PDA

View Full Version : I was asked this Question!

DCP
10-04-2017, 12:15 PM
So I may be able to get her to join the NRA if I can give her a good answer

I was asked this Question!

I would like to ask you, being a law-abiding gun owner, what your ideas are to stop 550+ people from being gunned down in 9 minutes?

All help is much appreciated.

runfiverun
10-04-2017, 12:27 PM
he didn't hit 550 people.
most of the injuries were from the stampede.

dragon813gt
10-04-2017, 12:29 PM
The answer is......there is no answer. What happened can't be prevented. The genie is out of the bottle, you can't magically put guns back in it. Complete confiscation won't prevent criminals from being criminals.

When this country addresses the mental health issue we will start moving in the right direction. We have a mental health issue disguised as a gun problem.

2wheelDuke
10-04-2017, 12:42 PM
I'm guessing they actually mean "prevent" right? The LVMPD SWAT team put a stop to things. Shooting back is the only way to stop aggression. As far as preventing it, I can't think of anything that'd have realistically prevented this.

Ickisrulz
10-04-2017, 12:45 PM
I don't think you join the NRA to prevent acts of terror. You join the NRA so your rights to own guns are preserved and you have a method to defend yourself.

Guns are just a tool. Even if they all disappeared, individuals set on killing a group of people will use trucks, cars, homemade bombs and fire. In fact they have; in Las Vegas even. The existence of mass murderers is a people problem.

I suppose, if I were given a choice, I'd prefer someone shooting at me rather than parking a bomb outside my workplace or locking the doors and setting my building on fire. I think my chances of survival would be better. Could sick individuals be driven to use more lethal weapons?

As a rule I try to avoid large crowds and dangerous locations.

Wayne Smith
10-04-2017, 12:49 PM
According to the FBI his father was a psychopath. This is physiological (in the brain) and genetic. Good likelihood he was as well, and his behavior is certainly similar. No way to diagnose this beyond behavior or examining the brain. No psychopath will willingly allow their brain to be examined! Psychopathic behavior is easily hidden - A certain financial manager hid it for most of his life. Intelligent psychopaths hide in public.

Currently no solution to this problem other than immediate reaction to their actions.

StolzerandSons
10-04-2017, 12:51 PM

I would like to ask you, being a law-abiding gun owner, what your ideas are to stop 550+ people from being gunned down in 9 minutes?

Be honest and tell her that there is nothing that will stop a determined person from hurting or killing other people. The tool they use is irrelevant. For example the Berlin market attack 12-2016, 12 killed 48 injured with a truck, in a country with fairly restrictive gun laws. How many could a person with a truck kill driving into a crowd of 22,000 at a concert? I don't know the answer but I know a temporary chain link fence doesn't stop 60,000 pounds of rolling steel.

Larry Gibson
10-04-2017, 01:00 PM
Have to know why he did it before we can answer how to prevent it. He apparently did not violate any gun laws as all were legally purchased so there was no prevention there. No criminal record so no prevention there. No apparent mental health issues, etc. so it boils down to his motive which when that is found out may or may not provide and answer.

I will say this; you cannot prevent this type of premeditated and planned out incidents from happening with defensive "security" measures. They will always find a way around those or find another venue of attack.

bob208
10-04-2017, 01:03 PM
until you can control the evil in a persons heart. don't take away my ability to protect my self and family. don't punish me for the wrong of others.

500Linebaughbuck
10-04-2017, 01:20 PM
how many lives were stolen from abortion? how many lives were stolen from illegal drugs? how many lives were stolen from evil?

when they stop this, i'll "talk" about gun control.

