PDA

View Full Version : "Drawing a line" on how much to keep on hand. (re: Ammo & Reloading supplies)

JBinMN
09-18-2017, 06:54 AM
The other day I was trying to re-organize ammunition & reloading supplies and it occurred to me that perhaps I was going a bit overboard in how much I kept on hand for myself & my families current & future usage of such things. As I pondered this, I was curious as to the castboolits memberships views on how much everyone else thinks is the "line" on how much to have on hand when keeping their stock of ammunition & reloading supplies stocked.

I realize that some folks shoot more than others due to their location, competition shooting,etc.. So, those folks who are using more would need more. The ones who just go out every month or two & shoot would likely need less on hand.

I also realize that some folks want to keep such info to themselves due to "OpSec"(Operational Security), but if you are willing to share the info, even if not an exact, but a "ballpark" description just for the sake of discussion & sharing your thoughts here.

So... In regard to me & my storing of such items for myself & family right now, I think as far as loaded ammunition goes, I try to keep a minimum of 2-300 rounds per pistol, 100-150 rounds per centerfire, +/- 1-2K in .22 rimfire, & as far as shotguns, around 1-200 rounds of various shot/slugs per each gauge. I feel that covers our "reserve" for each year based on current usage.

Now since I reload for everything I own, with the exception of .22rimfire, I also keep a stock of reloading supplies reserved on hand, to replenish those ammo supplies & I try to keep enough supplies on hand to be able to shoot pistol monthly/bi-monthly, center fire rifle every couple months & shotguns off & on year round, but more in the Hunting seasons. I do not shoot "Competitively" on a regular basis like some folks do, but do shoot for fun competitively with friends & family on occasion. Like for who buys the refreshments & such. LOL ;)

(Note: I just replenish .22rimfire as it gets used, by buying factory rounds to replace when I can find some at a decent price, so no reloading supplies there.)
So, I would venture to guess that I keep enough reloading supplies on hand to last a year based on current usage.

Right now I feel that those amounts of ammo & reloading supplies is adequate for our current usage, there are some folks that keep more on hand for future "prep" in case of some sort of a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI/Whatever..., but I do not know how much that "line" would be "for us" right now.
[ One of the reasons I am posting & asking about this subject. ;) ]

I know there will be some who just post things like, " Not enough.", "No ones business but mine." and other such vague posts, but it would be nice if folks shared a bit more than that, and pass on some reasons for folks to determine where to "Draw the Line" on what they might keep on hand for Ammunition & reloading supplies, if just for the sake of sharing & helping others.

So, if you would like to share, help out & discuss this subject, please do!
:)

Where do you "Draw the Line" on your ammo & reloading supplies?

dragon813gt
09-18-2017, 07:35 AM
When you think you have enough that means you don't. When you think you have to much you're almost there. When you think you have way to much you have enough......possibly

DerekP Houston
09-18-2017, 07:41 AM
When ordering factory ammo I always ordered by the 1k case. So I'm probably a bit on the high side for pistol ammo. Rifle rounds for 223 are similar but 308/3006 I rarely shoot (cause I'm a wuss) and 200-300 rounds was plenty. Those came in 200 rnd cases. My main reason for ordering bulk is price per round, and the fact that once I get a load dialed in I want as few variables as possible. Same batch, same brand, etc. YMMV. This was all before I started reloading as well, so most of it is still in the closet just awaiting usage.

When my wife or friends go shooting I'll take them some factory ammo and use my reloads myself. Not that I don't trust them, I just don't want an odd squib sneaking past and since they won't know what to listen for I'd rather to the risk myself.

lightman
09-18-2017, 07:50 AM
Well, first of all I admit I probably have too much. Ammo and components. After going through several shortages in the past, I try to keep 2 election cycles of powder, primers and jacketed bullets on hand, for the estimated amount of shooting that I plan to do. I have more brass than I'll ever shoot and I'm pretty sure I have enough lead to last my lifetime. The powder, primers and bullets were purchased whenever the opportunity to buy at sale prices presented itself. The brass and lead just accumulated over time. Ammo wise, I'll keep a few thousand 22's on hand. I load for everything else. I load in large batches for most of my pistols, usually 2000-2500 rounds at a time and use them until they are gone. Same for 223's and 308's. Others usually get loaded 100 at a time. I have bullet molds for all of my pistols and a few of my rifles, although I'm not much on casting for rifles, except for things like 45-70.

Doing it this way, I did not have to pay inflated prices or quit shooting during the Obama years. Or during the Clinton years either. But I did get caught short at one time and I learned from that.

toallmy
09-18-2017, 08:01 AM
I'm going to take inventory .

GhostHawk
09-18-2017, 08:33 AM
JB I think you and I are probably pretty close on this subject.

My rule for sleeping well at night is 300 rounds of loaded ammo, in MTM boxes, on the table for each caliber. Now there are a few exceptions.

I do not have 300 rounds loaded for .444marlin, I have one, a single shot. I highly suspect I will never need to stop a whole herd of buffalo. Probably have close to 150 rounds.

I have 3 9mm firearms, and my buddy used to have a Beretta 92FS which he recently sold. A hipoint pistol, a hipoint 9mm carbine, and a single shot barrel.

Currently on the table are 500 rounds of my loaded ammo, 500 rounds of inexpensive Federal FMJ's. Plus in the Carbine case is a 100 round box, same for the pistol, and the single shot barrel. Loads differ so load is written on the box.

I have the most ammo for .223 rem and 7.62x39. Yeah I love my SKS.

Also in a SHTF scenario I figure the AR and AK boys are going to run through their ammo supply in the first week. So I figure it might be nice to have some trading material to hand.

12 ga shotgun is also a bit heavy on the table, but a wide variety of ammo makes that girl so very versatile. Most of what I have loaded is slugs or #1 buckshot. Plenty of cheap federal game loads around for birds, and a fair amount of left over steel in common sizes.

