PDA

View Full Version : Lee Lead pot problem

ARKLITE881South
09-17-2017, 12:21 PM
My wife found a small lee electric pot at a yard sale, It works like a charm in respect that it melts lead, the temp is fully adjustable , and its in good shape. But, the pour spout seems to be plugged, it won't even drip:grin:. I've heated a couple of small batches of lead , hoping that it would eventually start moving lead through the spout. No dice! Is it possible to remove and clean the orifice on the spout? Or is it replacement time. Thanks

jaguarxk120
09-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Sounds like the pot needs a very good cleaning.
Remove the valve rod and poke a wire up through the spout.

Mike W1
09-17-2017, 12:45 PM
From a file where I'd saved other comments on pots. Maybe it'll help you.

5/64" is the correct specification for the spout hole on Lee Pots. If that size
drill won't pass through a cold clean spout, the spout is clogged or damaged
and needs to be re-drilled to 5/64".

They can also be safely drilled the next size larger at 3/32". Larger will be
over flow.

I keep mine at 5/64' and have no difficulty pouring 6 cavity molds quickly
with a continuous connected single sprue puddle across all six sprue gate
holes.

5/64" = .078125
3/32" = .09375

Plunger rod measures about .189"
11/64" = .171875

10# DO NOT seal on the tapers!!!!!!

Nozzle hole and plunger hole are NOT ON THE SAME PLANE!!!!!

ARKLITE881South
09-17-2017, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the help, i'm on the right track, have cleaned the pot, and carefully drilled out the pour end of the spout, did not enlarge it. Have also took out the valve rod, cleaned it, and didn't get the inlet to the spout cleaned out yet, i'm sure its plugged. I did heat some lead to a full liquid consistency to see if it would help to clean out the intake hole. I just melted a small amount of lead to heat up the intake side of the spout, then dumped it out. Still plugged on that side. Guess drilling it is the next option, I'll stay with the smallest drill bit just to get it started. Thanks for the help

Taylor
09-17-2017, 04:58 PM
sometimes I put a propane torch to the spout to get it flowing.

lwknight
09-17-2017, 04:58 PM
Since it came from source unknown, it might have zinc in the nozzle. It has a higher melting point so you might be able to help the heat a bit with a plumbers torch on the spout. I did not have a zinc problem but pure lead plugged my spout and would not pour till I got everything hotter than I normally would for casting alloy.
Anyway drilling through is pretty sure to clear the problem.

dikman
09-17-2017, 07:17 PM
I'm with Taylor, try a propane torch on the spout. When I'm casting occasionally the spouts on both my RCBS and Lee "freeze" up. I keep a Dremel gas torch handy (small pin-point flame) and a few seconds of that usually clears it up.