Kosh75287
10-04-2017, 01:33 PM
1.) We know that 500+ persons were INJURED, not "GUNNED DOWN".
2.) Of the 58 innocent lives lost, we're STILL in the dark about how many died of gunshot wounds vs. how many were killed by trampling or other factors emergent but secondary to the shots fired.
3.) MY first suggestion would be to NOT cram 20,000 unarmed persons into a roofless enclosure from which they have grave difficulty escaping. I'm aware of the security concerns and making sure that all who entered have paid admission, but surely there is some way of erecting said enclosures with "out-only" gates/doors, and perhaps SOME method of obscuring the view of the audience from structures which are taller and proximal. By itself, an obscured view of Paddock's target area might not have stopped him from shooting. But it almost WOULD HAVE to have made his task more problematic.
4.) Give room rate discounts to concealed-carry permit holders. There's no guarantee that THIS alone would have stopped Paddock, either, but it would be something that he would have to have considered, before he decided to murder 58 innocent people. I'M not a murdering psychopath, but had I been where Paddock was, I would have had to consider the possibility that, at any moment, I might have to deal with an armed citizen who intends to shut me down.
5.) Electronic search patrons entering the hotel, NOT to prevent the entry of firearms, but to prevent the entry of hammers heavy enough to defeat the exterior windows of the hotel. Perhaps even exempting CHL holders from the required electronic pass-through would help. Persons with the conduct and discipline to obtain and retain a CHL rarely engage in such atrocities. In fact, I am at a loss to name ONE such example.
6.) Whoever said that NRA membership is about preserving one's right to and means of self-defense and not preventing lunatics from suddenly murdering people hit it RIGHT ON THE HEAD. If anyone thinks it was tough before, to protect their gun rights against ineffective "feel-good" legislation, well, Ladies & Gentlemen, hang on to your hats.
7.) Encourage very constituent of the congressional left that we can to contact their congressmen with the entreaty to NOT POLITICIZE such an atrocity, particularly before the deceased can be buried and mourned.

Okay, end of rant.

Soundguy
10-04-2017, 01:46 PM
he could as easilly built a platform with 4 ar 15 and a hand crank trigger palpitatoe and fed them with 100 round stick mags if bump fire wasn't legal.

criminals will do anything.

I'm wondering why there is no one clammoring for a glass breakage sensor on those hi rise buildings.... if someone breaks out a window, you can bet a suicide or murder is about to happen..

koehn,jim
10-04-2017, 01:54 PM
In Switzerland every citizen has a gun and yet few killings. The problem is not the guns, last year in Nice France a terrorist used a truck to kill more than75, guns are hard to get in France. If someone is bent on killing they will find a way.

M-Tecs
10-04-2017, 01:56 PM
That is an easy answer. In this case it was a firearm but it could be just as easily a bomb, truck airplane or various other methods of mass destruction. Dealing with the people that do this type of action is the only workable solution. Surrendering our rights and ability to protect ourselves and the constitution is not the solution.

A couple of gallons of gasoline killed 87 people http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/dozens-die-fire-illegal-bonx-social-club-1990-article-1.2152091

Dealing with only one component of a much larger problem never will work.

Love Life
10-04-2017, 02:04 PM

Ban all guns, then have military, LEO, and Gubmint agencies go house to house across the nation to search for stashes and confiscate.

Have military, LEO, etc cordon, search, and secure all venues 48 hours in advance.

Use tanks and A10 Warthogs as needed.

On a serious note, you can't stop it without seriously restricting freedom.

Bad people do bad things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DerekP Houston
10-04-2017, 02:13 PM
You can't predict or prevent crazy evil people. Restricting the rights of law abiding citizens won't do anything but make the politicians and anti-gun idiots happy.

historicfirearms
10-04-2017, 02:19 PM
I have an idea on how to stop the antigun Democrats. Have Trump threaten to confiscate the guns of everyone that voted against him. Maybe then the Dems will understand what the second amendment is really for. I think their hatred of conservatives outweighs their hatred of guns.

RogerDat
10-04-2017, 02:25 PM
You cannot make the world safe from evil. You can only prepare yourself to handle an emergency.
Ask your friend if they know basic first aid? CPR? How to use a fire extinguisher? Where extinguishers are located in their normal daily routine? Where the emergency exits are at work and where they shop, exits in restaurants or movie theaters they frequent?

A surprising number of people don't think about what to say if you have to call 911. First thing is location, location, location! Then medical and/or police response request. That is why on so many 911 tapes you here people describing the victim or what they see with a bunch of OMG thrown in. Address and we need police and/or ambulance, then move on to details or answering questions.

Point is one tool that people have to respond to an emergency with is a firearm, just as the other responses I mention require training and some thought. Considering the FBI statistics place long guns which includes all rifles, not just high capacity, or semi-auto but all rifles combined near the bottom of the list for weapons used in homicide tells a reasonable person that while these shootings are horrific and dramatic news they are not the source of anything close to a majority of homicides. Bludgeoned to death with a club of some sort is higher on the FBI list than long guns.

