PDA

View Full Version : Star dies that I make

Pages : [1] 2

lathesmith
08-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Hello all,
I wanted to post this thread to show and discuss the dies for the Star and Ballisti-cast machines that I make. All of my dies are made from tool steel, I won't use anything less. These are typically hardened to 50+ Rockwell, and are quite wear- and abrasion- resistant, and make a nice long-lasting die.
I am going to start offering what I call the "standard" die configuration. This is a hardened die, with 3 rows of holes for 3 lube grooves (and less), spaced approx. .125 apart. The first row is about .750 from the top of the die. This configuration will cover maybe 80 or 90 per cent of bullets out there. I can still do custom spacing, on request. Remember, you can always plug unneeded holes with 7 1/2 shot, this is easy to do, and this can always be (carefully) removed later if you need the extra row.
The price for a "standard" die is $43. Shipping runs $5 for the first die, $2.50 for each additional die. I will still make available a non-hardened version; subtract $4 from the die price if you want this. I can take Paypal or money orders, your choice.
Of course, I also offer punches for the Star; these run $15 each for the flat punch, and $17 each for the dished style that is popular with gas checks. I don't recommend using a dished punch with plain-base bullets, as you can get an unacceptable amount of base distortion.
Plain punch nuts run $4, punch nuts with setscrews are $7, and the roller "L" handle is $31.00 shipped. I can also make you a die removal tool if your sizer is missing this, they run $22 each.
I would like to take this opportunity to say a big "thank you" to all the guys on the boards here that have supported me and helped get this project going. Also, together we have made a nice financial contribution to the boards here, and I will continue doing this periodically in the future. There are many satisfied users of these dies to date.

Update: I now offer punches and punch nuts with setscrews for the Ballisti-cast MK VI sizer. The punches are the same price as listed above for the Star. The punch nuts with setscrews are $4 each, or $37/10.
Thanks again,
lathesmith

warf73
08-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Great die's.

Thanks Again lathesmith for the great die's.

Warf

GabbyM
08-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Can you do a little .225" with a matching punch?
Need a 6mm in .244 too.
I can imagine the little ones would be tough to get tooled up for.
I wouldn't need any heat treat. I'm sure they wouldn't grow any faster than my bores.

454PB
08-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Having made a few myself, that's a good price. Star dies are labor intensive.

lathesmith
08-14-2008, 03:12 PM
I wanted to post an update here. I have decided to go ahead and tool up to do smaller sizers also. This means I can now make everything from .22 to .50-ish. Now the rifle guys can enjoy the benefits of less expensive dies also.
lathesmith

MtGun44
08-15-2008, 12:30 AM
A satisfied customer. Surface finish inside is superb. I got one of the
development versions and it is just fine. I will order more in the future.

Bill

Randy in Arizona
08-18-2008, 08:30 PM
I wanted to post an update here. I have decided to go ahead and tool up to do smaller sizers also. This means I can now make everything from .22 to .50-ish. Now the rifle guys can enjoy the benefits of less expensive dies also. lathesmith

What would you want for a Lyman type set to resize some 30 caliber cast boolits for use in a 7.35 Italian? Probably a sized diameter of .300 to .301". Would need a longer sizing taper than normal.

lathesmith
08-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Randy, contact Buckshot here, I believe he can fix you up with about anything you need when it comes to the Lyman lube/sizer. He definitely comes highly recommended!
lathesmith

PatMarlin
08-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Very nice dies LS. Makes me wish I owned a Star, but my old trusty 45's work well for me.

What lathe are you using?...:drinks:

lathesmith
08-24-2008, 07:49 PM
PM, that's an HF "Bench Dog" 812, aka 44859 lathe, that has been heavily modified by me. It is now a quite capable machine, and I'm pretty happy with it.
lathesmith

475/480
08-25-2008, 11:05 AM
I thank you also ,the Star die you made me works great.

Sean

practical_man
08-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Got my first Lathesmith die today and couldn't wait to try it out! It's exactly what I asked for and performs magnificently.

Thanks again for making a great die at a great price. I'll definately buy again. I'll be needing a 9.3 as soon as if get the mold design figured out.

-john

vernm
08-29-2008, 10:55 PM
Lathesmith

I didn't see the price for a punch. Do you machine a concave depression in the face of the punch to keep the sprue from tilting the bullet?

Vern

AzShooter
08-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Just received my second die from Lathesmith and it's as perfect as the first. Glad I found you and I'm sure I'll be ordering more as needed.

Next project is to try to figure out how to hook up a nitrogen bottle to my Star for a pressure bottle.

lathesmith
08-30-2008, 10:14 AM
vernm, punches usually run $13. If you want the punch convex on the end all you have to do is ask; I can easily make it that way if you want it.
lathesmith

Cayoot
08-30-2008, 02:28 PM
I bought 3 dies from Lathesmith....awsome! What a gracious and helpful gentleman he is to work with.

I highly recommend him!

Lead Head
08-31-2008, 07:47 PM
lathesmith:

I will PM you to talk about a Star die or two, and top punches.

Glad I found this thread.......

Ted
09-12-2008, 06:40 PM
I am wondering if it would be possible/practical to make a sizer die for the Star Luber that had a slot cut into it rather then 2 or 3 holes. What this would be intended for is sizing/lubing Lee Tumble lube bullets.

For example the Ranch dog TLC460-350-RF has 4 lube groves in .310", .410" if you plan on lubing between the top of the gas check and the first band.

Does this make sense?

Ted

gds
09-13-2008, 08:06 PM
lathesmith

I will need at least 3 dies soon. A .312 to .314, a .309, and a .356. From the reviews you must be the man to get them from. I have to wait a little because of waiting to order the boolit molds when I have a little more money.

Woodtroll
09-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Gentlemen,

I just wanted to add my two cents in here, too. Lathesmith made me two dies and a top punch, in somewhat of a custom configuration, and was willing to spend the time discussing the project until we were sure it would turn out right.

He makes a quality product at a fair price, plus you get to talk to someone with some sense and who cares that you are happy with the outcome. Try that at Magma Engineering!

Y'all take care,

Regan

lathesmith
09-14-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, it's helpful not only for me but also for your fellow shooters. These dies are made by a caster for casters, and it's merely an interesting extension of my obscession...er, hobby.
gds, just let me know when you are ready, I'll be happy to fix you up. Ted, while it is possible to make a slotted die, I don't think it would be very workable. For one, it would take extra machining time, which would make the die more expensive. Two, the smallest mill I have is 1/8", which I think would allow way too much lube to flow through it, and you wouldn't be able to shut it off. This would probably be quite messy, and not very satisfactory. I'll try to make anything you ask for, but on experimental projects like this you are kinda on your own. A better solution would simply be to have a series of 4 or 5 closely spaced rows of holes, you can lube all the grooves in the tumble lube bullets cleanly this way. I have actually tried this, and it does work fine.
lathesmith

lathesmith
10-29-2008, 06:38 PM
As an update here, I am now able to make the nuts for the top punches. These run $4 each when shipped with a die and/or punch order. I can make standard thickness, or "extra thick" for those of you who want to drill and tap these for a set screw. Just let me know how thick you want them.
lathesmith

crabo
10-30-2008, 12:33 AM
How about a nut drilled and tapped already so we don't have to mess with it?

lathesmith
12-30-2008, 12:20 AM
I forgot to update this. I now offer not only the plain nut, but also nuts that have been drilled and tapped for set screws.
Thanks,
lathesmith

ddeaton
12-30-2008, 11:53 AM
As an update here, I am now able to make the nuts for the top punches. These run $4 each when shipped with a die and/or punch order. I can make standard thickness, or "extra thick" for those of you who want to drill and tap these for a set screw. Just let me know how thick you want them.
lathesmith

Lathesmith, How about the locknut with the turned ring for the auto feeder?

lathesmith
12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
dd,
I haven't seen one of these, so I don't know what size they are or what they look like. If you could give a location of some data on one of these, I'd be happy to take a look.
lathesmith

ddeaton
12-30-2008, 10:53 PM
dd,
I haven't seen one of these, so I don't know what size they are or what they look like. If you could give a location of some data on one of these, I'd be happy to take a look.
lathesmith

I will take a pic of mine tomorrow and post it. My knee is killing me tonight and I cant get to the dungeon.