Only caliber for me that is really what I would consider short is .30-30. I have the brass, the mold, just been lazy. It would not take me long to double my current stock bringing me up to the 300 mark. Just have not felt much ambition to do it.

Getting old and fat and lazy.

mold maker
09-18-2017, 09:06 AM
As the safe size shrank over the years, so did the amount of loaded ammo for each. I no longer store much loaded, but rather have components for each ready to load. I try to keep lots of prepared brass and cast boolits. Since the shortages, I rely on having primers and powder stored at the ready.
As range time diminishes so does the need for loaded rounds, and when the time comes I don't want to leave a large burden of pulling down loaded ammo. Raw components are more valuable than taking chances with reloads from somebody else.

bedbugbilly
09-18-2017, 09:15 AM
I think it would vary a lot as you state as every one is different in their needs.

After having gone though a number of "shortages" over the years, I feel comfortable in keeping enough supplies foray 3 years for the amount of shooting I do. I try to keep several different powders on hand that can be used for a variety of the cartridges I load. Red Dot, which seems to work well in most of mine is a "must". Primers? Again, depends on how much you load and shoot.

I don't "hoard" - i.e. I don't go overboard on purchases. But I do keep a quantity of things on hand. In most cases, those items are not going to g down in price but they will go up.

I and others can remember when certain brass were hard to get. At this time, there seems to be a good supply. I can remember when something like 45 Colt was kind of hard to come by as Starline was out. The same with 32-20 (32 WCF). I haven't gone overboard but I have accumulated brass in different calibers that I load when I could get it at a good price. Stored in totes, it isn't going anywhere. I look at it this way, what I've accumulated, and it isn't taking up a large amount of space, can always be traded, etc. during a shortage if it happens again - and it could very well depending on how the political winds blow - and we all know that.

As far as loaded rounds on hand - I think you and I pretty much think the same way JB. And I don't consider keeping that much ahead to be overdoing it. If I keep 300 rounds of 38 special loaded up, at a good range session I could easily go through half of that in an afternoon of shooting my SA and DA revolvers. I don't shoot as often as I'd like but if I'm putzing mourned, I may load up a box or two of a caliber so the amount ahead can certainly vary at times.

It is a shame that we have come to the point that such things as shortages and other things have to be considered. I have always shot BP - been doing it for for 55 years. When the last shortage hit - I found myself shooting my muzzleloaders more and conserving my cartridge supplies. I haven't shot 22s since the last shortage - still have a K or so of them but I sold most of my 22s and will probably never buy another one.

One of the biggest things I see in regards to having a decent supply on hand to meet your needs is the proper storage of it so it will be in good shape. I store all my primers and percussion caps in the airtight ammo containers. My powder (smokeless) is stored in a cool dry place in the factory container which I then put in a "cooler" and seal.

Since I have always cast - I try and keep a quantity of lead on hand - usually a 100 - 200 pounds - soft lead and "range lead" - I'm a pretty low tech caster. Since my wife and I moved, I have have had to "downsize" things and I have way too many molds and as a result, way too many boolits of different designs/weights cast up and stored in plastic peanut jars. I'm trying to downsize to maybe just two designs/weights per caliber. There is one thing about it though - they can always be melted down and re-cast in to something I was short on. Lead is one thing that you can still scrounge around and find if really needed - maybe not the content you want but still shootable.

I'm in my "sunset" years - but I have often thought and am still thinking that a good quality "air rifle" might be a good thing to have. When we were kids there were the Sheridan and the Benjamans (sp?) that worked pretty well with a lead pellet. I am not well versed on what is out there today but thee seems to be some pretty decent ones. If reloading supplies, etc. started to dry up again, one would still allow a person to at least target shoot and plink and I'm thinking that the velocity out of some would certainly take care of small critters, etc.

Just my humble thoughts!

opos
09-18-2017, 09:36 AM
Living in the land of fruits and nuts...California...our perspective has changed just a bit...we are in for a little "change" come January 1....the voters here in fruitville decided no more on line ammo allowed in California unless it get shipped to a licensed FFL and for a fee he will receive it...no more "private sales" between any people unless they have a state issued card and go to a FFL to do the exchange (of course for a fee) like a transfer of a firearm....and so the rush is on...also lots of "friendships" springing up between shooters, etc...all the morons in the Statehouse and the libtard voters have done is drive a thriving and tax revenue generating business underground and make criminals out of sportsmen and women that are just enjoying a sport...lace panty libtards have not made a move on components but everyone I know is buying up whatever they can get their hands on....probably going to be a regular "underground" of "traveling salesmen" and "tourists" going to Arizona and Nevada on a regular basis....of course the illegals and the gang bangers don't worry about this..they just steal it.

So we'll see how well this all works out for the State...I'd predict the net effect will be a huge loss of tax revenue on ammo and eventually on components....

jdfoxinc
09-18-2017, 09:37 AM
Don't discount the Korean 9mm .45 & .50 caliber pre charged pneumatic rifles. They will take anything up to whitetail.

I like to keep 250 to 500 factory loads for each caliber I own. Then I start reloading.

HABCAN
09-18-2017, 09:46 AM
FWIW, my $0.02.........There's NEVER 'Enough', 20 is 'Some', 10 is 'a Tolerable Amount', 5 is 'a Few', 2 is 'One', and 1 is 'None'. That can be translated to thousands of primers, pounds of powder, boxes of ammo, groceries......whatever suits YOUR 'needs'.

Hamish
09-18-2017, 10:01 AM
Ten years worth of yearly ammo on hand is a good minimum wage to start,,,

bob208
09-18-2017, 10:28 AM
this brings to mind the youtube video I watched where this guy was trying to say the .223 was better then the 7.62x39 because of resupplying in an emergency. well in a emergency there is no resupply. so can you go the rest of your life with out buying another round of ammo ?

