PDA

View Full Version : Ruger forum dot com

historicfirearms
09-30-2017, 09:03 PM
I recently joined the Rugerforum dot com (not net). I've got about 50 posts so far and I think I am done with it. Quite a few things bug me about it so far. First, every discussion seems to devolve into a peeing match. Second, nobody seems very knowledgeable about Rugers. Third, I can't believe how many liberals and fascists post there. Finally, and this is my biggest concern, my posts keep getting deleted. I try to join in on a discussion and share my point of view, and a moderator deletes my post. I'm being polite but firm in my beliefs, and frankly more civilized than other posters, but still my posts were deleted. What gives? Anyone else had problems on that forum?

DougGuy
09-30-2017, 09:24 PM
Rugerforum.net is JUST as bad. Mods censured PMs, edited posts, etc...

sparkyv
09-30-2017, 09:30 PM
CB is one of the better firearms-related forums I've come across.

Tom W.
09-30-2017, 11:00 PM
I've been on that forum longer than I've been on here, and I joined both around 2005 or earlier. You'll find things you don't like anywhere you go. I will say that most people on the Ruger forum like jacketed bullets or factory loads. I seldom mention lead boolits when I'm on over there.

dragon813gt
09-30-2017, 11:15 PM
This place is by far the most free and open. Don't join The High Road if you don't like over moderation. It kills almost every thread. If you don't like a forum move on. I'm a member of a lot of them. But rarely post on them.

Love Life
09-30-2017, 11:31 PM
This place is by far the most free and open. Don't join The High Road if you don't like over moderation. It kills almost every thread. If you don't like a forum move on. I'm a member of a lot of them. But rarely post on them.

The High Road is the best, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marlin39a
10-01-2017, 04:49 AM
I'm a Ruger collector. I found nothing worthwhile at the .com. The .net is just as bad. Full of trolls who hang out in the New User section, posting welcomes. Some have 1 year in with 5000 + posts doing welcomes. Oh, and posting "nice looking gun", and **** like that. Then the links to news stories. I guess those guys are everywhere.

rl69
10-01-2017, 07:51 AM
Don't be so hard on them they are ruger owners their specal ;) :kidding::kidding::kidding::kidding:

mold maker
10-01-2017, 08:56 AM
Don't go where you don't feel welcome. Take negative criticism realistically and move on.

Lloyd Smale
10-01-2017, 09:37 AM
left there years ago. To many that had some illusion that Ruger is some kind of a high end brand and that everything else is junk. They couldn't be more wrong on both points

snowwolfe
10-01-2017, 10:12 AM

Not even close. The Accurate Reloading forum wins for freedom hands down.
Dont get me wrong, CB forum is great. But as far as being uncensored AR wins.

dragon813gt
10-01-2017, 10:30 AM
I never said uncensored. AR15 has valuable information but you have to wade through to many posts from operators to get to what you want.

jonp
10-01-2017, 07:32 PM

It's almost as good there as AR15.Forum Those guys are stone cold life takers and heart breakers

jonp
10-01-2017, 07:33 PM
left there years ago. To many that had some illusion that Ruger is some kind of a high end brand and that everything else is junk. They couldn't be more wrong on both points

No, but Ruger's are dead tough and reliable. That is worth it's weight in gold to people that are not gentile on revolvers.

dragon813gt
10-01-2017, 08:14 PM
No, but Ruger's are dead tough and reliable. That is worth it's weight in gold to people that are not gentile on revolvers.

Now if they could only send one out the door that doesn't need to go back to be "finished". Their QC is abysmal. Won't have these issues w/ the revolvers Lloyd is referring to. But the cost of w try is much higher w/ them.

bob208
10-01-2017, 08:27 PM
I am a ruger owner and shooter. I don't feel special. I also own colts and s&w. add in a few mauser96 lugers stars even have a astra. even have uberti saa. only ever had one problem that was with a uberti saa in .45 it grouped well but a foot to the left. had to make the tools to turn the barrel in.

