PDA

View Full Version : Magnets and Guns

Grmps
09-12-2017, 03:38 AM
Searching the experience pool out there. I'm thinking about holding a gun under my nite stand using a strong magnet.

At this time I can't think of a problem with this so I'm asking you.

jeepyj
09-12-2017, 05:45 AM
I don't see a problem as long as your comfortable that it could be held securely. An idea to protect the guns finish maybe you could powder coat the magnet. Just a thought.
Jeepyj

jcren
09-12-2017, 08:12 AM
I have seen some of these factory, so I would figure it is ok. As a side note, Cook's holsters offers a "flat back" kydex with Velcro to mou t wherever you like for a very fair price.

Driver33
09-12-2017, 08:21 AM
If you use the magnet a piece of thin felt would help to protect the finish

JSnover
09-12-2017, 08:50 AM
It'll work (assuming no kids or pets in the house).

Omega
09-12-2017, 09:19 AM
They work good, I have a commercial version for just inside my travel trailer and some homemade ones using hard drive magnets. A piece of thin felt work good over the homemade ones, the commercial ones are imbedded in plastic.

If its for bedside use though, you can also look at these:
https://www.amazon.com/Explorer-Tactical-Mattress-Handgun-Flashlight/dp/B01GQWX8Q8
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71RmSigAMAL._SY355_.jpg

Mytmousemalibu
09-12-2017, 09:29 AM
Powder coat would probably protect the gun finish just fine but it has to be baked on and that might be a problem. Magnets have a curie point where heating it up to or near will permanently lose or significantly reduce the magnetic force. The curie point is dependent on the type of magnetic. Just a heads up.

NoAngel
09-12-2017, 09:45 AM
No need to powder coat, just use any number of plastic dips made for tool handles.

wlkjr
09-12-2017, 10:33 AM
I have one on my side of the bed that holds a G23. It's pretty strong and is made for that purpose. I bought several plastic coated magnets from K&J Magnetics and use one on a table by my easy chair. It holds a G20 loaded with 15 rounds of Underwood. That one is not even screwed to the metal table but holds it just fine.

JSnover
09-12-2017, 10:38 AM
No need to over-think it. I've used a piece of scotch tape over a magnet to prevent scratches.

Nueces
09-12-2017, 10:44 AM
A problem I see with magnets in this application is the very short range of attraction for most magnets. Thus, if something jars the gun loose (such as a grab fumble), holding power is lost and the gun is free. I have one of those flat back Cook Kydex holsters for carrying my Jeep gun on the back face of the center console, well made bit of kit.

Blogman
09-12-2017, 12:31 PM
$3.99 for a welding magnet at my local Family Center store. Spray on adhesive with felt and you're good to go.

AbitNutz
09-12-2017, 12:39 PM
On my new fangled polymer gun I used my daughter's hot glue gun...I thought about caulk at first but that was just silly.

country gent
09-12-2017, 12:43 PM
Long term on a magnet may cause some transfer to the steel of the fire arm and affect function of. Try drilling a hole in steel with a drill that's magnetized. It may not be a problem but in=der stress isn't the time to find out.

Grmps
09-12-2017, 12:57 PM
A lot of good food for thought

Artful
09-12-2017, 01:42 PM
I have used a shaped magnet as a bolt block (kept the bolt closed) on a Ruger 10/22 - I saw no negative effects - I also have seen Magnets sold at gunshows the both the purpose you describe and the one I liked was a metal hanger with the shotgun suspended by it's barrel from the magnet and a coat on the hanger - slick hiding place amongst the other coats.

Kestrel4k
09-12-2017, 01:45 PM
Some stainless is magnetic and some not. Now you've got me curious - will see if my SS revolvers are magnetic ...

samari46
09-12-2017, 10:14 PM
How many of you have an old computer sitting around that doesn't work anymore?. There are some really strong rare earth magnets in the hard drive. They are usually attached to a steel plate that can be drilled for mounting holes. I have one that really defies removing from my workbench. Felt, rubber gasket material can be glued on the magnet protecting your firearms finish. Just a suggestion. Frank

Grmps
09-13-2017, 03:02 AM
And the plot thickens, there is an assortment of magnets for guns on the web, I know -- just because something is being sold doesn't mean it's harmless. Really enjoying your input.

