PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive eraser?

Wayne Smith
09-29-2017, 06:44 PM
We have a couple of old laptops and one upright computer to recycle - which can be done locally quarterly. At least the laptops need to be erased, I have confidential information from years ago on both laptops, no idea what LOML has put on the home computer but I know that no financial information is still on it.

Years ago a friend had a large magnet in a frame you can hold that was adequate to wipe a hard drive. Are these still available? I think I am capable of tearing the laptops apart to find the hard drive, no problem with the home computer. Neither of the laptops have been used for years, not sure I even have the charges any more. A manual (magnetic) scrambling is the best option for me.

I find nothing like what I remember on Amazon. What is availble that would do the job?

(Obviously a computer user, not expert!)

dragon813gt
09-29-2017, 06:53 PM
A few bullets will take care of them. And no, I'm not joking. A lot more messy than a magnet but also a lot more fun [emoji2]

Lead pot
09-29-2017, 06:54 PM
Just take the drive out and drive a punch or old screw driver through it a couple times and you might take the memory chips out and smash them too.

wch
09-29-2017, 06:55 PM
Remove the hard drive and put a couple of your favorite caliber bullets through it; unless an intelligence service or law enforcement agency is interested in those hard drives they'll be well "erased".

Hickory
09-29-2017, 07:05 PM
Remove the hard drive and burn it.

funnyjim014
09-29-2017, 07:15 PM
Old microwave, bonfire, shoot em, drive over them...the possibilities are endless lol

Grmps
09-29-2017, 07:18 PM
if you don't want to damage the laptop, you would need a DOD (Department Of defense) erase program. it deletes all the data on the hard drive then writes phony data on the whole drive multiple times making it practically impossibile to retrieve info from the drive.

If you want to salvage the laptop (keep it in 1 piece) remove the hard drive and memory sticks, destroy them and recycle everything (they can still melt the destroyed memory and Hard drive for the elements/material in them.

OR use the whole thing for shooting practice and finish off with a few rounds of 00 buck to make sure you got the HD and memory

ascast
09-29-2017, 07:25 PM
any good magnet will do like the one Home depot sold a few years ago, the closer you get to the drive, the weaker the magnet can be
or try Grmps suggestion to get wiping software that rewrites over the whole disk

meotai
09-29-2017, 07:38 PM
I don't think a magnet would do anything to the hard drive. There's already a super strong magnet inside the hard drive itself. You can destroy it physically, or use a software like dban or western digital's erase tool.

tommag
09-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Dariks boot and nuke (DBAN) used to be a free download and worked. Not sure if current versions work, though. It would erase, then overwrite the disc several times with random data.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrTccBQ2s5ZbhEA.uo3nIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByaDNhc2J xBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1506757329/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fdban.org%2f/RK=1/RS=WDZGabNCIkzBGPGgBjhu1pUgmpA-

DerekP Houston
09-29-2017, 07:45 PM
Dericks boot and nuke (DBAN) used to be a free download and worked. Not sure if current versions eork, though. It would erase, then overwrite the disc several times with random data.

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrTccBQ2s5ZbhEA.uo3nIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTByaDNhc2J xBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkAw--/RV=2/RE=1506757329/RO=10/RU=https%3a%2f%2fdban.org%2f/RK=1/RS=WDZGabNCIkzBGPGgBjhu1pUgmpA-

I've used DBAN myself, I also have access to enterprise software though and have used it in the past for 7 write overpasses that require a certificate after wipe (blancco). Keeping the harddrives and recycling the rest is much easier.

ShooterAZ
09-29-2017, 07:49 PM
I used a sledge hammer on mine.

Alstep
09-29-2017, 08:03 PM
Let Hillary handle your hard drive destruction, she's an expert!!!

SciFiJim
09-29-2017, 08:42 PM
Disassemble the hard drive to get to the magnets. There are a couple of strong magnets in each hard drive. Use the magnets for another project and smash the plates with a hammer.

MaryB
09-29-2017, 08:45 PM
Pull the drives, take them apart and use the platters in the garden as bird repellers. Or toss the platters in a fire, the heat will change the magnetic surface and wipe it. Or tear the magnet from the hard drive motor and run it over the platter surface in a crisscross pattern to wipe them. The magnets are handy in the shop, they have mounting holes on the backer so you can put one on a stick as a retriever, screw them to the wall to hold tools...

popper
09-29-2017, 09:19 PM
I just format them.

retread
09-29-2017, 09:35 PM
250 grain SWC's.

mjwcaster
09-29-2017, 09:36 PM
Popper, just a quick format will not make the data secure.
A simple format just basically clears the table of contents, leaving all the data in place.

