PDA

View Full Version : Put my ole big guy down last night

Skunk1
09-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Life has been really tough around here and got worse last night. Had to put my saint down as he could no longer get up and was crawling everywhere he went. Kids first puppy almost 12 yrs ago. Good dog that loved kids. My niece is going to miss him most, she loved him more than anything.

RIP Big Tony

OS OK
09-07-2017, 07:49 PM
I'm sorry for your loss...God gives us these loving animals for only a short time and it tears our hearts out each time we have to put one down or loose one quietly in their sleep in the night.
They show us unconditional love like no other, each time we say, this is the last time I endure a loss like this! Yet each time God brings another into our lives that seems to eclipse the last.
I hope all your hearts mend soon, I'm very sorry... c h a r l i e

Grmps
09-07-2017, 08:02 PM
That's truly unfair, dogs love unconditionally, are mans best friend and have such a short life span.
Sorry for your loss

Skunk1
09-07-2017, 09:05 PM
It will be awhile before I get another. He was a good watch dog and loved them kids.

bayjoe
09-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. It's tough losing a four legged family member.

farmerjim
09-07-2017, 09:17 PM
It will be awhile before I get another. He was a good watch dog and loved them kids.

Don't wait. The next dog will never never be your ole big guy. They will have their own personality.
They will love you. I have been there . wife did not want another dog. Friend found a neighbors son that had a dog with puppies . We got one and our neighbor got another. The siblings played together till our Jake died young. His sister died a few months ago. Get another dog. you will never regret it.

runfiverun
09-07-2017, 09:31 PM
I never know what to say to someone that loses a dog.
their relationship is always nothing like the relationship I have with my dog or even a dog that wasn't mine but was a part of my life.
all I can do is feel the pain they feel because I have felt it before but I cannot feel their loss.
that loss is where the true pain comes from.

BNE
09-07-2017, 09:41 PM
I cried like a baby when I had to put my "Honey" down. She was the best dog ever, I waited almost two years before we got another. Now we have two and they are the best yet. It is hard to explain how much love and then loss you feel when they are gone.

buckwheatpaul
09-07-2017, 09:52 PM
I am truly sorry for your loss....there is nothing as genuine as the love of a dog (God spelled backwards) and it is a really terrible job when you have to have to put one down. It has always been my job as my wife cant and wont.....the vet cries and I cry.....they are our children and we love them accordingly.....I believe in the rainbow bridge theory and know that they are all waiting for us.....Paul

lightman
09-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Truly sorry for your loss!

MaryB
09-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Lonegun1894
09-07-2017, 10:55 PM
There's no words that do this justice, so for lack of a better way, I'm sorry you lost your loved one. They always get taken way too soon.

poppy42
09-07-2017, 11:34 PM
So sorry for your loss. I definitely feel your pain. I fear that I will be put in a similar situation in the near future. My 12+ year old German Shepherd had a stroke about 2 months ago. Miraculously she recovered and shows almost no ill effects. I really thought I was going to loose her 2 months ago. I'm as happy as a pig in slop she is doing so well but, realistically, at over 12 I know the end can come at any time.

Kosh75287
09-08-2017, 12:51 AM
I'm no stranger to this situation, and the only thing worse is losing a child. That's a thing I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Col4570
09-08-2017, 02:29 AM
In the ever fast pace of modern living the relationship between a dog and his/her owners is a treasure that transcends that frantic state.Be strong and reflect on the good and quiet times you had with your loved companion.

Lloyd Smale
09-08-2017, 04:10 AM
Feel for you. Probably nothing harder other then loosing a family member and even then id call it a tie because they are

big bore 99
09-08-2017, 04:52 AM
Sorry for your loss, It's never just a dog.

Hickok
09-08-2017, 08:38 AM
So sorry for your loss. They are faithful and true friends.

bedbugbilly
09-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Truly sorry Skunk1 and my thoughts and prayers are with you - it's one of the hardest things a person has to do but it also is the great act of love that you can give. My wife and I don't have kids - our dogs are our "kids". Been married 45 years and we've had, I think, ten different dogs during that time. We started out with one and then got another one for "company" for the first dog - we've had two dogs and sometimes three always. Every one has been their own little personality, but every one of the has been totally devoted and give unconditional love . . . and they got the same in return. You and your family will never forget but each day will get a little easier and always hold the good memories of the close to your heart as they'll always be there. I'm a firm believer that when it's our own time, we'll all be reunited again in a much better place. You'll know when the time is right and just remember that there are a lot of animals out there that need a good loving home who will be just as devoted and loving in their own way.

