PDA

View Full Version : Pitzer Sizer and Luber

roysha
10-05-2017, 06:01 PM
I don't know if this qualifies as "vintage" but since it was made quite a while back and is no longer made, I thought it might fit in.

When I first became aware of the Pitzer tool it was being distributed by Brownells sometime in the 80s, perhaps before and after, but I really don't know for sure. At the time I could not afford one and when I finally could, they were no longer available. It seems the tool was made by a very small company and when the originator died, pretty much so did the business.

Anyway, after years of posting on various forums an average of twice a year, I finally found one that was virtually new. No box but had never had lube in it. The set of dies that came with it are 7mm which are totally useless to me except for having them as a pattern to make the calibers I want.

It is no better or worse than a Star except for the rather complicated die. However, there might be a slight edge on speed since the bullet is just dropped into the "trough" and then sized and lubed. Obviously, it functions horizontally rather than vertically like a Star.

It's an interesting tool from an interesting time in the gun world.

The photos show the tool with die and nose punch and the dies separately out of the tool. The black rings on the die are O-rings to seal the lube chamber. There is also a nut to lock the die in place, which I took off and laid aside when I took the photos.

Bent Ramrod
10-06-2017, 12:35 PM
That is some sizing die, alright! Maybe you could make more conventional looking replacements and have someone 3-D print a plastic cradle to fit in the bed of the sizer. It’s too bad that Keith the Perfessor is MIA; making blanks for those dies would be a fun challenge for him.

I’ve seen a few mentions of Pitzer sizers here and there, but never seen one in person, and never heard before that the dies were so complex. They can’t have sold many of those machines.

roysha
10-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Actually, although they appear to be rather complex, except for threading the end for the retaining nut and milling off the top 1/2 of the front of the die, they are extremely similar to the Star die. With the exception for milling the "cradle" end, everything can be done in a single setup in the lathe.

As far as the milling goes, with a sharp hacksaw and good fine file, the "cradle can be done by hand. I don't have a mill so take a guess how I do it. There was a review of this tool in "Handloader" magazine many years ago but I can't find it. As I recall it was well rated. I know it is definitely well built like so many of the tools from small shops in that era.

LUBEDUDE
10-08-2017, 02:12 AM
That is such a cool lube sizer, I love it! Too bad that they are no longer in production.

Thanks for sharing!:)

3006guns
10-19-2017, 07:05 AM
I kinda like the idea of a horizontal lube machine......my fingers start to cramp after an hour of "placing" boolits on my Lachmiller. Wonder how it would work with gas checks?