PDA

View Full Version : New Caster Pot Recommendations

Al_Bundy
10-06-2017, 01:37 AM
I just picked up a Lee 4-20 pot but now I'm shopping for something larger to smelt rangescrap and lead scrap. Do you guys think this will be sufficient for casual casting sessions or what do you recommend.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Cast-Iron-Fryer-with-Skimmer/1494075.uts?slotId=5#BVQAWidgetID

If there is anything i'm missing on this list please let me know:

ingot mold
bullet mold and sizer
heavy duty gloves
casting dipper to remove impurities
range scrap
thermometer
respirator/eyewear?
and bullet lube or powder coat depending on how the casted bullet fits in my chamber

Devon
10-06-2017, 06:42 AM
Build your own smelting pot. It is really not that difficult. I used an old propane tank that I picked up at a garage sale for a dollar. Remove the valve, turn it upside down and let it set for a few days before cutting on it.

gunarea
10-06-2017, 06:50 AM
Good morning Al
Welcome to the vortex. That deal is a very good package! It will serve well past your casual casting. You need a quality flux in quantity sufficient for your particular situation. Make a couple dry runs to see how you want things laid out. Several/many/lots of ingot moulds will have a huge impact on time consumption. More time=more fuel use. Distance from pot to mould, back and forth, up and down has consequences, especially for older backs. Close proximity will help with spill control and cut down on cow pie effect. The surface your moulds sit on will have a direct effect on cooling time. When bottom pour furnaces are involved, concern about how clean to get your new alloy is real, remember that too clean, does not exist. There are threads specifically on this endeavor with pictures, study them. We all do this, confidence comes with experience and you are on your way. Good skill to you.
Roy

daloper
10-06-2017, 06:57 AM
Make sure that you watch the weight. You might want to beef up the stand so that it will support the pot full of lead. That will be a lot of weight.

daloper
10-06-2017, 06:59 AM
Devon, what did you make your valve out of. Looking at building another pot.

Devon
10-06-2017, 07:51 AM
Devon, what did you make your valve out of. Looking at building another pot.

I bought it from a member here. BigBlack - Details are in this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?49483-Valves-for-smelting-operations