Ballistics in Scotland
09-13-2017, 06:12 AM
People have identified two of the problems. Some stainless steels are magnetic and others aren't. I don't have any stainless guns, or much else of all that confounded modernity that is around nowadays. But I have a stainless investment casting on my projects backlog to make a falling-block rifle someday, in a stainless steel I know the foundry used on a 9mm. automatic contract. It is magnetic, although perhaps a bit less so than carbon steel. But others may be non-magnetic. A magnetised gun won't jump out of your hand towards any steel object, or stop the slide from sliding. But it may pick up filings and small debris, which could cause a jam.

My wife once helpfully tidied up some of my odds and ends, including a couple of micrometers and a powerful neodymium magnet. I found the them together the following week, and found myself adding filings to the size of anything I measured. So I bought a demagnetiser, about $7 from China on eBay, and it solved the problem with that and many drills, taps etc. One big enough for a gun would be expensive, if you can find one, but very possibly there are firms that offer it as a service.

In a possibly perverse spirit of scientific inquiry I tried it on a small neodymium magnet, which flew at high velocity across the room as soon as I switched on.

Taylor
09-13-2017, 06:34 AM
I just leave mine on the night stand.

JBinMN
09-13-2017, 06:41 AM
I just leave mine on the night stand.

Me too. ;)

Kestrel4k
09-13-2017, 12:42 PM
[...] A magnetised gun ... may pick up filings and small debris [...]
That's a good point; I would be hesitant anyway and this would incline me further against that direction.

Blackwater
09-13-2017, 02:38 PM
My son has a number of these things in his office, truck and home, and he really likes them. He's a businessman, and likes things to be quick, easy and as near effortless as he can get them. These magnetic gun holders are a boon to him. He gave me one but I haven't installed it on my bed's frame yet, but will. He uses mostly a Glock 17, and keeps it with him everywhere he goes, practically. They're particularly good in a car. There's no real holster, and you can, if you angle them right, "draw" them VERY quickly and there's no arching your body to get to it. Probably the best "car holster" available, IMO. But choosing where to put them so they're not visible is important, and not all vehicles give a great choice of places to mount them.

Yeah, they might scratch a finish a little now and then, but that's what gunsmiths and refinishing processes are for, aren't they? Still, the felt and soft-grip stuff DO have merit. They don't trump security, but they still have merit. We've got to keep our priorities straight here, I think.

.22-10-45
09-13-2017, 02:57 PM
I had thought about using rare earth magnets as a way to hold scope mounts on antique rifles in order not to drill any holes or use adhesives and risk finish damage. However, I too thought about magnitizing the metal of firearm and attracting filings from workbench, etc. But what really convinced me was when I dropped a small tool in the dirt next to house & used a magnet to find it...the magnet was covered with magnetic "dirt"..I wondered who the heck was doing alot of grinding in that area, then it dawned on me it was natural iron in the soil! Probably not a good thing if firearm was ever laid on ground or handled with dusty hands.

reddog81
09-13-2017, 03:05 PM
I use magnets to hold magazines onto my gun safe. I just use some tape to hold the magnets in place and to prevent the magnets from coming loose when pulling off the magazines.

Other than making sure the magnet is strong enough and doesn't pull off when you grab the gun I think it would work.

Handloader109
09-14-2017, 08:37 PM
Alien gear has a new holster that will convert to several carry options, and along with It, it has a mount for a fixed surface, and a level 2 retention if wanted. Might be option to avoid magnet

Col4570
09-15-2017, 01:52 AM
Providing the Night Stand is heavier than the magnets power it would be a good instant access tool.

azrednek
09-15-2017, 03:19 AM
Long term on a magnet may cause some transfer to the steel of the fire arm and affect function of

I dam near got lost deer hunting years ago. My Voere rifle's barrel was strangely very magnetic and pulled my compass needle toward it. Fortunately I hadn't strayed to far out of the way before I figured it out.

Plate plinker
09-15-2017, 05:46 AM
Works just fine, the magnets that are sold for this purpose are very strong.

6bg6ga
09-15-2017, 06:13 AM
Put it on the night stand. No chance of scratching the finish and you'll be able to grab it if you need to.

toallmy
09-15-2017, 11:40 AM
Under the pillow is very comforting when I am traveling ,

Grmps
09-16-2017, 03:22 AM
If someone breaks in and I'm not home to show them the error of their ways, I would prefer my bedroom gun not be out in the open.