If you join the NRA your going to be pushing for solutions that will tackle the real sources of firearm violence as well allowing for law abiding people to have access to the knowledge, training and tools that allow one to defend your life and the life of those you love. Recall in Las Vegas one of those pauses was because an armed security guard was being shot at through the door rather than the gunman shooting out the windows. In that time how many lives were saved? Would that guard have been at the door if unarmed? Would most firearm owners have gone to the assistance of the wounded guard and possibly stopped the shooter from doing more harm? Should that be a possibility?

Trucks, gasoline, fertilizer and fuel oil, even dropping rocks off of over pass have been used to perpetrate random acts of hate or madness to kill or injure people.

Texas by God
10-04-2017, 02:37 PM
Cain started it. There is nothing so evil as the darkness of people's minds. We can &must meet evil with extreme prejudice. Personally I would like to extend the death penalty to the criminally insane and child molesters. And quit keeping inmates on Death Row for more than two years. Forget lethal injection; the executioner can use one .22 bullet to the base of the skull. Arm chair analysis won't stop anything, nor will more laws. Label me a crazy hard case; I have freedom of speech.

Bulldogger
10-04-2017, 02:37 PM
The best thing to stop a bad man with a gun is a good man with a gun. Good doesn't mean "government vetted", just good. Until a man is proven "bad" by natural law he's good enough.

Bulldogger

Battis
10-04-2017, 02:45 PM
My response would be to cite the number of people killed in car accidents on that day. On average, 120 people die in car accidents every day, day after day, week after week, etc. And another 200,000 people are hurt, maimed, disabled every year due to cars.
I ask people if they can name someone hurt in a car accident that they know - everyone knows someone. Then I ask them to name someone they know that was hurt by a gun. I've yet to get an answer.

dragon813gt
10-04-2017, 02:46 PM
5.) Electronic search patrons entering the hotel, NOT to prevent the entry of firearms, but to prevent the entry of hammers heavy enough to defeat the exterior windows of the hotel. Perhaps even exempting CHL holders from the required electronic pass-through would help. Persons with the conduct and discipline to obtain and retain a CHL rarely engage in such atrocities. In fact, I am at a loss to name ONE such example.

Absolutely not. I travel for work and give up enough freedoms in the name of "safety/security". I travel w/ a Pelican case full of tools every week. I also travel w/ a Pelican case for my guns when the state I'm traveling to allows it. I don't need anyone at the hotel knowing what the contents of these cases are. I don't trust the people that work there. I don't trust the TSA who rifles through my case and has destroyed calibrated tool in the past. I am done giving up freedom and being forced to submit to searches. Spend time in an airport every week and you will understand why.

waksupi
10-04-2017, 03:07 PM
What if it would have been nerve gas, any long acting pathogen, or even Molatov cocktails? The pathogens arguably would have been much the worst scenario, and could have possibly reached every participant, for them to take home and spread further.
Certainly much easier to transport.
It's just a matter of time.

Kosh75287
10-04-2017, 03:11 PM
I'm wondering why there is no one clamoring for a glass breakage sensor on those hi rise buildings.... if someone breaks out a window, you can bet a suicide or murder is about to happen.. Hey, I LIKE that idea!

KCSO
10-04-2017, 03:31 PM
Since Jacob Fordney as hacked to death by a neighbour initiating the insanity defence there has been no answer to violence committed by people who slip a cog. There is no answer there is no defence. If he didn't use a gun he would have used a bomb or a airplane ( he was a pilot). Just think of the damage if he had nosed dived a small plane filled with cans of gas into the crowd.

Part of life is there IS no total safety never was never will be... you just live your life the best you can and take reasonable precautions. You will never know if the next car you meet coming down the road may be a nut intent on suicide. It was a tragedy but apparently unavoidable as he was determined to take others with him.

England banned guns then knives and now the latest fad is acid in squirt guns and syringes. Bans don't stop violence. What is coming when guns are obsolete? The history of mankind has been one long progression of faster easier and better ways to kill your fellow man. Just wait till we are all packing Phasers or some such and a nut job decides to kill his fellow man.

