastics have been in common use on firearms and other products we use daily for over half a century and they have done nothing but improve in durability, cost savings and customer satisfaction since their introduction.

When Glock introduced it's polymer frame pistols, people hated it. 25 years later, the technology is no longer cutting edge, but state of the art, everyone markets a plastic pistol, and the type dominates the market.

So just what is wrong with plastic triggers, trigger housings and barrel bands? It is a taste thing, and while each is certainly entitled to suit themselves on that note; Ruger has done nothing more than any other manufactuer has done; using a lower cost material that meets the same performance demands as the older material which inproves their bottom line and allows them to remain competitive and stay in business. Gee, I wonder what people thought when some started to use wood instead of stones to build houses.

Which would you rather see, plastic barrel bands and trigger guards or no 10/22's? Seems everyone screamed about their using aluminum on the grip frames for the Blackhawk, but it don't seem to have stopped the sales.....

Lee
08-17-2008, 02:05 PM
I have a nice Savage 30-06 with a nice metal trigger guard. Cosmolined the crap out of it, put it away. 3 years later there's a rust cancer on the trigger guard.:twisted:
Having said that, I can see some advantages in some plastic parts on a wapon. I just draw the line at plastic BARRELS!................

leadeye
08-17-2008, 02:38 PM
On target there Heavy Lead. I take a Nylon 66 with me as an around the farm gun. It is very light and makes a good accurate pest eliminator here in Indiana as we don't have much in the way of big problem critters. They don't get passed around when you are showing off guns to friends, but I think in critters killed over the years they beat everything else I have combined. A game warden friend of mine refered to them as "the poachers friend".

gasboffer
08-18-2008, 10:43 AM
What model(s) are you referring to sir?

All the 3 and 4" bbl models. Don't know about the 5"ers.

C1PNR
08-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Maybe it's an "old guy" thing, but REAL guns are made of highly polished and blued carbon steel and wood! :-D

I almost said walnut, but I do have a couple of handguns, and a few rifles now that I think about it, with other types of hardwood stocks.:coffee:

gon2shoot
08-18-2008, 07:37 PM
I recently sent Ruger an e-mail bemoaning the "cheapening" of their product, aluminum, plastic etc, and told them about scratches, buggered screws etc. on my latest BH 45.
They offered to send me new screws.
I have been a big Ruger fan since since I bought my first SBH in 71.

It's very doubtfull I will buy another new Ruger.