Halo_Ranger
01-09-2009, 06:50 PM
How much for the drilled and tapped lock nuts?

lathesmith
01-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Locknuts drilled and tapped with a set screw run $7.
Thanks,
lathesmith

Fat-beeman
01-13-2009, 10:36 PM
for lathesmith
do you offer and boolit molds?
Don
e mail
beekeeper4u2@wmconnect.com

lathesmith
01-14-2009, 10:42 PM
F-b, no, mainly just stuff for Star sizers, and a few other odd lathe projects.
lathesmith

Pitmaster
01-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Mine arrived late last week as scheduled. Worked like a champ last night. Thanks lathesmith.

ddeaton
01-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Lathesmith, funds in mail. Looking forward to these

FN in MT
01-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Lathesmith,

Finally got round to using the .358", .411" and .452" dies You made for me back in late November. They are absolutely flawless. Craftsmanship and pride in ones work ISN'T a thing of the past! Thank You.

FN in MT

Halo_Ranger
02-02-2009, 11:30 AM
I received my dies, punch and locknuts Thursday. I put them to use this weekend. I have this to say. They are top notch. I have never used a Star until this weekend. It took me 15 minutes to set up for 45. and 5 minutes for 9mm. With the locknuts my settings were saved so I can switch them out quickly. I was able to size and lube over 1500 boolits in about an hour. Now I have to cast more.

icm
02-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Hi All. I am new here. I decided to be a member of Castboolits becose i learned lot of things about casting etc. reading your posts. I read many posts about Star lubrisizer ( i did not know it. It is not for sale in Italy. We have RCBS Lyman and Saeco lubrisizers) so now i am Star lubrisizer enthusiast. Just bought a second hand one from U.S.A. (still waiting for it). Now i have a problem... i need sizers. Would like to ask to Mr. Lathesmith if he could contact me trought the forum because i want to order some of his sizer. As you all can see , i am not so good in english language....and not too many familiar with forum.... so be understanding please. Thank you. Regards.

Cayoot
02-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Welcome aboard icm!

You have made a good choice with Mr. Lathesmith's sizer dies. Both the product and the man are top notch!

The Star is a great machine, but it does take a little getting used to.

For one thing, if you don't have a heater for it, you might want to get one.

I use a cheap clothes iron. I just plug it in and prop it against the sizer until the lube flows easily. Then I unplug the iron and set it aside.

Lots of little thing to learn with the Star, but it's well worth the effort!

Don't hesitate to post questions in here, but you might want to check the archives first, because chances are pretty good that if you have a question, someone else had the same question and has already asked it in here!

It's good to have you aboard!

lathesmith
02-10-2009, 11:04 PM
icm,
I would also like to say "hello" and welcome to the forums. I totally agree, this is a great place to learn and share our common knowledge about loading, shooting, and other related topics.
I think the Star is a great lube/sizer, and that you will enjoy using it very much, once you learn how to use it. I will be happy to supply you with dies, punches, and locknuts for your machine, and shipping to Italy isn't a problem. So, send me a private message, and we can talk about what you would like for your machine.
Good shooting,
lathesmith

ddeaton
02-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Lathesmith, I got a box with a bunch of hardware in it when I back from out of town. I couldnt wait to size some of them. I had some 357s and 30s sitting waiting on these. Do you know what size the Orings are in the Magma? I must have nicked my top ring and now its leaking bad.
Thanks again for the dies!:drinks:

icm
02-11-2009, 05:18 AM
Reply to Cayoot
Thank you for suggestions. I was lucky, i found one Star with heating base and bullet feeder too, the guy that sold it to me insured me everything is 100% ok (hope it is true) I just saw few pics and it looks like new. I read about your solution to heat the lube and it is what i wanted to do to heat lube because i already have clotes iron, it is the cheapest way. I started to read the forum posts maybe 2 months ago. It is really great. Lots of interesting topics and discussions. And it is true I have lots of things to learn about Star lubrisizer because what i know is what i read.. never used one. just have to wait until i will get it at home and try it.

Reply to Lathesmith
Will try to send you private message but as i told i am not too familiar with forum and did not yet find out how to send private message.... sorry...

lathesmith
02-11-2009, 11:36 AM
dd, Cayoot, HR, FN, PM, and others....thanks for the comments, it is nice to let other folks know that when it comes to the Star, they do have more than one choice when it comes to dies. Danny, sorry, I have never actually seen or used a Star that uses O-rings, so I don' t really know what to tell you to look for. Glad your stuff got there OK, it ought to keep you busy for a while.
icm, I got your PM and will send a reply shortly.
lathesmith

mtgrs737
02-11-2009, 12:48 PM
Lathesmith, I got a box with a bunch of hardware in it when I back from out of town. I couldnt wait to size some of them. I had some 357s and 30s sitting waiting on these. Do you know what size the Orings are in the Magma? I must have nicked my top ring and now its leaking bad.
Thanks again for the dies!:drinks:

Stop by your local Ace or True-Value hardware store and have a look in the plumbing department, take you old O-ring with you. I will bet that they have an exsact replacement there. You can use a caliper to measure the thickness of the o-ring and just eyeball the diameter. I have a couple of O-ring assortments that came from Harbor freight but they don't cover all the sizes and thicknesses.

dragonrider
02-11-2009, 12:49 PM
I am assuming he means the o'rings on the lube piston. yes??

ddeaton
02-11-2009, 06:06 PM
No, the o rings in the die cavity. I am guessing this is only on the new Magmas? These seal the center lube cavity on the OD of the die when it is inserted in the sizer.

Willbird
02-11-2009, 06:38 PM
No, the o rings in the die cavity. I am guessing this is only on the new Magmas? These seal the center lube cavity on the OD of the die when it is inserted in the sizer.

Those O rings are a terrible "improvement" in the newer Star's...the dang thing gets rolled out of the groove by the lube in the relieved area of the die when your removing it, then it gets jammed in there.

The solution I think is to cut an o-ring groove in the DIE right up near the flange and not put an o-ring in the groove in the lube sizer. I want to make some lube size dies of my own and I am going to try that.

Bill

dragonrider
02-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Didn't know they were doing that. I imagine it is cheaper to produce that way.

ddeaton
02-11-2009, 10:06 PM
that is why I nicked mine taking the die out and it got pinched. Magma suggests a light coat of oil on the die when inserting it. I think it is ok, just need to be aware and careful.

rbwillnj
02-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Lathesmith, I sent you a PM, I need some of your sizer dies.

mtgrs737
02-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Lathesmith is taking a little break with the family, he will be back on in a short time, he asked me to keep a eye out here for folks trying to contact him. Hold on for a short time and he will answer you.

mtgrs737
02-18-2009, 11:13 AM
I have a used Star sizer that on some dies will oze lube from around the die, it most likely was worn or damaged at one time. The fix is easy, I wrap two or three turns of the teflon plummers tape around the top of the die and it stops the oze, it cheap, easy, and effective. Teflon tape varies in thickness so you will have to experiment with the number of wraps.

Willbird
02-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I have a used Star sizer that on some dies will oze lube from around the die, it most likely was worn or damaged at one time. The fix is easy, I wrap two or three turns of the teflon plummers tape around the top of the die and it stops the oze, it cheap, easy, and effective. Teflon tape varies in thickness so you will have to experiment with the number of wraps.

I did try using mine with NO O-ring and it oozed lube. Using the O-ring allows them a far wider size tolerance and less critical surface finish requirements. it is plan and simple a shortcut to the mfg process. What "grabs" the O-ring is the lube in the recess on the die, so I do not think grease will help there. I have had the most success pulling the die out partway, then snagging the O-ring with a hook shaped dental pick, then pulling it out over the die, then pull the die the rest of the way out. The deal is the O-ring gets pulled out of it's groove by the lube in the recess on the die, and no way can it get back in the groove to let the die come out. I have thought about trying a square O-ring, or gluing the O-ring in the groove with say permetex black silicone.