Lloyd Smale
10-02-2017, 04:37 AM
they break too and quality control isn't top shelf. Ive had as many ruger firearms back for repair as any. I don't know how many rugers ive owned including rifles and handguns but its been well over 50. Ive had new vaquero come with the grove in the back strap cut very crooked. Some so sloppy they would have made good baby rattles. A number 1a that wouldn't fire because the firing pin was drilled so far off center. 77s that had a hard time keeping a group on the paper at a 100 yards. I'm not saying there junk. There a gun that is a good value for what they cost but there hardly a premium brand. Yes I will agree with you that as far as taking pressure goes there brute strong. An old Blackhawk will take some serious pressure and you cant hardly overload a redhawk. But there a far cry from a FA gun or a USFA gun and as much as I don't care for bfr's they have much better fit and finish then a ruger. Same with there rifles. IF YOU GET a good shooter which is pot luck they still lag behind Winchester 70s in fit and finish and Ive yet to get a bad shooting 70. Same with a 700. Id take a cdl rem over any 77. Fit and finish wize they may give a rem sps a run for there money but 9 times out of 10 that sps will outshoot a 77. Now a #1 usually is right ill give then that. Even though I had one bad one ive had at least a dozen great ones. But then there over 1200 bucks today and for that price should be. As to being dead tough and reliable. Yes and no. Like I said they are strong but ive broke parts on them too. Now keep in mind that I don't buy a handgun and put a 1000 rounds through it in its lifetime. Usually its WELL OVER that in a year. Many get that much in a month and being mechanical they can and will break like anything else.

jonp
10-02-2017, 03:19 PM
This is all very strange to me. I've had over a dozen Rugers and never have had to get one fixed or adjusted. Maybe I'm just lucky

Tom W.
10-02-2017, 03:39 PM
Probably not. I've had the same experience...good firearms.

dragon813gt
10-02-2017, 06:35 PM
This is all very strange to me. I've had over a dozen Rugers and never have had to get one fixed or adjusted. Maybe I'm just lucky

How many have you bought since Sandy Hook? I've had to send five of six back since that happened. None of them should have left the factory. My experience is not an anomaly. There are many like me that have had to send them back.

rl69
10-02-2017, 06:46 PM
The only issue I have had with ruger is a 13 pound trigger pull on a 10/22. With a little work I have taken it down to 5 lb which is ok for a hunting riffle

jonp
10-02-2017, 07:39 PM
How many have you bought since Sandy Hook? I've had to send five of six back since that happened. None of them should have left the factory. My experience is not an anomaly. There are many like me that have had to send them back.

A couple. All good

Three-Fifty-Seven
10-02-2017, 08:33 PM
m ...

Lloyd Smale
10-03-2017, 07:00 AM
when you talk round count of your handguns in thousands and 10s of thousands instead of hundreds things break. Rugers are no exception. I can buy a rossi handgun and two boxes of shells and 5 years from now with a half a box left tell you its been dead reliable for 5 years. Doesn't make it a precision made weapon. Bottom line is if you haven't had a ruger break you either haven't owned enough of them or don't shoot them enough to see failures.

Love Life
10-03-2017, 09:17 AM
I had to send of a cylinder to be reamed for a brand new Ruger. The throats were .4505 from the factory. I had to use firm pressure to even chamber jacketed factory ammo.

I've never had that issue with any other gun. So ruger is 0-1 with me.

JBinMN
10-03-2017, 06:50 PM
In regard to the OP & topic subject...

hisoricfirearms... I am not a member there & do not intend to be, regardless of my owning more than a few of Sturm Rugers products & have so for a long time( 35+ years). It is sad that you are finding issues there & I hope they get worked out for ya.

Until then, I would say that this forum is a great one & an asset, so might I suggest that ya only use that other forum as an "asset" as well, only as another "source" in the bag of knowledge, knowing the sort of folks you are dealing with there, Now. And thus being educated on how they do things there, you can take it or leave it as ya feel.
;)

G'Luck!
:)

historicfirearms
10-03-2017, 08:22 PM
Now my thread has really been side tracked and I wish I could delete it. I see another way to look at someone buying a bunch of product and saying they aren't perfect. With a little custom work a Ruger can easily be made into one of the finest guns out there. Look at the works of Dave Clements or Hamilton Bowen to name just a couple. These guys take a solid foundation (Ruger) and make them into something near perfection. I've owned my fair share of Ruger firearms and I am happy with most of them especially considering what I paid for them. Every one except my Mark II and older #1 and #3s needed some kind of work to make me satisfied. And I'd still buy more rugers in the future because they make interesting guns at a reasonable price. They aren't perfect, but then you aren't paying for perfection. Now, can we all play nice? We have more in common than not.