Reddirt62
09-18-2017, 10:38 AM
I want enough to survive several presidential elections.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

therealhitman
09-18-2017, 10:49 AM
...I think as far as loaded ammunition goes, I try to keep a minimum of 2-300 rounds per pistol, 100-150 rounds per centerfire, +/- 1-2K in .22 rimfire, & as far as shotguns, around 1-200 rounds of various shot/slugs per each gauge.

You mean in your glove compartment? Not sure I follow...:kidding:

...well in a emergency there is no resupply. so can you go the rest of your life with out buying another round of ammo ?

Wise man. Stack it deep as ya can. Appropriate storage space becomes the issue. I produce waaaay more than I shoot since I enjoy casting/loading and do something on that bench almost every day, so preparedness (or ridiculous ammo hoarding as SWMBO calls it) needs square footage.

Obligatory meme:

https://i.imgur.com/xhe3o7F.jpg

I showed this pic with the text cropped to the missus and told her it was one of you guys. Just to make her feel better. Totally worked.

Hardcast416taylor
09-18-2017, 01:42 PM
As the saying goes...if you have a doubt if you have enough, you probably don`t have enough! You just have to recall the .22 ammo fisaco of only a few years ago to try and prevent that happening to you again.Robert

NoAngel
09-18-2017, 01:44 PM
I had to draw a line recently, the floor in my shop started to buckle. I had to diversify my storage decisions. Now properly dispersed my "LINE" has once again been blurred and the cast/loading continues.

3006guns
09-18-2017, 06:15 PM
You guys reminded me........I need to inventory my primers. I had a "pile" of primers through the Obama years (thank God) but I've been shooting and didn't restock like I should have. Yep.....time to really check out what my reserves are like.

As to the original subject, you can never have "enough".

Handloader109
09-18-2017, 06:20 PM
I had to draw a line recently, the floor in my shop started to buckle. I had to diversify my storage decisions. Now properly dispersed my "LINE" has once again been blurred and the cast/loading continues.

Now that's funny. I've got concrete floor so unless the building starts to sink, (which is probably not possible up here in the mountains) I'll just keep piling on as a find a few dollars to spend.
Actually have a couple of decades of supplies except for Primers. Got to stock more Primers.......
And I can mine the lead.

Tom W.
09-18-2017, 06:55 PM
My ammo cabinet broke a shelf. Looks like another is going to. I don't have the shelf ( a huge book case ) that I had in Eufaula, and the one I bought wasn't as strong. I have about 500 rounds of everything that I load for. When I feel good I'll go cast boolits until I get tired and fill up steel ammo cans. I have one full of 9mm and one of .45 and don't have a .45. I gotta stop that. I have a bunch of .357 boolits as well as a large multitude of 148 gr. WC. It's relaxing, and I enjoy going and puttering, until I run out of brass. Then I gotta go to the range and unload a few.
I have enough 9mm and .45 acp brass to win the zombie apocalypse single handedly........

Hick
09-18-2017, 07:24 PM
I try to stay at least one presidential election ahead. I keep a small stash of self defense rounds, but since I primarily target shoot and constantly try new loading ideas, I don't stock much assembled rounds-- I make them up before each shooting trip after I decide what 'experiment' I want to try for that trip. I keep a spreadsheet that totals my inventory of bullets, lead, primers and powder, and tells me when I'm running short of anything. Every time I do a loading session I click the appropriate spot in the spreadsheet for what I am loading, which bullet, which primer, and how many grains of which powder. That way the inventory always stays up to date. My spreadsheet also does a little calculation for each firearm based on what I have in stock and tells me what date I expect to run out for that firearm-- and if that date is not one presidential election ahead I buy whatever I need.

gbrown
09-18-2017, 07:41 PM
All I can think of is my best friend's advice on ANYTHING. "Better to have and not need, than to need and not have."

Love Life
09-18-2017, 07:53 PM
If my kids have to wonder what to do after I die, then that means I had enough lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GhostHawk
09-18-2017, 09:06 PM
Well if I could not resupply the first thing that happens is the Semi auto's get hung up. The Yugo SKS gets the gas turned off, turning into a straight pull bolt. Which makes it much easier to find brass. Semi's would be held for home defense use only, and only at inside 50 yard ranges.

And the single shots get to come out to play. Much better IMO to have one well aimed perfectly timed, perfectly placed shot at the right range than to waste 30 rounds down range for the same result.

And yes as long as I managed the primers I have on hand well, and perhaps limited myself to smaller bore. I do believe I could last quite a long long time.

I have a large stash of Red Dot, and I'm working on filling my second .50 cal ammo can with primers. I know for a fact that I have at least 3k of small rifle primers, and enough Red Dot to load all of those. Think it is closer to 5k of large rifle, that is a lot of .30-30 ammo. At least 1500 large pistol primers and 3k small pistol. And 2k plus of shotgun primers. And at that I think I would run out of lead or primers before powder.

Hard to know what a person would need. At my age chances are I won't ever get to shoot them all up. So hopefully I am stashing away treasure for my grandkids.

Or at least whoever inherits my stash will think kindly of me.

this brings to mind the youtube video I watched where this guy was trying to say the .223 was better then the 7.62x39 because of resupplying in an emergency. well in a emergency there is no resupply. so can you go the rest of your life with out buying another round of ammo ?

Edward
09-18-2017, 09:18 PM
You mean in your glove compartment? Not sure I follow...:kidding:

Wise man. Stack it deep as ya can. Appropriate storage space becomes the issue. I produce waaaay more than I shoot since I enjoy casting/loading and do something on that bench almost every day, so preparedness (or ridiculous ammo hoarding as SWMBO calls it) needs square footage.

