PDA

View Full Version : Question on Brass Dimensions

Mr_Sheesh
10-04-2017, 05:56 PM
Once I get moved and set up, I plan to do some brass reforming, a problem I see over and over though is "How do I get all the dimensions of the original brass?" I suspect I can find a lot of that through SAAMI, is there a better handier source around for folks to use, though?

(For example, if I were to make a more cylinder-filling .44 Rem Mag shotshell specifically for a Ruger SBH, I'd need to look up the 44 Rem Mag cases' base diameter, find a case that has a suitable rim and base diameter (quite possibly have to swage it down to size etc.) etc. - And then work up load data carefully. Anything that would make for a LITTLE less "Scut-Work" would be nice, doesn't mean it exists though.

Thanks all!

Bent Ramrod
10-05-2017, 10:47 AM
A copy of Cartridges of the World ought to provide the info you want.

MostlyLeverGuns
10-05-2017, 11:27 AM
SAMMI specs can be viewed online and printed from there.

country gent
10-05-2017, 11:35 AM
A lot of reloading manuals give the needed dimensions also.

reddog81
10-07-2017, 06:21 PM
445 Super Mag is a longer higher pressure version of 44 Mag. I have no idea if it'll work for your purpose but appears to be what you are looking for.

sparkyv
10-07-2017, 06:45 PM
http://saami.org/specifications_and_information/index.cfm

Mr_Sheesh
10-08-2017, 01:55 AM
Thank you, all.

Reddog - Thanks, that one could work, I need to get MOVED darnit :)

Sparkyv - Yeppers, Thanks tho :) I'm an embedded systems / electronics type, I am pretty good at finding easy to find things, sometimes it's just in describing what I want to create FROM it that I find I am speaking Esperanto... Or maybe it's Martian. I just know I get a lot of confused looks :)

But then tonight I was at a hardware store, looking for a way to mount some recycled copper chunks off computer heat sinks onto handles for knapping (mostly obsidian but I like petrified wood too.), a way to mount a non leaky filler hole onto a home made methanol stove I want to prototype, using either a blind nut OR a chicago screw OR a truss head nut to act as the filling port, etc., maybe that's part of why :P (I like DIY projects, I find reloading to be meditative, and fun :))

dogmower
10-17-2017, 10:25 AM
buy two books on amazon - "cartridges of the world", and "book of cartridge conversions" (or something like that, by John Donnelly). both are invaluable resources.