JBinMN
10-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Now my thread has really been side tracked and I wish I could delete it. I see another way to look at someone buying a bunch of product and saying they aren't perfect. With a little custom work a Ruger can easily be made into one of the finest guns out there. Look at the works of Dave Clements or Hamilton Bowen to name just a couple. These guys take a solid foundation (Ruger) and make them into something near perfection. I've owned my fair share of Ruger firearms and I am happy with most of them especially considering what I paid for them. Every one except my Mark II and older #1 and #3s needed some kind of work to make me satisfied. And I'd still buy more rugers in the future because they make interesting guns at a reasonable price. They aren't perfect, but then you aren't paying for perfection. Now, can we all play nice? We have more in common than not.

I have no trouble deleting my latest part of the sidetrack. Consider it done.
;)

TRX
10-03-2017, 08:37 PM
Rugerforum.net is a VerticalScope property. It exists to collect clicks for their "internet-based vertical marketing system."

VerticalScope seems to buy forums primarily on their domain names, looking for generics like "Ruger" or "powersports" or "deerhunting." Their typical MO is to slither in, negotiate with the owner in secrecy, then announce their takeover and start killing any threads that ask about what's going on. Earlier this year they bought a bunch of gun, car, and motorcycle related forums as a package deal from another aggregator, but they'll go after onesies if the domain name is attractive.

A few forums have managed to survive being Borged by VerticalScope, others just die off. The old content stays to drive search engines to their ads.

Kosh75287
10-03-2017, 08:49 PM
I was on that site for a while. Then, some elderly "gentleman" with apparently not enough things to fill his day commenced to get overly officious about the reloading data I posted, so I left.

Lloyd Smale
10-04-2017, 05:50 AM
Ive got a couple linebaughs 3 guns from dave clements, two from alan harton and one from bowen. Sure you can make them into a thing of art and precision but your going to double or triple what you have into that gun. Kind of like calling Jimmy Johnsons nascar ride a chev. Not much on that car that's on my chev's other then a bowtie. Most of the time all that's left ruger is the frame and its even modified. Cant hardly use those guns for an argument for the quality of ruger guns.

opos
10-04-2017, 10:45 AM
I had been on R/F.net for several years..I have a number of Ruger firearms and really like them...I also have CZ's, Smiths, Winchesters and Milsurps...enjoyed the reloading and gunsmithing posts but really enjoyed the "minefield"..it did get aggressive but I enjoyed it anyway...I was one of the more prolific posters with many friends and of course some "enemies" as well...and that's what makes a rodeo...it was the Minefield with a warning at the beginning about the content...frankly it was much milder than many of the "off topic" forums I've seen other places...

I got into a scuffle about 6 months ago...no threats, name calling or anything much aggressive but I did question a guy's age and experience about a matter...it up set the mod on the Minefield and he benched me for a month...first warning or benching in several years of posting...when it came time to be "allowed back" he said I was welcome back but "he'd be watching me"..don't need to be watched and I simply asked him to just ban me for life at my request...he did so...then I heard from a number of friends on the board that said they sure wished I'd be back that he had strictly forbidden me from posting for violations above the rules..so they can't even just say I didn't want to be part of the big eye in the sky waiting for any mistake.

Some nice folks there and some dolts...I go to .com on occasion and enjoy a few of the posters there...

Anyhow...plenty of places to go and look...this forum is the most adult of most that I've seen and some of the postings that are not of interest to me can easily just be overlooked...

Scorpion8
10-04-2017, 11:23 AM
I've had over a dozen Rugers and never have had to get one fixed or adjusted. Maybe I'm just lucky

Probably not. I've had the same experience...good firearms.

Ditto to both. My Rugers are all great guns, even after spring jobs and hammer replacements. But then 99% of the guns I own are trouble-free, and usually a good cleaning does wonders.

2ndAmendmentNut
10-10-2017, 02:46 PM
I really only frequent this forum, the S&W forum, and the SASS forum.

