PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Davenport, Iowa

Kevinakaq
09-22-2017, 08:12 PM
Looks like I am accepting a job in Davenport Iowa and turning down an opportunity in York, PA. Was a hard choice to make as was moving from NH which I have enjoyed living in during the last three years. Was laid off along with most of the employees a couple months back due to investment company moving manufacturing south. No complaints and happy to have plenty of choices available in this strong job market.

Anyway, what can anyone tell me about Davenport/Quad city area? Shooting ranges (rifle and pistol - outside), hunting in Iowa, life in general. Will be moving out with my fiance in a couple weeks and she will continue her RN classes there. Have talked and searched the net but looking to listen to people who have or are living there.

Thanks for any and all insights,
Kev

Kraschenbirn
09-22-2017, 09:09 PM
Grew up a little ways to the north of that general area but not terribly familiar with Davenport/Bettendorf, per se. Only solid advice I can offer is to be sure your driver's license address in on the Iowa side of the Mississippi...Iowa may be something of a 'blue state' but you want absolutely nothing to do with the broke-d**k State of Illinois!!

Bill

Epd230
09-22-2017, 10:33 PM
Illinois sucks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

big bore 99
09-22-2017, 10:41 PM
Moved out of Illinois over 30 yrs ago and never been back since.

Kevinakaq
09-22-2017, 10:43 PM
No intention of moving to south side of the river and into IL. Same reason I worked in MA, refused to live there, and commuted from NH.

Iowa Fox
09-23-2017, 02:05 AM
I've kind of lost track of the Quad Cities when I retired. Before that I was there every week. In the old days the Schuetzen club was the oldest and biggest in the USA. Square Shooters was one of the best gun stores I ever set foot in when they were on State St but they are gone. The Davenport Shooting Association is located near Princeton. When the Schuetzen club re-organized it was renamed Davenport Shooting Association. Sprinkling of small ranges in the area. If you're a deer hunter this state is over run and the coyote hunting is (last I knew) very good around Donahue. Welcome to Iowa. My wife attended nursing college in Davenport. The years disappeared like minutes in retrospect. Looking back I enjoyed the town more in pre-gambling days.

6bg6ga
09-23-2017, 04:53 AM
Ya welcome to Iowa the butt hole of the United States.

CEDAR Rapids and Hiawatha have some nice indoor ranges. Central City has the Linn Fish and Game Club that costs $50 a year and well worth it because you won't get your head shot off like the public/free ranges.

Ya, welcome to Iowa where taxes reign high the food sucks, women look like something of a cross breed and you can count on that sweet smell of the poop processing plant when the wind is out of the right direction.

Seriously we do have sliced bread now.

Kevinakaq
09-23-2017, 10:12 AM

CEDAR Rapids and Hiawatha have some nice indoor ranges. Central City has the Linn Fish and Game Club that costs $50 a year and well worth it because you won't get your head shot off like the public/free ranges.

Ya, welcome to Iowa where taxes reign high the food sucks, women look like something of a cross breed and you can count on that sweet smell of the poop processing plant when the wind is out of the right direction.

Come on, tell me what you really think, lol. I will probably regret leaving NH but that us where the opportunity is... Central City looks a bit far for a range from Davenport, hopefully some closer. As for taxes at least I will no longer be paying the 5 percent for working in Mass. Hated to contribute to it.

gsdelong
09-23-2017, 12:42 PM
Make sure you visit the museum at Rock Island arsenal. Well.worth the effort.

Smoke4320
09-23-2017, 01:08 PM
women look like something of a cross breed

come now THEIR corn fed !! :) :)

Hannibal
09-23-2017, 01:30 PM

Wow.

Reminds me of a tale I've heard a time or 3.

It's more elaborate than this, but the jist of it is, an old fellow was sitting on his porch when a family drove up and said they were thinking of moving to the town and proceeded to rattle off a long list of complaints about everything from food, entertainment, neighbors, etc.
The old fellow advised them things would.be no better for them if they moved.
Soon after, another family happened by and posed the same question, and proceeded to list all the things they liked about where they had been living, how much they would miss it, and expressed hope they would be as happy following the necessary move.
The old fellow advised them things would be just as nice once they moved.

I trust the same will be true for the OP. [smilie=1:

pincherpartner
09-23-2017, 04:39 PM
I'll second the suggestion for the Rock Island Armory Museum, lots of very cool and rare items there.

While I am about 2.5 hours away from the Quad Cities, I have always heard good things about the Milan Rifle Club in Milan, IL.

The Rock Island auctions are also there too.

Good luck with the move!