I'm sure all the folks at Magma when I remove a die have to cool their ears with ice cubes :-).

Bill

jsizemore
02-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Lathesmith, PM sent. Enjoy the family, see you when you get back. Jim

lathesmith
02-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Well, we got back from Mexico today; tired but had a good time. It's kind of a tricky situation--do you post on the 'net that you will be gone for a week, or do you try and be a little more low profile? I chose low profile, and want to say "thanks" to those of you who helped me do this. Also, thanks to all you guys who are wanting to get some dies and were patient and understanding, I appreciate it. I will be working extra hard the next week or two to get caught up, if you haven't heard from me yet please send me another note. I'm only human, and it is easy to accidentally overlook a message. Thanks again, I look forward to getting back to the shop!
lathesmith

Firebricker
03-07-2009, 02:05 PM
lathesmith, I recieved the dies yesterday they look great not to mention the fast turn around time. Thanks again F.B.

EDK
03-08-2009, 12:38 PM
I am using some group buy moulds with BIG LUBE GROOVES, similar to the LYMAN 429667, and having problems getting the grooves filled. If I have all the holes in the die open, I get lube on the nose. (To add to the problem, yesterday I used wheel weight ingots I've been using for awhile and must have gotten some soft ones! so the boolits were .0005 to .001 undersize as cast. It was 70 degrees and I was getting busy and didn't think to check the hardness.)

Any suggestions on a special hole spacing or size. I really like the 44 250 full wadcutter from OLD WEST BULLET MOULDS...it sucks up lube as bad as the LYMAN Cowboy Boolits.

I'd appreciate a PM with your ideas...and address and price for a .431 sizer die for my STAR.

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

Jon K
03-08-2009, 01:22 PM
EDK,

I assume you're using lathesmith's standard 3 groove die, right?

I'm lubing Lyman 427666, RCBS 44-40 200gr, Saeco #420 (all big lube groove) I only use the 2 row center holes(Magma die).
Once you have boolit aligned in the die, you may need to warm up the lube, if it's too hard, or give it an extra pump stroke for more lube.

Jon

Springfield
03-08-2009, 01:43 PM
EDK; You are not suppossed to keep all the holes open, just one row of 3. Find the row that aligns with the lube groove when the bullet is at the lowest point and plug all the others with shot.

EDK
03-08-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm using MAGMA or STAR dies; White Label 50/50 lube. I broke down and hooked up the heater....that solved the problem for now, but I still need the .431 die....have .430 and .432 for the RANCH DOGS. I like to do minimal sizing.

The lube gets darker when using the heater, but that shouldn't effect anything.

Thanks again for the help. It's a d---- poor day that I don't learn something new on the forums.

Jon K
03-08-2009, 04:29 PM
EDK,

lathesmith's prices are right, quick response and turn around time. You can't go wrong.

Jon

lathesmith
03-08-2009, 04:30 PM
EDK,
I see there is a little confusion here about using multiple rows of holes for filling one lube groove. A die must be designed for this from the start; just opening up all the rows in a "normal" die made for muliple lube grooves obviously won't work, and just makes a mess.
Cajun Shooter and I came up with a close-spaced row design, just for these oversize lube groove bullets. This design uses two rows spaced about .060 apart with the normal offset; this gets twice the amount of lube for the pressure and heat than a "normal" row of three holes. This allows you to work faster, and just generally seems to fill that large groove better. I suggest you send Cajun Shooter a PM, he can tell you more about how these dies work than I can.
lathesmith

castalott
03-08-2009, 07:17 PM
lathesmith...please check your messages....

Thank You...Dale

EDK
03-09-2009, 11:05 AM
The oversize lube die design from Cajun Shooter and Lathesmith looks perfect for what I'm casting. The boolits I prefer...#429667 and the 200 and 250 grain 44 wadcutters from group buys have oversize lube grooves. The lube grooves on 429244 and 429215 are tiny in comparison. I appreciate the advice and emails.

Is there a difference in density(?) of the lube if it is applied cold as opposed to using the heater base? The lube is darker if heated. I had prefered not to use the heater when I was using GAR 50/50 (I miss those good people to buy from!) because it took awhile to bring up to heat or it got too messy...I like using the STAR (or my DILLON 550B) because you can accomplish a lot in a few minutes while waiting for the wife to do something/get ready to go out...but LARS' 50/50 doesn't seem to require as much time warming. Forgetting to turn off the heater can create a lovely mess underneath!

Thanks again guys

mick27
10-28-2009, 08:05 AM
hi lathesmith,

am sending a pm with my needs..

thanks,
mick27
mick jones

Joe Foss
10-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Can you give me a phone # or address for ordering dies for a magma star lubrisizer? Thanks Joe

Muddy Creek Sam
10-28-2009, 12:47 PM
OOPS, Thought you wanted the Sizer. PM Lathesmith.

Sam :D

Springfield
10-28-2009, 12:55 PM
If the holes are lines up properly then the 3 regular holes work fine. If not then it can be hit and miss. I can lube this bullet with one pass, so I doubt anything you have holds more lube. It is all about getting them lined up properly for good flow, otherwise it is just squeaking in there instead of flowing easily.

Ralbsy
12-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Lathesmith,

you have a PM

cheers,

R

Depdog
12-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Ordered a Die, Set Screw Nut, and L Handle, still waiting on my Star to arrive as well.

Ought to have a good setup when it's all together.

Glenn

Paul4895
02-08-2010, 11:22 AM
lathesmith,
you have a pm, please check your messages

Thank You,
Paul4895

vernm
05-06-2010, 01:02 AM
PM for order sent.

Thanks,

Vern

lathesmith
05-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Thanks Vern, pm now replied to.

lathesmith

vernm
05-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Check is in the mail.

TomK
05-21-2010, 07:59 AM
I need a .410 sizer for use w/gas checks in the Star Lubrisizer for the 41 Mag.

:?:
Hello all,
I wanted to post this thread to show and discuss the two types of Star dies that I have been making for the guys here. First, there is the Buckshot c-clip die, and I also make traditional flanged-style as well. I make these from O-1 tool steel. I can harden these for you, or you can harden them yourself. Be aware, if you buy one unhardened and later decide to harden it, you may have to slightly re-fit it to your press, as it will "grow" arould .0005 or so. Also, the bore size will grow around .0007. This usually isn't a big deal but you do need to be aware of it.

I am going to start offering what I call the "standard" die configuration. This is a hardened die, with 3 rows of holes for 3 lube grooves (and less), spaced approx. .125 apart. The first row is about .750 from the top of the die. This configuration will cover maybe 80 or 90 per cent of bullets out there. I can still do custom spacing, on request.
Pricing for these "standard" dies is $26 for the Buckshot design, and $34 for the flanged style. This includes shipping. I will still make available a non-hardened version; subtract $4 from either die price if you want this. I can take Paypal or money orders, your choice.
I would like to take this opportunity to say a big "thank you" to all the guys on the boards here that have supported me and helped get this project going. Also, together we have made a nice financial contribution to the boards here, and I will continue doing this periodically in the future. There are many satisfied users of these dies to date.
Thanks again,
lathesmith

lathesmith
05-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Hi Tom, that's no problem, I can fix you up. Just send me a PM (private message) with what you would like, and we'll get the details worked out.

