PDA

View Full Version : Alas, goodbye reloading!

handyrandyrc
08-07-2008, 07:46 PM
I've had a problem that I have finally traced down to reloading. I've had a severe nickel allergy in the past, had to completely cut off a silver ring that I wore (this happened years ago). It seems, that while rare, I am also having a severe reaction to handling the brass. I've stopped and started reloading several times the past month to really determine what was happening.

Every time I reload, no matter what I do, my hands break out in contact dermatitis, with pustles forming and bursting all over my hands/fingers. If I stop loading for a week or so, things clear up and go back to normal. The very EVENING I handle brass to start loading again, I get the painful pustules again, and a complete cycle starts again. I don't quite understand it, as brass is copper and zinc -- allergy to those metals seems quite rare. But even silver had enough to swell my finger up to where I had to cut a ring off.

Alas, I am also severely allergic to latex gloves. Tried cotton gloves, they still don't protect enough. Nitrile gloves are okay, but don't breathe, and my hands end up sloppy after 10-15 minutes of usage -- quite an irritating cycle I've been through. With a heavy heart, I am going to pack up my goods, and sell off. I'll keep loaded ammo on hand to shoot from time to time, but I am going to have to call it quits on the reloading.

As a result, I'll be putting my goods up for sale, so keep an eye out on the for sale forum. I'll have a turret press, 5 sets of dies, plenty of brass, and even some good lead slugs up for grabs. I'll continue to stick around and learn and visit, but will probably be more aloof than I have been in times past. You are a great group of friends, and while the hobby has become a real passion for me, it also affects me in a negative way, and I have got to stop my exposure.

longbow
08-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem.

Don't know if you have thought about it or are particularly interested but there is always muzzleloading. It would keep you casting and in the sport anyway without the cartridges to handle.

A rifle with all iron trim would keep you away from brass.

Take care.

Longbow

John F.
08-07-2008, 08:01 PM
That is terrible news!! :( I feel for you! I hope it will get better somehow, and wish you all the best!

John

10-x
08-07-2008, 08:05 PM
+1 for the muzzle loading aspect, sorry you have this problem but dont give up the sport completely:-D

Steelshooter
08-07-2008, 08:09 PM
How do you handle loaded ammo without breaking out? Could it be caused by case lube, tumbler dust, or even the gun powder? Something to look into.
Chuck

No_1
08-07-2008, 08:11 PM
Randy,

Try wearing the cotton gloves with the Nitrile gloves over top of them. Or maybe even some type of goertex (sp?) gloves. You are a reloader. Just like anything else, there has got to be way around this. Don't give up yet.

Robert

cbrick
08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Wow, now that's a real bummer. What do the docs have to say about this? Seems there should be something that could be done,.

If that happened to me they may as well just shoot me and get it over with.

Rick

Cloudpeak
08-07-2008, 08:15 PM
When I was building airplanes and working with fiberglass resin (polyester and epoxy), I used a barrier cream on my hands that worked very well. I also used it when twisting wrenches on dirty stuff (working on car/truck/machiery). Oil, grease, resin, etc. washed right off with water but was untouched by other chemicals. You might look into this. It might solve your problem.

I'll be darned if I can remember the brand name of the product that I used but perhaps a search would turn up something suitable. I found this as an example:

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/16953

Cloudpeak

docone31
08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
Man, that sucks!!!!
Being a jeweler, I see that a lot. It seems we turn a bend in our life and suddenly things change.
That would be like going through a divorce to me. I may not be all that good at all of this, but, I have spent a dominant part of my life being involved in one way or another.
Reloading might not work out so well for you, but, I hope you can find someone who will work with you on load development. Kinda of a trade. Your expertise, and entheusiasm, for their doing your loads as well.
I have seen these allergies really talk out loud. In no time also. We watch people put an ear wire through their piercing and in minutes the ear looks like an apple!
My heart really goes out to you. I know what the loss has done to me in the past.
The wife(s) left, but, they did not have to take my reloading stuff! I would have given the wife(s) away, I would have dropped them off, and their stuff! Why take my reloading stuff?
Arghhh.
Hang in there.
Let yourself heal.

jonk
08-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Straight walled steel boxer primed pistol cases can be reloaded... not as many times as brass, but still....

How about natural rubber gloves? Hard to find but not latex.