I used to be over on the Ruger, the AR15, the 1911, The High Road, 24hrCampfire, and the Marlin Owners forums. No bad experiences to me personally, but it did always amazing how within 3-4 posts a thread was completely off topic. In short I really just quit learning on the other forums. I do recall some pretty epic poop storms, but even that got old. The trolls and mall ninjas just seemed to try and one up each other.

three50seven
10-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Rugerforum.com was the first firearms forum I joined, almost 9 years ago. I don't know what sections you were posting under, but there are some extremely knowledgeable people on there. But, if you joined with the intent to whine and complain about how your brand new Ruger is a piece of junk, etc etc, you are going to be shown the door....Members there are sick and tired of people who just show up to complain. I've owned Ruger handguns and long guns for years, since I was a kid, and have never had to send one back for repair or had one malfunction beyond normal circumstances.

It's not the most up-to-date or active forum, but I still enjoy browsing through every couple days.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

birch
10-21-2017, 10:09 AM
The best thing about Rugers:

They are good guns that are cheap, they work well, and if you are a gun trader like me, there is always somebody willing to trade for a Ruger!!! ......and, if you decide that you want the gun again in 6 months, you can go buy a brand new one for little more than the used one you traded off in the first place!!
Did I mention the GP100 yet? Now that is one peach of a working man's gun.

**getting back to the OP---Has anyone tried Glocktalk? There are some smart and welcoming folks over there--if you are into plastic with your steel!

vzerone
10-21-2017, 10:25 AM
Come on, just about everyone loves the single action revolver. The four clicks and all, half cock to load and unload. So when Ruger came out with their Old Model, the three screws, everyone loved them. Me included. They were more durable then a Colt, had coiled music wire springs, you know. Then Ruger had to go to the new model and the hammer transfer bar thing. Now we have a VW Beetle build a Tiger tank frame....TOO BIG! To prove that point why do you think they came out with the Classic? Many were bemoaning the nice lighter four click early models and they are pretty brute strong so Ruger makes a few Classics. I was done with them. I never would buy one of their rifles. Their early rifles had so many barrel problems. Their firearms aren't total junk, but they sure are far from being the best out there.

Idaho45guy
10-22-2017, 09:54 PM
**getting back to the OP---Has anyone tried Glocktalk? There are some smart and welcoming folks over there--if you are into plastic with your steel!

Just stay out of the Okie Corral. The website was purchased from the original creator and has changed. There is a lot of trolling and flaming going on that is now tolerated. Ironic that the forum "Okie Corral" was named after a sweet and simple man who never uttered a mean word to anyone. Now the site is being tainted by a few vocal and outspoken "progressives". Too bad; most people there are very sweet and helpful, but more and more are leaving due to bad behavior by about half a dozen jerks that the moderators refuse to ban despite the same boorish behavior again and again.

The firearms related forums have some incredibly knowledgeable folks.

The original owner created a new site that is slowly gaining popularity and a bit more restrained: http://theboresite.com/

rintinglen
10-24-2017, 06:05 AM

My friend, you should be buying lottery tickets every chance you get. I am guessing that most if not all of your guns were acquired in the 20th century. Up until about 2005, Rugers were a good working man's gun, solid, reasonably accurate and reasonably priced. I think I had a dozen or so pass through my hands between 1973 and 1998 and all were good guns, but most of them didn't stick, because something else would land in my want locker and since "I could always get another Ruger." However, that is not my recent experience.

I have purchased 7 Rugers over the last 7 years, 3 went back, and a 4th should have. Two could not even chamber a factory round, and the third had over-sized cylinder throats. Both of my Single Sevens had issues with the loading gate being too shallow to allow a 327 case to chamber. My Ruger American was not finished chambered and would not allow the bolt to close on a factory round. A new Vacquero had throats larger than .460. I will no longer purchase any model of Ruger manufacture until it has been out for at least a year.

That said, I will still be buying Rugers. My 7 1/2 inch Single Seven is the apple of my eye after a trip to Ruger and a little trigger work. The replacement Ruger American 308 will shoot 3 shots into 1 and 1/8 inches--for less than 400 bucks new. My Ruger 44 Special flat top is the most accurate 44 Special I have ever owned, and one of the most accurate revolvers I have ever shot. It is great that Ruger's Service is so good, it is bad that it is so often needed.