PDA

View Full Version : Boolits and Muzzle Tamers

TCLouis
08-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Both of my 45-70 Contender barrels have their version of a recoil reducing device. It is "written that the ports cause gas jet cutting of the plain based boolits.

Does anyone here (I don't really care what the"expert" gunzine writers say) have any experience with plain base vs GC Boolit on a barrel with the ports?

Your facts, SWAGS and WAGS will be appreciated.

Bass Ackward
08-10-2008, 05:40 PM
In order for a muzzle break to work, it needs high pressure to function. When you shoot PB bullets, what do you usually try to prevent?

Was your answer pressure? Then you WIN!!!

So damage will depend on what you are doing to it. Guess what? This is EXACLTY the same as when you DON'T have a port / brake. The only thing is you can't see any evidence of your damage except for what happens on the target.

So can it work well? Yes. Can YOU screw it up royaly? Yes.

Sounds like everything else in shooting cast huh? Depends on you. :grin:

runfiverun
08-10-2008, 08:10 PM
you might get some goo in there....
they may be accurate....
try a couple of different powder speeds.

theperfessor
08-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Not trying to hijack this thread, but I wonder if there has been any comparisons between different types of porting configurations and their effect on cast bullets. Maybe if you report your results along with the shape of your port we could all learn something.

BOOM BOOM
08-12-2008, 11:15 PM
Hi,
The 2 Best Groups I Ever Shot W/ Cast Were In A Mag-na-ported Marlin Lever Action.
1 -a Squib Load W/ A 250 Gr. Gc. Kieth & 700x, 11rounds All Touching.
2- A Full House Load Imr 4198 44grs. Same Bullet.
At 100yds. Of Course.
Never Tried A Plain Base.