PDA

View Full Version : Proud of my daughter!!!!!

Biggin
09-22-2017, 09:20 PM
My daughter is a senior in high school and the battalion commander of the JROTC at her high school . Today one of the cheerleaders showed up at school wearing a U.S. flag around her cheerleading skirt. My daughter asked the girl to remove it and explained why. To make long story short she was met with resistance. So she went to the office and explained the situation. To the schools credit, an announcement was made that this was not appropriate and would not be tolerated. The girl in question was made to remove the flag from around her waist.

dbarry1
09-22-2017, 09:25 PM
Way to go. You brought her up right. You should be proud. :O)

Iron Whittler
09-22-2017, 09:28 PM
You did a good job of instilling the values in Her. Congrats to you and her mother. If more parents took the time to teach their children right and wrong, this country wouldn't have near the problems. :bigsmyl2:

Finster101
09-22-2017, 09:32 PM
Sadly the cheerleader may have thought she was honoring the flag. Uneducated and stupid will not get you through life too well, sometimes pretty will.

Bzcraig
09-22-2017, 09:32 PM
Good on you and Good for her!

Biggin
09-22-2017, 10:15 PM
Thank you all very much.

skeettx
09-22-2017, 10:19 PM
Thank you!!!!
Mike

Col4570
09-23-2017, 09:39 AM
With no intention of offending anyone please explain to a non USA resident why it was regarded as unacceptable.Genuine question with no malice.

Smoke4320
09-23-2017, 09:50 AM
A National flag is to be respected .. worn partially obscured is a No No .. I have no issue personally if its a full flag representation on say the back or front of a T-shirt or jacket

The US Flag Code says, “The Flag Code addresses the impropriety of using the flag as an article of personal adornment, a design of items of temporary use, and item of clothing. The evident purpose of these suggested restraints is to limit the commercial or common usage of the flag, and, thus, maintain its dignity.”

So what does that mean? You should not use the American flag as an article of clothing. However, in 1976 an amendment was made that allowed uniforms for military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic groups to use a flag patch or pin near the left side, closer the heart.
But it is important to remember that the Flag Code is only intended as a guideline to be followed on a voluntary basis. The Code was originally created to ensure proper respect of our flag.

MUSTANG
09-23-2017, 10:06 AM
The use of bunting (Red, White , and Blue stripes and stars) as patriotic decoration goes back many years. It was a means of highlighting patriotic events without using the flag as a decorative item. Use of these elements for clothing or decor is acceptable, the cutting up/refabrication of the flag to accomplish a clothing, decorative item is not acceptable.

Some history on Flag desecration/display:

1897 – Illinois, Pennsylvania, and South Dakota adopt flag desecration laws. By 1932, all states would have them. In general, these laws ban placing any kind of marking on the flag, using it in any form of advertising, and defacing or mutilating it in any way.
1907 – The Supreme Court upholds state flag desecration laws against legal challenges.
1942 – President Roosevelt approves a federal code that outlines how the flag should be properly treated.

Texas v. Johnson, 491 U.S. 397 (1989), was a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States that invalidated prohibitions on desecrating the American flag enforced in 48 of the 50 states. Justice William Brennan wrote for a five-justice majority in holding that the defendant Gregory Lee Johnson's act of flag burning was protected speech under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. Johnson was represented by attorneys David D. Cole and William Kunstler.

Interesting how it took the Supreme Court over 200 years to decide that desecrating a US Flag was an acceptable action.

fatelk
09-23-2017, 01:34 PM
I've heard people over the years say that the hippie movement was actually patriotic; they must have been because you always see photos with flag patches in their jeans and such. It's surprising that so many people don't realize that that is actually a huge insult, intended to show their disrespect and hatred of the flag and all it represents.

Hamish
09-23-2017, 01:58 PM
Biggin,

Double kudos, how good it is to hear the HS JROTC is not extinct yet!

jonp
09-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Good for you. You raised her right. The flag is not just a representation of our country. It signifies all who have fought and died for our freedoms and stands as a beacon for Freedom the world over.

richhodg66
09-23-2017, 06:58 PM
I teach JROTC for a living so it's nice to see others recognize some of the good it does. In fact, I spent all day today with a big group doing some community service today. Good for your daughter.

bedbugbilly
09-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Don't know your daughter but I can tell you that "Dad" is not the only one proud of her!

The question form the member from England is a legitimate one and it was answered well.

