PDA

View Full Version : Casting for rifles vs. handguns

brewer12345
09-15-2017, 02:06 PM
While I wait for my casting equipment to arrive I have been doing my reading. I will be starting out with boolits for 38/357 since I shoot a lot of them and the casting should be relatively forgiving. However, as soon as I feel like I have gotten the technique down I will be moving on to casting for rifles, specifically 35 Rem at first. My goal will be a gas checked, flat nose boolit that is suitable for mule deer and hogs, but which I can also use for general target duty.

For 38s, it seems like straight COWWs (perhaps with a bit of tin) will do it nicely. What about for 35 Rem? The Lyman cast manual gives nice data but everything is cast of Lyman #2 at 16 BHN and they strongly suggest keeping velocities to no more than 1600 fps to avoid leading in microgroove barrels (which is what I have). OTOH, I see posters here using considerably softer alloys (50/50 WW/lead) and driving such bullets at 2000+ fps. Is there a good place to start as far as alloys go? Water quenching necessary? I would think that something in the neighborhood of 1800 FPS would probably be my goal for a hunting load and as a meat hunter I like the idea of a slower lead boolit that damages less meat than a very high speed jacketed projectile. After all, that is why I use the 35 instead of the30-06 for hunting in the first place.

sharps4590
09-15-2017, 02:25 PM
Learn one thing at a time and stick to what is known. It's possible you can open more cans of worms than you can get the lid back on. Lyman # 2 or its equivalent is never wrong. After a few thousand bullets you can stretch your legs by changing one thing at a time in the process of seeking better results.

Water quenching is not necessary
Assuming a 200 gr., 35 cal. bullet, 1600 fps will kill any deer on the planet.
Bullet fit is more important than alloy.

Duckiller
09-15-2017, 03:38 PM
If we are to believe numerous posts here the 1600fps barrier for microgroove barrels is regularly exceeded by members. Try it it may work for you. If you are casting plain base boolits for your 38/357 use them in your 35 Rem. see how they work. A range session will tell you how good you are doing with casting. If you have problems ,let us know we will try to help. Gas checks are not mandatory for rifle boolits. However GC boolits without checks don't shoot as good as plain base boolits. Don't be intimidated by the process. Buffalo hunters did it over Buffalo Chip fires . all you need is some heat and patience. .This hobby is habit forming. Do it and enjoy it or run away.

Scharfschuetze
09-15-2017, 04:08 PM
I would think that something in the neighborhood of 1800 FPS would probably be my goal for a hunting load and as a meat hunter I like the idea of a slower lead boolit that damages less meat than a very high speed jacketed projectile.

That's a good goal to strive for with your rifle. I would suggest a gas check for velocities over 1,200 fps in your rifle, although I get up to 1,600 fps out of a 357 Magnum rifle using 180 grain bullets without a gas check with no signs of leading.

Size your rifle bullets larger than your revolver bullets, say .360" to start with. If the bullet is designed for a handgun, it'll still shoot pretty well from either the rifle or handgun at that diameter.

My favorite 35 cal rifle bullet (in the 358 Winchester or 35 Whelen) is the RCBS 35-200 design. The one below is cast from old wheel weights from my stash of tin rich COWW circa the 1970s and 80s.

sharps4590
09-16-2017, 07:17 AM
I'll give a hearty second to the RCBS 35-200 Scharfschuetze mentions. I use it in 3 different 9mm rifles and it's been great.

myg30
09-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Brewer, I cast mostly 50/50 pb/ww little tin if fill out is needed in 9,.38/.357, I don't push the magnums and the gas check makes up for the softer mix. Bullet fit is king !
The Marlin .35 gets same 50/50 soft lead and ww. I concur the 35-200gc mold. I believe I size .360 too. Some of those .38's I size .356,57,58 and .359 depending on the mold and fire arm I'm shooting in.

Good luck, be safe always and please use your ppe ! ( personal protective equipment.)
Tinsel fairy can and will visit most that cast when you least expect it.

It's a very addictive hobbie. Enjoy. Mike

MyFlatline
09-17-2017, 06:38 PM
Wow, 16 BHN sounds high but then again I powder coat. I love the 35-200 fn, mine drop about 217 in one mold and 207 in the other. Both are gas checked and I found great accuracy at about 1800 fps.

As for casting for a pistol vs rifle..it all depends. I don't hunt with a pistol, so accuracy is not quite as important as in the rifle. I cast and load for 5 35 Marlins, they all love the .360 sizing, 2 of them prefer the 207 bullet over the 217..Each gun is different, keep that in mind.

Best of luck and have some fun.

lightman
09-17-2017, 07:08 PM
To me, casting for pistols was easier than for rifles. Clip-on wheelweights should do fine in your 35 Remington. You have lots of options like the others have listed above. COWW + a little tin, COWW cut with soft + a little tin, lots of good choices. Size matters more than hardness.

brewer12345
09-17-2017, 09:28 PM
Thanks, guys. Guess I will finally have to learn to slug a barrel when I am ready to start working with the 35. Oddly enough I have never done anything special with 38s in my Rossi lever and the Missouri Bullet bullets at 12 BHN and sized to 358 have accuracy much better than my poor eyesight will do with a peepsight.

Landy88
09-19-2017, 03:30 AM
The greater practical accuracy of rifles and longer typical ranges of use make an even more critical eye during bullet inspection and sorting worthwhile.