PDA

View Full Version : slugging gun barrels and cyl.

mister c
08-07-2008, 02:17 AM
I have ruger super blackhawk and a redhawk, I would like to slug the barrels and cyl. on each. I have no expierience on this any info would be apprecciated....thankyou..larry

Bass Ackward
08-07-2008, 07:41 AM
Try searching and see what you get. This is one of the most heavily covered topics on this board.

Bottom line, pure lead. Lightly lube gun first. Best job comes if you can remove the cylinder and support it. You definitely don't want to be pounding on a slug with the cylinder hanging open.

Use brass or wood if your caliber is big enough. If bore is smooth, you should just be able to push with light pressure and "feel" what's in there after you get it engraved and the excess removed. Where it hangs or drags is an issue, again make sure oil was even. With a smooth bore, or one that eventually smooths up, you should be able to push through with thumb and two fingers on the stick.

Use common sense and analyze before you do it, while you are doing it, and after. If you can use a muzzle guide, even better. Helps to mark the chambers and the slugs to keep them together in case you need to back track. I like to go from the chamber out the face.

Collect in a fashion to protect the slug from dropping and store these for future reference in a container that won't allow distortion.

crabo
08-07-2008, 08:47 AM
I have a problem trying to measure the S&W barrel slugs because they are 5 lands and grooves and I don't want to buy a fixture. Any suggestions?

Thnaks,

tom barthel
08-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Go to any sporting goods store and pick up a small pack of bullet type lead sinkers of the approximate size. Lightly lube the bore. Get a wood dowel rod as close as possible to the bore size. That's just slightly smaller. I use a short piece of the rod to start the (slug) sinker into the bore. I then insert the longer rod to contact the other end of the slug. I give it a few taps with a mallet to expand the slug to a snug fit to the bore. I then drive or push it the rest of the way through the barrel. I use a dial caliper the check the size. This will also work on throats. I use the hollow bullet type sinkers so the lead will hold its size and not spring back up when it's passed through. It's cheap and easy. Easier than explaining how to do it. If there is ANY possibility of striking metal with your mallet. USE A WOOD, PLASTIC OR LEATHER MALLET. This is also a pretty good way to find tight spots in your barrel. This works for me.
Enjoy.

Boerrancher
08-07-2008, 10:11 AM
I have a problem trying to measure the S&W barrel slugs because they are 5 lands and grooves and I don't want to buy a fixture. Any suggestions?

Thnaks,

Crabo,

Use one hand to work the mic or calipers, and slowly rotate the slug with the other. No this is not a perfect method but once you get the measuring tool to where the slug will rotate freely and just barely make contact with the tool, you should be with in a half a thousandth of the actual bore diameter.

As I said not the most perfect way to do it, but it will get you close. It sure beats spending money to buy a fixture.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch.

Joe

leftiye
08-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Crabo, Do like Boer rancher says, kinda. On the S&W 5 groove rifling the leading edge of one land or groove is directly opposite the trailing edge of the land or groove opposite of it. So it is full diameter at this place.

mooman76
08-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Crabo, Take a beer or soda can and cut off a small strip of the aluminium. Wrap around the slug and measure. Then measure the thickness of the aluminum x2 and subtract from the total.