PDA

View Full Version : Slow heart rate

Thumbcocker
09-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Went in for a check up today. doc did an EKG. My resting heart rate was 46. Since I am an overweight 57 year old I can cross being in marathon running peak physical condition off the list of causes. Wearing a portable heart monitor tonight. Should be interesting.

CIC
09-07-2017, 09:12 PM
Thumbcocker, I hope that everything turns out alright. If you have any questions after talking to you doctor let me know. I spent several years working in as an RN in the cardiac ICU and in the electrophysiology lab. That is the area where they work on heart rhythm problems. I don't claim to be an expert but I might be able to interpret what the doc tells you.

NSB
09-08-2017, 05:05 PM
My resting heart rate has been in the high 40s and low 50s for close to forty years now...that I know of. That in itself isn't a problem. I'm 68 years old and it doesn't seem to be effecting me. Don't get too excited until someone tells you it is a problem. In fact, I just had my annual cardiac check up today and was pronounced "good to go". Good luck with it.

jmort
09-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Are you taking Beta Blockers???
My dad's rate dropped into the 30s and he was feeling low down.
He is 89
They had to put in a pacemaker to get it in the low 60s a few months ago
I am convinced Beta Blockers are poison

Thumbcocker
09-08-2017, 08:02 PM
Got the portable monitor taken off today. Looks like I lost a fight with a squid. I have new respect for swimsuit models.

Der Gebirgsjager
09-08-2017, 08:56 PM
Machines that run slower usually last longer.

Piedmont
09-08-2017, 11:37 PM
Machines that run slower usually last longer.

Yes. Pulse rate is an indicator of longevity. Slow is good, fast is bad.

Oily
09-09-2017, 07:57 AM
Prayers are with you my friend. Probably nothing to worry about unless you are feeling bad or lethargic. I am 58 and overweight and have (doctor syndrome) every time I see a doctor my heart rate and blood pressure go up. Keep us informed of your situation. Lots of love on this forum. And prayer does work!!!

jmort
09-09-2017, 08:59 AM
Since you ignored my post, I will merely add, it would not surprise me if you were on Beta Blockers. It will get worse if so. Good luck. In spite of posts saying a resting heart rate of 46 is great, obviously they are not cardiologists. It can be asymptomatic but is not a good thing in many cases.

Thumbcocker
09-09-2017, 09:32 AM
No beta blockers.

NSB
09-09-2017, 09:36 AM
Beta blockers are not bad regardless of what some people's opinions or them are. Many lives have been saved and lengthened by taking them where appropriate. Medical advice is best prescribed by a doctor, not a boolit caster. Sorry, I'm not trying to be offensive and start a fight, but your doctor is your best resource concerning your health.

sparky45
09-09-2017, 09:36 AM
My heart rate is usually in the low 80's, but that's while I'm taking a Beta Blocker. If I don't take my meds, the heart rate is in the mid 120's.

jmort
09-09-2017, 09:49 AM
Wow
I have to agree that you cannot catagorically say Beta Blockers are uniformly bad
Obviously
Just saw what happened to my dad
As mentioned, he now has a pacemaker to keep his heart rate up
He could barely move with his heart rate in the low 30s