PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about leading

kd7kmp
08-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Howdy all,

I am relatively new to shooting boolits. I got into reloading a few months back and just started loading up cast boolits. My question is regarding what I am sure is a common subject, but a search didn't turn anything up. Anyhoo...

What does leading look like in the bore of a firearm? I have been shooting a lot of cast boolits out of my Marlin 336SS in 30-30 and my Taurus 627 Tracker in .357 Mag. My Marlin has MG rifling. Most of the boolits have been in the .310 to .309 range. When cleaning the 336, I will make a couple passes with a solvent soaked brush, then pass several solvent soaked patched down the bore. When the patches come out clean I make another pass with the brush and then more patches. After doing this a half dozen times, the patches continue to come out very dirty and black after each pass of the brush. I have been using Hoppes Elite bore cleaner, Hoppes #9 and another brand's Nitro Solvent. Am I using the wrong solvents or am I just not cleaning well enough.

I appreciate your help and comments.

Kevin

jonk
08-05-2008, 05:58 PM
The hoppes will slowly erode the bronze brushes; if you are using bronze that could be what you are seeing. Leading can vary from shards of lead to gray streaks- look at the muzzle under a strong light. If you see gray streaks you have leading. Which may or may not be a problem- depends on how severe it is.

My rule of thumb is to look at the first patch after brushing. If I see little glistening specks, I have leading. No specks, no problem.

cbrick
08-05-2008, 06:13 PM
kd7kmp, welcome to cast boolits. :-D

It kinda sounds like your simply still getting powder and lube fouling out of the bore as in black, dirty patches. Lube fouling can be a mess but it does clean ok.

As for leading and it's causes this article may help.

Leading Defined (http://www.lasc.us/TaylorLeadingDefined.htm)

Rick

runfiverun
08-05-2008, 08:08 PM
thats a pretty good article. and that g-96 nitro solvent will get a lot of crud outta a gun.

kd7kmp
08-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Thanks for all the help, guys. My Taurus runs VERY clean no matter what I seem to shoot out of it. But the Marlin seems to run dirtier.

Kevin

docone31
08-05-2008, 08:11 PM
I finish up firing a few jacketeds. Clean up is a snap.
I do like nice shiney bores with sharp rifleing.

jonk
08-06-2008, 09:05 AM
I finish up firing a few jacketeds. Clean up is a snap.
I do like nice shiney bores with sharp rifleing.

I used to do this. Then I found out if I got ALL the jacketed copper residue out (which is a pain to do every time) then leading was quite minimalized and much easier to clean if it did happen.

If I DO get leading though it is still a valid exercise.