You know, as a member of the Viet Nam generation - I well remember those who sewed the flag to their pants - usually on the back side - and I can remember a few of them getting their back side"whooped" because of it. Respect for our flag used to be a part of our education - but then so was the Pledge of Allegiance being said the first thing every morning, a flag in every classroom (usually furnished by the local American Legion or VFW) and a prayer. All things "removed" by the Left over the years. It's kind of odd though - I don't ever remember anybody being "offended" by those things in those days. Sure, we had one or two whose religion didn't allow them to do such things but they were respected for their beliefs and nothing was said - that's how it was in those days - you had "RESPECT" for others. And those kids who stood up every morning and put their hands over their hearts and said the Pledge? The same ones who bowed their heads in respect as the morning prayer was said before the beginning of the day? (In a PUBLIC school no less). Well, ovey time I put my hand over my heart and pay respect to the National Colors when I say the Pledge, or it goes by me in a parade, or when I hear the National Anthem and sing along with it? I get a tear in my eye and an ache in my heart for those early childhood friends of mine who gave their lives for our flag or who came hoe disabled because of their service - to me, that is what the red stripes in our flag represent.

So Kudos to you daughter sir - you brought her up right!

richhodg66
09-23-2017, 07:46 PM
In the public high school I teach at, the pledge is said every morning and kids take it seriously, not just the JROTC cadets. I've been out in the hall while it was being recited on the intercom and kids in the hall stop what they're doing, face the nearest flag and recite it.

In my class, we say it every class period followed by the cadet creed. I understand we are in a small GI town in a patriotic part of the world, but the point is not all public schools are the dens of leftists some seem to think they are, even today.

Biggin
09-23-2017, 08:50 PM
I want thanks everyone again for the replies. I also thank the members who explained it to the member from England. I actually have 2 daughters on JROTC now and couldn't be prouder. As my daughter likes to say"Those who disrespect our flag have probably have never had a relative come home under one."

buckwheatpaul
09-23-2017, 09:05 PM
I know you are as proud of your daughter as we are for dealing with an inappropriate display of Old Glory! Thank her and give her a hug for me/us!

KenH
09-23-2017, 09:14 PM
I'm so glad to hear all these good responses - it's aways sorta irked me a tad to see the flag used as clothing...... even thought so many folks these days think they're being patriotic. Dad, you did a good job.

texasnative46
09-23-2017, 09:33 PM
Biggin,

CONGRADS to your daughter & to you & your wife for raising her RIGHT.

yours, tex

lightman
09-24-2017, 09:03 AM
They are sweet girls! You should be proud.

bedbugbilly
09-24-2017, 09:05 AM
richhodge66 - My apologies if my comment rubbed the wrong way about schools as it wasn't intended to. I speak "in general" and that really isn't fair as there ARE public schools who still say the Pledge and instill Patriotism in their students. When I went and read your comments, I then looked to where you re located and a smile spread on my face -Kansas! Aha! Of course, because the traditional values still exist there as they should! And please folks, don't take that comment as a slam to those who live in other places as Patriotism DOES still exist among those there.

I'm from southern Michigan. My wife taught school for over 30 years and I was a teacher myself for a few years. For over 30 years, I had contact with a variety of schools, private and public, all over MI as i presented first person living history programs - mainly on the Civil War. I started doing them well over 40 years ago and in the time I was doing them, I witnessed many many changes in the public schools. My programs were done in "first person" and based on a soldier in the 24th Michigan (part of the Iron Brigade) from the time of his enlistment through the end of the Battle of Gettysburg where he was wounded, captured and eventually left by the Confederates in their retreat. My programs gave the students the opportunity to hear a true story, see a Civil War camp set-up with a dog tent, food cooking and a large display of Civil War artifacts that I displayed. I used to fire off blank rounds at some schools, we set up a Civil WWar day where we actually brought in a cannon to display and fire, taught the kids how to drill - basically try to bring history alive and spark and interest in what their ancestor's had gone through regardless of which side they may have chosen. They could touch and hold a musket, put on a frock coat and for many - that sparked a life long interest in history for them. In a little over thirty years of doing my programs, I went from that to the day I pulled in to a parking lot of a junior high where we had done the Civil War Days, etc. I was met by the principal who told me (and he was extremely embarrassed)= - he was a great guy and a Viet Nam vet) - he told me I could not bring my musket in to the school as a mother had gotten a court order against it. Evidently several months before, on Veterans Dy, the local Legion and come in and put on a nice program in the gym of the JH - in uniform - did some close order drill - a program on the importance to the day and what it meant and at the end, did a gun salute with blanks. The mother was extremely upset s her little boy was "exposed to dangerous guns" - thus when she heard I was coming, she went to court. When guns were officially "banned" from school grounds - I had to contact the Prosecuting Attorney of several counties to get an opinion/permission to bring a musket on to school property - most were scratching their heads when I contacted them about it as they really saw no issues - but all it took was one parent to cause a problem - and as a result of such things, I refused to go to some schools.