Kosh75287
10-04-2017, 04:03 PM
Absolutely not. I travel for work and give up enough freedoms in the name of "safety/security". I travel w/ a Pelican case full of tools every week. I also travel w/ a Pelican case for my guns when the state I'm traveling to allows it. In retrospect, I should have specified "Electronic search entrants of HIGH RISE Hotels". If it's below a certain number of stories, no electronic search needed. Another person suggested using technology which detects window breaches in high-rise Inns. THAT could be an alternative.

I don't need anyone at the hotel knowing the contents of these cases. I don't trust the people that work there. Okay, fair point. I don't really know what to do about that. Hmm...

I am done giving up freedom and being forced to submit to searches. Spend time in an airport every week and you will understand why. I'm not indifferent to your situation. I've spent a fair amount of time in airline terminals, and I get it.

dragon813gt
10-04-2017, 04:20 PM
Another person suggested using technology which detects window breaches in high-rise Inns. THAT could be an alternative.

I'm fine w/ this. I won't be breaking any hotel windows out. And that would actually be a good security measure. But hotels aren't going to want to pay the cost. Cameras that cover all the hallways aren't always around.

While this guy was 32 stories up. You can do damage from any elevated position. Hotel I'm at this week is four stories and overlooks a freeway on one side and a college campus on the other. No point in going into detail but most can imagine how bad it would be if a shooter was at this hotel during a traffic jam or anytime class is in session.

Any security measure can be defeated. It's just a matter of how much effort it's going to take to defeat it.

skeettx
10-04-2017, 04:34 PM
OK, THE ANSWER
Become a God fearing, gun toting nation once again
We kicked God out of schools, we kicked God out of government
We kicked God out of the nation, when the Light leaves, darkness will enter

MyFlatline
10-04-2017, 04:39 PM
^^^best answer so far,,^^^^^

Soundguy
10-04-2017, 04:42 PM
Hey, I LIKE that idea!

And.. You coil tie it to a state that auto unlocked that rooms door, and blinked the lights and made a tone go off to alert others.. Kinda like a fire alarm setup...

They would have known in the lobby in a second when he broke the window, and taken action immediately, instead of much later.. Might have saved lives I he had to deal with a suicide check being imminent.

375RUGER
10-04-2017, 05:13 PM

She needs to come to the realization that there is evil in this world and lives in the hearts and minds of man.

Soundguy
10-04-2017, 05:35 PM
She needs to come to the realization that there is evil in this world and lives in the hearts and minds of man.

And.. As most of us know.. Usually the best way to stop bad people with guns.... Are good people with guns..

jonp
10-04-2017, 05:50 PM
he didn't hit 550 people.
most of the injuries were from the stampede.

They keep repeating this figure but not explaining how many were injured in the stampede and how many were shot. I'd kinda like to know

Soundguy
10-04-2017, 05:54 PM
I bet it will come out, but due to the amount of people injured, and the need to get bodies in beds, I bet the statistics take a bit to settle.

Not making an excuse for them, but I bet treatment is trumping data collection at this phase.

jonp
10-04-2017, 05:55 PM
he could as easilly built a platform with 4 ar 15 and a hand crank trigger palpitatoe and fed them with 100 round stick mags if bump fire wasn't legal.

criminals will do anything.

I'm wondering why there is no one clammoring for a glass breakage sensor on those hi rise buildings.... if someone breaks out a window, you can bet a suicide or murder is about to happen..

Interesting idea but is the tens of million in cost worth one incident? Cold to say it but this is a variation of "if it saves just one childs life". You get to a point of diminishing returns in the cost benefit ratio.

crowbuster
10-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Start with all these meds dr's put folks on that have worse side effects than the original problem. Blame big pharmaseuticals instead of guns. Look up Diazapam

elmacgyver0
10-04-2017, 06:04 PM
The people, politicians, that is, who are calling for the banning of guns are not doing it to end violence.

William Yanda
10-04-2017, 06:13 PM
If in the crowd of 20K+ there were a "Nate Romanowski"-fictional character who carries a big bore revolver or 2, who could have fired back.......but it was a gun free zone. And the liberals say the "repugs" are to blame.

