PDA

View Full Version : Storing boolits

Don1357
10-03-2017, 02:03 PM
I sold a mold I don't need (30 cal 130 grain, perfect for a 30 carbine) I figure before I deliver the mold I ought to cast a bunch of boolits just because. Would they get damaged a lot if I chuck them in a bag and let them collect a few year's worth of being moved around? Does anybody uses any special way to keep their stashes of boolits in top shape? They will be water hardened WW with a pinch of tin.

Dan Cash
10-03-2017, 02:19 PM
Where I am not concerned with bullet base integrity, I store un lubricated bullets in small flat rate boxes. They hold a lot of bullets and are easy to handle and store in a storage rack. If I lubricate them, I put them in a sealed ziplock bag and then into the flat rate box. For long range bullets, eg. BPCR bullets, they go in to plastic cartridge trays. These don't get greased until needed.

Tom W.
10-03-2017, 02:41 PM
I put my paper punching boolits in a 50 cal. ammo can, unsized or lubed when I have trouble moving the cans I figure that they are full enough. I have some plastic pencil boxes that I put the sized and lubed boolits in.

gwpercle
10-03-2017, 03:30 PM
I size, lube and stack them in plastic food containers, base down , side by side in neat rows untill the bottom is full. If the container is deep enough a piece of cardboard is cut to fit, placed on top of the first layer and another layer of boolits fitted in. Some containers are small some are larger, all have tight fitting lids. The ones with square corners work best.
Small cardboard boxes work well but plastic lasts longer.
I take pride in casting good boolits, just dumping them willy nilly in a zip lock bag or coffee can just doesn't seem right .
Gary

lightman
10-03-2017, 03:50 PM
I used cigar boxes until it got where you could not find them. Now I use used small flat rate USPS boxes. I bought some MTM plastic boxes but am not impressed.

Rcmaveric
10-03-2017, 05:01 PM
I use cigar boxes also. They give them out for free at the store I frequent. You just have to ask and hope no one beat you to them. I also use dollar store containers with a screw on lid to store the unsized bullets till the cigar boxes get empty.

RogerDat
10-03-2017, 05:28 PM
I use some square MTM boxes for more limited production stuff but mostly for plinking and paper punching ammo I just store in zip lock bags inside 30 cal. ammo boxes. Have those labeled for caliber/diameter. Put a piece of 3x5 card in the bags with date/alloy/mold and caliber/weight if the mold designation doesn't directly provide that information. Any lube or sizing info goes on that card too. Might write bold marker on the other side of the card Caliber Profile Weight (E.G .360 RN 158gr). Big enough to see at a glance. For powder coat where I have applied a gas check I would also include the size of die I used and if it was sized post powder coat or just before PC to apply gas check.

If you can't tell I forget stuff! Most of the time I try to store as cast or sized, lubed, and ready to load. I find it easier to keep track of that way. My hats off to those with the gumption (and spinal fortitude) to use the 50 cal. boxes for lead. I do 30's for components to keep the weight down and mostly the smaller plastic $5 ones for ziplock bags of finished plinking ammo. Those MTM boxes are too expensive for anything but special loads or limited runs. Or brass I want to keep separated like that fire formed to one rifle.

I think you are smart to keep a stash before letting the mold go. Unless you hate the bullet you may have a future firearm where you want to try that bullet before replacing that mold or for compare to a different bullet.

DAFzipper
10-03-2017, 08:41 PM
I use plastic peanut butter jars. Hold plenty and love the wide mouth. I powder coat them first for long term storage.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Green Frog
10-03-2017, 09:33 PM
If they are bullets I care about, they get sized and lubed or not, but are stored in the plastic liners from factory ammo boxes so they are individually protected from bumps and bruises. If they are just for plinking, I either line them up in an open tray like gwpercle mentioned in post #4, or if they are really casual, I dump them loose in a box... the storage depends on the end use.

Froggie

runfiverun
10-04-2017, 02:15 AM
I got bullets in baggies, Jars, little quart cups with lids, boxes of about 6 different sizes, 1-3-5-7 gallon buckets, sterilite containers.
probably some under the bench, behind the sizer island..
whatever keeps the dust off them, and them out of my way, seems to work the best.

Bent Ramrod
10-04-2017, 10:59 AM
I grab up all the plastic .22RF boxes with sliding lids that I can find at the rifle range. The insert with the .22 holes shakes out and the labels can be removed with a little persuasion.

I can get 75 or so .25 caliber, maybe 50 .32 caliber and around 30 .44-45 pistol caliber sized and lubed boolits in one of the long 100-pack boxes that CCI or Winchester use. If I can find a Remington square 100-pack, I can get even more of them in. The .22 RF Magnum boxes hold the long .30 calibers better standing up. Since they are clear plastic, the contents are easily visible, and a small notation for size, alloy, gas check and mould number can be put on the sliding top.