Plate plinker
09-23-2017, 05:11 PM
Never lived in Iowa but have travel a fair bit through there and it is rather boring. Hope you find it enjoyable and prosperous.

Kevinakaq
09-23-2017, 05:16 PM
I'll second the suggestion for the Rock Island Armory Museum, lots of very cool and rare items there.

While I am about 2.5 hours away from the Quad Cities, I have always heard good things about the Milan Rifle Club in Milan, IL.

The Rock Island auctions are also there too.

Good luck with the move!

Thanks for the heads up on the Milan club. Looked at their website and has promise indeed.

Blanket
09-23-2017, 07:47 PM
Blue Grass has a range 6 miles from Davenport on the Iowa side. Would look for housing away from the Quad Cities as well

trapper9260
09-23-2017, 07:59 PM
In Iowa we do not normal count the time to get where you go by miles but time. I have move from MA to IA back in 95 for good and glad i did.Here is a link for the Iowa DNR is that it is call here.
http://www.iowadnr.gov/
It have all you want to know about hunting and fishing and trapping. I live where there is all farms around me. In the northeast part of the state.Do not live in the major cities.it is high cost.

Blanket
09-24-2017, 08:26 AM
I am about 35 miles southwest of Davenport. If you want we can arrange a phone call to talk.

6bg6ga
09-24-2017, 08:41 AM
Come on, tell me what you really think, lol. I will probably regret leaving NH but that us where the opportunity is... Central City looks a bit far for a range from Davenport, hopefully some closer. As for taxes at least I will no longer be paying the 5 percent for working in Mass. Hated to contribute to it.

Dude... got to give you a bad time. Its not as bad as I mentioned................its worse.

Iowa Fox
09-24-2017, 03:44 PM
Blue Grass has a range 6 miles from Davenport on the Iowa side. Would look for housing away from the Quad Cities as well

If you can get out of Scott County it will help on taxes and expense. Muscatine or Cedar County, drive in on HWY 6.

jonp
09-24-2017, 03:58 PM
Big problem with gangs in Davenport moving south from Chicago.
Coldest night I spent on the road was in Iowa. -46 or something like that. Had to park the truck with the tail to the wind and jack up the rpm's so it would blow warm air. Sat next to the window in the truckstop for dinner and had to wear a jacket it was so cold

tomme boy
09-25-2017, 12:27 AM
Free state range north of Dav north of Princeton. Look up Lost grove lake it is new about 4 years ago and has a tremendous amount of crappie in it if you like to fish. Or if you like to catfish i am your man. R&R sports will be your best bet(cheap) for reloading supplies for what he carries. Their is a brand new Dicks/Field and stream store that has everything you will ever need for outdoors. R+R has a excellent indoor archery range and a good selection of guns.

6bg6ga
09-25-2017, 05:55 AM
Big problem with gangs in Davenport moving south from Chicago.
Coldest night I spent on the road was in Iowa. -46 or something like that. Had to park the truck with the tail to the wind and jack up the rpm's so it would blow warm air. Sat next to the window in the truckstop for dinner and had to wear a jacket it was so cold

It never has hit -46 maybe -30 at the most. The cheaply constructed diners all have the ability to freeze you if you sit next to the windows. Gangs...
we have what is called "little Chicago" a few miles from where I live. You absolutely don't want to go thru the area without a firearm and the same thing is true in Cedar Rapids certain areas where you shouldn't go. Anymore the low rent facilities advertise in Chicago to bring in the trash to occupy the funded dwellings.

Kevinakaq
09-25-2017, 12:00 PM
Looks like stepping out on f town is the way to go. Do not appreciate the idea of gangs etc. I like the quite life... Thanks for all the tips and recommendations.

RGrosz
09-25-2017, 12:17 PM
Wrong side of the state. Grew up in the west of Iowa, now live in South Dakota. Don't know much about the eastern Iowa except that they think they run the state, much like Sioux Falls does in South Dakota. There is shooting opportunities almost anywhere. Gun stores Don't know about them. All I can say is welcome.
Rob

RGrosz
09-25-2017, 12:21 PM
It never has hit -46 maybe -30 at the most. The cheaply constructed diners all have the ability to freeze you if you sit next to the windows. .
I lived 8 miles down the road from the town that advertised itself as the coldest spot in Iowa. It got -46 one night in Jan a long time ago. So it does get cold there, but not to often.
Rob

tomme boy
09-26-2017, 11:10 PM
I have seen -42 but don't remember which town it was in. You don't have to worry about the "GANGS" if you are white. They kill their own pretty good. I drive all over the QC area all the time. Don't bother me one bit to drive in the bad areas. Just don't piss anyone off!

lightman
09-27-2017, 05:45 AM
I don't know anything about Iowa but I wish you Luck in your move and new job.