Thanks,
Chris

Bob J
05-27-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi Chris! Got the 8mm dies and as usual they are a work of art! Thanks again and much appreciated!

lathesmith
05-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks Bob, I thought those did turn out rather well! I forgot to mention,I tossed in an extra punch, so you could play around with them and see which one you liked the best. Thanks again, and enjoy!

lathesmith

mike in co
06-02-2010, 12:24 AM
why not make a top punch that had a punch length with a shoulder. the punch length would put the lube groove of the boolit at the holes in the sizing die ?

threaded section with an under cut as it closes in on the step, .5 long .7 od step, punch just under boolit dia and just long enough that when the step stops on the top of the sizer, the boolit lube groove is at the holes in the sizer ??

screw it up against the ram body, when the .5x.7od hits the sizer, the linkage is aligned to actuate the lube pump....

a unique punch per boolit design instead of adjusting a universal punch.

yes no maybe ???/

i'm gonna build one unless someone can say why not......

mike in co

Seth Hawkins
06-03-2010, 08:03 PM
I sent you a PM & email, Lathesmith. I got a Star sizer on order, and need dies.

grasshopper reloader
06-04-2010, 12:37 AM
I have been sizing 308 cast bullets to .299 for my 7.35 carcano for some time now. Lube and size to 308 and then push through tube that I taperd with taper drill.

lathesmith
06-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Mike, as long as you have the lathe there handy, you should be able make the punch as suggested, that will work with one or maybe more slugs with a similar base thickness.

Got it Seth, thanks, check your pms.

Grasshopper, as mentioned I can make any size you need, odd sizes are not a problem.

lathesmith

LAH
06-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Sure wish I'd found lathesmith before I bought..........Creeker

Dry Creek Bullet Works
Dry Creek Firewood

Seth Hawkins
07-04-2010, 06:00 PM
If the holes are lines up properly then the 3 regular holes work fine. If not then it can be hit and miss. I can lube this bullet with one pass, so I doubt anything you have holds more lube. It is all about getting them lined up properly for good flow, otherwise it is just squeaking in there instead of flowing easily.

Slim - which Big Lube bullet is that? I'm thinking of buying one of the Big Lube 45-70 moulds, and wonder if I'll need Lathesmith to make a custom die, or if a standard die will work.

scarry scarney
07-12-2010, 02:26 PM
Just a bump with good comments from a happy camper here. :drinks:

I got my sizer die from Lathesmith, very impressed with workmanship. Easy to deal with, and it was made to order. Job well done.

oldtoolsniper
07-13-2010, 10:34 AM
I just got another one and the workmanship is second to none. If you have ever tried your hand at a metal lathe you will wonder how he can do the work he does at the price he charges. Thanks again!

101VooDoo
07-14-2010, 04:53 PM
PM Sent -

Jim

Doby45
07-19-2010, 12:25 AM
I got mine, Chris. Excellent product and will be ordering more soon. Now if only my Star got here as quick as my dies. :)

lathesmith
07-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Jim, your stuff shipped Friday; Chris, yours will be on the way the first of the week. Thanks to all of you guys for making this the absolute BEST place to hang out on the web!

lathesmith

101VooDoo
07-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Got 'em Chris - they look great; lube ought to be here any day, can't wait to try them out.

Stupid question though, for a single lube band boolit, does it matter which set of holes are used. Bottom vs middle?

Plus, the eternal trap shooter question, 7 1/2 or 8's (fer pluggin the holes).

Thanks again,

Jim

Doby45
07-27-2010, 03:32 PM
I plug all mine but the TOP band of holes when I have a single lube groove. Has worked great so far on the 401 and 452 dies I got from Chris. I think the shell I cut open was a "standard" birdshot shell, so standard that I don't think it was marked on the shell, but maybe it was on the box. I doubt if you could go wrong with either of the sizes you mentioned.

101VooDoo
07-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks Doby45 - figured there was an obvious choice that I was missing.

Jim

lathesmith
07-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Hey guys, you are right on about the shot size and which holes to plug, just carefully plug/unplug those things as needed, and you should be speedily sizing great slugs in no time at all. Chris, you should be getting your .358 die in the next day or two, it's on the way.
Enjoy!

lathesmith

Doby45
07-28-2010, 04:17 PM
I appreciate it Chris, I can't thank you enough for the service you provide us.

rollmyown
08-15-2010, 02:19 AM
I've recieved my 2 beautifuly made dies. Work is second to none. Looking foreward to putting them to work. Well done and thanks Chris. Will definetly be getting some more in the not too distant future!

Regards - Rob

GLL
08-16-2010, 09:36 PM
Just ordered four more dies + goodies ! Good stuff ! :) :)

Jerry

pinshooter1
08-25-2010, 01:20 PM
I would like to order a die and a punch, but, I am not sure what to the order. Is there a phone # where you can be reached? I also would like to talk to someone regarding getting the machine to function smoothly. Can't seem to get the lube down into the bottom chamber. Any help will be appreciated. Bill

GLL
08-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Chris:

The four dies arrived today in good order ! They look great as usual ! :)

Thank you for the super-fast service !

Jerry

lathesmith
08-25-2010, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the note Chris, Rob, and Jerry, glad everything has arrived safely once again! Pinshooter, check your private messages, I'll let you know how to contact me by other means if you like.

lathesmith

Creekrider
09-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Chris, sent you a PM

hedgehog
09-09-2010, 08:19 PM
im interested in a few dies but im not sure what style i need. I just bought a new star/magma sizer from magma. do i need :

"standard" dies is $26 for the Buckshot design, and $34 for the flanged style"

im after a .430 and a .452 sizer. i think my top punch should work for both cals.

hedgehog
09-09-2010, 08:20 PM
does buckshot design refer to the way the extra lube holes are blocked?

Doby45
09-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Nope, the "Buckshot" design means the die is stopped from being pushed through the sizer by a snap ring, instead of a solid flange. All the dies I have gotten from Chris have been the "Buckshot" design and they work great.

hedgehog
09-09-2010, 11:47 PM
ah so there a little cheaper to manufacture , but work just as well. sounds good.

Doby45
09-10-2010, 12:00 AM
Exactly, if you made a traditional "flange" style you would have to start out with a larger diameter blank. BUt with a snap ring you can use a small diameter blank and you have less to machine off.

cheese1566
09-10-2010, 08:21 AM
I bought the flanged style from him and they are great! I considered the Buckshot design when ordering.

Are the Buckshot style easier to remove? (Can you remove the snap ring and then push it straight through?)

Doby45
09-10-2010, 03:30 PM
I reckon you "could" remove the ring and push on through, but I have had zero issue swapping mine out in my star. I can change to a different size with in a minute or two.

lathesmith
09-11-2010, 12:00 AM
I reckon a little clarification is in order here guys. Your comments are generally pretty close to the mark...but I would like to add a few things. I have had a few field reports of guys popping the C-clip off of these dies, when they have to apply a lot of force to size a slug, as in a large and/or very hard slug. For this reason, I don't like to recommend these to beginning Star users, or for slugs much larger than, say, .401 diameter.
However, I don't like to tell more experienced users what they can and can't do with their machines; I like for each man (or woman) to determine that for themselves. But if you need to ask, then you are probably better off sticking with the flanged style 'till you feel confident that you know more about what you can and cannot do with the Star.

I always say, it's great to have choices, and that's why I still offer the two styles of dies.

lathesmith

Creekrider
09-11-2010, 11:21 AM
Chris

Well I went to the mailbox today expecting bills as usual but there was a nice surprise there today. Die looks very nice now just waiting on the Star to arrive. Will probably be getting more after I play around with the first die.

Thanks again

Creekrider

Creekrider
09-11-2010, 11:31 AM
I do not believe my luck. The postal truck came back a half hour later and had a box I had to sign for and on the outside it said Magma Engineering. Hmm, what could that be? I know what I am doing this weekend.

captaint
09-11-2010, 04:54 PM
I just used my first new Lathesmith die last night. Got the flanged design. Worked very well. Had no die problems at all. Very nice. Great work. I'm happy. I'll buy more. enjoy Mike

lathesmith
09-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the report Mike, sounds like you are now getting some "quality time" with your Star!

Creekrider, it must be your lucky day! Thank goodness it does happen occasionally...

lathesmith

Creekrider
09-11-2010, 08:12 PM
I ran about 500 rnds of 45 through the die and punch. Very happy and will be ordering some more soon.

Thanks lathesmith

Roundnoser
09-13-2010, 11:25 PM
My .452" flange die arrived in the mail today, and my new Magma heater base was waiting for me on the back porch! I was gigglin' like a kid on Christmas morning! -- The die is really nice quality. I cranked out approx. 1 K boolits in a snap. Thanks for making these dies, and selling them for a really fair price. I WILL be returning with my business...more dies and a roller handle! Thanks!!!

