PDA

View Full Version : The smell of cosmoline in the evening

Love Life
09-23-2017, 11:32 PM
I have been prepping all of my dies, presses, and other assorted metal tools for long term storage. Up to 3 years ( I'll be glad when I'm retired).

I spent awhile researching long term storage and kept coming back to cosmoline. I ordered a gallon and a half and have been dipping stuff in it.

I highly suggest you don't wear your Sunday's finest if doing this, lol.

In about 3 years y'all may want to buy stock in mineral spirits since that's what I'll be using to clean it off, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buckwheatpaul
09-24-2017, 06:54 AM
Love Life the 3 years will go in a blink of the eye....yet to have your equipment in good shape will be priceless.....good luck brother! Paul

funnyjim014
09-24-2017, 08:41 AM
Every once in a while I get some parts at work covered in cosmo.... people look at me funny as I shove my nose in it and take a deep breath. The smell brings back so many wonderful memories

lightman
09-24-2017, 08:56 AM
I hope the three years pass quickly. Be Safe!

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-24-2017, 09:37 AM
I have fond memories of cleaning up a case of SKS rifles back in the first clinton era.

country gent
09-24-2017, 12:06 PM
The cosmoline we used at work was stiff enough that when we remove it a couple cuts and it would peel off with a simple wipe down needed. We used a slow cooker to melt it and coated reqround end mills, gages, preccision parts, and things for storage in the parts crib. One trick is a short dip makes for a thicker coating a longer dip time allows the part to warm and more to run off before it cools and solidifies.

samari46
09-24-2017, 10:54 PM
Still remember the cosmoline smell you had in old gunshops that sole mil surp rifles. Not too many of the old shops around. Frank

woodbutcher
09-26-2017, 01:08 AM
:wink: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes.I remember it well.Bought a really pristine 98 Mauser marked 1918 on the receiver.(paid 12.50 for it)Yeah,it was that long ago.Maybe 50 years ago.What a mess to get it clean.Almost two weeks of scrub,scrub.scrub.Even with soaking it between scrubbing in mineral spirits.Dad stood back and laughed the whole time.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

lightman
09-26-2017, 06:07 AM
Still remember the cosmoline smell you had in old gunshops that sole mil surp rifles. Not too many of the old shops around. Frank

Talk about fond memories! I miss those old shops.