Obligatory meme:

https://i.imgur.com/xhe3o7F.jpg

I showed this pic with the text cropped to the missus and told her it was one of you guys. Just to make her feel better. Totally worked. Now that is impressive and I thought I was competitive but that photo shows I am not even in the ball park ,I will try harder starting now!

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-18-2017, 09:29 PM
I could offer up some numbers, of what I think is enough...but everyone's "status" is different, also the status for the same person can and will change. I use to shoot two different summer leagues, I burnt up a lot of pistol ammo as well as rimfire for the rimfire rifle league...that changed.

SO anyway, If I was still in the leagues and I wasn't jaded by national politics (like I am now), I'd want 2K rds of ammo for each League gun and powder/primers/bullets for another 5K.
>Other handguns, the numbers would be 200 and 500 respectively.
>Rifles the numbers would be 200 and 200 respectively.

But I'm not in leagues anymore...and because I am jaded by the past shortages caused by politics. I have no numbers to offer. The fact is, there is never enough, the only limiting factors are safe storage space and money.

lightman
09-18-2017, 09:34 PM
I bought a couple of pallets of 50 caliber cans right after the first Gulf war started. They came with that same tape on them, indicating that they had been inspected and were empty. A lot of them had red dirt in them. Ft Benning maybe?

I've read threads about inherited ammo and ammo from deceased friends and the amount of trust involved in using it or pulling it down. Made me wonder about some of my stuff as I'm getting older. I think my Sons and close friends trust my stuff enough to use it. These thoughts made me start keeping better records. Every ammo box is now labeled with the load info and date loaded. The bulk stuff in ammo cans is labeled on the outside and has a note inside.

Greg S
09-19-2017, 12:37 AM
I generally like to program a year out which gives me plenty of time to find sources. In general, that is 5k 45 ACP, 3K 9mm, 3K 5.56, 2K 308 but I may need to adjust that some as I haven't made my goals in about 5z6 years, not enough free time. Generally for primers I like to keep 10k in Large and Small Pistol each, 2-3 K sml and lrg mag pistol, 2K large rifle match, 5K lrg rifle and 1-2K LRM primers on hand. I have a group of friends and we call one another when putting orders together to get the most out ofmour hazmat fees. Powder is generally 2x8 for each military caliber, 2x8 unique, and ample supply of BE, 2400, BDot, varget and of course 296H110.

For the military cals, 10k of 223 projos and at least 2 to 4k of the 308 147 projos. I generally pick up a box of rifle bullets each trip to the store in the oddballs or each order from a vendor, whatevermismon sale or I want to try. If I find a projo I like i.e. Hordany 50 spsx for varmits I generally lay in 6 boxes in reserve. Factory Ammo is limited to 1-2K for 5.56 and 308 and the same for 45 ACP and generally a short case or carry ammo in 45 ACP. 9mm, 38 & 357 and 10mm is generally 1-2 5 rd boxes at the local cop shop.

22 LR is a case at a time with a brick of this n that thrown in. Generally, when I break into a new case, I'm looking for the deal on my next case.

lightman
09-19-2017, 06:12 AM
I also get a few shooting buddies together for bulk orders. I use Powder Valley and they will mix powder and primers in the same box. Max total weight is 50# which figures to be 47 or 48# in a box. I try to max this out and we split the hazmat and shipping. It usually figures out to be about 50 cents per # of powder or brick of primers. I divide the total shipping by the unit, like a jug of powder, sleeve of primers, 5000 count box of primers, ect. I'll buy powder or primers at a gunshow if its a good price but I can usually order cheaper. I buy bullets when on sale at places like Midway and Sinclair, usually in the 500 round boxes. I do the same thing with brass but I seldom buy new brass except for my custom rifles. Occasionally, I will buy new pistol brass in the calibers that you don't find at the range, like 38 Super, 45 Colt and 44 mag. If you plan ahead you can buy components cheaper than retail.

djgoings
09-19-2017, 10:11 AM
After filling up a couple dozen 50 cal ammo cans with reloading components, I switched to 5 gallon buckets/lids. I believe that a "sin" tax is coming sometime in the future. I'll continue to buy when components are on sale.

JBinMN
09-19-2017, 10:33 AM
Lots of good info & advice being passed, IMO!
Thanks!

I have been reading them & thinking about a few of the things that have come to mind about "Drawing the Line" on ammo & reloading supplies.
Certain factors that come into play.

Factors like,

Frequency of shooting ( I.E.-Competitive(Amatuer -Pro), Daily to just Occasional, Hunting, etc.)
Storage Space
Money available
Amount of firearms to shoot
Time available

Of course there are more factors, but these listed seem to be/are "gimmes" or "givens", since all can be applied to anyone involved in storing ammo + reloading supplies. And some factors may, or may not be "Gimmes/Givens" like:

*Social/Political Atmosphere (I.E. - Unrest & upheavals, protests, etc.)*

and

*Geographic location (I.E. - Country of residence, Urban/Rural, etc.)*

but still have an influence on what one keeps around for ammo & reloading supplies, based on what is happening around someone , or whether laws/rules & regulations allow such items.

Another thing to consider is, there most likely are shooters that do not store any ammo & just buy when they want to shoot, and surely there are those shooters who do not reload, but buy ammo & store it, as well as shoot with whatever frequency they desire, from the occasional plinker to the competitive league or pro. shooter. Certainly those who shoot & reload are in between the ends of the spectrum, wherever those ends lie, & puts many of us here, at castboolits.gunloads forum right in the middle somewhere. And to me that is another good reason to ask about this subject, as it is likely to help supply a good "average" of what folks are doing.

I find it interesting to learn what folks think is the right place to "Draw the Line" on ammo & reloading supplies to keep on hand. What folks post may even change some other folks minds about this as they read the posts. Thanks again for sharing your input & I hope to see more!