Soundguy
10-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Interesting idea but is the tens of million in cost worth one incident? Cold to say it but this is a variation of "if it saves just one childs life". You get to a point of diminishing returns in the cost benefit ratio.

Is it worth banning a slide fire stock that hasn't been used in a crime by the other 320 million people in the USA.

Seriously.. There has been 1 crime with a bumpfire.. Is this really a bumpfire problem, or is it a criminal problem?

Soundguy
10-04-2017, 06:23 PM
If in the crowd of 20K+ there were a "Nate Romanowski"-fictional character who carries a big bore revolver or 2, who could have fired back.......but it was a gun free zone. And the liberals say the "repugs" are to blame.

Normally have a responding shooter would help.. But I a situation with the attacker on the 32nd floor, and ? 400 yards away... No ccw's were going to be returning fire.

JSnover
10-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Assuming she meant how we prevent this, we can't.

https://reason.com/blog/2015/10/04/the-new-york-times-explains-why-neither

"The New York Times notes that mass shooters tend to share certain traits, including isolation, anger, and depression. But that does not mean they can be identified before they commit their crimes, because many other people with these traits never kill anyone. "What seems telling about the killers," says the Times, "is not how much they have in common but how much they look and seem like so many others who do not inflict harm." As Northeastern University criminologist James Alan Fox, an expert on mass murders, tells the paper, "The big problem is that the kind of pattern that describes them describes tens of thousands of Americans—even people who write awful things on Facebook or the Internet. We can't round up all the people who scare us." Duke University psychiatrist Jeffrey Swanson concurs:

Sure, you've got these risk factors, but they also describe thousands of people who are never going to commit a mass shooting. You can't go out and round up all the alienated angry young men.

The observation that mass shooters cannot be identified before the fact is obviously relevant to proposals for expanding the use of forcible psychiatric treatment as a way of preventing these crimes. But it is also fatal to the idea that background checks are the key to stopping mass murderers. As Brian Doherty noted on Friday, all of the guns used by the perpetrator of last week's massacre in Oregon were purchased legally, either by the killer himself or by his relatives. The fact that the killer bought weapons from federally licensed gun dealers means he repeatedly passed background checks, presumably because he did not have a disqualifying criminal or psychiatric record, which is typically the case with mass shooters.

A sidebar to the Times story obfuscates that point, saying "criminal histories and documented mental health problems did not prevent at least eight of the gunmen in 14 recent mass shootings from obtaining their weapons, after federal background checks led to approval of the purchases of the guns used." In three of these cases, information that arguably would have blocked the purchases was not obtained, either because of FBI negligence or because of incomplete databases. But in the rest of the cases, the "criminal histories and documented health problems" to which the Times refers were not legally disqualifying because they did not involve felonies or court-ordered psychiatric treatment. And in none of these cases would requiring background checks for all gun transfers—the most commonly mentioned response to mass shootings—have made a difference.

The obvious response is to expand the criteria for prohibiting gun ownership. But as I mentioned last week, those criteria are already excessively broad, arbitrarily depriving millions of people who pose no threat of their Second Amendment rights. Expanding the criteria—to include, say, people with psychiatric diagnoses or people whose disruptive behavior gets them fired from jobs or kicked out of school—would only compound this unconstitutional injustice while doing little to prevent mass shootings."

Jacob Sullum is a senior editor at Reason magazine and a nationally syndicated columnist.

shdwlkr
10-04-2017, 07:20 PM
the said truth is as long as there are people that wish to do harm to others, you will never stop the violence. You could put everyone on a constant monitor and you would still have individuals who find away around this to do harm to others.
what we can do as a population is to make sure we know how to leave any large gathering, make sure that there is real security where you go and most of all stay away from large crowds no matter what. The days of feeling totally safe in America or really any place in the world are gone.

Geezer in NH
10-04-2017, 07:21 PM

Don't get baited

alg3205
10-04-2017, 07:34 PM
Get another girl friend, that is a question which has no reasonable answer.

GhostHawk
10-04-2017, 09:02 PM
Answer, simply, you can not prevent it.

Bad things happen to good people. It comes down to free will, in this case the will of the person/s pulling the trigger.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. If they don't have guns they use the next best thing.

IMO this was PLANNED by the left, to kill and wound enough people in one event to give them a reason and an excuse to come after our guns.