That is the reason for special programs or physical destruction.
I have secured a few drives myself with the proper application of lead at high velocities.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

sparkyv
09-29-2017, 09:37 PM
Our IT department uses a sledge hammer. No joke.

Houndog
09-29-2017, 09:55 PM
My two best friends, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson, do a superb job taking care of hard drives I need to get rid of.

Hannibal
09-29-2017, 10:00 PM
Remove the hard drive and burn it.

^^^ This ^^^^

DerekP Houston
09-29-2017, 10:01 PM
Our IT department uses a sledge hammer. No joke.

One of the places I worked had what we called the "ghost busters" vault. Was a heavy degaussing device that ruined any disk. The warranty department hated it but it ensured there was nothing useful on the drive.

David2011
09-29-2017, 11:12 PM
I just format them.

That is recoverable. Not secure at all.

Just take the drive out and drive a punch or old screw driver through it a couple times and you might take the memory chips out and smash them too.

No point in destroying the memory chips. Everything in memory goes away every time the computer is turned off. Memory and hard drives are very different.

OptimusPanda
09-29-2017, 11:21 PM
I've always been a fan of taking them apart for the neodymium magnets inside. From there you can abuse the platters any way you like. Everything from a hammer to thermite works really well.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-29-2017, 11:26 PM
Paging Hillary Clinton...Come to the office right away...

...and bring the bleachbit

smokeywolf
09-29-2017, 11:51 PM
hillary and billary's 2 favorite methods for destroying evidence are, suicide by way of three bullets to the back of the head followed by a car accident or,,, Bleachbit.

DougGuy
09-30-2017, 12:41 AM
remove drives, drill a few holes OR simply locate where the drive is in the laptop and drill the whole dang thing with a drill press if you have one. Fastest simplest most effective method if they won't boot anymore.

Traffer
09-30-2017, 05:14 AM
I am a Certified PC Tech. So you can rely on my advise. Question, do you want to reuse the hard drives or just make sure the info on them is destroyed?
It is simple to erase drives. The connections (unless they are quite old, like early XP or earlier models) on the hard drives are the same as the ones on your PC. You can take the hard drives out and plug them into any PC and erase them. You can use many different levels of erasure depending on how secure you want to do it. Actually just erasing it and writing over the erased drive for a while is quite secure.
If you don't care to reuse the drives...like most here have said. Bullets, hammers, etc., all work just fine to secure data so no one ever sees it again. Just make sure you mess up the disks themselves. For that matter if you take a hard drive apart and wipe it with your finger it will destroy the data.
One word of caution. A magnet will not work. I have never heard of a magnet being able to erase a hard drive from the outside of the drive. As far as I am concerned it is a myth. Probably from the old floppy drive days. Now floppies were susceptible to being destroyed by magnets as are tape drives. But hard drives? Not so much.
I ALWAYS open up hard drives and save the neodymium magnets. I have lots of them all over the place. They come in handy for lots of stuff. Hard drives are usually put together with very small torx screws. I forget the actual sizes. They have become pretty standardized to include a very very tiny size and one size bigger. You can get a cheap kit of torx drives from Wallmart for about 5 bucks that will include the right sizes.

Wayne Smith
09-30-2017, 08:01 AM
I've got all the bits I'll ever need - and multiples of some! That's not the problem. Disassembly and destruction is the plan. Thanks, guys.

mold maker
09-30-2017, 09:13 AM
The ram memory might be added to a newer PC and add to standard. Most have empty slots available. The HD with an external case becomes a backup memory when added to your new PC.
Just because it is dated, means only it's proven it's self. There is still value in them above scrap.

mac60
09-30-2017, 10:02 PM
Let Hillary handle your hard drive destruction, she's an expert!!!

Yea, I think she uses a cloth or something.

country gent
09-30-2017, 11:59 PM
Mix some tannerite up and set hard drive in it. then shoot. Should do the job

Three44s
10-01-2017, 01:08 AM
Mrs. Slick Wiley and her favored Bleach Bit.

If she is not available, it is said that you can call the FBI and convince them it's a left over from the beast and they will destroy it convincingly. In the absence of Mr. Comey I would send it to Robert Mueller. He is quite loyal to the deep State and surely put it to rest at once.

Thre44s

Lloyd Smale
10-01-2017, 05:40 AM
wood chipper

sqlbullet
10-01-2017, 01:05 PM
There have been a mix of good answers, fun answers and bad answers here.

Practical matters:

Securely erasing a hard drive is time consuming. And for recyling, who cares if the drives are in the computer. Remove the hard drive and use it for target practice. Fun, effective.

If someone else reading this thread actually needs to retain a functioning drive, first choice would be to just replace it. A 500 GB drive is <$30 at walmart. And securely erasing a 500 GB drive will take several hours.

