PDA

View Full Version : Another Lube Question

TXBRILL
08-08-2008, 03:15 PM
I am toying with the idea of buying one of those open top Cimmaron pistols in either .38 Special or 45LC. I would like to shoot BP cartridge loads in either one. I reload but do not cast. Can I use the same lead boolits I shoot with smokeless I buy from various sources that mostly have that blue lube or red lube in them or will this cause some leading problems. Is it ok to use the Pyrodex RS I have.
Also has anyone had any expierence with these pistols

thanks

Kraschenbirn
08-08-2008, 03:54 PM
A buddy has a Cimmaron "1871 Mason Conversion"...an 1860 Army factory converted to .44 Colt...and he shoots a 200 gr RNFP over 22 gr FFFg. Cases are made from .44 Spl cut to 1.50' length. Gun appears to be of excellent quality and shoots quite well.

However, for BP or Pyrodex, you're going to need boolits with a non-petroleum lube. When exposed to burning BP, petroleum-based lubes turn to a really nasty, crusty, hard fouling that makes cleaning your sixgun a genuine chore. If you're buying boolits, look for something lubed with SPG (or similar). If you're thinking of trying your hand at casting, this might be a good starter project: all you'd need to start would be a Lee mould, a ladle, and something to melt lead in. Cast your boolits from 30-1 alloy, pan-lube with a Crisco/beeswax mix, and load them "as-cast."...which is exactly what my friend does for his Mason/Colt .44 (and I too for my .44 Russian loads).

Bill

runfiverun
08-09-2008, 01:50 AM
i would bet that the ones you are buying are about 5 times harder then you need for this
pistol and would be a pain to load.
as close to pure lead as you can get is more what you want.
the b/p sub is probably okay, but the lubes that krashenbirn suggested are what you want.
as much to lube the boolit, but also to keep the powder fouling soft so it won't bind up your revolver.
the powder manufacturer probably has some suggestions that would be helpful also.