PDA

View Full Version : finally have enough lead stashed away ................

Beerd
09-18-2017, 05:34 PM
that I didn't bend over to pick up the wheel weight I spied in the road.

probably a zinker anyway. :wink:

3006guns
09-18-2017, 06:10 PM
Nobody likes a braggart.........grumble, grumble.

Seriously, congratulations! Hopefully we'll all get enough stashed before lead becomes the next environmental hazard (which they're working on here in California).

Grmps
09-18-2017, 06:57 PM
Is this a polite way of saying due to the passage of time it was no longer worth bending over to pick up the WW[smilie=1:

Rcmaveric
09-18-2017, 07:01 PM
I wish I could find wheel weights. Every tire shop tells me they recycle and have a contractor come out and collect them. Working on a range scrap stash though.

Tom W.
09-18-2017, 07:01 PM
I have a bunch of ingots here, and a big tub of ww at my house in Eufaula. I need to get one of my stronger sons to bring it here, as I can't lift it anymore. It will probably do me for many years to come.

Beerd
09-18-2017, 07:56 PM
Is this a polite way of saying due to the passage of time it was no longer worth bending over to pick up the WW[smilie=1:

sumpthin like that

lightman
09-18-2017, 10:45 PM
Heck, me and Biggin bought 20 buckets recently and stopped at a few intersections on the way home to rescue a stray weight or two. I didn't think another weight or two would overload my truck! Guess we have no discipline?

lightman
09-19-2017, 06:57 AM
I picked 6 up at a local traffic light yesterday. All lead, too! I mean, I got 20 buckets sitting in the shop, but what the heck? I sent a picture to a buddy that stops and picks them up for me when he finds them. Its more of an ongoing joke than anything! He sent me a picture of half a coffee can of truck weights. He had to buy several truck tires for his grain trucks and trailers this year and he saved the weights for me. I really like those 6,8,10 and 12 oz weights. Had 2 zinc ones in the mix.

Hickory
09-19-2017, 07:02 AM
You only think you have enough lead.
I had, at one time, almost 3 tons of ingots and through I had enough. It goes faster then you think.

FISH4BUGS
09-19-2017, 07:31 AM
I must be one lucky guy. Every once in while I get the little voice in my head that I actually listen to. This was one of those times.
A friend of mine had a tire shop and I used to trade a case of beer for an occasional bucket of ww's. I had maybe five buckets as my stash. He called me one day and said he had sold the tire shop and if I got there by 5 on the day the deal closed, I could take all the ww's I could carry away. Needless to say, I took well over 2000 lbs of ww's which went into my girlfriend's barn. My stash should last the rest of my life and maybe even my son't life.
The other time I listed to that voice in my head was being able to buy the house with my girlfriend. I was not looking forward to moving 25+ buckets of ww's.
I still get a bucket here and there from my current auto repair shop.
I am one lucky guy. I admit it.

Hardcast416taylor
09-19-2017, 10:13 AM
Not only do I think that I have enough assorted types of lead stashed (a little over 1 ton) to last my lifetime, I would stoop over - bad back and all - to pick the weight up to check it out I also will stoop over to pick up a penny off the sidewalk.Robert

FISH4BUGS
09-19-2017, 04:28 PM
I also will stoop over to pick up a penny off the sidewalk.
My grandma always said "....see a penny and pick it up....all the day you will have good luck".
Hard habit to break when you start doing that as a three year old....I still do it 66 years later.

bedbugbilly
09-19-2017, 06:19 PM
See q wheel weight . . .
You should pick it up.
Be sure to look both ways though . . .
You could get hit by a truck.

Now taking reservations for my upcoming book of poetry . . . . :-)

jonp
09-19-2017, 06:22 PM

No, just that he couldn't bend over to pick it up [smilie=1:

Beerd
09-19-2017, 06:25 PM
My grandma always said "....see a penny and pick it up....all the day you will have good luck".
Hard habit to break when you start doing that as a three year old....I still do it 66 years later.

pick up a penny? sure, every time.

but they are zinkers too, ya know. :sad:

blackthorn
09-19-2017, 07:37 PM
No more pennies in Canada! Only nickels and up now.

David2011
09-19-2017, 09:31 PM
Mom and Dad pick a wheel weight up for me in parking lots now and then. They save them for me for my next visit even though I live 600 miles away from them. They're in this eighties. So cute. I love my parents! Another thought- OMG! My parents are in their eighties and they CAN pick up a WW in a parking lot.

1989toddm
09-19-2017, 11:41 PM
I wish I could find wheel weights. Every tire shop tells me they recycle and have a contractor come out and collect them. Working on a range scrap stash though.

So what does it take to be a "lead recycling contractor"? [emoji57]

lightman
09-20-2017, 05:51 AM
I'm thinking maybe a fake business card and a work shirt with a company name stitched over the shirt pocket. Maybe impress them with a disposable hazmat suit when you load up the lead! :drinks:

Geezer in NH
09-20-2017, 08:25 AM
So what does it take to be a "lead recycling contractor"? [emoji57]
Casting boolits counts as recycling.

But the OSHA idiots may want you to have certification and classes I would bet so you will wash your hands after handling the lead and no smoking eating or drinking while doing so.

:Bright idea: Hey maybe someone here on the board can set up a class for it then all of us can get certified right here at Cast Boolits!!!!!

dverna
09-20-2017, 08:57 AM
I recently turned 67. Have about 3000 lbs of casting lead and a ton of shot. Still will buy lead if I get a good deal. I look at it as an investment. It allows me to keep shooting as inexpensively as possible and even if I do not use it all, it appreciates.

BudRow
09-20-2017, 09:17 AM
I live in a rural setting and have 21 acres with my own range - I recycle and reload 98% of my lead that I retrieve from my bullet trap. I have less than a ton of lead but I am sure that what I do have will last me the rest of my life. I'm 67 and I would never not pick up a stray wheel weight!!! I am of Scotch decent.

mold maker
09-20-2017, 09:25 AM
Enough is only a relative term. How long are you gonna be able to shoot? How many more, or less guns will you shoot? Will your health last? On and on go the variables that determin enough.
The final determination will be for those left behind when they split up whats left.
I'm determined to leave them something to either cuss me for or enjoy. At this point, it's all conjecture.

Grmps
09-22-2017, 02:29 PM
OK, Beerd , we are all curious, what do you consider enough? now out with it, what do you got?:-D

DerekP Houston
09-22-2017, 03:11 PM
I'm conservatively into 1000+ lbs now....but I just ordered another box from The Captain since I've never had true "COWW" and would like to try it for my 9mm loads. Most of mine is range scrap and misc alloy with ~400lbs of factory ingots in 95/5 blend. I'm not looking forward to moving it to the new house but that's just cause my wife will see all the boxes I've hidden around the house ;).