PDA

View Full Version : south Dakota property cost

hanleyfan
10-12-2017, 03:53 PM
I am thinking about moving to spearfish, SD and was wondering where to look for property below 100,000. Don't want to live in town so has to be rural, Doctor said it would help my lungs out if I move to a dryer climate. The humidity here in Ohio is quite bad down here close to the Ohio river.

MT Gianni
10-12-2017, 04:28 PM
https://www.zillow.com/buy/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=448826822|27069849662|kwd-36683496800|150084955372|11647337411&semQue=null&k_clickid=_kenshoo_clickid&sitelinktest2&buyer&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImcaJ_PXr1gIVCo9-Ch0Xhwz-EAAYASABEgIrOfD_BwE
Zillow or realtor dot com shows you almost every listing out there. By Don't want to live in town do you mean St Onge or Belle Fouche or just spearfish. You can play around a lot in there.

hanleyfan
10-12-2017, 04:38 PM
I don't want to be in any town limits, it has to out in the country.

starmac
10-12-2017, 06:01 PM
You really need to go there and look around in person for several reasons. Many times in places this rural, you can buy a quarter section cheaper than what you can get ten acres for.
Another reason is the internet realtors, I have seen folks buy small acreages (a section or less) in ranch country and pay 10 times the going rate in the area, just to resell it several years later for the going rate at a huge loss.

smkummer
10-12-2017, 06:19 PM
I am from ND (25 years) and have lived one year in Sioux Falls, SD. I live outside Louisville, KY now. In western SD, it will generally seem more rural than in Ohio but that area is unique. It gets some chinook winds so the winters are less cold but be ready for large amounts of winter snow. Rapid city will be your big city experience if you need or want that for stores. You really need to go there and look before you make a decision. Good luck

cheese1566
10-12-2017, 07:21 PM
I live in Spearfish.
You won't find a house let alone anything outside town for under that. You will find bare land with no structures.

Catshooter
10-12-2017, 10:15 PM
I live in eastern SD, so my thoughts may not relevant to you.

In my no-stop-light town, $100,000 will buy you multiple homes. In town. If you want outside of town, you have to know people here in order to hear about property for sale. It's not listed. The only listed properties are farms/farmland and they start at about $4,000 an acre and go up from there. A "farm" is usually no less than 160 acres, and up.

However, it gets humid here. Are you sure SD is the right state? If I were searching for dry air, I'd go to Arizona or New Mexico, somewhere like that.

Good luck to you.

Cat

MaryB
10-12-2017, 10:29 PM
Right on the edge of the Black Hills National Forest so all vacation property that is over priced... I checked landwatch and you can get a mobile home in a mobile home park for that price, and I saw a tiny little one room cabin on Zillow...

NyFirefighter357
10-12-2017, 10:41 PM
It looks a lot cheaper over the boarder in Wyoming. Just a thought.

runfiverun
10-12-2017, 11:00 PM
a bit dryer climate too.
getting out of town in Wyoming is fairly difficult and 100-K? well,, they make oil field wages there.

bell fourche is kind of like Mayberry living on the edge of town is basically out of town.

StolzerandSons
10-12-2017, 11:42 PM
Be prepared to enjoy bike week for a couple weeks each year whether you want to or not. Spearfish gets just as packed as Sturgis each year. Unless you have a specific reason to look at Spearfish, I would probably look into other low humidity states. You can still find a decent deal on rural property in certain parts of Wyoming, New Mexico, Arizona, parts of Montana...

reddog81
10-13-2017, 12:33 AM
Right now in spearfish it is 37 degrees and 75% humidity. If I was going to move somewhere for the weather it would not be western South Dakota. Beautiful place to visit though.

dragon813gt
10-13-2017, 01:25 AM
Move to Arizona if you want dry. I can't stand working here. But if you need a drier climate for medical reasons this would be the place.

historicfirearms
10-13-2017, 12:29 PM
I've got family in Sundance, WY and have visited several times myself. It's a beautiful place but work opportunities are few and far between. Poverty seems to be the norm. Housing is expensive especially outside of town. Snow but more sun in the winter than Ohio.

hanleyfan
10-13-2017, 02:07 PM
after checking out some reality prices in SD I might have to just stay in Ohio. I have family that lives in St. Onge,SD and have visited in july one time and it was refreshing humidity wise compared to Ohio in July. I just don't understand the high price of real estate in state like SD.

RGrosz
10-13-2017, 02:19 PM
Spearfish is a great town. I live in the opposite side of the state, so agree with Catshooter might not be to relivent to our experience. The whole area is just beautiful. There are other places that are close and not so over run with tourists and bikers for tow or three weeks every year. South Dakota is actually two different states. East river and west river. The dividing line is the Missouri river, East river they are more humid and gets more rain. West river is the land of the cowboys and more open spaces. I would look for a place between the hills and the Badlands unless you have to live close to Spearfish.
Rob

Echo
10-13-2017, 02:37 PM
A shooting friend of mine retired from the Border Patrol and moved "to the end of a 20-mile dirt road" in central AZ. It's possible - and it's a dry heat (higher country where he moved to, not so much - heat, that is).

dragon813gt
10-13-2017, 03:43 PM
I just don't understand the high price of real estate in state like SD.
6 letters, two words; OIL & GAS

cheese1566
10-13-2017, 08:56 PM
Right now in spearfish it is 37 degrees and 75% humidity. If I was going to move somewhere for the weather it would not be western South Dakota. Beautiful place to visit though.

Actually Spearfish is pretty mild for winters and low humidity and bugs in summer.
True, lots of snow but it doesn't stay long. Big snow typically comes in the spring months.
Low humidity as I am ready to crank up the humidifier in the house.

Not much for jobs and houses and land are overpriced because of retirees from Colorado and California moving here.

MaryB
10-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Some great hunting and fishing along the MO River but a lot of that is also indian rez...

nawagner
05-05-2021, 08:57 AM
High prices right now in SD due to COVID. People are getting out of the crazy states and away from people. What state isn't crazy and has few people? SD. Also as mentioned the Black Hills over outdoor activity so that drives it up as well. As mentioned, may want to look at WY. Very dry, no income taxes, good people.

waksupi
05-05-2021, 12:25 PM
I get daily real estate listings. There are some reasonably priced properties in the Lemon, S.D. area.

If you want cheap and dry, look at Glasgow, Montana. Only problem is, you are a LONG way from anything resembling a real town.

john.k
05-05-2021, 06:27 PM
A guy I know decided to sell out and move onto a mountain top.....plenty of land ,nice views ,sheltered position .....he was always saying how great it was........until he had a serious health problem .....then it was a terrible place ,land too steep to maintain,neighbours refusing to pay agistment they had agreed to ,complaints to the weed control ,and having to hire in help .

marlin39a
05-05-2021, 07:50 PM
This thread is 3 yrs old, and the OP hasn’t logged in here in a year.

ShooterAZ
05-05-2021, 08:32 PM
This thread is 3 yrs old, and the OP hasn’t logged in here in a year.

That's because poster #21 is a Spammer, and has subsequently been given a one way ticket to Banned Camp.

nawagner
05-05-2021, 10:53 PM
Well Damn. I usually check that. My bad.

trails4u
05-06-2021, 12:09 AM
A shooting friend of mine retired from the Border Patrol and moved "to the end of a 20-mile dirt road" in central AZ. It's possible - and it's a dry heat (higher country where he moved to, not so much - heat, that is).

Went to Bagdad, did he?