One comment was to just format the drive. Let me elaborate on why that is a bad idea.

Imagine for a moment that your hard drive is a big room full of file cabinets. But instead of items being placed in alphabetical order in the cabinets, the cabinets are numbered, the drawers are numbered, and the drawers are marked in 1/4" increments from left to right. When new papers need filed they are placed in the first available space where they will fit, and a paper by the door is marked showing the name of the file and the cabinet, drawer and inch increment where the file folder was placed. It was done this way so you would never had the issue of a file not fitting because the "S's" or the "R's" filled up while the "X's" are completely empty.

Formatting the drive is the equivalent of burning the paper by the door, but leaving all the stuff in the cabinet. The old files only get removed when you need to put a new file in that place, when you remove just enough of the old paper for the new file to fit. Anyone who wanted could rebuilt the index paper by just examining each folder.

Secure format options overcome this by over-writing the entire drive. However, "ghost" magnetic images can remain. Hence the existence of 3 pass and 7 pass secure erase. This is like obscuring writing on a paper by writing over it. Write enough random letters over the original letter and it eventually becomes impossible to read the original words.

For a machine going to recycle, just physically destroy the drives. Screws, gunshots, nails. Anything that physically damages the surface of the platters will do.

MaryB
10-01-2017, 09:55 PM
Why I pull the platters... I always recover the magnets and taking the platter out is easy. Heat WILL destroy the magnetic pattern on them, could run a sander over the top and rough it up(the magnetic layer is very thin)... collect enough and sell them for platinum recovery!

Hannibal
10-01-2017, 10:43 PM
the only actual way to destroy data on a hard drive is to take the hard drive apart, and turn the disks into a powder.

fire, magnets, do nothing.

I beg to differ. NOTHING survives fire, given that the fire is hot enough.

OptimusPanda
10-02-2017, 12:52 AM
Please post the name of this magical company that can take the melted platters and make them anew.

Traffer
10-02-2017, 03:55 AM
sorry but there is a company that can get data off of FLOPPY disks and Hard drives that have gone through fires. Even thermite. and even magnets.

The only real way is to turn the whole caboodle into dust, then do your melty fun. like trying to cast bullets ya know...

This is what happens when you believe everything you hear. For ALL PRACTICAL PURPOSES unless you have some really really valuable information on your hard drive that some one would spend a lot of time and energy to get at, if you want to actually reuse an old hard drive (which you probably won't because they are probably hopelessly small by current standards) all you have to do is format it and start writing over it in your home PC. After writing over it for a couple of weeks the old data will be lost. Nothing magic, Nothing spooky or CIA-ish. I have done some data recovery myself with some of the sophisticated software out there. It is very time consuming. Nobody is going to undertake doing it to see some joe-blow's family pictures or get joe's old banking statements. Platters can be removed and read from damaged hard drives. But it is very very difficult and there are not many labs in the country that even do it. Just to remove a platter from a hard disk without upsetting the data is like brain surgery. It is funny how people, corporations freak out about destroying their hard drives. When hard drives were very expensive and there was a demand for used ones companies still went to crazy lengths to have them destroyed. I had a friend that owned a computer re-use, recycling company that would offer to slice them in half with a band saw with a rep from the company watching. But nowadays with the price of hard drives, SSD's, cloud storage, etc., used hard drives are not worth reusing. They do however contain very nice magnets. And, as rotational drives are replaced by solid state drives, magnets are going to become things of the past. They will have value. Save them. They are useful. The platters are nice and shiny. They ring nicely when used as wind chimes. They can be used to scare birds off (as someone said) and they can be used as nice targets, visible for long distances. I save them for a woman in my family who makes mobiles and wind chimes out of them.

Traffer
10-02-2017, 03:59 AM
Why I pull the platters... I always recover the magnets and taking the platter out is easy. Heat WILL destroy the magnetic pattern on them, could run a sander over the top and rough it up(the magnetic layer is very thin)... collect enough and sell them for platinum recovery!

I looked it up, there is about 10 cents worth of platinum on a typical hard drive.

sqlbullet
10-02-2017, 10:43 AM
There must be a fortune to be made in buying rubbermade containers made from recycled pastic! All that sensitive data is still there somewhere.

Seems like someone took the quantum no-deleting theorem a little too literally.

white eagle
10-02-2017, 11:16 AM
give ol Hillary a call
she should fix you up
or a couple of rounds from your favorite deer rifle will do

Johnch
10-02-2017, 06:49 PM
I use my Wood Furnace
Toss the hard drive into it after I add wood

When I clean the ashs out , the remains of the hard drive are all melted

Oh I also remove the magnets for other uses first

John