Bill*
08-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Cloudpeaks idea might work. I just went down in the shop and found a dirty old 1/2 tube of "No. 7" invisible glove. Coupla coats of this might do the trick. I'll clean it up and mail it if you want to try it! It's made by Borden Co. of Columbus Ohio (home and professional Products Group) 43215. Cant remember where I got it but it must be around.....Bill

whisler
08-07-2008, 09:29 PM
+1 on using cotton gloves under nitrile or rubber. I once worked processing plutonium and we had to work in lead-loaded rubber gloves. They issued cotton mesh gloves to wear under the rubber ones and they greatly reduced sweating of the hands. Give it try, can't hurt.

Bill*
08-07-2008, 09:36 PM
This is it with a slight label change at the top:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Magic-5215-Invisible-Glove/dp/B000BPEPA0
even the hand on the tubes the same-just doesn't say "No. 7"

leadeye
08-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Protek was a product that we used in the paint industry, it was similar to "invisible glove". Worked very well as a lot of the stuff I used would give you a rash.

NSP64
08-07-2008, 10:03 PM
When I was building airplanes and working with fiberglass resin (polyester and epoxy), I used a barrier cream on my hands that worked very well. I also used it when twisting wrenches on dirty stuff (working on car/truck/machiery). Oil, grease, resin, etc. washed right off with water but was untouched by other chemicals. You might look into this. It might solve your problem.

I'll be darned if I can remember the brand name of the product that I used but perhaps a search would turn up something suitable. I found this as an example:

Cloudpeak

handyrandyrc, This stuff is invisa glove. I still work in the aviation industry and can get you some individual use packets to try.PM me your add if you want me to send you some. I lean toward steelshooter, if you can handle loaded ammo and not break out, it may be something you are using to clean your cases.

yondering
08-07-2008, 11:19 PM

Cloudpeak

We use some stuff at work called Dermashield that protects your hands pretty well.

08-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Wow. Never heard of an allergy to brass. That is a real bummer. Truely sorry to hear you will have to limit your involvement. These guys above have some real good answers. Hope somethiing works out. Best of luck.

DLCTEX
08-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Major Bummer! I hope you find a solution. My allergy to Corn is limiting, but yours would be debilitating. Hang in there. DALE

waksupi
08-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Got a wife or girlfriend who would load for you? They would, if they really love you.

I wonder if there would be some sort of laquer that could be sprayed on the cases, to make a barrier? I suppose that would create it's own problems, then.

MT Gianni
08-08-2008, 12:35 AM
I am 200 miles straight north of you and know that there must be some Boy Scouts around. What about getting some kids to do the loading process in exchange for a couple of hours range time with your guns? Gianni

copdills
08-08-2008, 03:25 AM
sorry to hear that, I wish you the best

Molly
08-08-2008, 03:47 AM
I've had a problem that I have finally traced down to reloading. I've had a severe nickel allergy in the past, had to completely cut off a silver ring that I wore (this happened years ago). It seems, that while rare, I am also having a severe reaction to handling the brass.

MAN!
What a bummer. But if I may toss in a couple of random thoughts to help ... A lot of allergies are triggered by overexposures. I once had a friend who worked with isocyanate resins day in and day out for years. Then one day, he walked in the lab and blossomed like a flower. They finally had to move him to a completely different building where no isocyanate work at all was done. Then he was fine.

That kinda suggests (to me) that it's just POSSIBLE that you've picked up a little more metallic contamination somewhere than your system will tolerate. You might discuss with your Dr., and see if he can run a couple of simple blood tests for metals contamination. It's a pretty common procedure: That's how they test for lead in your blood. If that's what's behind your reaction, there are chelation therapies that will reduce metal concentrations ...

Also, check out the materials you are having problems with: Very few industrial metals or personal jewelry are pure: Almost everything is adulterated for various reasons: Lower cost, improve tarnishing, etc. It's also just possible that your allergy is to only one metal like copper or zinc.

Good luck
Molly

Bret4207
08-08-2008, 09:20 AM
Jeeze! Thats too bad. Any chance an allegy Doc can provide some options? Maybe an herbalist? Sounds kinda kooky, but my wife is into that stuff and she's fixed a few odd issue related to allergies herbally.

Either way, you're still family, so don't be a stranger.

dromia
08-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Thats hard, you have my sympathy.

handyrandyrc
08-08-2008, 11:02 AM
THANK YOU THANK YOU for all of the advice. I had not thought of (or even knew about) some of these things. I'll give cotton/nitrile mix a try and give it a go. I'd also like to see how those barrier type creams (which I had no idea existed) work. I am going to read up more about them. Do they just go on, dry out, and then protect? I assume it must, but am curious to know.

I got home from work last night, and I had a little box from Lee Precision, some piece parts I had ordered a while back, that I had nearly forgotten. That box, combined with your comments and encouragement, have given me an extra bit of fortitude to figure this out.

Thanks for the idea on black powder as well. I had not seriously considered that.

