PDA

View Full Version : Time for change

fatelk
10-03-2017, 09:38 PM
I think I'm going backwards, compared to most. The stereotype is that most guys pinch pennies when you and raising a family, then accumulate all their toys later in life. I started a little later with the family thing so I've accumulated a lot of stuff. Not anything particularly nice or valuable, just a lot of stuff.

Now the priorities have changed. My kids take up my time, and I don't particularly enjoy casting and reloading like I used to, or even shooting so much for that matter. I've been starting the process of digging out for at least a couple years now, and after today I think I'll greatly accelerate the process. It's a daunting job but I've got to start somewhere; selling off a bunch of molds, lots of lead, a bunch of guns, and a whole lot of old surplus ammo.

Got to lighten the load, become a little more mobile. I moved here five years ago to come back to a long time employer, a solid company with a good reputation of taking care of their people. Now they've made some "Wonderful, Exciting, new changes" that are resulting in the absolute destruction of the benefits package for about half of the U.S. employees. I simply can't afford to pay $600 more per month for health coverage, so my career here is basically over. On top of that I make too much to find anything better in this area, so it's looking like I'll need to uproot our lives and move again. So discouraging.

Sorry, I know I'm ranting, and I've ranted about this before. They keep dragging out the process, promising us it won't be that bad, but they lie. I've developed a strong dislike for corporate people. It's all about the bottom dollar for the shareholders, or more accurately the next bonus and promotion. They talk about ethics and valuing employees, but they'll screw over thousands of us in a heartbeat, destroy lives and families with a smile on their faces telling us we should be happy about it.

So it's time to really get serious about digging out, selling tons of stuff I don't need and trying to sock away some money to prepare for a move. It really sucks to move all this heavy stuff and I won't do it again.

DerekP Houston
10-03-2017, 10:50 PM
Easy come, easy go. It's just stuff man, and I get the whole betrayal feeling from the bean counters. Best of luck in your next adventure and keep your head up. On the plus side most shooting related hobbies maintain their value well so at least you'll get some value back out of it as you clear inventory.

lylejb
10-03-2017, 10:57 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about that, Fatelk. But I understand completely. I once worked for a company for 12 years, who had many employees with much greater seniority than I . the local owner sold the company to a big outfit from back East. We had many meetings telling us how great It would be and how this was a wonderful opportunity. Reality, however, was they sucked everything they could out of the place, running it at a tax loss to cover their other operations. Later they dumped the company on another local owner after it was too late. It wasn't long until one payday the checks were late, with a note attached.....effective immediately were closed.

trails4u
10-03-2017, 11:01 PM
fatelk.....they might take your job, but that doesn't mean they can take your life. My advice, albeit from afar and not living in your shoes....breathe. I love my family above all else, and in your shoes I'd certainly find myself feeling the same way, but I also think that when it all goes south, we need comfort...and that is often found in familiarity. Downsize by all means...we all would, because that's taking care of business. Just don't lose yourself in the process.....

God Speed, and prayers up for you, brother!

osteodoc08
10-03-2017, 11:16 PM
objects are objects, time is time and family is family. You can replace one but not the others.

Take a deep breath, figure out where you truly are and where you want to be.

Evaluate your skill set and employability while sending out some feelers.

Regroup and press on. You will make it and tomorrow will come.

big bore 99
10-03-2017, 11:29 PM
That reminds me of a boss I had once. When we were very busy, he would say if you work thru vacation, you could make extra money. When things slowed down, he would say there's more to life than working all the time. Do what's best for you and your family, but don't think you wont be interested in your hobby when the kids grow up.

smokeywolf
10-03-2017, 11:34 PM
Yep, cost cutting is always exciting; for management. They get promotions, raises and bonuses for taking money and benefits away from lower level employees. Or better yet, sending American jobs to other countries. I commiserate with you. NAFTA cost me nearly a quarter million dollars in income and benefits.

On the other hand, there's not much that's more valuable than time with your kids. While you liquidate your hobby stuff, remember that someday your kids may want to enjoy this hobby and twenty or thirty years from now, a lot of the tools, supplies and goodies you've collected may be impossible for them to find.

fatelk
10-03-2017, 11:44 PM
Thanks guys. I actually came back on with the intention of deleting this thread if it didn't have responses yet. I think I was just too emotional, ranting and whining and feeling sorry for myself too much. Sorry for that. I know there are lots of folks out there going through far worse than me.

I think as men especially we tend to find our identity in what we do for a living and our ability to take care of and provide for our families. My wife is much better at saying "God will provide" and staying calm about it.

