PDA

View Full Version : Please explain "squib" to me.

Jeffery8mm
08-08-2008, 04:02 PM
I guess I always ASSUMED [you know what that means] that this was an underpowered load in which the bullet does not leave the barrel. What is the true meaning of this term.
Thanks
Jeff

jonk
08-08-2008, 04:15 PM
I would say it is just a round loaded lighter than the others in the batch. It may or may not leave the barrel.

Or?

JIMinPHX
08-08-2008, 04:27 PM
It can be an under powered load or a load with only a primer & no powder. Either way, it means that the boolit probably gets stuck in the barrel & after that, you don’t want to pull the trigger again. If you do, very bad things are likely to happen (boom).

John Boy
08-08-2008, 04:44 PM
A squib load, also known as a squib round, pop and no kick, or just a squib, is a firearms malfunction in which a fired projectile does not have enough force behind it to exit the barrel, and thus becomes stuck. This type of malfunction can be extremely dangerous, as failing to notice that the projectile has become stuck in the barrel may result in another round being fired directly into the obstructed barrel, resulting in a catastrophic failure of the weapon's structural integrity.[1]
Source: Wikipedia

rhead
08-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Back when, a squib was a deliberate low powered load that was below aproxamately 50% of a factory level load on down to a gallery load that was designed for indoor shooting, as opposed to a downloaded round ( 50% to full power). The exact cutpoints between these terms is usually somewhat fuzzy. A dud is an underpowered on non powered round that occures by mishap, malfunction of gun, component or loader error.
In recent decades the terms have been becoming synonymous through common usage. I have no idea when the changes began.

Scrounger
08-08-2008, 06:51 PM
We all know what a dud is. see below:

mike in co
08-08-2008, 10:18 PM
another misinformation from wickpediacrap.

i know some here knows the whole story....squibb is a last name Squibb.
the gentleman has some history with low powered or "squibb" loads....

you are correct about ASSuming you KNOW something.

mike in co

Newtire
08-08-2008, 11:31 PM
We used to hunt those things. Not hard to bring down so the loads aren't very powerful.

They taste alot like a cross between chicken & jackalope

JeffinNZ
08-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I have always taken "squib" as a reduced load generally in the rimfire range of velocity.

JohnH
08-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Scrounger,

Yes, but not so open that our brains fall out ;)

randyrat
08-09-2008, 06:45 AM
"Squib" pigeon- taste like chicken.

Bret4207
08-09-2008, 08:40 AM
The word now has two meanings- A squibb load is, as was mentioned, a low powered load. The original "Squibb" was a cast boolit (I think 311413, Floodgate would know) designed by a guy named Squibb. It had some amount of success on the range and was quite popular for a long time. I can only infer from reading old Rifleman magazines that it worked well in low powered loads also and the "Squibb" name morphed into a "squibb" load.

Scrounger
08-09-2008, 10:37 AM
"Squib" pigeon- taste like chicken.

I believe that pigeon is a "squab".

floodgate
08-09-2008, 11:32 AM
They are two different terms. The Ideal #311413 (and clones like the H&G #20 and the B&M #311169) was designed around 1920 by one Sam Squibb. But "squib" is an long-standing term for a low-level explosion. In addition to its usage in firearms with respect to light loads or incomplete ignition events, the smallest variety of blasting caps are also identified as "squibs". My wife's old Random House Collegiate Dictionary says: "...2. A firework...that burns with a hissing noise, usually terminating in a slight explosion....5. To explode with a small, sharp sound."

And "squab" IS a juvenile pigeon.

Fg