In that time, I also saw a gradual decline in such things as the Pledge - some schools the flags disappeared from the classrooms, etc. The kids? For the most part they were enthusiastic and loved the programs I put on - lots of interest and questions and for many, it "sparked" their interest to read more. But - it was very evident over those years that more and more of the political issues were ending up in school as well and influencing a lot. More and more, the teacher's hands were being tied as to what they could and couldn't do and more requirements put on for basically BS that took away from "teaching time". And in the end - who really suffers? It's the kids.

So richhodg66 - kudos to you and all of the schools, public and private who still do things such as the Pledge, teach history and instill a sense of Patriotism in their students. . . . . not to mention such things as "right and wrong" and most of all "respect". Too many lack "respect" and feel "entitled" to do and say as they wish, hiding behind such things as the 1st Amendment - if a person has something to say or disagrees - there is a difference in how it is said and their actions - do it with respect for others and you will receive respect back - act like an entitled baby and that is what others view you as. Again, when I see the red stripes of our National Colors, I see the blood of those who died for the freedoms we have in this country. Kids . . . and adults . . . need to remember that they only have what they have because of the men and women who gave . . . and are still giving the supreme sacrifice to preserve those things.

And I'll end my little dissertation with this . . . I'm considered an "old fogey" these days . . . but as an "old fogey", I'll say this . . . a lot of kids get a bad rap because of the actions of a few . . . that's sort of "human nature". But there are a heck of a lot of good kids out there today who have been brought up right and who do good things. A couple of years go, I was up on the Air Force base in Tucson with a friend of mine who is retired AF. I rode along and waited as he needed a few things at the BX and was going to get a haircut. I sat and had a cup of coffee in the coffee shop area and watched the people coming and going. Many were young families with kids - either one or both parent in uniform. I visited with a couple in the next table over and both were in the service. Anyone who bad mouths the young people based on the actions of a few "yahoos" needs to spend some time on a military base and watch these young people come and go. They take their jobs seriously, they may be off duty but they are sitting in the coffee shop studying, etc. It certainly restores your faith in the "good ones" who are serving and do so voluntarily because they love this country and are willing to write a check for their lives if called upon to do so.

richhodg66
09-24-2017, 09:53 AM
I did this for a more urban school district for four years and they didn't say the pledge every morning (we said in in JROTC class of course). This school district I'm in now has a better mind set about pretty much everything. It still maintains a strong vocational program whioch many schools don't anymore. Very active auto tech program, a welding class and a wood shop that actually builds a house they sell in the community every year.

One thing I really do like about my current school is every student has to complete 35 documented hours of community service to graduate. They take this seriously and won't give a kid a diploma if they haven't done it. This is apparently pretty unusual among public high schools.

I'm sure where I live is the exception rather than the rule, but good public educations still does exist in some places. My kids are grown now, but I do think if I had it to do over again, in most places I'd look at private or parochial schools or even consider home schooling with some of the things you read about going on in school districts, but here, it seems pretty good still.

Col4570
09-24-2017, 06:23 PM
Thank you gentlemen for the explanation and will say that it is good that respect is shown for your national flag.On this side of the Pond we also respect our National Flag that is a Combination representing England,Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.Respect for traditional emblems is one of the foundations of democracy.

Handloader109
09-24-2017, 08:41 PM
In the public high school I teach at, the pledge is said every morning and kids take it seriously, not just the JROTC cadets. I've been out in the hall while it was being recited on the intercom and kids in the hall stop what they're doing, face the nearest flag and recite it.

In my class, we say it every class period followed by the cadet creed. I understand we are in a small GI town in a patriotic part of the world, but the point is not all public schools are the dens of leftists some seem to think they are, even today.

Actually amazed me when I first saw that a local TV station has each weekday a different School class videoed reciting the pledge. Usually lower grade, but every week day..

richhodg66
09-24-2017, 10:43 PM
WIBW in Topeka does this at least it's pretty frequent. Not sure if it's every day.