PDA

View Full Version : 313492BM - What's "BM"?

StanDahl
11-17-2005, 01:22 AM
I picked up this mould a few months ago from my usual gun show source. It's a cute little wadcutter with an odd stepped point, like a very short SWC. While looking at the Lyman Mould Chart from Old Buffalo, and not seeing it there, I noticed the "BM" after the 313492. The "M" is raised up half a step above the B - superscript style. I didn't see a reference to this lettering on another Lyman list that Harry O posted on the last board in 2003. There's no bevel on the boolit anywhere, either. Any ideas?

9.3X62AL
11-17-2005, 11:54 AM
I can't assist much with the "B" or "M" markings, but I do have an example of this mold also--a 2-cavity bought new in 1980~ lacking any prefix or suffix letters. It is still in its orange cardboard box with metal corners. I don't think I've swung its sprue plate for 10 years--after I got the RCBS 98 SWC, the WC mold didn't get much use. It's a good, accurate little boolit in the 32 S&W Long, but mine has the wadcutter habit of tumbling at ranges much past 60 yards when started at 750 FPS in the SWL. I should warm this one up and pour a few to try in the 32 Magnum, I suppose.

floodgate
11-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Stan:

On the "B M" marking on your #312492 mould, this seems to be some sort of "quality control" code indicating the machine or operator (or posible a coded date of production). It doesn't seem to have anything to do with bullet stule, weight, diameter, etc.

floodgate

carpetman
11-17-2005, 01:45 PM
BM is pretty standard--it is bowel movement. Bullshop and Starmetal were talking of combining and perhaps they came up with BM for Bullmetal. That too would be BM.

Bullshop
11-17-2005, 02:13 PM
BM is pretty standard--it is bowel movement. Bullshop and Starmetal were talking of combining and perhaps they came up with BM for Bullmetal. That too would be BM.
Hey Carpetman
Be nice now! That BullMetal would be BM (big mistake)!
I thought BM was a biker term refering to the size of female riders.
BIC/BS

w30wcf
11-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Bullshop,

Perhaps it indicates that it was originally a Belding & Mull design. They made bullet molds back in the "good ole days".

w30wcf

StanDahl
11-19-2005, 01:27 AM
Hmm...all interesting ideas. I'm pretty sure Carpetman is the one who's lying in this "Liars Club" edition, because if anyone tried to unload of these moulds through the dumper it would probably sting.

I wonder if there's a Belding and Mull list like the Lyman list recently posted?

I'm going to guess that after trying them I'll be going back to the RCBS 99 grainer, like DA says.

Thanks, Stan

floodgate
11-19-2005, 02:26 AM
"I wonder if there's a Belding and Mull list like the Lyman list recently posted?"

Stan:

I've collected about twenty B & M Handbooks from 1924 up until they stopped making moulds, and plan to work up a similar chart, but am bogged down on some other stuff right now. If there's a specific bullet or bullets you'd like info on, PM me and I'll look it up.

It may be of interest that for a brief while in 1924-26 or so, they would make moulds of pure nickel. No rust, held the heat well (poor conductivity), but expensive due to slow cutting and excessive tool wear. I don't have one, but a couple of friends do; if you spot a B&M mould stamped "NICKEL", grab it and let me know ASAP.

floodgate

Four Fingers of Death
11-19-2005, 07:33 AM
Is it a real flat nose?

StanDahl
11-20-2005, 12:52 AM
It is a flat point, but there's a 0.22" (5.5mm?) wide flat at the tip, and a 0.05" (about 1mm) step-down from the 'nose'. The main diameter at the nose is about 0.305" (7mm?) Sorta like this, if you picture the '|'s as short as the middlepiece: _|—|_ (Cheap metric conversions in case the English system is just a dim memory down under.) Stan