PDA

View Full Version : Upstate NY Ammo question

myg30
10-08-2017, 10:09 AM
This year I might be able to deer hunt with my daughter and nephew. My question is can I legally by ups ground ship my reloaded rifle Ammo to myself at their address for sighting and hunting 3 rifles maybe 50- 60rds max.
I know they have Ammo purchase laws forbid internet, mail order buying unless it's shipped to an gun store or FFL. I guess, and they must show ID to purchase.
I'd be flying NOT driving up there or I'd just bring with me.
How do competition shooters send their Ammo to Up state NY ?
Any place I can find info in plain English with out a lawyer to decipher it ?

Thanks in advance, Mike

dragon813gt
10-08-2017, 10:21 AM
You can fly w/ ammo so just pack it in your checked bag.

bruce drake
10-08-2017, 01:52 PM
You can fly w/ ammo so just pack it in your checked bag.

This right here. Put the ammo in your luggage separate from your rifle cases and you should be fine.

funnyjim014
10-08-2017, 02:38 PM
The ammo shipping thing is messed up. There are some places that will ship to a non ffl, that part of the SAFE act was put on hold. But the majority of mail order still won't ship as its very unclear. Targetsports is one of the few places that will ship

dragon813gt
10-08-2017, 03:06 PM
This right here. Put the ammo in your luggage separate from your rifle cases and you should be fine.

It's best to check the airlines policies. I'm able to keep the ammo in the same locked case as the guns. The TSA does not prevent this but the airline might.

bruce drake
10-08-2017, 03:22 PM
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Plate plinker
10-08-2017, 04:05 PM
It might need to be in a factory box. Anybody else know if that is true.

dragon813gt
10-08-2017, 04:16 PM
It might need to be in a factory box. Anybody else know if that is true.

I've had no issues w/ MTM boxes. It needs to be in some form of box. It can't be in a baggie. And honestly the MTM boxes are more secure than a 100 count WWB of 9mm. The cartridges are loose in the box.

I can tell you your experience is going to be airport, airline and gate agent dependent. It's best to have a printed copy of the airlines rules. Gate agents don't see firearms as often and a lot of them aren't aware of their own rules. Or the TSA rules. Had an agent tell me that I need to use a TSA lock on the case. Give yourself extra time if you're traveling w/ a firearm. If you're traveling w/ just ammo put it on your checked bag and no one will know.

Plate plinker
10-08-2017, 04:42 PM
True it will depend on the gate people. A relative that travels a lot has had many differing experiences.

Dragon has good advice.

myg30
10-08-2017, 04:42 PM
I really was wanting to ship the Ammo, not carry it because of potential BS at the counter and TSA. I can ship my rifle or use one that's there. Less hassle is use one there so hence my asking about Ground shipping my Ammo.
So far lots of good input, but my real question remains open.

Mike

bullet maker 57
10-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Where are you going in upstate NY?. If you will be near Newburgh you can send it to me. I have my FFL. Just a thought.