PDA

View Full Version : odd question.

unclebill
08-09-2008, 08:06 AM
this may seem like a dumb question but here goes.
i have a covered porch with no walls.
it gets plenty cold @ 7000 feet in the winter in colorado.
can i cast bullets at 0 deg. f.?
i do not own this place and i am not going to build a shed.
thank you for your time once again.
bill

Bret4207
08-09-2008, 08:48 AM
Yup. I suggest a wind break of some sort, even a tarp will work. It'll take a bit of playing around to get comfortable. I've cast in my unheated garage at below zero. I make sure I have dry socks and stood on a floor mat. Feet get cold first on me.

unclebill
08-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Yup. I suggest a wind break of some sort, even a tarp will work. It'll take a bit of playing around to get comfortable. I've cast in my unheated garage at below zero. I make sure I have dry socks and stood on a floor mat. Feet get cold first on me.

oh,
i work outside year round.
i have full on arctic gear.
I am not going to get cold!
but i was wondering about cold moulds and how hard it would be to keep the furnace or whatever it is called up to the correct temp.
i have never laid eyes on this equipment except in photo's and i dont know a soul that casts .
come to think of it...
i have never seen anybody reload except myself.
if it wasnt for the internet i would have never done any of this stuff.
this computer gives me expensive ideas!

HeavyMetal
08-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Some things to consider when casting in cold enviroments:

where you keep your "feeder" lead! ingots, ww scrap or whatever if you leave it in the cold and then drop it in your lead pot you wil have an erruption! Set up a place near your lead pot to warm up the Feeder pile and you won't be peeling splashed lead off walls, or you.

Be aware that molds will cool way faster at these temps. and it will be harder on your pot to keep a working temp.

I will suggest you rig up a wind break as well. I would consider some stiff rolled plastic stapled around the pourch as well as a framed "wall" covered in the same stiff plastic to complete a small inclosed area, with a vent of course.

The idea is to provide enough room to cast and yet use your casting equipment to heat the area. Anybody thats used a Colmen lantern in a small tent has had the same experience your just going to do the same thing with your lead pot.

I heat my garage with one of those propane heaters that attaches to a Bar b que tank. Not sure if the altitude at your place would hinder one of those but at $40 or so from harbor freight that will heat your area once inclosed.

MT Gianni
08-09-2008, 11:50 AM
In addition to what has been said get out of the wind, stack the ingots on the sides of the pot unless you ladle cast, dip the corner of the mold into the melt to pre heat it and take frequent breaks.