PDA

View Full Version : Health issues with inhaling muzzle blast from muzzle breaked guns?

barrabruce
09-19-2017, 09:40 PM
Does any one know of the health issues and what I have been breathing in from the blast of these guns with their loudeners on them.
Or what I would be breathing in.

It has come to pass that the increase in the use of muzzle breaked guns and the lack of getting them to shoot in a place where they can enjoy making themselves and their mates deaf I have severe ringing in my ears.

I hope its not permanent I really really hope not.
I have to go to the doctors and have a test tomorrow find out.

So I'm gathering all my ducks in a row.
I am more than peeved that this has happened.

So what they had a meeting and put up a sign the same afternoon.

I hope my hearing will come back to what it was.

And I don't need titinus.

So if you know please step up to the plate and help me out.
Thanks.

I think it will be all the junk from the muzzle blast but I don't really know whats in it

I have been shooting along time too but the blast is always out over there not parting my hair.

Thnx

lefty o
09-19-2017, 09:49 PM
if your ears ring, its a sign damage has been done. if the ringing goes away great, but hearing damage is cumulative and adds up. always wear double hearing protection, and stay away from loud cars, air compressors, etc.

MaryB
09-19-2017, 10:18 PM
Powder fumes shouldn't be an issue, and I doubt any lead dust unless you are shooting cast boolits... tinnitus does suck, I have it pretty bad...

barrabruce
09-19-2017, 10:20 PM
Thanks but I have been doing the ear muff thing for years.

I'm praying that it settles down to my normal level of deafness.
:(

Mowing ,powder tools, hammering even the vacume cleaner which my wife thinks is strange.
I don't know if it is because or the ear muffs or because I remembered we have one and I know how to turn it on.

Bruce

vzerone
09-19-2017, 10:42 PM
barrabruce....When shooting firearms with muzzlebreaks I wear both ear plugs and earmuffs. There are also some calibers that are notoriously loud even without a muzzlebreak. The 7.62x27 Tokarev, 30 Luger, 327 Magnum, and 30 Carbine in a revolver to name just a few. I double up ear protection with those too. It's the repetitive action of anything that make a loud enough noise that damages our ears. Those accumulate over a long period of time. For an example I have a friend that has been a carpenter all his working life and the repetitive noise of his nail guns have really damaged his hearing over time.

BTW I just read a new report about tinnitus that it's in the brain, not in your ear componants. Maybe they will make progress on eliminating that ringing in our ears.

Boolit_Head
09-19-2017, 10:54 PM
Life is a health hazard, what level of risk are you willing to accept?

XDROB
09-19-2017, 11:44 PM
Moulded ear plugs and some sort of full ear muff. Especially around ARs. But not only them, even 22s can cause damage. Over a period of time.

And lefty o, is correct. If your ears are ringing you already have some hearing damage.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

barrabruce
09-20-2017, 01:40 AM
Life is a health hazard, what level of risk are you willing to accept?

Not ones created by a something holes that think it is a bit of a laugh to blow my ears out by placing the shooter there.

Just because they can.

They may think its a lark and think they can get away with it with the who gives a toss attitude but we will see.

No it wasn't a mistake.
And there will be more distorting of the truth and cover up than the distorting of my ears.

barrabruce
09-20-2017, 01:46 AM
Yes I was wearing my high dollar muffs.
thank-you about the low music background noise.
I'll try it tonight and see if I can sleep better.
The ceiling fan doesn't cut it anymore.

Can I do to them what they have done to me.
I'd like to spread the love and feeling around.

Rcmaveric
09-20-2017, 03:37 AM
The damage from fumes and noise from my occupation is way worse than I can ever be subjected too from my shooting hobby.

Mike H
09-20-2017, 03:42 AM
Yes I was wearing my high dollar muffs.
thank-you about the low music background noise.
I'll try it tonight and see if I can sleep better.
The ceiling fan doesn't cut it anymore.

Can I do to them what they have done to me.
I'd like to spread the love and feeling around.

Bruce ,
I am not sure of your situation,but it seems like a nasty incident on a rifle range,there are good reasons why some organisations restrict muzzle breaks.For the present,if you are still able to attend the same place,watch the situation and remove yourself if you think you are at risk.
Also get expert medical advice and consider legal action.

frkelly74
09-20-2017, 09:30 AM
I leave the radio on and my wife comes in and turns it off. So I am just living with it. I have always done loud things and probably always will.

white eagle
09-20-2017, 09:59 AM
if your ears ring, its a sign damage has been done. if the ringing goes away great, but hearing damage is cumulative and adds up. always wear double hearing protection, and stay away from loud cars, air compressors, etc.

Unfortunately there is alot of truth in that statement
I first heard ringing in my ears in 1980 now on a scale of 1-10 its
a constant 5 and its a real issue in day in and day out life
hopefully yours will come back to you

clum553946
09-20-2017, 03:37 PM
I have worn plugs and muffs for years. I don't know about the fumes, but hope they don't do any harm. I like the acrid smell of burnt gunpowder!

fecmech
09-20-2017, 04:12 PM
I wore muffs religiously as a young man working around jet aircraft and shooting. What I was unaware of at the time was that the aircraft of the day (1960's) 707,727 Bac 111 were screamers with engines in the 130-140 DB range. The muffs we had probably attenuated 25 DB tops so even though I thought I was safe I was not. Today I'm deficient in the upper frequency ranges and have tinnitus. When I watch TV closed captions are on all the time so I don't drive my wife batty with the volume. Fortunately I'm a fast reader.

MaryB
09-21-2017, 12:14 AM
There are different qualities of muff too, read the specs and go for the highest DB rating you can afford! And yes, even my AR with a muzzle brake barks bad! And tinnitus sucks, I have it, makes it impssible to hear things with background noise.

375RUGER
09-21-2017, 10:43 AM
earmuffs aren't enough. I use to wear muffs over plugs. Now all I need are my custom moulded plugs, way better than the doubling up. If I was going to shoot next to a muzzle break, I'd probably still put the muffs on too.
You can be as peeved as you want, but common sense dictates that if it is loud, you don't have enough hearing protection on.

Eldon
09-21-2017, 09:34 PM
If the rifle is BREAKED it should be no problem as it won't fire.

barrabruce
09-22-2017, 05:48 PM
Well I'm not saying anything more about this issue.
Thanks for the advice.

Iowa Fox
09-23-2017, 10:04 PM
If you want to hear muzzle blast shoot this match and sit in the middle of the line. Its like climbing into the ring with Mohammad Ali. I love the smell of the burned powder blowing back into my sniffer.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x5332e42f3de1466f:0x103fdba5125b2ff!2m22!2m 2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1 !1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115 !4shttp://www.moaguns.com/MOA2013shootphotos.html!5smoa+corp+sundance+wy+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e1!2shttp://www.moaguns.com/Images/MOA2013_018.jpg&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi75frc3LzWAhVB0YMKHfZsCvwQoioIYDAK