6bg6ga
09-27-2017, 06:15 AM
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/Image/dmx/ColdOutbreak-Jan2014.pdf

Unless you were in Iowa in 1912 you didn't come close to seeing -47 degrees unless it was Elkader in 96 which is a far away from Davenport, Moline, and Bettendorf. Its a freek think when it gets that cold and it doesn't happen very often maybe once in a lifetime.

Good luck on your move

Kevinakaq
09-27-2017, 02:06 PM
Moving from NH, cold weather doesn't scare me as such. Not a fan of gangs obviosuly but have lived in Queens NYC. Was raised a country boy in Ocala National Forest area and that is what I like best. Obvious quads isn't going to give me that but maybe a bit outside of town with a commute will?...

Thanks for the welcomes and tips.

Kev

Iowa Fox
09-27-2017, 11:53 PM
Whoo are you going to be working for?

6bg6ga
09-28-2017, 06:49 AM

Some of us Iowa and Illinois folks need to get together sometime for a shoot or a picnic just to get to know one another.

6bg6ga
09-28-2017, 07:19 AM

I realize I was hard on you but it takes a lot of guts to uproot and move a distance like that and start fresh again. My hat is off to you sir.

Kevinakaq
09-28-2017, 11:45 AM
I realize I was hard on you but it takes a lot of guts to uproot and move a distance like that and start fresh again. My hat is off to you sir.

Thanks for the good sentiment. I have uprooted and moved to Japan, NYC, NH, Manila etc. in my life - mostly from Florida each time. Looking to settle down and stop packing! Moving these guns is a pain as well. The moving company wants nothing to do with firearms (i did not mention mine but not going to hide them among the cargo either). Plan to rent a 4x8 uhaul and pull them behind my suv. When your collection reaches a certain point (cough) it becomes a job in itself to move them from one place to another.

A manufacturing company that makes fillers for food and aerosol industries. I am the new manufacturing manager.

Char-Gar
09-28-2017, 12:08 PM
I have never set foot in Iowa, but I do wish you great success in your new job and happiness in your new home.

Kevinakaq
09-28-2017, 04:40 PM
Some of us Iowa and Illinois folks need to get together sometime for a shoot or a picnic just to get to know one another.

Count me in.

Kevinakaq
09-28-2017, 04:41 PM
I have never set foot in Iowa, but I do wish you great success in your new job and happiness in your new home.

Much appreciated. Was trying to get back south but it seems westward is my path.

jonp
09-28-2017, 04:50 PM
It never has hit -46 maybe -30 at the most. The cheaply constructed diners all have the ability to freeze you if you sit next to the windows. Gangs...
we have what is called "little Chicago" a few miles from where I live. You absolutely don't want to go thru the area without a firearm and the same thing is true in Cedar Rapids certain areas where you shouldn't go. Anymore the low rent facilities advertise in Chicago to bring in the trash to occupy the funded dwellings.

No, I remember it clearly and it was a T/A with those giant glass windows.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/01/07/washta-coldest-spot-in-iowa/4352579/

Not that year of course but I looked it up online when I was there. 2005, 2006? Somewhere right about in there I think. I remember thinking something along the lines of "it figures".

jonp
09-29-2017, 04:45 PM
Moving from NH, cold weather doesn't scare me as such. Not a fan of gangs obviosuly but have lived in Queens NYC. Was raised a country boy in Ocala National Forest area and that is what I like best. Obvious quads isn't going to give me that but maybe a bit outside of town with a commute will?...

Thanks for the welcomes and tips.

Kev

Growing up on the Quebec Border in Northern VT it didn't especially bother me that much other than jumping out of the truck in a flannel shirt and thinking "dang, better get a coat". It was pretty darn cold even for me.

Kevinakaq
10-06-2017, 07:14 AM
Well I guess I will find out first hand soon enough...lol! Spent the night in a town west of Buffalo last night and should be in Iowa this evening. Moving and packing a lot of guns/equipement can be a real endeavor btw. Rented a UHaul 4x8 to pull behind my SUV as didn't trust the moving company to handle the firearms. Slept with one eye open and the car next to my hotel door...

Time to grab a Denny's grand slam and this young man will "go west".

6bg6ga
10-06-2017, 07:29 AM
I can understand sleeping with one open eye. I will retire this spring and we are waiting for when my mother in law passes in order to make our move to Arizona. The gun moving this has prompted some discussion already. Thinking about purchasing a motorhome and if we do it will make moving the guns and gun related equipment easy.