The boolits don't bump or rattle around if the box is full, the boxes are dustproof, and they stack and store well on shelves or in boxes. After decades of storage in a hot garage, the lube sticks the boolits together slightly, but they come apart without tearing the lube out of the lube grooves. They seem to shoot as well as when new. The air seems to come out of the lubrisizer-applied lube, giving a more "pan-lubed" appearance.

Second choice are the Speer yellow plastic boxes for jacketed bullets. I have to generate these myself, and I can't see into them. Also, the plastic hinge eventually gives out, but otherwise they work like the .22 boxes.

Raw castings go in the one- or two-pound clear plastic deli salad containers. Typically, they are sorted by weight and so labeled. This is in-process storage only, not for long-term or for transport.

dragon813gt
10-04-2017, 11:04 AM
For bulk storage of unlubed bullets I use 30cal ammo cans. Learned my lesson about using them for lubed bullets, stored in my garage loft. I have lots of the cans and they're designed to protect what's inside of them. They also come in handy to keep the small bench weighed down.

Old pic but you get the idea.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4331/36489784351_09b11e0641_o.jpg

Victor N TN
10-04-2017, 02:42 PM
When my brother smoked cigars he gave me his empty boxes. I use them for sized & lubed bullets. To keep them from sticking together, I dust them with "Motor mica powder" that I got from Midway 20 or 30 years ago. For newer castings, I like empty plastic Kraft Mayonaise jars. That is mainly for unlubed bullets as well. I still have 4 or 5 empty cigar boxes for future use. I stack bullets in the cigar boxes by hand after a coating of the mica powder. I save the back of legal pads and cut to size to separate the layers. That way I'm not continually mashing them all together.

I have larger containers. But I have had to graduate them to use for brass in different stages.

plainsman456
10-04-2017, 07:26 PM
I buy plastic boxes from the dollar store.

Some have unlubed and others have lubed.
All have what they are written on them.

Thumbcocker
10-04-2017, 07:42 PM
Sour cream or onion dip containers.

CASTER OF LEAD
10-04-2017, 07:55 PM
I got bullets in baggies, Jars, little quart cups with lids, boxes of about 6 different sizes, 1-3-5-7 gallon buckets, sterilite containers.
whatever keeps the dust off them, and them out of my way, seems to work the best.

I am with you there Fiver. I got boolits stashed in numerous different types of containers and tucked here and there . So.e I forgot I had until I was looking for something else and ran across them. "Hmmmm forgot I had these" type deal. My most commonly used boolits when (traditional lube ) I store in large tuna cans with the lid cut with a seal cut type opener , base down until a full layer is achieved, then if space allows I cut coke case rounds for in between and add another layer. I then put the cut lid on and this makes them stackable . If PC'D I store them in tupperware(stackable), or I have used PB jars, snuff tubs and the like.
Additionally if I am storing lubed boolits long term I top coat the greased grooves with BLL. - CASTER

CIC
10-04-2017, 07:57 PM
This sounds like me. I stuff ‘em in whatercever I can find. My favorite container is the small brass ones though.

BNE
10-04-2017, 08:02 PM
I use plastic coffee cans.

John Boy
10-04-2017, 08:11 PM
dumpster drive - empty bullet trays

texassako
10-04-2017, 08:13 PM
Sour cream or onion dip containers.

Same here for the majority of mine. Rifle boolits intended for my best accuracy loads go in pistol ammo boxes I scrounge from the range when they are ready to load.

bstone5
10-04-2017, 08:54 PM
Found a paper box rated for 200 pounds of load. They easily hold 500 of all the bullets I cast with my automated Master Casting machine, keep about 10,000 cast, powder coated with home made gas check on a special roll around steel shelf I put together for brass and cast bullets. Keep bullets ready to load for all hand guns my family shoots, run the casting machine ever four months just to keep up with the family shooting activities.

Green Frog
10-05-2017, 09:11 AM
:coffeecom Addendum to Post #9:

For my most extreme care, i.e. cast bullets shot from bench rest, I store the bullets in the order cast, in the plastic ammo box liners mentioned above, then placed in wooden cigar boxes (that I have to buy because I don't smoke.) Tis strategy enables me to pack my vehicle efficiently for travel to distant ranges and arrive with my bullets well protected and ready to use. Mostly these bullets are lubed individually at the bench with a special historical lube pump just as they are loaded. I noticed that my little ready to use 32 cal pistol bullet boxes on the loading bench are getting a little low, so I need to do some casting and lubing and neatly refill those boxes with lined up bullets ready to load. 8-)

Froggie

Oklahoma Rebel
10-05-2017, 09:44 AM
what about those clear tackle boxes, if they are tall enough, you could put several types in them and use the dividers to keep them seperate

Cherokee
10-08-2017, 06:59 PM
I'm not a match shooter, I shoot for fun. My rifle and pistol bullets are cast and stored loose in 4x4 or 6x6 inch cardboard boxes. After I size/lube them, they go into a similar 4x6" box with a top opening flap, get a label identifying the bullet, size, lube, date and any special notes; then the box goes to my shelves for later use. Many years ago I tried neatly stacking the bullets, big pain and time consuming. Loose in the box works fine for me. YMMV