Three44s
09-08-2017, 09:39 AM
After a good number of really good dogs and the enevitible loss over time I realized it's not the loss that lasts, it's the years you have their friendship and love that you remember the most.

Sorry for your loss. I hope you find the desire to invest your love in another soon.

Three44s

09-08-2017, 09:59 AM
The down side of pure love is the loss. You had to have the love to experience the loss. We dog lovers all have to go through the same loss, but getting another, even though it will never replace the last one, adds to our lives with more love. Toughest thing I've had to do.

Handloader109
09-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Sorry for your loss. They all go too soon. Our old man is now 16 and is creeping around, back bothering him something fierce and is slow to eat.
I expect only a short time for him. Wife will be really upset as he's her dog. Give yourself a few months and go get another pup. Best remedy.
You are not replacing him, Can't do that, just getting new dog.

shdwlkr
09-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Sorry you lost a good friend and companion over the years I have had to put down a lot of pets never gets easier. The last was a cat that was with me for 20 years really hard to let her go. I have two cats now and a small dog one day I will lose them also, just the way life is with pets. Will I get another I am not sure as I am much older now, but they do give me a reason to see each new day as they never make life boring. No one can feel your pain, but we can all who have had to put down a pet understand how much it hurts.

gwpercle
09-08-2017, 05:02 PM
Sorry for your loss.
Take solace in the fact that you loved him, cared for him, gave him a good home and he had a good and happy life.

Eddie17
09-08-2017, 05:28 PM
It's really hard to lose a best friend! Memories are golden! Never forget your friends.
Sorry for your loss of a good friend.

375supermag
09-08-2017, 05:58 PM
Sorry for your lost...
Been there, done that...years later it still hurts.
I miss a few old canine friends...hope I get to see them on the other side.

William Yanda
09-08-2017, 06:12 PM
I share your sorrow. Our dog is a ****zu, almost 14 and failing,but my daughter has a Newfie, her second. Someone already said they are all different. Tonka, the current Newfie is very different than Kota, the first. I swear that I can see the wheels turning when he looks at me.

Blackwater
09-08-2017, 06:43 PM
Putting down a beloved dog is the hardest thing I've ever done in my whole life. Bill, my Britany, was about 17 as nearly as I could figure, and he finally got to where he'd just lay there and whimper and squeal. I knew it was time, but could not do it, lest he "might" get better. But that wasn't to be. I know I did the right thing, but couldn't do it myself, so called the vet. I held him in my arms, crying, as the doc administered the shots. I still tear up just thinking about that wonderful dog. Still miss him, but I know I did the right thing for him. God allowed me his wonderful presence in my life a lot longer than he does for most dogs, so I can only thank Him for his Grace in that. Just another indication that nothing in our lives is "forever," and sooner or later, we must part with everything we know here. Knowing God's ways, I can only wonder how great Heaven will be, and what wonders await us there.

Some say that no animals have a soul, but I'm not entirely sure about that. Some seem to appropriate part of our souls, so if Bill and some other dogs I've had meet me in Heaven, I won't really be all that surprised. I think it'd be entirely appropriate for some of the dogs I've known and loved.

jlchucker
09-08-2017, 06:48 PM
Sorry about your dog. I understand--I don't have a dog, but up until a week ago I had two cats. One, a little black female, developed diabetes, which took her quickly. I had her put down, and she went to her maker gracefully, like the queen she was. She's up there sitting on God's knee, watching your dog check in at the Rainbow Bridge. At some point, we will all see our pets again up there. Take care, friend.

Moonie
09-09-2017, 07:14 PM
Nothing like a big dog, we have 2 Great Pyrenees and a Newf pup that is almost 7 months old (90lbs, going to be a big one). They don't live as long as the smaller breed but they make up for it with the size of their love. Ours love the grandkids, and the teenage daughters. DO NOT mess with them when Jackson is in the room, he is VERY protective and will also keep their parents from going up stairs, even if the grandkids are up there as he knows they don't belong up there lol.

I would encourage you to get another, I'm sure your big boy would want that, he needs another one to watch out for you and yours.