PDA

View Full Version : Sass Help

cajun shooter
08-05-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm 61 and just getting started in Sass. I all ready had a Colt Cowboy 45 so I decided to stay with the big bore even though I hear the real gamers go with the light 38's. I'm not getting involved for any other reason than to meet some good people and have fun. What I need from anyone who will help and has some Sass shoots under the old belt is bullet weight and loads. Not mouse fart nor blow the barn down. I have put together the following in addition to the Colt. A Taurus SS Gaucho; Taurus SS Thunder and a Remington made in Russia. Lets see I'm potraying an American cowboy with one gun made in the USA two made in Brazil and one made in Russia. I'm open to all the help out there.

USARO4
08-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm no SASS shooter but I have a couple of Ruger 45s I reload for. My low to mid-range load is 4.5 grains of Hodgen's Clays under a 230gr Lee truncated cone, tumble lube bullet, lubed with JPW. OAL= 1.610. It's clean accurate and low recoil.

WildmanJack
08-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Cajun,
CSAR04 is right on the money., I shoot SASS with a couple of .357 Gaucho's, a .45 Winchester 94 AE, and one of those russian Remington Coach guns. I shoot my .45 Winnie with 4.4 grains of Clays under a 230 rnfp lead bullet. Dead accurate out to 50 yards with iron signts. But I'm going for a 93 Winchester octagon barrel in .45 colt as it is a much smoother action than the m odel 94 is. Oh yeah, getting back to using Clays, after shooting 100 rounds, you can look down the barrel and it appears that you have never even fired the gun. Amazingly clean burning powder. Just stay within the parameters. DON'T over load the gun...
Good shootin.
Jack

runfiverun
08-05-2008, 07:49 PM
that clays load is a good one under 160 to 250 gr boolits
titegroup 5gr to start is a good one also.

Blackhawk Convertable
08-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Most of the SASS shooters use a 200 grain bullet. One of my friends uses 4.7 grains of Trail Boss under that same bullet. I would give Promo a good look at for powder also. Very economical at $80 per keg and a starting load of 5 grains for the same bullet. I will be switching to that when my keg of Trail Boss is gone. You can use Promo for both the pistol/rifle and shotgun loads. Also I would go with a 7/8 oz. recipe for the shotgun. You will get more loadings per 25 lb. bag. There are a number of recipes for the 7/8 oz loads listed on Hodgdon and Alliant's web site. Oh, and for shotgun, if you are using a SxS double, use the smooth hulls such as AA Winchester or STS Remington's. They will slide out of the barrels much easier.

Morgan Astorbilt
08-06-2008, 01:28 AM
The 160gr. .45 bullet is becoming very popular. Lee makes a group sale 6 cavity mold for it. Not liking aluminum molds, I cut down an iron 4 cavity NEI 180gr. mold to 160gr. I use 4.25gr Bullseye in my Ruger New Vaqueros and Uberti Colt clones. Low recoil, without being a mouse fart load.
Shoot .38-40 in my rifles, an original Marlin 1894(made that year), and a short stroked Uberti '73. Load light 3/4oz. loads in 12Ga. for my Win. '97 and LC Smith.
I'm 68, been shooting SASS about five years, along with my son. We belong to three clubs, and shoot two or three matches a month. Great people to shoot with, more of a social occasion than any other shooting sport.
Morgan

Cherokee
08-06-2008, 01:31 PM
I use the RCBS 45-230CM bullet @ 230 gr from WW's. Sized 452 for my OM Ruger Blackhawk
SASS revolvers , Marlin 1894 or Uberti 1866, powered by 5.1 gr WST & lit by CCI LP in RP cases. Very accurate and no leading in my guns.

Springfield
08-06-2008, 06:29 PM
My wife and I have been in SASS since '99. She shoots 45 Colt, been using 200 grain RNFP LEE design bullets that I cast myself, with 5 grain of Trailboss working well for her. I am probably going to start her using some 165 grain bullets just to conserve my lead and maybe cut her recoil a bit. I use them in my '72 Opentops using Schofield Brass, they work great, hit to Point of Aim for me. But then I use Blackpowder. Her 7/8ths loads for her coachgun knock down all the targets just fine too. Go to Hodgden website and look up the youth loads for load info.

rugerdude
08-06-2008, 11:17 PM
If you want to have a blast and get some attention, load some good ole' 255 RNFP's over about 35 grains of blackpowder! Everybody for 2 stations in either direction will come over to see what the heck is going on! And I've discovered that cleaning up after BP isn't that difficult. Just get some windex with VINEGAR (NO AMMONIA!) and pour the bottle into a gallon jug and top off with tap water. Works great, very quick, and a gallon will last a while. Won't take much more than a standard cleaning and the fun you'll have at the match is worth it!:mrgreen:

Just Duke
08-07-2008, 01:53 AM
Lets see I'm potraying an American cowboy with one gun made in the USA two made in Brazil and one made in Russia. I'm open to all the help out there.

Know what you mean. I have 3 Japanese Winchesters.

cajun shooter
08-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Thanks for you all taking time to give this old new comer some help. Have already loaded up some of the Clays loads and I'm getting ready to load some Trail Boss loads. Only because I had these on hand. Will keep all and try. Thanks again fellas Cajun Shooter