ION507
09-20-2010, 08:10 AM
G'day lathesmith,

I've been a long time RCBS lube-sizer user but I'm about to get myself a Star. I reckon I could use 3 of your flanged dies (.356, .357, .358 @$34 ea), 3 punches for a .356 die @ $9 ea and 4 of the tapped locknuts @$7 ea. The prices on page 1 of this thread are a few years old now but include US shipping. I'm in Australia. What price to ship this order to me?

Cheers,

lathesmith
09-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi Ion, welcome to the boards here. Yes, I can definitely fix you up with Star dies, although the prices have changed. I can't edit that first post, so that's why they are out of date. Anyway, I'll send you a PM(private message) about pricing and shipping details, and we'll get that squared away.
Again, welcome to the forums here, it's a great place to hang out.

lathesmith

Byron Cromwell
09-22-2010, 07:06 AM
Lathesmith:
I have a star tool with its original .358 die in place assembled at least seventy years ago. I purchased some original star dies over ten years ago and I want to swap them out. If I understand the discussion correctly, I am able to simply tap current die out from the underside through the top with a rubber mallet and a length of dowell rod to change calibers. Is that correct? this is an unmodified STAR lubrisizer with STAR manufactured dies.
If Lathesmith is unavailable, I'll take instruction from any other STAR user, or PM me.

Thanks,

Byron

cheese1566
09-22-2010, 08:54 AM
I would think so,
here is a link to the Magma Star directions.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf

lathesmith
09-22-2010, 09:38 AM
Hi Byron, yes, that is correct. Two things I might add that would be helpful: 1) On the older machines such as yours, be SURE the small setscrew on the side of the die chamber is loosened, otherwise you WILL damage your machine as you fruitlessly beat on the die trying to get it out! and 2) Applying a little heat, from a hairdryer or heat gun or whatever, will help make die removal somewhat easier.

lathesmith

Byron Cromwell
09-23-2010, 07:00 AM
Lathesmith:
Thanks for the advice about the setscrew. I would not have thought to look for one. Now another question. I am going to lube .30 caliber RCBS 180 grain flatnose for .30-30. They use a gas check, too. Any advice on dealing with a boolit that long? will the sizer seat the gas check?

Thanks.

Doby45
09-23-2010, 02:17 PM
It will do them. Put the boolit in nose first. Put a GC on the butt of it and pull the handle down to squish it through.

lathesmith
09-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Byron, like Doby suggested, they usually work fine sizing them nose-first. There are several guys on-site here that use the Star for all kinds of gas-checked bullets; I don't really have much experience with them, but if handled properly the Star machine will handle them fine.

I can tell you that many guys prefer using a dished punch with checks, especially rifle ones. They feel it seats the check better, and gives more consistent results. I would be inclined to agree with this.

lathesmith

LAH
09-24-2010, 11:27 AM
You can also use some flat metal, placing over the die, position the bullet base down on gas check, pull the handle allowing the punch to push against the nose of the bullet appling pressure to the base seating the gas check. They were then sized base first. I used this proceedure on customers bullets as they looked better.

For personal use I seat & size like Doby..................Creeker

BAR Guy
11-16-2010, 05:15 PM
How do I get in touch with you?
I can't find a web site.
Can't find a Telephone number.

John D
11-16-2010, 07:15 PM
How do I get in touch with you?
I can't find a web site.
Can't find a Telephone number.

Send him a PM..

lathesmith
11-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Thanks John, it's as simple as that...

BAR Guy, please check your Private Messages...

lathesmith

Tmaloy
11-17-2010, 04:58 AM
Chris,

Just got my .358 Star Die and top punches with lock nuts. They are so well made I don't even think I want to use them. Great work man a real pleasure to deal with. The best part is I'm from Guam, and from the day I sent you the payment till today when I opened my mailbox was a 5 day turnaround. It normally takes 10-14 days for something to get here. I think I may have to order more dies because I might need another set just to make them all match. If I'm ever around your state Chris we're gonna throw back a few!:drinks:

Pieter C. Voss
12-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Lathesmith--please, a phone no. or e-mail address. Thanks, Pete

lathesmith
12-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi Pete,
My email is redgreenATcooldude.com, with the usual substitution of "@" for the AT. You can also send me a private message, if you like.

Thanks for the kind words Troy, if you ever get to MO let me know I'd be happy to have you stop by. I can't always get 'em out that fast, but I do try and keep things moving along.
Also, thanks for the work,threads and videos on pressurizing the lube resovoir of the Star on the cheap, very useful and very nice! If I ever get a little caught up around here I would like to try and make some of those modified 5/8- 18 bolts available.

lathesmith

Tmaloy
12-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Chris,

Still have a few projects on the list to do, primarily an extension tube for the Star, pressurizing the Lyman luber, gotta keep the mind rolling before I lose them all. BTW, I was in Ft. Leonard Wood a long time ago, and if I ever get back there I will definitely look you up.

Troy

KennethF
12-12-2010, 02:16 AM
Chris. I plug my un-needed Star die lube holes with # 5 or 6 shot. I position the shot over the hole to be plugged and with a flat 1/4" punch and hammer, I carfully peen the shot into the hole and mushroom the excess around the hole. The shot must be beened to just below the raised ends of the die. When I want to remove or move the plugs, I lift them out of the lube holes easily with my thumb nail. They can be re-installed over and over again. No drilling to remove them. Let me know how this works for you.

Ken.

lathesmith
12-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Hi Ken,
My method is similar to yours, at the most a dental pick is all it takes to remove the lead blocking the hole, as it lifts out easily.

lathesmith

CiDirkona
12-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Got my handle and tool today. Thanks! :D

lathesmith
12-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Hey Guys,
I am currently having trouble with my internet connection, as AT&T has a service outage and I cannot get on the internet at home. This started last Wednesday, and they won't even try to fix their equipment until Sunday. So, if my replys are a little slow until then, that's the reason...totally out of my hands, I just hope they can get it fixed soon.

Thanks for your understanding,
lathesmith

DistRifle
01-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Lathesmith,

I got my die today. Very nice work. I'll be ordering more later.

Thanks!

lathesmith
01-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Lathesmith,

I got my die today. Very nice work. I'll be ordering more later.

Thanks

Great! I appreciate the feedback, and I'm glad I can actually read it since we finally got our internet service working like it should again. Yeehaw!

lathesmith

friendswoodbullet.com
01-10-2011, 11:20 AM
I need a star die for a Lube Master sized .401 with 4 holes on 1 row only. if you can do this please PM me. Will be looking for .430 as well

lathesmith
01-11-2011, 12:14 AM
friends,
That arrangement is not a problem, PM sent.

Thanks,
lathesmith

Dave Bob
01-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Got the roller handle, 2 dies and the .45 top punch and locknut....first rate thanks!!

Dave

songdog53
01-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Chris, Want to thank you for making me dies for my Star and let you know work great and will get all my business. Great Work , Thank you Sir.
Michael

GrumpyFinn
02-09-2011, 05:54 PM
Got my dies today, thanks,

they look great and that's the only thing I can do right now, look at them. I ordered a star few day before I ordered the dies and I can't wait to get the dang thing, I have about 2000 boolits ready to go.

cbunt1
02-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Chris,

I got my dies, punches, and roller handle on Monday, I just haven't had time to jump online and thank you!

These dies are very well made, the top punches are a perfect fit--the set screws make changeover a breeze, and the roller handle makes the machine much easier to use!

Another satisfied customer...Although all my dies are Lathesmith dies, I just can't see any good reason to go with anything else...they're a smooth fit for the machine, and when you look at these parts, there's no question they were done by a CRAFTSMAN!

miestro_jerry
02-27-2011, 08:24 PM
I had Chris make up some Star dies for me a couple of years ago. He does great work. None of my dies have shown any signs of wear and perform extremely well.

Chris is a master at his craft.

