PDA

View Full Version : Good news/ Bad news

Pipefitter
09-07-2017, 10:15 PM
First the good news; after working 6 days a week since the first of the year I finally get a break, gonna have at least 4 weeks off.

Now the bad news; the reason for my extended vacation is carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand yesterday. Doc said dont do anything that hurts, so reloading and shooting is on hold for at least a couple weeks (hey, it has been on hold since I started working 6 days a week anyway.....)
Strangely I was not put completely under for the surgery, talked and joked with the Doc and OR staff the whole time during the surgery.

xbeeman412
09-07-2017, 10:25 PM
Had that surgery on the right hand twice not all that bad. listen to the Drs

lightman
09-08-2017, 09:09 AM
Heck of a way to get a day off! Hope recovery goes well.

Hickok
09-08-2017, 09:15 AM
You still have your left hand, grab that hog leg and get to it!!!:redneck:.........:bigsmyl2:

bedbugbilly
09-08-2017, 09:35 AM
Do what the Doc says and you should revere fairly quick. It will be a big improvement over the pain you were having prior to the surgery! I had my right one done back about 1979 or so - the problems leading up to it were no fun and I have always worked with my hands. When mine was done - they used the "old technicue" which was way worse that what they do now.

You've been working hard and long hours so even though it sidelines you for some of the reloading, you can still use you other hand - sort, clean up the bench, etc. Take time to sit back and have that second cup of coffee in the morning - won't be long and you'll be up to sung again! Best of luck to you!

JBinMN
09-08-2017, 10:27 AM
G'luck with your recovery! Wishin ya the best!
:)

I had surgery on my right (strong side) elbow {cubital tunnel/ulnar nerve transposition), about a week ago & have been working on doing what I can to use my weak side to shoot & reload.

Maybe you can do the same after you get to feeling better soon. Worth trying anyway, eh?
;)
:)

Blackwater
09-08-2017, 06:46 PM
Hickock has the right idea. If you've ever attended training in law enforcement, you're taught to use the offside hand as well. Not a lot, but enough so that a life-saving last ditch effort won't be your "first time" at it. You can learn a lot from shooting with the offside hand. It can even make you notice some little something you do when shooting righty. So get on out there and try that left hand, and see how you do. I'm betting you'll be surprised at how good you get and how quickly you get there!

Hickok
09-09-2017, 08:31 AM
Hickock has the right idea. If you've ever attended training in law enforcement, you're taught to use the offside hand as well. Not a lot, but enough so that a life-saving last ditch effort won't be your "first time" at it. You can learn a lot from shooting with the offside hand. It can even make you notice some little something you do when shooting righty. So get on out there and try that left hand, and see how you do. I'm betting you'll be surprised at how good you get and how quickly you get there! It is a bit awkward at first, but it turns out to fun! Pipefitter, I do hope you recover fast and with little pain.:)

Pipefitter
09-09-2017, 09:10 AM
The pain is getting better, just starting to figure out how to do everything left handed. A few more days with the splint on, then another week before the stitches come out. Incision about 1 1/2" long in the palm of my hand near the wrist. Have mostly full movement in all my fingers, just cant bend my wrist.

Thumbcocker
09-09-2017, 09:40 AM
I had my right arm out of action after surgery some years ago. Decided to try shooting single actions one handed. Very interesting because you know what to do but have no muscle memory to do it. It is like learning to shoot again after knowing how to shoot. On the other hand it is amazing how quickly you can progress and get better. In my experience single action revolvers and 1911's are the easiest to shoot with your non dominant hand. Good luck.

MaryB
09-09-2017, 08:58 PM
Do the PT they assign! You will need to stretch the muscles after it heals. Been there twice on the right wrist for carpal tunnel and twice on the right shoulder for rotator cuff...

woodbutcher
09-09-2017, 09:23 PM
:) Had CT done about 1998 or 99.Right wrist first and the left almost one year later to the day.No problems since.Thank you Dr Geron Brown.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo