PDA

View Full Version : 1892 Winchester barrels

Buckshot
09-19-2017, 02:13 AM
..............Green Mountain seems to be a shadow of what they once were. So where do you go for a replacement barrel these days?

.............Buckshot

Outpost75
09-19-2017, 11:48 AM
It isn't so much that the "are a shadow of what they once were," quite to the contrary, they have increased their production capacity and are involved in military production.

I'm sure if you wanted to order enough Winchester '92 .44-40 barrels to refit the Ottoman Cavalry they would be happy to do so.

Money talks...

smokeywolf
09-19-2017, 12:21 PM
There's a few here... http://homesteadparts.com/shopcart/Winchester_1892.htm

Old-Win
09-19-2017, 06:25 PM
What are you looking for exactly? I have a 44 caliber Green Mountain barrel for the 92. P.M. me if interested

Texas by God
09-19-2017, 10:19 PM
I don't know if they still sell to the public, but years ago I bought a barrel from Rossi and fit it easily to a 92 Winchester

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

John Taylor
09-20-2017, 09:48 AM
I have made more than a few 92 barrels and may have a couple GM octagon blanks on the shelf. Most customers don't care for the slow twist that GM uses on their 44-40 and 38-40 rifle barrels. Shilan has a 1 in 20 twist 44 cal. which may be a bit fast for a rifle barrel. I would like to see a 44 with 1 in 28 to 1 in 32. The original Winchester 44 has a 1 in 36 twist.

Buckshot
09-21-2017, 12:30 AM
What are you looking for exactly? I have a 44 caliber Green Mountain barrel for the 92. P.M. me if interested

...............My thanks for the reply. What I have is a Rossi 92 with a 45 Colt x 24" octagon barrel. With some loads it's acceptably accurate. It's barrel slugs .446" x .450", so it is tight but the grooves are only .002" deep. With quite a few cast boolit loads at 1000 fps or more accuracy suffers and I get leading in the first 4" or so of the barrel. That's with alloys up to 18 bhn. I thought I'd like to replace it with a barrel bore more within 'common' dimensions. I would also turn it half round, as I like that look :-)

............Buckshot

Texas by God
09-21-2017, 09:40 AM
What about a reline job?
The half round barrel will look great- we've seen your work!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ohiochuck
09-21-2017, 05:13 PM
John Taylor ++++++1

Geezer in NH
09-25-2017, 09:07 PM
..............Green Mountain seems to be a shadow of what they once were. So where do you go for a replacement barrel these days?

.............BuckshotOrder 1000+ barrels and they will make them.

They make barrels for many, many manufacturers. Many parts supplies. In fact more than any other barrel maker.

It is a money problem. That is why so many muzzleloader barrel makers are around today. There is not enough demand to keep a plant open for two or three shifts. They make what sells and keeps the employees paid with benefits by the way with no unions.

The original owner was not only a winning BP competitor but IMHO very acute in the business. He built the company up and merged with Knight Rifles. Knight was a bunch of assemblers not gun makers IMHO. All the barrels and CNC actions was by GM and the original owners.

When Knight rifles made a presentation rifle for Shocky I was a partner in the company that commercially blued all GM barrels. We refused to blue that rifle for the poor gun smithing on it. Rounded corners on a tapered octagon barrel said BUBBA!

Our shop fixed it for them.

The owner now had been the plant manager through 2 corporate owners and knows what he is doing buying it from the last corporate raider.

I have a lot of respect for Rick the owner. Note the last corporate owner dumped out weeks after the shooting in Connecticut.

Another reason to hate big Corps IMHO.