We have not heard it yet, or I have not. But I suspect the shooter had not much time left on this world. And they say he converted to Islam, and sent huge sums of money to the Philippines.

Does that sound like an American steeped in gun culture? Not to me.
Sounds to me like someone sold out for a reason, knowing he would go out with a bang.

The truth will out, but you won't hear it on the fake news media.

There is only one way to stop a bad man with a gun, that is a good man with a gun.

Laws only work for those who obey them. You outlaw all guns and only the outlaws will have guns. Cause they don't care about the law. Look at the UK or Australia!

If that system worked there would be no murders. The average person does not have a gun there. But their crime rates are going up not down.

But don't take my word for it.

Bad things are going to happen. Natural disasters, human made disasters.
If you are trained, prepared, chance are you can survive.

Huddling on the ground screaming "please don't hit me, please don't take my stuff" simply does not work.

You have to stand up, take responsibility for yourself and your family. Including their defense. Then you get prepared, get trained, and you pray you never need it.

Best answer I can give you.

Tenbender
10-04-2017, 09:08 PM
As a rule I try to avoid large crowds and dangerous locations.

This is the key. People have become self serving.

dragon813gt
10-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Start with all these meds dr's put folks on that have worse side effects than the original problem. Blame big pharmaseuticals instead of guns. Look up Diazapam

They gave us the opioid epidemic. And it sure seems like they're giving us the mass murderers. But drugs that effect your body chemistry effect everyone differently. So what works for me may not work for you. Should they not release the drugs that could potentially help millions, just a random figure, because it effects one person negatively? A cost benefit analysis will say no. The good far outweighs the bad. Now if a drug negatively effects a quarter of it's users then we have an issue that shouldn't be ignored.

NyFirefighter357
10-04-2017, 09:53 PM
It's very simple keep Democrats from owning guns!

Plate plinker
10-04-2017, 10:03 PM
Be honest and tell her that there is nothing that will stop a determined person from hurting or killing other people. The tool they use is irrelevant. For example the Berlin market attack 12-2016, 12 killed 48 injured with a truck, in a country with fairly restrictive gun laws. How many could a person with a truck kill driving into a crowd of 22,000 at a concert? I don't know the answer but I know a temporary chain link fence doesn't stop 60,000 pounds of rolling steel.

Or said truck with a OKC type bomb in the back to boot. It could have actually been worse

edp2k
10-04-2017, 10:05 PM
Don't accept their premise!

So what if there was a bumpfire stock?
Would they be any less dead if he used a 98 Mauser?

We are falling into the trap always used by the left of focusing on the gun and its technology and what-shall-we-ban-now
to try and satisfy an emotional need at this time.

When ISIS drives a truck into a crowd is there a debate about "did the truck have an automatic transmission?"
and "how can we ban that". Make them use a manual transmission or go back to a horse and cart, they can't drive that into a crowd.

Don't accept their premise!

Handloader109
10-05-2017, 01:40 PM
Nra, not organized to prevent this sort of thing. Sorry, and prevent? Not a darn thing you can do. Or that the government can do. It is already illegal to murder. Didn't disuade him at all. And this sick individual would have done a McVey if guns weren't available. Or something worse. Evil exists.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-05-2017, 01:54 PM

My first suggestion would be to do the same things that the Chicago City Government does to prevent the Gangland shootings that plague that city (2913 shot, 501 died so far this year) ..Oh I mean, I would do the opposite, because what they are doing isn't working.

jmorris
10-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Don't allow thousands of people to congregate. That's about it.

How do we stop thousands of people, every year from dying from automobiles? Drunk driving kills more people every weekend and has for decades, yet I haven't seen any proposed legislation to eliminate alcohol or automobiles to prevent such senseless tragedies.

They guy had money and wanted to cause harm. Just think how many would have died if he bought a Cessna and plowed into a crowd of 22,000? Been a lot more damage done in a shorter time frame.

Geezer in NH
10-05-2017, 06:05 PM
It's very simple keep Democrats from owning guns!
Winner!!!!!!!!!!! :goodpost:

NoAngel
10-05-2017, 06:06 PM
Stop letting stupid people breed.

jonp
10-05-2017, 07:40 PM

No, blame those that want these drugs to mainstream the mentally ill and not "stigmatize them". The pharmaceutical companies are responding to a need like any company and clearly point out the side effects of their drugs. If people refuse to listen then that is their fault

jonp
10-05-2017, 07:45 PM
Stop letting stupid people breed.

