PDA

View Full Version : Hodgen powder

RED BEAR
09-16-2017, 12:53 PM
How do you tell if a powder is bad just opened a new can of h 4198 and there is no smell but most of the grains look as if greenish as if brass had tarnished . opened another can and the same thing checked and they have the same lot number .both were sealed it has not been very long since I bought them ( in last 2 years). But I bought them from a small gun store so not sure how long they had it. Just wondering if it is safe to load with? Any opinions. Thanks

knifemaker
09-16-2017, 01:32 PM
I use 4198 and the powder should not be greenish. For two pounds of powder, not worth the chance of bad powder. I would use it as fertilizer on the wife's rose garden.

RED BEAR
09-16-2017, 01:43 PM
204158204159 picks of the powder in question on paper imr 4198 in trickler.

centershot
09-16-2017, 01:45 PM
Some Hodgdon powders have a greenish tint to them, Varget being one that I use regularly. Give a call or email to Hodgdon and see what they say.

RED BEAR
09-16-2017, 01:50 PM
i will give them a call when they open monday and see what they have to say. both cans looked the same as well as a very small amount out of a old can. being on a fixed income 2 cans of powder is a big deal to me ( also quite cheap). but saying that i do not want any one to get hurt . thanks

EMC45
09-16-2017, 10:00 PM
Some Hodgdon powders have a greenish tint to them, Varget being one that I use regularly. Give a call or email to Hodgdon and see what they say.

Yup, Varget has a yellowy green tint to it.

dragon813gt
09-16-2017, 10:02 PM
If it's bad there will be a heavy smell of solvents and a reddish rust like substance in the can. You can't miss the smell.

runfiverun
09-16-2017, 10:05 PM
so does the old clay's, and 4227.
heck the new Universal is Purple.

bad powder gives off gucky fumes you can see them emanate from the can.
and it gets all clumpy, wet like even, or with a red dust.

woodbutcher
09-16-2017, 10:08 PM
:grin: Be sure to tell them the lot numbers too.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

shooterg
09-16-2017, 10:27 PM
Me, I'd load a round and give it the boom test !

RED BEAR
09-17-2017, 09:09 AM
my sense of smell is not the greatest but it has no smell at all to me. i would load one up and just try it but i am the lucky type that one would be the one to blow up. at first thought the worst that would happen was maybe a squib until i looked on line and saw barrels blown up. dount want that for me and really do not want that for any family . thanks to all that replied will post if i come up with a definite answer.

white eagle
09-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Me, I'd load a round and give it the boom test !

I'm with ya on that one

Kosh75287
09-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Me, I'd load a round and give it the boom test! I'd make it a STARTING load, if you do that...

RED BEAR
09-17-2017, 11:30 AM
I must travel 50 miles to shoot there is a range closer but the membership fee is cost prohibitive. So I travel to brothers house he has a range in back yard.plus get to visit. But the boom test is not that easy for me. When young lived in black water swamp and loved it open back door and target Patrice after small bear chased power company man on top of house my better half refused to live there. So no more shooting out the back door. Now I live in with the drug addicts criminals and weardos in suburbs. Well got a little off track.

fatelk
09-17-2017, 12:17 PM
Powder companies change formulas and suppliers over the years sometimes. I've used a lot of 4895 over the years and remember being taken aback a few years ago when I opened a new can and it was a light greenish color instead of the usual gray. Turns out it was just a variation in manufacturing and it burned just like the old stuff and shot fine.

If it looks clean otherwise and doesn't smell bad, it's probably fine.

RED BEAR
09-17-2017, 08:25 PM
I guess what bothers me more than the greenish color is it is not all that color some it dark grey (what I am used to) and some is greenish . it is hard to see in the pics but that's the best camera I have.

fatelk
09-18-2017, 11:02 AM
I didn't realize that. That is concerning, if the color isn't uniform throughout. It's not moldy or clumped? I wonder if someone mixed two different lots? Do the different color grains look the same shape and size otherwise?

woodbutcher
09-18-2017, 11:29 AM
:) Hi fatelk.In his first post,he says it was a new container.So factory screw up maybe?
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

fatelk
09-18-2017, 02:08 PM
Sorry, missed that. That is concerning on new powder (any powder actually). I think you're right to call the manufacturer to see what they say.

RED BEAR
09-18-2017, 04:49 PM
well talked to hodgen and they said it is normal . the greenish color is the natural color of powder before coating with graphite and that they try to use as little graphite as possible and it is not abnormal for some grains to have a little more graphite than others. they also said this is a common question so do not feel quite as foolish. well thanks to all who weighed in.

bdicki
09-18-2017, 05:09 PM
Good to know, thanks for sharing.