PDA

View Full Version : Been Busy not shooting.

frkelly74
09-28-2017, 07:45 PM
Since we moved and bought a large fixer upper project in Saginaw here I have not had time to get any shooting done, or even to find a place to cut loose at. But we are gradually getting the house turned into a home, one room at a time. And we are getting the place tightened up in case it turns cold, which I hear it might any day now. We had the unfortunate experience of getting a bicycle stolen last night. I had the car pulled halfway into the garage to work on it and didn't get it done so I left the lights on and went to bed. About 4:30 this morning I heard a loud car and looked out the window and the motion detector light was on. So I went out and looked around no one was there and I noticed that the newer bicycle was nowhere to be seen, not where I left it. So I guess they found us and I will be much more careful now. Part of the project is getting the garage so we can put at least one car inside and I can lock it up pretty tight. I need to take a trip down to the police and get my guns registered one of these days, I would not want to shoot an intruder with an unregistered hand gun.

Boaz
09-28-2017, 07:53 PM
Just curious but what do you have to do to register ? I live in Texas and no registration is required .

frkelly74
09-28-2017, 08:01 PM
Handguns. Florida did not have registration either, I hope i DON'T GET HASSELED.

Hannibal
09-28-2017, 09:08 PM
Wow. What a 'Welcome' to the neighborhood.

Hope this willl prove to be an isolated incident.

Big "D"
09-28-2017, 09:54 PM
I was born and raised just west of Saginaw. Do not leave anything out or the garage open. Should not have an issue registering the handguns as I had to go same when I returned from the Navy.

historicfirearms
09-29-2017, 08:35 AM
You don't have to go to the police station to register if you have a CPL. Just fill out the RI60 form as both buyer and seller and mail it in. If you have a CPL from another state, you don't even technically have to register them. Go on the Michigan gun owners website for discussion on that subject.

lightman
09-29-2017, 08:54 AM
What a rude welcome to the neighborhood! It sounds like you will have a comfortable home when you get it finished. Hopefully you can harden it up enough so that the thugs go elsewhere. Please consider installing an alarm system and a safe.

bedbugbilly
09-29-2017, 09:33 AM
Sorry for the rude welcome to the state of Michigan. It may grind some that handguns have to be registered in MI, ut it can also help in getting them back if stolen (not always but sometimes). If your bike walked away, the same could happen to your firearms if broken in to when not at home. Don't know how long you've been there but if that happens, the boys in blue may ask why you hadn't registered them yet.

Regardless of what the law says, remember that it's the interpretation of it by individuals who may not be as well versed as others as to the problems it can cause before it get's cleared up.

It's a lot easier than it used to be when you had to go to LE, pick up the forms, have them run a background (this was before we got the CPL), take them to the FFL, have 'em filled out and then return a copy. A number of years ago, I had several that had been given to me as people passed away - never registered. I went in to the LE, explained what I had and it was no big deal at all. They ran the serial # to make sure they weren't stolen and then registered them. People move in to the state all the time and registering the handguns that come with them is normal business.

Like I said, a person might not agree with all of it but that's the way it is.