PDA

View Full Version : well its official Bass Pro shops now owns Cabelas

Smoke4320
09-27-2017, 01:04 PM
http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/09/25/bass-pro-cabelas-complete-merger.html

well its official Bass Pro shops now owns Cabelas

Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s (CAB) put the finishing touches on their merger Monday, announcing the completion of a $4.2 billion deal to combine the two outdoor retailers.

Springfield, Missouri-based Bass Pro, which also owns boat maker White River Marine Group and outdoor-themed resorts, has said it will continue to run Cabela’s as a standalone brand.

“We are excited to unite these iconic American brands to better serve our loyal customers and fellow outdoor enthusiasts,” Bass Pro founder and CEO Johnny Morris said. “As we move forward, we are committed to retaining everything customers love about both Bass Pro Shops and Cabela’s by creating a ‘best-of-the-best’ experience that includes the superior products, outstanding customer service and exceptional value our customers have come to expect. We’re also deeply motivated by the potential to significantly advance key conservation initiatives.”

The companies first announced in October 2016 that Bass Pro would acquire the publicly traded Cabela’s Opens a New Window. , which has seen a decline in sales amid broader struggles in the retail industry. After initial hiccups to the agreement, Bass Pro and Cabela’s agreed to a lower sale price of $61.50 a share and arranged to split Cabela’s banking unit. Synovus Capital (SNV) reached a deal to buy the assets and deposits of World’s Foremost Bank, while Capital One (COF) is buying the credit card business.

Tripplebeards
09-27-2017, 01:08 PM
I got the email a few days ago. I called my cabelas Visa card company back last October to make sure I wasn't getting boned out of the $500 with of club points I accumulated.

308Jeff
09-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Cabela's prices will be through their 50' high roof in no time!

Hannibal
09-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Last time I was in a Bass Pro, powder was nearly $40/lb for 1 lb containers. I left immediately without even looking at anything else. Last time I was in a Cabela's, the prices for 1lb containers were close to what I would call 'normal', or around $27/lb.

I guessing prices will follow those at Bass Pro, and not Cabela's.

Looks like I'll be buying my stuff online.

BK7saum
09-27-2017, 02:45 PM
I'll have to shop elsewhere if pricing follows bass pro. I quit Bass Pro about 20 years ago due to being able to find what I want about 25% cheaper at other retailers or online. I still go by a few times a year with the family, but we usually walk out without buying anything.

Larry Gibson
09-27-2017, 03:38 PM
Was in the BPS in Tacoma and Cabela's in Lacey (20 miles south) a couple months ago. Prices were noticeably higher in the BPS for the same items. Cabela's prices were never the greatest but they did have a good selection and in stock items most of the time. I'm hoping BPS won't make Cabela's increase their prices but not holding my breath......

bob208
09-27-2017, 06:50 PM
I was in a bass pro shop one time. I lost nothing there so I will never have to go back. same with Wal-Mart. I will deal on line and the local mon and pop shops.

Beagle333
09-27-2017, 07:17 PM
Cabelas was always much cheaper than Bass Pro. We have a Bass Pro near here and it has been much cheaper to order from Cabelas on every black powder gun I have ever bought, even with shipping. I can't remember Bass Pro having any sales on those items. Cabelas has revolver deals scattered throughout the year.

kens
09-27-2017, 07:37 PM
My biggest beef about BPS is their house brand junk. Their saltwater fishing house brand stuff is just plain junk, a waste of time.
their powder is overpriced.

DerekP Houston
09-27-2017, 09:14 PM
Yep another loss here for us, I imagine Bass Pro will raise Cabelas prices to match, no more 19.99 primer brick sales or decent prices on powder. My son really enjoys the fish tanks and stuffed displays so we wander around each of them quite a bit but I haven't found anything worth buying in awhile.

I generally just order online in bulk but it was nice to have a single lb of some powders to try instead of ordering a large jug and rolling the dice.

dragon813gt
09-27-2017, 09:55 PM
The smart move would be to keep them the way they are. They have different customer bases. I'm not a fan of either store. But I've bought a good bit of guns from Cabelas. Was there at the right time and every now and then you can get deals on used guns. And unlike most retailers Cabelas didn't raise their prices post Sandy Hook or through the component shortage. They have never been the cheapest but their prices are stable.

Cabelas brought this on themselves w/ rapid expansion. The new combined company has to worry about the Field and Stream stores. Prices are cheaper then either Bass Pro or Cabelas. And the clothing is of almost the same quality. It's a shame what happened to the Cabelas brand clothing over the years. I wont buy any of it anymore.

smoked turkey
09-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Yes this is a sad day for gun toting sportsmen. I almost never go into the local BPS. That said the Springfield MO store has a wonderful gun museum. It is worth going to see. Other than that BPS prices are always out of line of other shops. I have always enjoyed going into a Cabela's store when near one and have purchased a few items. I too am thinking that prices will go up both places now that BPS has effectively removed the "competition".

osteodoc08
09-28-2017, 10:44 AM
It really is a shame. I have a Cabelas about an hour from me and enjoyed browsing around and looking through their gun library. Mostly overpriced but sometimes find a deal. I bought a new looking Kimber Gold Match (70 series) for right at $700 a few years ago. About $400 less than new and without the series II junk.

FISH4BUGS
09-28-2017, 12:57 PM
I have to say that I have never been in either store.
All I ever need is on line, at the Kittery Trading Post (Kittery Maine), Renaissance Arms (Barrington NH) or Shooter's Outpost (Manchester NH).