PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lyman 45 lubrisizer

tazman
09-15-2017, 08:41 AM
I have a Lyman 45 lubrisizer I have had for decades but never used. I got it out and set it up to size a batch of 452374 boolits becuase I was having issues with the boolits not chambering due to a tight chamber and the tumble lube I was using.
This method of sizing & lubing cleared up the issue nicely.
The question I have concerns the bearing surface area on the sides of the boolits. It seems that the side of the boolit facing me gets sized farther up toward the nose than anywhere else on the boolit. It doesn't matter how I orient the boolit in the sizer before I pull the handle. This happens with other boolits sized in the same sizing die as well.
I am wondering if the sizing die is out of alignment and if so how do I fix it?
The die seems to fit tightly in the machine. I really don't want the boolits to be sized off center/out of alignment.

Hickory
09-15-2017, 09:03 AM
I had a RCBS sizer/luber that was bored off center or was warped out of alignment to where the plunger that held the top punch forced the boolit off center in the sizing die. I called the company and sent it back and got a new one.
This was back in the 70's.

tazman
09-15-2017, 09:18 AM
I have another question. Assuming I need to get a different machine, which is better, Lyman 4500 or RCBS LAM2?

mwells72774
09-15-2017, 09:23 AM
I've got a 4500 that does the same thing but mostly with 9mm or other RN projectiles. Even with the correct top punch it'll still do it so I just don't cast for 9

Geezer in NH
09-15-2017, 09:42 AM
Try keeping the top punch screw loose you can keep the punch stuck in place with a little bullet lube. That may give enough play to align the punch and die, it has worked for me.

dsh1106
09-15-2017, 09:43 AM
- TEST -
Take one of your 452374 boolits and size it nose down with a flat nose punch (or something that will lay flat on the back of the boolit), if this sizes evenly all the way around then your punch and die are out of alignment.

**You'll have to adjust the return screw to allow the 452374 boolits to enter the sizing die freely

tazman
09-15-2017, 10:48 AM
I have a Lee push through that I have been using and it sizes evenly all the way around.
I will try loosening the top punch screw but the top punch seems too fit tightly.

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-15-2017, 11:29 AM
From what you said, it sounds like the lubesizer isn't aligned perfectly.
You should be able to see this mis-alignment, when you look closely at the Die opening, when you lower the top punch into the Die.
If the lubesizer is mis-aligned, you have two options.
One, is to use only a flat faced Top Punch.
Two, is to reduce the mounting shank of the top punch, then 'shim' it into alignment while installing it into the lubesizer.

pjames32
09-15-2017, 11:53 AM
Try loosen the sizing die nut then run the tightened top punch into the die. Tighten nut while the top punch is in the die. This "might" align the sizing die. If not, melt the excess lube out of the sizing die space, then put the die in. You are not aligned.

tazman
09-15-2017, 03:36 PM
Try loosen the sizing die nut then run the tightened top punch into the die. Tighten nut while the top punch is in the die. This "might" align the sizing die. If not, melt the excess lube out of the sizing die space, then put the die in. You are not aligned.

There is no nut on the Lyman 45, only a set screw.

Tom Myers
09-15-2017, 04:19 PM
Back out the set screw.

tazman
09-15-2017, 09:03 PM
I will try backing out the set screw and loosening the top punch tomorrow. I just got home from a 2 and 1/2 hour trip getting and unloading some furniture for SWMBO and I am tired.

bdicki
09-15-2017, 10:40 PM
Could there be a bit of hardened lube in the hole that the die goes into holding it off center?

Beagle333
09-15-2017, 10:53 PM
The set screw can definitely move it enough to do that if it's too tight. I almost always use a flat top punch too. It's rare for me to need one with a nose shape, but I don't do rifle boolits on my 45.

MT Gianni
09-16-2017, 12:59 AM
This was an issue they fixed with the 450.

Cherokee
09-16-2017, 08:30 AM
My #45 worked great for many years. I now use a #4500 w/heater because I use CR lube. The set screw is the only thing holding the H&I die in place so can not loosen too much. Use a flat to seat the H&I die in place, then set the screw. Worked for me.

pjames32
09-16-2017, 03:41 PM
Sorry Tazman, I was thinking 450!

tazman
09-16-2017, 06:22 PM
I tried loosening the set screw that holds the die in place and loosening the thumbscrew that holds the top punch and letting the combination self align. It worked.
This stopped the off center sizing. The problem now is, the sizing die won't stay in place because the set screw isn't tight enough to hold it. If I tighten the set screw enough to hold it, the off center sizing comes back. Bummer.
It looks like I may be in the market for a new sizer.

mwells72774
09-16-2017, 07:54 PM
I wonder if there's some lube built up around the top of the sizer and or in the cup section of the nut

KenT7021
09-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Try placing a thin shim on the back side of the die if possible before tightening the screw.

JeffG
09-18-2017, 09:46 AM
My 4500 was initially misaligned but with a little time has worn into alignment, or should I say it got sloppy enough that all is well now. You might try just putting some bullet lube on the stem to just stick it in place. While the 4500 has done fine with time, I would probably buy the RCBS unit if I did it again. I've since come up with a 45, which has done fine too, just seems to require more effort.

Beagle333
09-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Try placing a thin shim on the back side of the die if possible before tightening the screw.

plus 1.

KenT7021
09-18-2017, 11:14 AM
I just looked at a 45 I use as well as a 450.They both size bullets concentrically.They both have a bit of play in the mechanism.I my case it doesn't effect anything.It might be possible to have a machine shop convert the 45 to use the retaining nut from a 4500 but you would probably have to furnish the tap and a special thread tap would be expensive.Drills and Cutters.com probably has the correct tap though.

NorthMoccasin
09-18-2017, 09:32 PM
I just looked at a 45 I use as well as a 450.They both size bullets concentrically.They both have a bit of play in the mechanism.I my case it doesn't effect anything.It might be possible to have a machine shop convert the 45 to use the retaining nut from a 4500 but you would probably have to furnish the tap and a special thread tap would be expensive.Drills and Cutters.com probably has the correct tap though.

Load some and shoot them. You may find out that they shoot fine as is. I know that may offend the perfectionists out there, but I have often found that less than perfect pistol bullets shoot just fine!

jeepyj
09-18-2017, 09:53 PM
When I'm using my 45 I can only slightly tighten the Allen set screw or it will leak the warmed lube. If I don't keep an eye on it, it will back out after 25-30 boolits. I actually leave a Allen wrench in it to easly keep it tightened the way I like it. You can possably deepen the set screw groove a bit so it holds the die in place but still have a little wiggle room as so not to be jammed to the back so hard with the set screw making it out of alignment.

tazman
09-18-2017, 11:41 PM
Load some and shoot them. You may find out that they shoot fine as is. I know that may offend the perfectionists out there, but I have often found that less than perfect pistol bullets shoot just fine!

I am going to do just that when my barrel gets back from Dougguy. Should be here in a day or two.

stubert
09-19-2017, 11:09 AM
Do you have access to a lathe? Cut a small groove around the top punch, use a little longer set screw and let the top punch float. It won't fall out with the set screw in the groove.

tazman
09-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Do you have access to a lathe? Cut a small groove around the top punch, use a little longer set screw and let the top punch float. It won't fall out with the set screw in the groove.

No I don't. I could cut a groove or notch with my dremel tool though. That should accomplish the same thing. Good suggestion.