I do use corn cob media (the Lyman green-flavored stuff) -- someone had said that they suffered from a corn allergy. I wonder if a change of media might help? I had not considered that possibility. More for me to think about.

Thanks again.

Randy

cbrick
08-08-2008, 11:22 AM
handyrandyrc,

It sounds as though you haven't seen a doctor about your allergy. They should be able to pin point just exactly what it is you’re allergic to, the brass? Tumbling media? A combination of different things combined? Seems to me getting it checked out is a cheap option compared to no handloading, casting, shooting. That's unthinkable.

Rick

Bill*
08-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Pm me your address if you want that tube of "Invisible Glove", and yes you just smear it on like hand lotion. It dries clear within a minute or so. Then it washes off with water when done.....Bill

RustyFN
08-08-2008, 01:39 PM
THANK YOU THANK YOU for all of the advice. I had not thought of (or even knew about) some of these things. I'll give cotton/nitrile mix a try and give it a go. I'd also like to see how those barrier type creams (which I had no idea existed) work. I am going to read up more about them. Do they just go on, dry out, and then protect? I assume it must, but am curious to know.

I got home from work last night, and I had a little box from Lee Precision, some piece parts I had ordered a while back, that I had nearly forgotten. That box, combined with your comments and encouragement, have given me an extra bit of fortitude to figure this out.

Thanks for the idea on black powder as well. I had not seriously considered that.

I do use corn cob media (the Lyman green-flavored stuff) -- someone had said that they suffered from a corn allergy. I wonder if a change of media might help? I had not considered that possibility. More for me to think about.

Thanks again.

Randy
Glad to see you're not giving up. I hope one of those suggestions works for you.
Rusty

pjh421
08-08-2008, 02:05 PM
How about some thin leather gloves?

Paul

scrapcan
08-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Maybe we have a dermatologist on board that could give you some guidance when talking to your local doc. If you were having issues that were dental related I have a friend that might be able to help, but no joy on dermatology questions.

MT Gianni
08-08-2008, 02:21 PM
How about some thin leather gloves?

Paul

I interchange between Goat skin and Goa skin gloves for a thin glove to work pipe and jump on a computer for testing. If my fat fingers can run a computer with gloves I think reloading should be possible. Gianni

Nueces
08-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Hey, if thin leather works for you, I can send you a pristine pair of flying gloves, size 9. Soft kidskin palms and nomex backs. They're washable (Woolite), so accumulation of allergens can be avoided. They make great driving gloves, too. I wouldn't want to handle single primers while wearing these gloves, but you could easily load them into feed tubes.

You sure got a bunch of good ideas from these guys, didn't you? I'd also rather see you knock over this obstacle than give up the hobby. Good luck to you.

Mark

legend
08-08-2008, 02:53 PM
i had the same thing,my dr. asked if i had just changed anything,i had ;it was the liquid i place on my corncob media.
i threw it all away and started fresh.

all the skin on my hands fell off,i lost my fingernails,toenails and my feet blistered but i did not lose the skin on my feet;the hands and feet are fine now,but,my dr. says now i have been exposed i have to be extra carefull as the body will recognise whatever it was and react faster the next time.

i had been useing my hands to seperate the brass from the corncob.
i thought i was the only one,i am sorry you have had a reaction,i have been there.

legend

pjh421
08-08-2008, 05:18 PM
MT Gianni,
What's goa? Is that some kind of killer snake or something? Good idea though.

Randy,
I try to minimize handling of any components just as a matter of speed and convenience. I started like everyone else, having to handle everything.

Have a look at your operation.& see whether there is anything you can automate. Sure, it will take a little money and maybe some ingenuity but in the long run its worth it.

Now I shoot more and take less time to get ready.

Paul

handyrandyrc
08-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Well, I'm going to try this barrier cream stuff as I prefer to work bare-handed. I'm also going to make a change with regard to tumbling media. I've used white rice in the past when I was out of corncob, so I may give that a shot again. I can also experiment with liquid tumbling to see if that changes anything.

Full review of the hand shield stuff will be posted. Thanks again -- I may also see a doctor to try narrow things down. Probably the best advice given yet.

Alchemist
08-08-2008, 06:37 PM
+1 on using cotton gloves under nitrile or rubber. I once worked processing plutonium and we had to work in lead-loaded rubber gloves. They issued cotton mesh gloves to wear under the rubber ones and they greatly reduced sweating of the hands. Give it try, can't hurt.