Jerry

Swede44mag
03-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Lathesmith I got my die, nut with setscrew & dished punch in the mail yesterday.
Now I will have to cast some more 45-70 bollits to try it out this weekend.

When I get the funds I will have you make some more dies.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cast some boolits last weekend, setup the NEW Star die.
It works great I had Lathesmith make it to .460.
Nice to have a sizing die that only does minimal sizing.

Daddyfixit
03-16-2011, 01:19 AM
I got the roller handle for my old Star...man should have done that long ago!
Thanks Lathesmith

tchepone
04-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Hello all,
I wanted to post this thread to show and discuss the two types of Star dies that I have been making for the guys here. First, there is the "factory" flanged-style, by far the most popular, and I can also make the c-clip style on request. All of my dies are made from tool steel, I won't use anything less. These are typically hardened to 50+ Rockwell, and are quite wear- and abrasion- resistant, and make a nice long-lasting die.
I am going to start offering what I call the "standard" die configuration. This is a hardened die, with 3 rows of holes for 3 lube grooves (and less), spaced approx. .125 apart. The first row is about .750 from the top of the die. This configuration will cover maybe 80 or 90 per cent of bullets out there. I can still do custom spacing, on request. Remember, you can always plug unneeded holes with 7 1/2 shot, this is easy to do, and this can always be (carefully) removed later if you need the extra row.
Pricing for these "standard" dies is $37 for the flanged style, and $33 for the C-clip design. This includes shipping. I will still make available a non-hardened version; subtract $4 from either die price if you want this. I can take Paypal or money orders, your choice.
Of course, I also offer punches for the Star; these run $13 each for the flat punch, and $15 each for the dished style that is popular with gas checks. I don't recommend using a dished punch with plain-base bullets, as you can get an unacceptable amount of base distortion.
Plain punch nuts run $4, punch nuts with setscrews are $7, and the roller "L" handle is $26 shipped. I can also make you a die removal tool if your sizer is missing this, they run $19 each.
Thanks again,
lathesmith

How do I order from you? I need a .314 die for my 327 Federal Magnum, using 115gr bullets. What's the turn around time? What forms of payment do you accept? If payment is by money order please reply to my email address with your snail mail address. I do not use Paypal. Thanks....tchepone

lathesmith
04-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Hello, ordering is easy, just send me a Private Message or email, and let me know what you want. Check or money order is fine for payment, and other arrangements can be made as needed. Normally it takes about 7-10 days from when I receive your payment to when your dies and things ship.

Thanks,
lathesmith

tackstrp
04-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Quote from lathesmith "I don't recommend using a dished punch with plain-base bullets, as you can get an unacceptable amount of base distortion. "

Just read this, after I have received all three of my latesmith dies with dished punches. I dont recall seeing any distortion on base of bullets all my cast bullets are at 14 bhn or up per my Cabinetree hardness tester.

Question will it be worth while to trade and buy new flat base punches??

lathesmith
04-25-2011, 09:04 PM
tackstrp, my philosophy when it comes to the Star is simple: if it ain't broke, don't fix it, or in this case, if what you are using works for you, there's no need to change it. Distortion can be a problem with softer slugs, and/or those that require a lot of effort to size down. Like I said, if the setup you are using works for you, keep using it.

lathesmith

tackstrp
04-26-2011, 12:28 AM
changed dies according to the instructions using the die removal tools provided with my magna star sizer . Simple and easire to do than stuggling to use a wood dowel to push out from the bottom.

Been thinking using the set screw "nuts" on the punch allows changing dies and still have the orginal setting. I have an extra new unopend magna star sizer stored in a box. The only reason is can see keeping is to keep my wife from seeing the cash in my wallet. For some reason I thought I needed. So simple to change sizer dies that was a dumb reason to buy. Only plan on using Carnauba Red.

tackstrp
04-26-2011, 12:41 AM
to continue my last post. I ran across this sample of how to set up air clyinder for an Arbor press. I happen to have that exact arbor press, the handle is turned backwards. Been looking and reading, seems that some one could put together a kit to automate the star sizer or other kinds of presses with a handle. Clippard will send sample products to OEM should you want to try building a kit. Would need a air clyinder, foot air valve, a air controller for the return stroke on a double aciton clyinder. a few fittings and a air mainfold. if you have the Air feed. I have been using weights, a pully and leverage to make a foot operation for my sizer . Push with my foot to pull handle down, then the weight on a pully brings the lever back to the up posistion.

Only problem is the height of foot pedal is so high it is unconfortable for me. Will keep working on the problem. I think i can replace the return weight and pully with a door closer thing a bob. need to work on the project over nest week or so . will try to post a picture or pictures of what i have so far. Think i spent maybe $10 on parts. rest is scrap laying around.

I am trying to find out the exact model for the Air Clyinder, Looks like a 10 or 12 incl stroke with a Double action clyinder.

http://www.clippard.com/downloads/general/PDF_Documents/Application%20Ideas/Clippard%20Arbor%20Press%20Application.pdf

Doby45
04-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Got the .431 Chris. Great job as always!!!!! ;)

lathesmith
04-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks Chris, glad to hear your dies have arrived!

L Ross
04-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Lathesmith, I ordered dies from you and I feel they are superior to any others I have. I'm going to sell off my Star and Stiwell dies, inventory what I really need and order all new ones from you. I commend your excellent workmanship, thank you.

Duke

lathesmith
04-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Duke, thanks for your confidence and kind words, I appreciate it. I wouldn't be able to do what I do if it weren't for all the great guys that hang out here on this site that help make this the best place in the whole internet. The collective wisdom and experience here is really amazing, it's really great to be able to learn from some of the best!

lathesmith

tackstrp
05-10-2011, 03:25 PM
thanks for the email that my custom threaded rod/handle is on the way. Will finalize my plans after it arrives.

tackstrp
05-18-2011, 11:24 AM
parts on order to do the project. should be here few days. Looking forward to getting all my stuff set up in tool shed. got kicked out of the garage.

Salmon-boy
09-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Lathesmith,
Got the dies I ordered and started sizing last weekend. The .357 is perfect! Can I trade my .356 for a .358?

Last thing.. What can I do about the big honkin' blister I've got now!!! :kidding:

Lead Head
09-07-2011, 07:40 PM
..................... Last thing.. What can I do about the big honkin' blister I've got now!!! :kidding:

Have you tried the roller handles from Magma? They make a world of difference.....

lathesmith
09-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks Chuck, I also make a roller L-handle for the Star, one of these may help with the blisters; they run $26 shipped. PM me about your die, we'll see what we can work out.

lathesmith

Powellcole5490
10-28-2011, 10:53 PM
Lathsmith,

It seems there are a TON of very satisfied customers of yours. What makes you dies so special? I just ordered a star and so I know little to nothing about them. I am curious about your bullet punches, and your die extractor tool as well as your dies. Thank you.

lathesmith
10-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Hi Powell,
I guess you just stated what makes my dies so special--"a TON of very satisfied customers." I try and make sure that you get what you are looking for, and don't mind working with you to help you get your dies and punches set up the way you want. When it comes to dies and things for your Star, I'm not happy until you are, it's as simple as that. I think shooters are some of the best people in the world, and I want to do what I can to help ensure future generations can also enjoy our shooting sports. I know I can't do much by myself, but I do what I can, and I very much enjoy being a part of this great website.

And, of course, if you need some stuff for your Star, let me know, I'd be happy to make your dies, punches, and whatever else you need that I can make!