[BTW, whether someone casts or not, I put casting supplies in with reloading supplies when I am talking about storage, in case someone was confused about that. Since even if one does not cast, they need boolits/bullets to load with & if one wants to cast/swage/etc. their own, they are still part of reloading, IMO.]
;)

BrassMagnet
09-19-2017, 10:51 AM
Well if I could not resupply the first thing that happens is the Semi auto's get hung up. The Yugo SKS gets the gas turned off, turning into a straight pull bolt. Which makes it much easier to find brass. Semi's would be held for home defense use only, and only at inside 50 yard ranges.

And the single shots get to come out to play. Much better IMO to have one well aimed perfectly timed, perfectly placed shot at the right range than to waste 30 rounds down range for the same result.

And yes as long as I managed the primers I have on hand well, and perhaps limited myself to smaller bore. I do believe I could last quite a long long time.

I have a large stash of Red Dot, and I'm working on filling my second .50 cal ammo can with primers. I know for a fact that I have at least 3k of small rifle primers, and enough Red Dot to load all of those. Think it is closer to 5k of large rifle, that is a lot of .30-30 ammo. At least 1500 large pistol primers and 3k small pistol. And 2k plus of shotgun primers. And at that I think I would run out of lead or primers before powder.

Hard to know what a person would need. At my age chances are I won't ever get to shoot them all up. So hopefully I am stashing away treasure for my grandkids.

Or at least whoever inherits my stash will think kindly of me.

A Scrap Yard in Missouri had a bunch of scrap lead for sale.
Grandpa died and the grand kids were selling his stuff!
The grand kids knew his ammo cans were valuable and they wanted to clean them out so they could sell them for top dollar!
So the bags of lead shot were cut open and dumped into buckets. The jacketed bullet boxes were cut open and jumped into buckets and sold for about 50 cents a pound.
You have to save those valuable ammo cans and jump out the trash!

toallmy
09-19-2017, 11:08 AM
It may seem excessive but I keep 50-75 lb of powder on hand , but sometimes I get carried away with loading shot shells , and the 300 Winchester just consumers powder . As far as loaded ammo the handguns and rifles I play with I keep around 2-3000 loaded , but hunting rifle 1-200 will take care of all the shooting and practice needed . Ready to load , I will admit I have a problem " I collect components "

Der Gebirgsjager
09-19-2017, 11:37 AM
I think how much of what depends a great deal on where your interests in shooting are. Shotgunners can go through an awful lot of ammo, especially if they compete and practice for competition. Prairie dog hunters have been known to shoot several hundred rounds per day. Competition handgun shooters use lots of handgun ammo. The casual shooter may only go through a couple of boxes per year, or even less. Then, there's the fellow who only picks up his rifle upon the arrival of deer season. Hopefully he fires a couple of rounds to assure his zero before heading into the woods, then uses one shot to harvest his deer, and gets 6 or 7 years out of one 20 round box of ammo. Actually, I've known a couple of 20 years per box men who skipped the zero drill. No doubt those who feel the end of the world is imminent will have a supply similar to the photo, and that fulfills their need to feeling secure. I don't find it unwise at all to have a good supply of primers and powder, especially if those components are applicable to a variety of cartridges and calibers like Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot, and 4895. In fact, I'd place more value on having the components than on a large supply of loaded ammunition, because suddenly, through disaster like fire or flooding, through theft, or perhaps intentional sale one may suddenly find themselves without a particular caliber of firearm, a large supply of loaded ammo on hand, and no firearm with which to shoot it. The opposite can also be true, where the ammo is degraded due to exposure as recently experienced by some of our forum brothers caught in the hurricanes. The old saying, "Keep your powder dry" kind of shows where the basic priority exists. So, store the components above flood level!

In my personal case, I would consider myself to have quite a bit of ammo, far more that I am ever likely to use. in some cases I have several boxes of cartridges for calibers I do not and never have owned. But the fact of the matter is that I just plain like to reload ammo, and find it almost therapeutic to be doing something useful with my hands. So over the years I've loaded much more than I've shot, and still have boxes of ammo with loading dates in the '70s and '80s--thankfully most of the '60s stuff is gone. Then, sometimes the odd surplus ammo deal would come along that was irresistible like a case of 9mm Largo, Pakistani .30-06, Turkish 8x57mm, etc., etc., and I'd buy some and put it away for salvage of components or for use in a specific surplus firearm. And while I like to reload, I hate to disassemble already loaded ammo that I loaded, so most aggravating are the many occasions when I loaded 20 or 40 rifle rounds to try out at the range, and when they didn't perform as desired I came back home with 15 or 20 rounds and just put them on a shelf. Well, maybe they'll work out in another rifle, but.. ??

So, I guess my answer is that there really isn't any overall comprehensive answer to your question. It depends on what your shooting interests are and what you perceive your needs to be.

mold maker
09-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Why draw a line in shifting sand? If ya find yourself with extra ammo, you need to shoot more. If your reserves shrink below a comfortable level, get busy loading.
While many feel it's a life and death situation, most see it as a hobby.

David2011
09-19-2017, 10:36 PM
I load for practice and matches just to stay a month or so ahead. Emergency ammo isn't like that. If you wait for the emergency you may not have time to load it up. I had a disturbing dream last night that made me think I need to get back on loading emergency ammo.

mold maker
09-20-2017, 09:43 AM
I load for practice and matches just to stay a month or so ahead. Emergency ammo isn't like that. If you wait for the emergency you may not have time to load it up. I had a disturbing dream last night that made me think I need to get back on loading emergency ammo.

Your intitution is probably right. Only you know the numbers and where your head is on inventory. Trust your sub-conscience and adjust accordingly. Emergencies aren't predictable, and being prepared is different for each individual. Having enough to cover every situation is called hoarding though, and there is never enough.