Same thing in the military with chemical warfare gloves...wear a thin cotton glove inside and it helps a lot. Look around surplus stores, you might be able to find some surplus chemical warfare gloves, and it might work for ya. Don't give up yet!

uncle joe
08-08-2008, 06:43 PM
+1 on No.1
we have gloves at work that have been dipped in nitrile or some such with stretchy base, should work great and absorb sweat. Gotta try something don't give up.
JE

No_1
08-08-2008, 07:05 PM
If I may suggest, you may also be alergic to the media polish if you are using any. I use Nu-Finshish car polish. Works just as good or better than the commercial brass cleaners and much less expensive to boot! You can get it at almost any auot store, Walmart or K-Mart. It may be easier on your skin.

Robert

Well, I'm going to try this barrier cream stuff as I prefer to work bare-handed. I'm also going to make a change with regard to tumbling media. I've used white rice in the past when I was out of corncob, so I may give that a shot again. I can also experiment with liquid tumbling to see if that changes anything.

Full review of the hand shield stuff will be posted. Thanks again -- I may also see a doctor to try narrow things down. Probably the best advice given yet.

docone31
08-08-2008, 07:27 PM
I use rice in my polisher.
Easy to get out, doesn't get in the primer hole.
If it is the media, switch to rice.
I do not think that is it though. A lot of times, medications excerbate allergic reactions.

Ricochet
08-08-2008, 07:36 PM
I've never polished a case in my life, and don't intend to start.

Powderpacker
08-08-2008, 07:52 PM
-- I may also see a doctor to try narrow things down. Probably the best advice given yet.
I wouldn't give an allergist or a dermatologist 100% confidence. I went through a series of allergy tests years ago and the results indicated I was "allergic" to a dozen or more different foods. I eliminated all of these foods from my diet for a long time and could see no improvment in my condition. Then I added the foods back into my diet one at a time and could see no worsening of my condition. I did see an improvement a year or so later when the stress levels in my life were lower. Bottom line - don't give up. "Allergic reactions" can be caused by all sorts of things, even your own body .

hornsurgeon
08-08-2008, 08:12 PM
that's too bad. you can't give up so easily. i use a type of glove duck hunting that may help. i bought them at scheels sports called "sealskins". they are thin, completely waterproof, but breathable. they might be the ticket. i think i paid $30 for my pair a few years ago.

Powderpacker
08-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Handyrandyrc -
Just had another idea - a flashback from my days in industry. If you find laytex, vinyl, etc. gloves control the allergic reaction but you can't get the moisture under control, you could try finger cots on just the fingers that come in contact with the 'bad stuff'. If you're not familiar with finger cots, they're like individual fingers from a glove - actually, they look like mini condoms. They're available in all the materials gloves are made in, even nitrile. Using them allows your hands and any un-used fingers to breath/evaporate moisture while the contact fingers are protected . Possibly one more option .

MT Gianni
08-08-2008, 09:11 PM
MT Gianni,
What's goa? Is that some kind of killer snake or something?

Paul

No idea, I think it's the Yellowstone Glove Company's product and thats whats on the tag. It is a very light tan almost white. They last a couple of months of hard sweatty use. Gianni

hcpookie
08-08-2008, 09:26 PM

Cloudpeak

Liquid Glove?

Jon K
08-08-2008, 10:35 PM
+1, same thing, had blisters on my hands, sometimes couldn't hardly grab things. I got a cream from the doctor, and slowed down on reloading due to other problems. When I started shooting more again, the problems haven't come back.

I think Powderpacker may have a good point about stress.......I also don't use the same media and additives for my brass, as I did before. I use straight walnut for smokeless cases, and ceramic for my BP cartridges.

I feel for you, I know how it feels, I hope you find a solution.

Jon

Bret4207
08-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Handyrandyrc -
Just had another idea - a flashback from my days in industry. If you find laytex, vinyl, etc. gloves control the allergic reaction but you can't get the moisture under control, you could try finger cots on just the fingers that come in contact with the 'bad stuff'. If you're not familiar with finger cots, they're like individual fingers from a glove - actually, they look like mini condoms. They're available in all the materials gloves are made in, even nitrile. Using them allows your hands and any un-used fingers to breath/evaporate moisture while the contact fingers are protected . Possibly one more option .

Little teeny, tiny condoms?!?! I might know of another use!:mrgreen:

buck1
08-09-2008, 03:42 PM
http://www.liquidgloves.net/

a link...

encoreman
08-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Handy Randy, Don't give up, try some of these ideas. Just changing a couple of items may solve the problem. Get 1 of your buddies to do most of the case prep or something. Heck send them to me, I will prep them and send them back. How about we all say a prayer for HandyRandy, I know that will help. Mac

whisler
08-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Prayer said!!!