Sincerely,
lathesmith

Powellcole5490
10-31-2011, 10:41 PM
Lathsmith,

Fair enough. Happy customers means great customer service. And customer service seems to be lost in today's world. I do have a question. I'm going to cast some 358156 boolits. Do you have a set sizer die for this? I am also interested in a .45 ACP boolits, but I'm not sure too much about them except I want a sizer die for .452. I'm am gas checking the .357's and so I would like a punch for it as well as a punch for the .45's. Not to mention a die puller. While my Star is on backorder, I can only sit here and think about all the possibilities. I look forward to figuring out what EXACTLY I need/want and when I do, I will contact you. Thank you

lathesmith
11-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Hi Powell,
Yes, I can make you a die that will work with the 358156, and most any other single-groove slug. In fact, many Star users prefer this, as they don't have any other molds in their inventory, and it makes for a very simple and easy-to-use setup. It's also possible to order a die with the "standard" lube row arrangement of 3 rows of holes spaced .125 or so apart; this allows you to set up your die for different slugs and punch lengths, as you just plug the unneeded rows of holes with shot. Of course, if you do switch between slugs with differing lube groove arrangements, you may have to plug/unplug various rows. This can get tiresome, so plenty of guys like to have more than one die per caliber simply to speed things up when it comes to switching between slugs.
Generally, many guys prefer to use a dished punch for gas checks, these seem to give better overall results. Also, these punches are fitted to within about .008 or so of die diameter, as using a smaller punch than this with gas checks usually don't work very well.

The punch nuts with setscrews are preferred by many users as a "set it and forget it" approach, they only use 1 or a few molds with their die/punch combos and this makes for very fast caliber changes.

The roller L-handle is preferred by those whow size a large number of bullets at once. If you only do at most a few hundred slugs at a sitting, you probably won't really see much difference here.

Your new Star should come with a die puller, so you should be good to go there.

Sincerely,

lathesmith

cheese1566
11-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Best thing about his dies compared to magma's is the numbers on top. My magma die looks like my 6 year old did it with a hand engraver.

lathesmith's uses steel number stamps to mark them, very nice and easy to read.

MikeS
11-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Lathesmith:

I just sent you a PM about getting a .452 die and a top punch, etc.

lathesmith
11-10-2011, 12:20 AM
Thanks Mike, I'll be getting your stuff made up here in another few days.

lathesmith

Powellcole5490
11-28-2011, 02:50 PM
Lathesmith,

I just sent you a PM for a punch. Thank you.

lathesmith
11-28-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks Powell, PM now replied to.

lathesmith

barodi
12-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Hi Lathesmith
Thank you for exelent service,i have received Sizer,6 punches and 9 lock nuts,top quality.
Thanks again
Barodi

tudor8055
12-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Lathsmith
I received my order today. Everything works great so far. On the .430 standard die I blocked the bottom holes and adjusted the punch to work with the Lyman 429244 255gr SWC GC with two lube grooves and the Lyman 429244 240gr bore riding FN no GC with single lube groove. On the 429667 the bottom bearing ring blocks the top holes on the die. I can alternate back and forth without making any adjustments.
Both boolits size right to .430, no lube leaks.
Ihave pushed the .358 die in & out of the machine and sized one boolit, right at .358.
This is a San Diego machine and the dies are tight.
Thanks
tudor8055

bryonbush
12-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Pm inbound

rainierrifleco
01-07-2012, 03:28 PM
i just picked up an old star lube sizer. i understand dies are no longer available for them. is this what you are making dies for. if so i need 44cal and 45

scb
01-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I'm having a hard time finding a Saeco die I need. Any chance you might expand your product line?
Thanks.

lathesmith
01-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Hi rain,
Yes, I make dies for the Star lubesizer. If you aren't sure what kind of sizer you have, just look around the forums here, there's all kinds of pics of Star sizers. Many of us are kinda fanatical about our love of these things!

scb, I have made Saeco dies in the past, and I can make you one now if you wish. These are a bit higher than the Stars, but they aren't a problem to make. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,
lathesmith

rainierrifleco
01-08-2012, 08:02 PM
if i get you a picture can you go off that??

skeettx
01-08-2012, 08:15 PM
What diameter SAECO die do you need?
Mike

rainierrifleco
01-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Here are pictures of the .357 die that came out of the lube sizer.

http://s1179.photobucket.com/albums/x394/tjerica1201/Star%20Lube%20Sizer%20Die/

lathesmith
01-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Rain, yes, that's a Star die all right, let me know what you need and I can make you any size you want, from about .223 up to around .515 or so.

Thanks,
lathesmith

rainierrifleco
01-12-2012, 12:53 AM
i am kinda new to this casting thing so you tell me i will cast 200 gr for 45 auto 240 gr keith bullets for 44 mag i have sized both of these in a lee sizer die and tumble lubed them and they shoot ok. how/where do you want payment? thanks

lathesmith
01-12-2012, 08:54 PM
Rain, check your Private Messages, I sent you a note with the info you need.

Thanks,
lathesmith

engineer401
01-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Chris:

I received the dies earlier this week. The machining is well done. Thank you.

G__Fred
01-20-2012, 07:17 PM
Chris, rec'ed my .3565, THANKS!!!

dogtired
02-14-2012, 12:08 AM
LatheSmith,

My order came today, 3 dies and 2 punches. The post office must have really hustled! From sending the M.O. until receiving the dies ... 7 days. Did you get any sleep? Thank you.

lathesmith
02-15-2012, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the notes guys; Paul, I can't always get 'em out that fast, but I do try to keep things moving!

lathesmith

rbertalotto
02-17-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm buying a Star sizer and the folks on this forum all recommend i get the dies and punches from you.

I'm using Big Lube 45SLIM bullets along with a couple of LEE 200 and 255 grain molds. All .452" Diameter.

LEE #90697 452-200RF
LEE #90349 452-255RF

And I have a LEE die for 300g, .452 with Gas Checks for my rifles.

LEE #90350 452-300RF

What am I going to need to order?

Do you accept PayPal?

Thanks!

VHoward
02-17-2012, 11:10 PM
The star sizer does come with one punch. It is about .350" in diameter. You might get away with using that punch. You can also order one with your die. What are you loading for and have you slugged the barrel?

Lathesmith makes great dies for less than Magma sells them for. He also makes a roller handle for the star sizer. Those are $26 shipped. Can you tell I'm a satisfied customer?

lathesmith
02-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Roy, check your PM's, I've got you covered. VHoward, thanks for the kind words, helping each other with the "sacred silver stream" is what this place is all about! BTW, your roller handle will be going out in Monday's mail.

lathesmith

VHoward
02-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Awesome!

rbertalotto
02-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Lathesmith,

I sent you a PM...........THANKS!

shotgun sherry
02-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Lathesmith,
I sent you a PM on ordering a die, punch & locking nut for a 348 winchester.

Thanks

Sherry P

lathesmith
02-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks Sherry, I'll get you fixed up for sizing your 348 with your Star.

lathesmith

Rockchucker
02-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Just received my .452 die, top punch and lock nut, Thanks for the fast shipping and great workmanship Chris. Let me get over the shock of this new lube/sizer and I'll place another order for a .430 and top punch, thanks again.

Ron

BRobertson
02-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Just mailed order for dies and assec.

thanks

Bob

lathesmith
02-24-2012, 10:31 PM
That's great Ron, it sounds like you are well on your way there, thanks for the kind words and your order.
I'll keep a look out for your order Bob, thanks.

lathesmith

joeatact
03-04-2012, 04:02 PM
I would like to order die and punch for the LEE 2 Cavity 401-175-TC (90256)

joe
joe@joespens.com

lathesmith
03-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Hi Joe, check your PM's, I also sent you an email.

lathesmith

.30/30 Guy
03-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Chris made me some dies for my Meepos.

Outstanding dies and outstanding service!!!

buffdriver
03-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Chris, received my .3565 today. You, sir, are a fine craftsman!

Many thanks!

BuffDriver

JerseyJD
03-15-2012, 05:46 PM
PM sent regarding a new order.

All the best,
JerseyJD

GLL
03-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Chris:

The 0.430", 0.359", and punches arrived in good order ! VERY "pretty" ! :) Thank you again !

Jerry

Cmemiss
03-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Chris,
Got the .452 die I ordered last week yesterday. It looks nice and I tested it with a cast I have waiting for the Star to arrive. Seems to do what it should do. I would recommend your dies to anyone needing a Star die.

Thanks.

bbqncigars
03-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Chris:
I just PM'ed an order for a 4-row die, punch, and nut. Now I got to cast some of those monsters up so I've got something to run through the die when it gets here.

lathesmith
03-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Wayne, check your PMs, I've got you covered.

lathesmith

clocker
03-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Just got a pair of dies and punches from Lathesmith. Great quality, price, shipping and communication. Awesome work Chris!