Alright Margarete Sanger, calm down..:wink:

Grmps
10-05-2017, 08:03 PM
Explain that you don't need guns to kill people. The tobacco industry has known that for a long time.
He/she/it could have done more damage with IED's or driving a large truck through the crowd.

2wheelDuke
10-05-2017, 08:21 PM
Ban all guns, then have military, LEO, and Gubmint agencies go house to house across the nation to search for stashes and confiscate.

Have military, LEO, etc cordon, search, and secure all venues 48 hours in advance.

Use tanks and A10 Warthogs as needed.

On a serious note, you can't stop it without seriously restricting freedom.

Bad people do bad things.

I wonder how many takers they'd really have there without calling in the UN or something.

Love Life
10-05-2017, 10:05 PM
I wonder how many takers they'd really have there without calling in the UN or something.

Probably less than 40%.

jeepguy242
10-05-2017, 10:43 PM
be honest and tell her that there is nothing that will stop a determined person from hurting or killing other people. The tool they use is irrelevant. For example the berlin market attack 12-2016, 12 killed 48 injured with a truck, in a country with fairly restrictive gun laws. How many could a person with a truck kill driving into a crowd of 22,000 at a concert? I don't know the answer but i know a temporary chain link fence doesn't stop 60,000 pounds of rolling steel.

this!!!

Traffer
10-06-2017, 02:11 AM
When asked "gotcha" questions, Jesus would often answer with a question himself. I will offer no quotes, go research it yourself. But with Jesus' example I would answer that question with another question, which is: "You are a human being, tell me, how can you prevent a human being from dying?"
Obviously it cannot be done. That is the problem with those who do not fear God, they try to mitigate every possible threat in life. I hate the idea of being forced to wear seat belts. I live in a community that forces parents to make their children wear helmets to ride bicycles. And on ad nauseam. So why do we not make children wear helmets when the walk on any concrete surface. They may fall down. Grrrr. People who cannot trust in God force the gubmint to provide every security for them. Now they even want the gubmint to protect them from the "the sky is warming, the sky is warming" ...don't get me going here...

woodbutcher
10-06-2017, 11:12 PM
:( Then there`s this situation.Anyone remember the novel about the guy that was going to
try to kill a bunch of people at a Super Bowl game.Was going to use a huge claymore type weapon attached to the Goodyear blimp.Think about something along those lines about 15 feet by 4 feet loaded with 1 inch steel ball bearings in the back of a box truck and pointed at that type of venue and touched off.
Leo

Handloader109
10-07-2017, 01:41 PM
There are more ways to kill groups of humans than we can possibly list. That this guy used guns is bad for legal gun owners, buy in with traffer, the godless want to mitigate and prevent every possible harm to everyone. We all are going to die, no one gets out of this life alive. Deal with it, take as few risks as you feel comfortable with and live your life to the fullest. And let's help each other work to keep our guns in our hands.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Land Owner
10-09-2017, 11:30 AM
Interesting idea but is the tens of million in cost worth one incident?

Why not? We got a "knee jerk" Homeland Security Agency of 38,000+ individuals and their salaries and benefits, how many airports with "feel good" multi-million dollar equipment for seeing if you have any metal parts stashed on your person, of course after the embarrassment to you of an illegal strip search, and SWAT Teams and training in every major town and city the likes of which would probably make the Third Reich proud. Where does it end?

woodbutcher
10-10-2017, 02:34 PM
:grin: RE:Post 65.IIRC,the name of the book was"Black Sunday".
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Echo
10-11-2017, 01:37 PM
Have to know why he did it before we can answer how to prevent it. He apparently did not violate any gun laws as all were legally purchased so there was no prevention there. No criminal record so no prevention there. No apparent mental health issues, etc. so it boils down to his motive which when that is found out may or may not provide and answer.

I will say this; you cannot prevent this type of premeditated and planned out incidents from happening with defensive "security" measures. They will always find a way around those or find another venue of attack.

Plus One, Larry.