It's funny, after decades with a company you tend to feel some ownership- "My company". We talk about things like "Wait a minute; We bought them, how come they own us?" (referring to the changes at work).

Reality is, we've come to the realization that even though our tiny crew at our site has combined years with the company of nearly a century, we really have absolutely no ownership. We are just so much company property that they can and will dispose of at will.

Thin Man
10-04-2017, 05:21 AM
This business of the employee getting less and less started long ago. The company I worked for had the best benefits package in our end of the state until around 20 years ago, but change came our way. There were no pay raises, no cost of living adjustments, just nothing added into the employee's pocket. The employee's "contribution" (extortion?) for health care started increasing as did our "out of pocket" mandate before the insurance actually picked up any of our medical costs. For a few years this contribution was small but later got really heavy. We hired in a new guy during these years. He stayed with us for four (4) years, but saw that his take-home pay dropped every year during that time. All he could say was "it just ain't right". After four years on the job he was taking home less pay than when he first hired in with us. Out of frustration he left us for another job. Others also left.

I stayed on the job. My perspective was that this job had provided for my family and me and I had to stay with the company to provide for my family. My age and medical history prevented my being able to locate other work. Then our management decided to offer a retirement incentive to those of us who were eligible to retire. The offer was to buy out all our stored vacation time, half of our sick leave time, and carry the employee and spouse and dependent children on the company's health plan for seven (7) years with NO contributions from the employee. BINGO! Both the wife and I would be eligible for social security in 7 years and our disabled daughter would gather benefits that otherwise would have cost us all we had. I took the offer and smiled.

I retired with 34 years continuous service. During these years we had several bosses. Some were so good I wanted them to stay for ever. Some were only so-so. One was such a lunatic everyone there wanted him to leave. With all the ups and downs of these changes there was one thing that never changed. I was committed to providing for my family. OK, I'll take the abuse and grief at work when it comes. I can suffer through it and still come back to work tomorrow. The job takes care of my family, if not me. It's all about one's priorities. Once you have that established it's just a walk in the park.

fatelk
10-04-2017, 04:09 PM
After not sleeping last night worrying about how I'm going to provide for my family, then making some calls and looking around more seriously this morning, I feel a little better. I feel fairly confident that I could find a decent job within a 45 to 60 minute commute.

Giving up my 10 minute commute would stink. Giving up my many years of seniority and 4 weeks vacation would stink. Giving up my excellent retirement and health benefits would, oh yeah, those last two are slashed, shredded, and destroyed already...

I'm still going forward with lightening the load of guns and reloading gear. I think the Dillon is going to go as well, along with case after case of surplus ammo that's worth far more than I paid for it.

As much as the thought of moving is almost unbearable, part of me wants to leave Oregon. I'm a life long Oregonian but with the politics tilting the way they have in the last few years we are rapidly becoming California. The powers that be in Salem are howling-at-the-moon, foaming-at-the-mouth leftists who idolize Sacramento, and the plans they have for us are a little scary. We used to be a more balanced state for the most part and I was ok with that.

shooter93
10-04-2017, 06:54 PM
I think there have been great changes in this country's outlook on business at the corporate level and not for the good. Not so much for small businesses. I have always taken very good care of people who worked for me and more than once they made more income in a year than I did as owner. It seems to me that ever since the mantra became.....we owe allegiance to stock holders and have to make the greatest profit possible.....that the workers have become disposal. I fully understand that businesses have to make a profit but tossing aside workers like old shoes isn't the way to do it. It's always been my personal belief that you start a business not to make a profit but rather because you love what you do and that you'll offer an excellent product or service at a fair price and make a profit doing it. It seems not that profit is the holy grail and so we hurt labor and have cheapened so many products that they are becoming junk.
I remember when made in America was the standard....period. Everything we made was top flight and the companies providing them looked after the work force and made very good profits at the same time. Now it's profit over everything including people. It's a shame and a disgrace. This country can make anything with very high quality and be the world standard. We can't do it though when money is vastly more important that the people who make the product or provide the service. Many won't agree but It;s my opinion and if we don't change things it will only get worse.

TXGunNut
10-05-2017, 10:22 AM
It's mind-boggling to me that so many employers place so little value on long-term knowledgeable and dedicated employees. I'm at the lower end of the corporate ladder and know how hard it is to attract and hire good employees. It makes no sense to me. I was forced out after nearly ten years and there is no one there qualified or trained to do my job. Apparently that's not an issue for folks only concerned with the big picture.
I wish I knew why companies only give lip service to the concept of caring about their employees. I hope you'll continue in your hobbies but I fully understand the difficulties and expense of moving a reloading operation.
I support your desire to focus on your family, I can't think of a better pastime.