ReloaderFred
03-29-2012, 11:56 PM
Chris,

I received my two Star sizing dies yesterday and they're great! Thank you for the super quick service and outstanding quality.

Fred

Rockchucker
03-30-2012, 08:27 AM
Dies arrived yesterday, thanks Chris. Great workmanship as always / Ron.

Dutch4122
03-30-2012, 01:54 PM
Chris-

I'm sending an order to you for 3 Star Sizer flanged type dies in todays mail. Specs are listed out on my letter that is included with the payment.

Thanks, :grin:

Charles2506
04-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Thanks Chris
Got my die, punch and locking nut in the mail today looks awesome now I am waiting for the star to be here be another week or two to put the die to use with some BAC from lars should be a good combo.

mack1
04-07-2012, 02:28 PM
With craftsman like Chris turning out sizers of the quality and price of these I do not see how Big green or lyman sell there junk. Thanks for the fine dies.

miestro_jerry
04-07-2012, 09:02 PM
I have been buying dies from Chris for a while and they always are number one quality. I recently bought the Star Luber handle that Chris makes and it is an outstanding help for me. Shortly, I am buying another sizer and will continue to buy dies from Chris.

He does an excellent job.

Jerry

Rockchucker
04-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Received my flat punches today Chris, thanks for the fast service, / Ron

sffar
04-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Kudos for Chris' fine work and quick shipping.
I'll be back . .
Sam

reddoggm
04-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Is what Chris is got 2 dies made a punch one of my older dies opened up and some punch nuts /w setscrews and gotta say the Quality of all Chris,s work is Flawless really like the way he puts the die size on the top 5 stars to ya Chris I,ll be buying all my sizer toys from ya
Thanks Again The DOGG!!!

PhatForrest
05-14-2012, 12:25 AM
Another +1 for Lathesmith, he made me a great .358 die.

loiner1965
05-24-2012, 01:54 AM
pm sent ls

lathesmith
05-24-2012, 08:14 PM
loiner, pm replied to.

Thanks a ton for the comments guys, it's really a pleasure making dies and things for ya'll!:drinks:

lathesmith

GLL
05-24-2012, 09:42 PM
I have a very serious problem with Chris' dies !!!

They are so beautifully crafted AND so very reasonable I want several more. The "problem" is I do not have any money left this month ! :(

They may be the very best items available on this Forum ! :) :) !

Jerry

LAH
05-25-2012, 05:33 AM
I have a very serious problem with Chris' dies !!!

They are so beautifully crafted AND so very reasonable I want several more. The "problem" is I do not have any money left this month ! :(

They may be the very best items available on this Forum ! :) :) !

Jerry

They be good for sure.

gbrown
06-06-2012, 07:55 PM
I ordered a die and punch for .358 about a week ago, got it today, and set it up. It is a beautiful piece of work and after I filled unwanted lube holes and used it, it performed fantastically! All I can say, for the price, the value is fantastic! Thank you, Lathesmith, for your fantastic work!

Ironwood
06-15-2012, 07:39 PM
As a new and learning boolit caster I wasn't sure what size die/punch configuration I was needing. I traded emails with Lathesmith and he was very helpful in answering my questions. I have done a couple of transactions in this last month. I am very satisfied with the true craftsmanship and all round ease of ordering. In fact I went to the mail box yesterday and my package was waiting. I wasn't expecting it for at least a couple of more days.

Thank Again Lathesmith...........I'll be back!

Ironwood

HDS
06-20-2012, 05:50 AM
Just got my star sizer last night and finally got a chance to use the dies I bought from lathesmith and what can I say, it all works beatifully. I went through most of the .45s I had on hand at home in 20 minutes.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2mnepg5.jpg

Using homemade felix lube, just melted it and poured it into the sizer, meant to make it blue but but the lube was yellow-reddish on its own so it turned out green instead, still it works so who cares?
http://i46.tinypic.com/5oefe0.jpg

lathesmith
06-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the comments and kind words guys, it's a pleasure to make die for y'all! HDS, that's a beautiful setup, and some good-looking slugs you have cast and sized up there!

lathesmith

LAH
06-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Just got my star sizer last night and finally got a chance to use the dies I bought from lathesmith and what can I say, it all works beatifully. I went through most of the .45s I had on hand at home in 20 minutes.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2mnepg5.jpg

Using homemade felix lube, just melted it and poured it into the sizer, meant to make it blue but but the lube was yellow-reddish on its own so it turned out green instead, still it works so who cares?
http://i46.tinypic.com/5oefe0.jpg

I like that GREEN.

John J
07-25-2012, 05:41 PM
Lathesmith you have a PM

lathesmith
07-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks John, PM replied to.

lathesmith

tonyjones
07-27-2012, 03:58 PM
PM sent.

Tony

lathesmith
07-28-2012, 09:26 AM
PM replied to, thanks Tony.

lathesmith

baker1425
09-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Small order, but thanks!

lathesmith
09-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Hi Baker, PM replied to, thanks.

lathesmith

Hallzy
09-14-2012, 07:53 AM
PM sent.

Cheers

Andrew

lathesmith
09-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks Andrew, PM replied to. And thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it!

lathesmith

jhansenjr
10-12-2012, 12:42 AM
Hi, new to the group and back to casting after 20 years. I have two stars, one hollywood and the other Magma. Do they both use the same type non e-clip dies? Could you please email or pm me a current price list? From the reviews I've read I'll be doing business with you!

Thanks

lathesmith
10-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Hi jhansen, PM sent.

Thanks,
lathesmith

shooterg
10-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Got my first (not my last !) die and punch set for my "new" old Star today from Chris. They're so pretty I might wait until Christmas and hang 'em on the tree.

wbwilly
11-21-2012, 09:23 PM
I received my Star-magma and Dies from Lasersmith this week. I'm quite happy with the results.

http://bpcr1885.net/pics/star-magma3.jpg
http://bpcr1885.net/pics/star-magma4.jpg

Skullet
12-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Pm inbound

lathesmith
12-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Beautiful work willy! Skullet, message inbound, check your PM's. And thanks for all the kind compliments guys!

lathesmith

Skullet
12-06-2012, 12:19 PM
$$$ inbound looking forward to my early Christmas present

Thanks
Skullet

HATCH
12-24-2012, 09:54 AM
pm sent

lathesmith
12-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Hi Charles, PM replied to, thanks.

lathesmith

A pause for the COZ
12-27-2012, 12:53 AM
Received my .452 die and top punch today. Nice work.

MTGARY
12-30-2012, 08:02 PM
Hello --- I'm new to this site & would like to know how to contact you in order to purchase dies, punches etc for my recent purchase of a used Phelps sizer. I cast for 44, 45 & 50

lathesmith
12-31-2012, 09:40 PM
Hi Gary, you can contact me by sending a private message, I'll send you one now and hopefully you will be able to reply.

Thanks,
lathesmith

gbrown
01-15-2013, 07:20 PM
Got a new die and punch from Lathesmith. Wasn't the first nor will it be the last. Is it a nice looking tool or a beautiful piece of art? Not sure. Thank you for the fine work, sir. Gets a little warmer, I'll be using it.

VHoward
01-15-2013, 08:43 PM
PM sent.

lathesmith
01-17-2013, 12:05 AM
VHoward, PM replied to. gbrown, I see we think a lot alike-- I believe a piece of steel can indeed become a work of fine art when the right tools are applied to it in the right way!

lathesmith

VHoward
01-17-2013, 01:13 AM
I will be ordering a 2 piece punch on Thursday. Thanks, Vance

A pause for the COZ
01-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Received my .358 die yesterday. Thanks it looks very nice.

Creekrider
01-27-2013, 12:41 AM
PM sent on another die

lathesmith
01-28-2013, 03:44 PM
PM answered Creekrider, thanks.

lathesmith

wdr2
01-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Received my 0.313 and 0.358 dies and punches this week. Nice work!