MT Gianni
09-20-2017, 09:34 PM
I consider 2-300 rounds of handgun ammo an average day at the range. Mine would be adjusted up per caliber. I have ss hunting rifles that I will never need more than 50 pieces of brass for. I have a couple of handguns that if I lost 50 pieces of brass it wouldn't tear me up. Stock what is difficult to replace.

DerekP Houston
09-20-2017, 09:35 PM
I consider 2-300 rounds of handgun ammo an average day at the range. Mine would be adjusted up per caliber. I have ss hunting rifles that I will never need more than 50 pieces of brass for. I have a couple of handguns that if I lost 50 pieces of brass it wouldn't tear me up. Stock what is difficult to replace.

Same here, 200-300 is an average day at the range. Even better if I'm shooting my 38's since I don't have to chase down all the brass :D

Ickisrulz
09-20-2017, 09:58 PM
Back in my younger days as an E-3 in USAF, I'd go shoot up all my loaded rounds except for 6 which I kept loaded in my one revolver for emergencies. Then I'd reload all my brass and do it again. Times sure have changed.

reddog81
09-21-2017, 12:01 AM
My goal is to have enough lead, powder and primers for 20,000 rounds. I'm pretty sure I'm not too far off. 200 rounds a week for a year will go through 10,000+ rounds in a year. I figure if something crazy happens I'll be set along with having enough supplies to continue practicing for a little while along with being prepared for whatever. I'd need more storage space to increase these numbers.

Along with a nice pile of .22lr and a couple hundred factory rounds of each of the popular calibers I shoot and a couple hundred reloads for for each caliber I feel adequate.

lightman
09-21-2017, 06:09 AM
My ammo cabinet broke a shelf. Looks like another is going to. I don't have the shelf ( a huge book case ) that I had in Eufaula, and the one I bought wasn't as strong. I have about 500 rounds of everything that I load for. When I feel good I'll go cast boolits until I get tired and fill up steel ammo cans. I have one full of 9mm and one of .45 and don't have a .45. I gotta stop that. I have a bunch of .357 boolits as well as a large multitude of 148 gr. WC. It's relaxing, and I enjoy going and puttering, until I run out of brass. Then I gotta go to the range and unload a few.
I have enough 9mm and .45 acp brass to win the zombie apocalypse single handedly........

Tom, you can reinforce those shelves by bolting or screwing a piece of angle iron under them. I done a few of mine by using electrical strut. You can get it in different thicknesses, different finishes and with different size holes or no holes in the back. They have it in the electrical dept at Home Depot or Lowes. I like the galvanized finish in the 5/8 inch thickness. The box stores may not have many options but an electrical supply house will. Standard length is 10ft and its pretty cheap.

6bg6ga
09-21-2017, 06:26 AM
Well I am unsure as to who might be reading this thread with respect to federal or state government. Pretty soon they will try to establish a maximum number of rounds for each gun you own and probably in the neighborhood of a box or two at most. I will comment and say that I might have a minimum of a several thousands per gun. I do happen to know people that have a minimum of 10K per gun.

FISH4BUGS
09-21-2017, 06:57 AM
Lead:
2500+ lbs of ww's
500 lbs linotype
FMJ Bullets:
223 55gr fmj: 6000+
308 147gr: 3000+
Powder:
748: 32 lbs
296: 16lbs
231: 24lbs
Primers:
10,000 SR
10,000 SP
5,000 SPM
10,000 LP
10,000 LR
Brass:
223: 15,000+
308: 5000+
38: 5000+
357: 5000+
44 special 1000+ (I need more)
44 mag: 3000
380: 5000+
9mm: 15,000+
45 acp: 5000+
22: 500 (who shoots a 22 anyway?)
I should be OK for a while. Good thing I have a barn.

jdfoxinc
09-24-2017, 07:09 PM
Check your local fire code. Most limit you to 20lb of any powder in a residence with or without a magazine. Building and fire codes are how they will come after components.

Lead storage is another. I had to be inspected annually by Denver waste water management to insure I was a non-discharged of lead into the waste water stream. The inspecter even made sure I was storing my solid lead indoors where rain wouldn't drain off of it.

dragon813gt
09-24-2017, 10:36 PM
Check your local fire code. Most limit you to 20lb of any powder in a residence with or without a magazine.
No they don't. It's 20#s in factory containers. 50#s in a proper magazine. Most fire code is tied to IBC which references NFPA guidelines.

I don't understand why there is always misinformation about storage limits. The only way you can know is to find out what they are in your area. There are still plenty of places that don't have any code. And then you have the state of Maryland where you can't even have one eight pound jug in your house because it's over the limit.

Code is one a way they could come after components. But it's definitely a don't tell anyone anything situation. Why would the local authorities know I was storing lead at my house? They wouldn't because I'm not telling and they have no cause to inspect my property.

PerpetualStudent
09-25-2017, 12:50 PM
I'm in my "sunset" years - but I have often thought and am still thinking that a good quality "air rifle" might be a good thing to have. When we were kids there were the Sheridan and the Benjamans (sp?) that worked pretty well with a lead pellet. I am not well versed on what is out there today but thee seems to be some pretty decent ones. If reloading supplies, etc. started to dry up again, one would still allow a person to at least target shoot and plink and I'm thinking that the velocity out of some would certainly take care of small critters, etc.
Lot of wisdom in this thought. The Decent multipump pneumatics are ~150-200 bucks now, generally limit you to the .177 and .22 caliber pellets. Torn between that and making the jump up to PCPs. More investment but then you can bump up to calibers you can cast for.

hiram1
09-28-2017, 01:46 PM
1000 rounds for the guns i have per gun. and reloading toys for that much more but i shoot a lot to.

gwpercle
09-28-2017, 04:34 PM
Here's how to tell you have enough:
1. The State Fire Marshall launches an investigation into how much ordinance you are keeping .

