PDA

View Full Version : Too much soot?

Andrew Quigley
08-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Can ya have to much? I had some trouble out of my Lee .358 6 cavity mold a couple weeks back and I wondered if that could have been the problem. Had bullets that came out looking like the mold was too cold but it wasn't. Was casting 45's with a Lee 6 cavity mold out of the same pot with no problem so I don't think lead temp was it.
Had the mold held together good and the sprue plated tightened down but still I got some with sharp edges at the base of the bullets. Usually I don't even have to run my 38's thru a sizer as they come out great but not this time.
I usually take a lighter or matches and soot the molds before casting. Reckin it can build up and cause these problems?

Shiloh
08-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Some say you can have too much. I just have a light film. That seems to do the trick.

I am assuming that you are using a butane lighter. This is fine. There may be problems with one that uses lighter fluid, Zippo type, as there may be an oily residue. Candles can have the same effect. Use the butane lighter or as I do, both butane lighters and the strike anywhere camping matches.

Shiloh :castmine:

Jim
08-07-2008, 04:04 PM
I tried that "carbonizing" thing a coupla' years back and found that it didn't suit me. Kept having to recoat. I find that a REALLY clean mold works best for me.

leftiye
08-07-2008, 07:14 PM
I second what jim said. Carbon doesn't stay on, and it usually can't be put on evenly. It just introduces another uncontrolled variable.

buck1
08-07-2008, 07:21 PM
Dirty vent lines??

454PB
08-07-2008, 10:48 PM
I third what jim and leftiye said. I spent a lot of time messing with smoking and release coating moulds, then finally learned that a good clean mould is all that is needed. If it gives you problems, then you need to figure out why. Smoking and coating is a bandaid.

Andrew Quigley
08-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Dirty vent lines? Will clean it off completely and try that. thanks