2. The family has an intervention on you.

3. Hoarders wants to do a special show on you , the top ten hoarders in America with explosives .

DerekP Houston
09-28-2017, 05:00 PM
I'm actually reviewing rounds for my CCW again, might be ordering a case each for my carry guns so I have consistent ammo for them. Was reviewing lucky gunner ballistics tests vs what I can get my hands on. It's killing me to look at the prices but i figure it will last much longer than it used to as "only carry" ammo vs everyday range fodder.

BNE
09-28-2017, 10:14 PM
This is a good question that I have not figured out my answer to...yet.

I'm trying to have 500+ rounds for my assorted pistols, just so I can concentrate on one round and make a bunch without having to stop because I have none for my .38 etc.

I'm soon to be 48. I hope to shoot a LOT more when the kids are out of the house and then when I can retire. So, I am not really passing up anything if the opportunity and the funds are available. Most of the things we use will last for decades if stored properly. I hope to be able to pass any left overs on to a grandchild some day.

RogerDat
11-08-2017, 07:03 PM
It is easier to make an ammo can or zip lock baggie worth of a caliber or type of cartridge as one operation. Getting set up, and the components ready and a supply of ready brass, scale adjusted for checking this load and just generally good to go makes me want to run with it once I start. If I figure I'll use 20, I would make 50 or 100. For commodity ammo I tend to think in terms of quart or 1/2 gallon zip lock bags. If I'm going to set up to load .38 WC rounds why not make 250 or more while I have seating die adjusted. And then back seating die out and do a similar batch of a different 38 bullet. I already have everything else set, so why not just adjust powder drop, adjust scale for checking, adjust seating die and caliper and keep on rolling.

Same with casting. I'm on a roll so why not come out and do some more the next day? And the day after. One buys commercial cast lead bullets in boxes of 500 why would I make less than a box or two when I'm casting?

I always like to have some cast, and brass available for reloading a few fairly quickly to try something out but in normal course I just believe in a well stocked pantry and figure the loaded cartridge is a superior way to store components. Up to a point. And as already pointed out that point is different for different people or even different calibers. 1000 rounds for an auto loader with detachable 30 round magazines isn't a lot. In 357 magnum it would be a bit of overkill, while 250 rounds wouldn't. None of this counts the odd & experimental stuff. 25 to try using a different powder, or different weight bullet, or seating differently. or different gas check. Seems I always have some of those odd lot loads around.

If I'm dead I guess the kids can shoot my reloads, make their own, or buy store bought. I won't have any say or control over it.

dragon813gt
11-08-2017, 07:28 PM
If I have a line I should probably write it down. I found eight fifty cal ammo cans full of 22lr yesterday. Completely forgot I had them. Only one of them was full of "Golden Turds". But there were many thousands of them. The others were mostly M22 which is the only ammo that works in all my 22s. Found a bunch of other cans as well mostly full of factory centerfire rifle rounds. One of them was the surplus DAG 308 ammo I knew I had but lost track of. I guess if you lose track of your supply you're over the line. Especially in my case because I'm highly organized.

GhostHawk
11-08-2017, 10:35 PM
Where do you draw the line? That seems to be the question.

If you need it, and don't have it, and don't have the componants to make it, well your up that smelly creek with no paddle are you not?

On the other hand if you have it and don't need it. Well someone would someday love to have it I bet.

Still sitting on close to 30 lbs of Red Dot, more primers than I want to count, and a nice if not huge stash of lead. Brass in abundance in most flavors. 25 lb boxes of 9mm, .40sw, and .45acp.

More .223 and 7.62x39 than I am likely to fill in my lifetime. Especially now that my shooting has slowed down.

I got to get out of town, back in the country where I can on a nice day walk out the door and let fly. Getting too old, too much work to pack it all up, load it, drive to the range, unload it, shoot, pack it all up, load it, unload it, unpack it. Then I spend 2-3 days recovering. Then it is reload what I shot up time. Too much like work. Getting lazy in my old age I guess.

crowbuster
11-08-2017, 11:48 PM
No lines for me. Nuff said

opos
11-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Got what I go and it's paid for..my guess that in Nutifornia the prices and values will never go down again...regardless...with the new laws about ammo (and who knows about components) what "lives here" is just ducky and my close friends and few family that have any interest will get a nice present when I "take the train". When it comes to the Gubberment laying out the quantities that they feel are right...I'm probably going to look at that as the first "offer" in a long bidding war and nobody knows the final outcome

Grmps
11-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Something like this should do it :)

https://i.imgur.com/CcsWzzb.jpg

troyboy
11-09-2017, 07:10 PM
It all boils down to consumption. You use what you use and plan accordingly. Really simple.

rondog
11-09-2017, 07:55 PM
When it gets to the point where I have to move because I'm out of storage space, then we'll talk.....

rondog
11-09-2017, 07:56 PM
If I have a line I should probably write it down. I found eight fifty cal ammo cans full of 22lr yesterday. Completely forgot I had them. Only one of them was full of "Golden Turds". But there were many thousands of them. The others were mostly M22 which is the only ammo that works in all my 22s. Found a bunch of other cans as well mostly full of factory centerfire rifle rounds. One of them was the surplus DAG 308 ammo I knew I had but lost track of. I guess if you lose track of your supply you're over the line. Especially in my case because I'm highly organized.

Labelmaker, bro - gitcha one!

dverna
11-09-2017, 08:38 PM
I do not worry about codes. But I do not keep any primers or powder in the house.

When I run out of space, I will put up another building.

BTW, most places do not require a permit to put up a 10x10 shed. Put it in a shady spot and fill it up.

I do not like lines....I color outside the line.

brewer12345
11-09-2017, 09:41 PM
After starting to hunt and shoot as an adult just before the '13 panic started, I learned my lesson quickly. I feel like I came to this relatively late in life, so I don't want to miss opportunities in the future due to political stupidity or panics. So I am stocking up and I wanted to learn to cast to avoid problems in the future. I have a little more stocking up to do before the next election, and eventually I will buy a muzzleloader and study up on making homemade powder.

RED BEAR
11-09-2017, 10:23 PM
To brewer12345 I would suggest a flint lock as percussion caps might be hard to come by and not sure where to get sulfur. But I do know that matches work really good as a slow burning powder but are hard on a barrel. As to the original question I try to keep enough for me my kids my grandkids and any family not smart enough to stock up. Since I am not sure how much that is I am sure I do not have enough yet. Plus bing retired I really enjoy casting and reloading. When it isn't fun any more I will have enough until then just keep reloading.

JBinMN
11-09-2017, 11:07 PM
I really appreciate seeing the posts about this subject. It gives me, and others, an idea of the different outlooks that folks have about what they are thinking & doing, as well as how others look at the situations regarding how much folks might want to keep on hand & what they are willing to chance that they may have trouble finding what they want/ need for supplies due to the changing political climate & other such impacts on availability of components.

So, far it has been informative for me, at least.
Thanks again for the input!

dragon813gt
11-09-2017, 11:24 PM
Something like this should do it :)

https://i.imgur.com/CcsWzzb.jpg

This pic has always made me so wonder if the ammo cans are full. And if it's really cans stacked on top of each other. The cost of the cans alone is quite high. Let alone any ammo that's in them. Even if it's a staged pic someone has money tied up in ammo cans [emoji23]

RogerDat
11-14-2017, 12:06 AM
Thing about self sufficiency for "zombie apocalypse" or supply in the face of government restriction is it presumes we would use our supplies in same way we currently do. I expect if the components or ammo became scarce we would be more judicious in using our existing supplies. Unlikely to do range time and burn through ammo for pleasure if we doubted we would be able to replace it.

It may well be those ammo boxes are photoshop or could be from a reseller who buys in bulk for resale at gun shows or through online sales.

Grmps
11-14-2017, 04:47 AM
This pic has always made me so wonder if the ammo cans are full. And if it's really cans stacked on top of each other. The cost of the cans alone is quite high. Let alone any ammo that's in them. Even if it's a staged pic someone has money tied up in ammo cans [emoji23]

Or they are selling them, got a good deal -- surplus

Grmps
11-14-2017, 04:54 AM
This is a good question that I have not figured out my answer to...yet.

I'm trying to have 500+ rounds for my assorted pistols, just so I can concentrate on one round and make a bunch without having to stop because I have none for my .38 etc.

I'm soon to be 48. I hope to shoot a LOT more when the kids are out of the house and then when I can retire. So, I am not really passing up anything if the opportunity and the funds are available. Most of the things we use will last for decades if stored properly. I hope to be able to pass any left overs on to a grandchild some day.

give the man a prize.
Guns, ammo, reloading equipment & supplies are a good investment.

When has a quality firearm ever depreciated in value?

If/when the feces hits the fan what will be of value? gold, jewels, money won't be able to protect you or put food on your table.

robg
11-14-2017, 05:46 AM
limited here to whats on your licence eg 1000 max each cartridge I have on licence to shoot .

RogerDat
11-14-2017, 02:33 PM
limited here to whats on your licence eg 1000 max each cartridge I have on licence to shoot .
See that is the nice part about reloading components can become different cartridges. If that Unique powder is going into shotgun shells its not going to count for as many as it will make in pistol rounds.

TXGunNut
11-14-2017, 02:46 PM
I worked with inventory control for quite a few years. In my loading room I only have a general idea of the inventory on hand and I have no desire to quantify it. Inventory control is my vocation and I have no desire to do it at home. THAT'S where I draw the line. ;-)

JBinMN
11-14-2017, 03:10 PM
I worked with inventory control for quite a few years. In my loading room I only have a general idea of the inventory on hand and I have no desire to quantify it. Inventory control is my vocation and I have no desire to do it at home. THAT'S where I draw the line. ;-)

LOL
:D

Last sentence sums your situation up nicely. I like it. Good one!
;)

JBinMN
11-14-2017, 03:27 PM

This is the situation that concerns me a bit. I can understand your plight & hope they don't try that here. That would be one of the next steps that would be tried, IMO.

Calif. is one that has outlawed lead projectiles as I understand it. Just one of the components of our craft. If the focus turns to components, then where one "draws the line", can significantly change I am thinkin'. It does not have to be "availability" so much, even though the thought of such controls makes me think folks would "make a "run" on components creating a rush for them so folks can be "grandfathered" in what they already have. But, that would not only make the cost go up, but also create part of the situation RogerDat mentioned earlier in post#66 about changes in usage habits depending on where one "draws the line".

I do not keep "inventory" too accurately, just offhandedly know what I have & can afford to get/replace. Although I think I would do some sort of assessment should the "winds of change" in efforts to control, swing to that regulation of the components rearing up.

I intend to continue to add as I can , since I am on a limited budget for such things, so I do not think I have really drawn a line in regard to where I stop in gathering components. I think I may have a bit of a line on what I have "assembled". That is pretty much where I left it before, IIRC. With now pretty much only making more when the ones I make are fired, & for testing other components for future info/knowledge of their combinations. Then replacing as I go, but not significantly changing what I currently have on hand.

My mind is not "made up" yet & that is why I appreciate the replies here.

Thanks again for sharing!

anothernewb
11-14-2017, 03:42 PM
When you look at your stash and consider it will last you a lifetime. then it's just enough.

rondog
11-14-2017, 03:55 PM

That's somebody that bought a few pallets of surplus cans at a Gov auction. I buy cans from a guy in Colorado Springs that does that, he has mountains of them in all sizes. And everything else the Gov and military sells off.